• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoweee

Ah, looks like I'll go back then. I actually really enjoyed FMJ in the first few levels but as I went on I just began to grow away from it. Doesn't seem like I'm too far gone.

And yeah it is a shame that Elma and Lin are basically cemented into your party even after Chapter 3. Though I can't think of a way of changing that without either changing their role in the story.

They could appear in the cutscenes without being in the party, like Tatsu.

Amazon got my Special Edition to me today. I have to say, the packaging seems really cheap. I know it's in the middle of my finals, but maybe I can play a little, right...

aravuus

Oh for fuck's sake, some of these enemies stay aggroed for faar too long. Took on the mad monk quest and apparently I'm gonna have to kill 5 level 40 enemies with this level 20 POS character in my party cause I can't talk to the guy in the cave thanks to these big assholes having a stupid long aggro range, specially considering they're like turtles

Monsters shooting projectiles through walls over a hundred meters is not cool

I'm gonna try that Elma sneaking trick and if that won't work, I don't know what I'm gonna do

Elma trick did it, after a couple of tries

Lame quest

Again, anyone know if there's NG+? I want to choose the worst, most assholish choices in all quests on another playthrough, but I'd rather not go through all the side content again. Just want to blaze through.

Ah, looks like I'll go back then. I actually really enjoyed FMJ in the first few levels but as I went on I just began to grow away from it. Doesn't seem like I'm too far gone.

And yeah it is a shame that Elma and Lin are basically cemented into your party even after Chapter 3. Though I can't think of a way of changing that without either changing their role in the story.
Personally I'm gonna stick with it as I've been having fun and enjoy the idea of positional based high risk high reward combat. I don't think the Elma AI likes using skills that like half your life for TP or even prioritizes staying behind the enemy for backstabbing damage.

As to what they could've done, a nice way to not force people to have those two level up to the appropriate level at the beginning of each chapter story mission. Or have those two and only those two level up automatically as you do. That way you could play with the party that you wanted for the majority of the game and switch to those two when you start a story mission.

I gotta be honest, contrary to popular opinion I love the sound mixing. I've been annoyed by quiet music for a long time, to me this is the only game to get it right. Trust me I'm not missing any of Tatsu's dialogue by having it drowned out by this great OST.

This is especially an issue in Xenoblade 3D, which I was just playing a day or so before this came out and was thinking a lot about this as I played. You can barely hear the music, I don't see how people think that isn't a problem by comparison.

Chaos17

I finished chapter 4, it was kinda quick since I explored a lot so I just had to fast travel.
Lao seems to have a good synergy with Elma and Lin. He talks much more than Gwin or Erina in combat.
I hope in the futur reserve members will either share exp or catch up more easely than now.

They could appear in the cutscenes without being in the party, like Tatsu.

Yeah, that's why I said that I hope the dev will find some new idea/comprise for his next game since he has been playing western rpgs recently.

Nintendo of America ‏@NintendoAmerica 28 minil y a 28 minutes
The #XenobladeChroniclesX designers were inspired by samurai when creating the game’s armor. Can you see it?

CVo1dHzWIAAYJs3.jpg:large

That's so cool !

jorgejjvr

At work when I should be exploring Mira...

One concern I have is that there's so many quests and Affinity missions that I want to do, plus I get side tracked killing tyrants, that I'm worried when I finally end up doing story missions, that I'll be too over power and destroy bosses etc

I love a good challenge, I prefer being like a level or two below someone, so that it feels more satisfying taking them down

Goetia actually took me a bit to put down, which is good

I'm going to have to find the right balance of doing quests and getting the story missions done

Chaos17

I'm going to have to find the right balance of doing quests and getting the story missions done
Yeah, it's important to found a balance. Iersonally I was trying to force myself to level up new party membrers to do their affinity quest but I didn't liked it.
I think, I will just power level them up, later.

Seriously I shut down those messages because every one of them was "hurr hurr press l+a for shulk hurr hurr"

Same :(

jmizzal

Theres a girl next to the job board that you can talk to but I think it's not till Chapter 4

what are the ways to get to the point where you can level up your field skills?

Is it just doing job board missions?

I need to explore more of a section to move on in story mission, but to access one of the probes I need to be mechanic level 3, I wanna be able to get level 3 quickly as possible.

Golnei

I'm surprised by how endearing I'm finding American Shulk to be, given how lukewarm I was on the original - I wouldn't have even minded if they got Adam Howden to voice him as well. Maybe he's just better suited to a supporting role.

Plum

Seriously I shut down those messages because every one of them was "hurr hurr press l+a for shulk hurr hurr"

Why would someone press L and A for shulk when you can make Shulk: Weird Eyes Edition in the beginning?

But seriously, running around New LA with an American party sporting American accents as a Brit is amazing. Best male voice by far.

I don't remember the quest requirements off the top of my head, but I don't remember having to leave Primordia for anything. What specifically are you looking for?

It's actually super easy, you can get the item required right by the entrance to the new area, and enemies there aren't aggressive. It only took me a few minutes when I did it last night.

Chaos17

I need to explore more of a section to move on in story mission, but to access one of the probes I need to be mechanic level 3, I wanna be able to get level 3 quickly as possible.

No, Eleanora will explain it more to you.
Her" tuto quests" unlocked after chapter 3 for me, same wiht the "probes tutos quests".
If you alrady did them, then just talk to Eleanore and she will repeat how you gain those points.

Plum

No, Eleanora will explain it more to you.
Her tuto quet unlocked after chapter 3 for me, same wiht the probes tutos quests.
If you alrady did them, then just talk to Eleanore and she will repeat how you gain those points.

The probe tutorial quests are in Chapter 3 (at least the ones about Mining & Research Probes) for me but yeah, Chapter 4 is where the game really opens up.

finalflame

I really hate how fucking slow the camera moves when you're indoors. Is there a setting for this that I'm missing? Sensitivity outside is fine but indoors it's super slowed down.

Personally I found the original too hilarious because everyone was British and for an rpg that has never happened so it was funny as fuck to have some people going "oy! Kill the ickle bunnit" or whatever those were called.

Evilkazz

Banned
Put some hours down finally. The music goes from so-bad-it's-good to just straight up bad.

Agreed though I do think there are some genuinely great tracks here (NLA night, Primordia day, Tyrant theme). Once I heard that Skell battle theme, I knew I couldn't lie to myself any longer. That one's just bad.

killroy87

Agreed though I do think there are some genuinely great tracks here (NLA night, Primordia day, Tyrant theme). Once I heard that Skell battle theme, I knew I couldn't lie to myself any longer. That one's just bad.

The real cruel joke is the lack of audio options, so I can't just turn the music off and play what I want.

Plum

Personally I found the original too hilarious because everyone was British and for an rpg that has never happened so it was funny as fuck to have some people going "oy! Kill the ickle bunnit" or whatever those were called.

As a Brit I felt right at home. Those kind of JRPG battle situations are par for the course here.

Silly question, but do you need to seek out party members every time want to add them to your team?

Yep. Lots of stuff in this game necessitates having a "second screen" so you can look stuff up. Well, a third screen actually since you also have the gamepad.

Fandangox

But seriously, running around New LA with an American party sporting American accents as a Brit is amazing. Best male voice by far.

Yeah, at first I thought that choosing that option without making the MC look like Shulk would be a bit jarring, but its actually pretty great.

Gattsu25

Banned

I *loved* the accents in Xenoblade Chronicles. Naturally, I chose one of the "classic" (read: British) voices when creating my character in X

For as much flak as she gets, Lin's introduction was friggin awesome. But then she ruined it by bringing up Skell fanfiction she wrote. Lin plz.
Also I chose the Shulk voice actor for my character and lmfao at 'I'm really feeling it' ... They kept it in.

then you walljump up there and Solid Snake past a gorillion level 55 enemies, drop down on the probe from above and mash the A button just fast enough to place it before they kill you.

atmJBjB.gif
:lol

The worst is when you MGS your way in, but your mechanical skill level is too low. Never again.

Everyone should level up their mechanical skill to 4 before any of the others. Then you only have to worry about the rare level 5 data probes.

Everyone should level up their mechanical skill to 4 before any of the others. Then you only have to worry about the rare level 5 data probes.

I'm just gonna get mine to level 5 first thing and then do the others. Probes give me resources and money. Sure archaeological would be nice to have but I'd rather be able to unlock every probe asap.

h0tp0ck3t

When you press start it should show at the bottom your character level, class level, and blade level, blade level is the one you want. I think it works the same way as leveling up your character so just doing missions, killing stuff, etc

Dineren

Banned
I'm just gonna get mine to level 5 first thing and then do the others. Probes give me resources and money. Sure archaeological would be nice to have but I'd rather be able to unlock every probe asap.

Level 5 is apparently locked behind a quest so you'll have to do the others first. The whole system seems weird to me. The vast majority of stuff whether it is a probe or treasure requires mechanical. It feels like the other ones were just tacked on at the last minute.

JCX

Maybe it's not as jarring since I just finished Persona 3 and 4, but I love all of the soundtrack so far, even the main battle theme that sounds like a demo for a rejected song on Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory.

Had a good day! Hit level 30 so can replace my Skell now. Got a bunch of quests done , including unlocking customization and adding equipment slots, which is good because the shops I have are almost finished upgrading.

Mastered my first final level class, now trying to wean off of my old setup to try new weapons. It's hard going back to nothing, especially since I essentially ignored everything from my last class for the combo I was rolling with--but I was at least using the proper weapons for the class just in case! Swapping out daggers is going to be rough because I had a clutch heal on there. Wonder if there's anything wrong with just keeping my setup regardless of class since weapons are mastered and theory crafting a better setup to eventually use...

Really need to figure out how equipment works. 5th tier shop gear seems to not have open slots, but yet to check if i can add any. The base stats all seem pretty similar to even low level great, so I'm assuming the real effective boost is supposed to come from vanilla skills, since upgrades are limited. I've noticed some skills don't seem to be reflected in the weapon comparison tooltip. Really annoying system for me right now.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So I was heading to
Sylvanium
for an affinity quest and why has no one mentioned the
land bridge
before? There's literally
an entire series of islands between the two landmasses that isn't on the map
and no one ever mentioned it, I was fucking legit shook when I discovered it. I was shook even harder when
I discovered they were inhabited by lvl35-ish Ganglion dudes

That shit was beyond real, I did not expect it at all. They really fucking nailed this game, the sense of exploration comes through so clearly. My jaw is constantly hitting the floor whenever I go somewhere new.

Had a good day! Hit level 30 so can replace my Skell now. Got a bunch of quests done , including unlocking customization and adding equipment slots, which is good because the shops I have are almost finished upgrading.

Mastered my first final level class, now trying to wean off of my old setup to try new weapons. It's hard going back to nothing, especially since I essentially ignored everything from my last class for the combo I was rolling with--but I was at least using the proper weapons for the class just in case! Swapping out daggers is going to be rough because I had a clutch heal on there. Wonder if there's anything wrong with just keeping my setup regardless of class since weapons are mastered and theory crafting a better setup to eventually use...

Really need to figure out how equipment works. 5th tier shop gear seems to not have open slots, but yet to check if i can add any. The base stats all seem pretty similar to even low level great, so I'm assuming the real effective boost is supposed to come from vanilla skills, since upgrades are limited. I've noticed some skills don't seem to be reflected in the weapon comparison tooltip. Really annoying system for me right now.

If I remember right you can mix and match arts once you master a class. So if you don't want to lose dagger arts, because you think the shield ones suck for example, you can do that. I think.

Mupod

Returned the 'my preorders aren't here and I need this game right now' copy I bought from EBgames on Friday. My 2013 future shop preorder came in yesterday and the $15 one from amazon is still on its way. I'll just hold on to that one I guess. Maybe find someone at a toronto-gaf meetup to trade it for splatoon or something.

While I was there I saw they had a copy of the guide so I grabbed that, guy gave me the 20% off for buying the game even though I was returning it. Might come in handy next time I get one of those many, many quests that don't actually tell you where shit drops. But like a Souls game it's mostly for collection's sake/bathroom reading when the game's done.

BlueEyedBeast

Neo Member
Looking forward to getting back into it tonight after work! So much stuff to do, my mind is buzzing with quests and upgrades. lol

Been playing a sniper (I forget what the class is called without the game in front of me) and so far I've really enjoyed it. I just maxed out that class, though, so I will probably try out the dual gunner/swordsman next.

Neoweee

Maybe it's not as jarring since I just finished Persona 3 and 4, but I love all of the soundtrack so far, even the main battle theme that sounds like a demo for a rejected song on Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory.

Most of the soundtrack is actually very good. The Skell battle theme is quite possibly the worst track I've heard in a game.

Mupod

Duelist has been okay but I only chose this path because I wanted to play a 'tank' and I didn't realize that the game forced Lin on you all the time. And one of the other characters I like is a shield guy too.

I loved playing as Melia for a large chunk of Xenoblade so I guess I'll try a caster of some kind next.

Deku89

Is it just me, or do a lot of quests have multiple people dying off screen? Many quests begin with "Multiple teams have been wiped out, so we're sending you guys." You'd think they'd begin to run out of people. Unless
it has to do with the spoiler after chapter 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom