• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omnicent

When you walk five minutes to a probe location only to see the beam of light on top of a huge ass mountain.

LXOT5Lq.gif
You can climb some mountains pre-skell, just have to find the right path/footing ad hope you don't fall. I did this yesterday, but I needed like rank4/5. Luckily there was another probe location close by on a beach below that I could activate (where a giant lv.55 angler fish floated around during the day... FML)

killroy87

Noob question. 8 hours in, still have no idea how to level up my field skills. Is that something I just haven't encountered yet in the game?

killroy87

Is the game playable without the wii u gamepad?

Gamepad functions but the lcd back light went out.

No, and it's super annoying. You technically can play it with the Pro Controller just fine, but you'll need the map at points, and they refused to even offer it as an option on you menu. Not sure why they even offered Controller support if you'll need your Gamepad beside you anyway.

No, and it's super annoying. You technically can play it with the Pro Controller just fine, but you'll need the map at points, and they refused to even offer it as an option on you menu. Not sure why they even offered Controller support if you'll need your Gamepad beside you anyway.

My setup works perfectly with using the pro controller and gamepad combo, but yeah you're locked into having the gamepad near you.

Makonero

Does your division choice affect what quests are available? I'm in the Pathfinders right now, but I kinda want to bum around NLA and do sidequests. Would changing to a Mediator facilitate more quests like that?

Man, does that suck. My gamepad works just fine but I find using it really uncomfortable and use the pro whenever possible.

I guess I can have the pad on a table beside me and use the pro to actually play, at least.

I love the game, but I hate the music.

Why WHY is the music so terrible, the trailers mislead me to expect epic tracks :(

I like a lot of the tracks but the mixing is horrible. Some options would've been nice. We have so many camera options but no sound options. I don't get it.

Dineren

Banned
I'm glad I bought a usb to wii u cable so I could charge my gamepad from my ps4 or PC while I'm playing. I actually really like having the map available on the gamepad while playing on the pro controller and don't think I'd want to play any other way.

killroy87

Man, does that suck. My gamepad works just fine but I find using it really uncomfortable and use the pro whenever possible.

I guess I can have the pad on a table beside me and use the pro to actually play, at least.

To be fair, you won't need the map that often. It's more just obnoxious because it's something that could 100% have been a menu option.

Noctilum is fucking HUGE.

When I had to go there for mission 4, I thought it was a big and took a long time to get to the destination. Then I looked at the map and saw that I had only been running around in a small section that's connected to a many times larger part. Can't wait to explore the rest of it, Noctilum looks so nice and the music is great.

You only need the gamepad for fast travel and changing probes. Normally I enjoy playing games with the gamepad but for this game i switched to the pro controller since I've been playing in long sessions.

massoluk

Banned
Keep getting killed while exploring Noctilum. I can already tell Level 20-30 is going to be a pain. That hellish bridge of level gap before the ride smooths out again. Chapter 5 was hard enough navigating around high 20s mob to get to low 20s bosses.

R.D.Blax

What's the idea of locking a affinity quest behind a basic mission... Anybody know the frequency of the mission board refresh ? Or I have to rest my game every time until I get the mission I want ?

Fuck. I had hoped when I pre-installed the data packs on a USB Flash stick, my savefile would have been put in internal storage. Guess not and now I am frustrated at the thought of constantly backing up to my PC because Nintendo.

Yeah, it sucks, but at least you are finding out now rather than when it is too late!

Dineren

Banned
Was the music louder than the voice tracks during cutscenes in the Japanese version? It seems crazy that it wasn't changed during localization if so. I actually love the music and find it pretty hilarious when it completely drowns out the voices during a cutscene, but they had to have known it would annoy a lot of people.

I listen to the 8-4 podcast pretty regularly, but don't recall them ever mentioning it in the past.

You can hit R to switch between weapon stats and art info for those. It doesn't show you the name of the art, but they're always the same one between different variants of the same weapon series, and all the important stats are based on the weapon itself anyway.

Not all of the 'boss' enemies show up in the bestiary. I have no idea why :/
ahh thanks... i've a feeling that the skills are fixed for weapon type
btw, how's the probe app coming along? :v
SO I picked this up Saturday night (e-version) and downloaded it overnight and started to play yesterday morning- like the graphics so far- i am at the point where you fight that first tyrant (played for ~2hrs- i explored, killed, etc gotta get a handle on how to do combat still -never did more than a few hrs of xenoblade) and my daughter comes downstairs and...wants to play (she is 11) so i let her...an hr later one of my sons(he is 11) comes downstairs...and HE wants to play....then ~45 minutes later (daughter still playing) my oldest son(14) comes down and......HE wants to play..... Sigh overall between the 3 of them they played the game for almost 12hrs yesterday (excluding my couple of hrs)(each on their own accounts so no shared save data)

they like it so far, my oldest is the best at combat right now, he just...destroys things-he'll do dbl gun then charge in with swords and the mob drops 50% hp in like 5 seconds (though it was hilarious, he is demolishing a mob and this level 82 tyrant just comes trotting along, Bam one shot,.. i just started laughing)

we all are liking it so far. which reminds me, i gotta text them to prevent fighting when they get home from school (half day) i have them set a timer for an hr or 90 minutes so each gets an even amount of time playing.
hahaha nice to hear that your children enjoying this game as well

Plum

This has been troubling me today so it looks like my account got activated just in time!

I'm currently going down the Full Metal Jaguar path (Level 17 atm) and I'm 5 or so levels into the second class in the tree (forget the name). My issue is is that I'm simply not liking how it plays; the whole combo system with little auto-attack damage really doesn't do it for me. The arts aren't the best and with Elma in my party I feel slightly redundant. Am I too late to change my class without a long period of grinding? I'm thinking of just going for Duelist instead yet I haven't even started that tree.

Jarmel

Banned
Keep getting killed while exploring Noctilum. I can already tell Level 20-30 is going to be a pain. That hellish bridge of level gap before the ride smooths out again. Chapter 5 was hard enough navigating around high 20s mob to get to low 20s bosses.

That's an issue I'm having with the game in that I have no clue what level I'm supposed to be at times. Sometimes the game is hard as fuck when you're at the appropriate level and others it's fairly easy. Mix that in conjunction with mobs whose levels span all over the place and I'm not sure if I'm over or underleveled considering how much I grinded.

Noctilum is fucking HUGE.

Every new region I enter I'm like "wow this place is huge" but then I look at my gamepad and turns out I'm not even seeing 90% of the fucking place. Every region is more than big enough for a standard RPG game but this game has 5 of them.

Most of all I'm looking forward to being able to challenge most of these enemies after I'm leveled up enough.

Parshias7

Does anyone have any tips for the second leg of Lin's early affinity quest?

I picked "fix the problem for good" and now its expecting me to travel to another continent. My hardcover player's guide came today and it lists the quest as ending right there if you pick the first option, but I didn't and am worried I'll have to MGS my way into the new area.

aravuus

Oh for fuck's sake, some of these enemies stay aggroed for faar too long. Took on the mad monk quest and apparently I'm gonna have to kill 5 level 40 enemies with this level 20 POS character in my party cause I can't talk to the guy in the cave thanks to these big assholes having a stupid long aggro range, specially considering they're like turtles

Monsters shooting projectiles through walls over a hundred meters is not cool

I'm gonna try that Elma sneaking trick and if that won't work, I don't know what I'm gonna do

Dineren

Banned

I picked "fix the problem for good" and now its expecting me to travel to another continent. My hardcover player's guide came today and it lists the quest as ending right there if you pick the first option, but I didn't and am worried I'll have to MGS my way into the new area.

I don't remember the quest requirements off the top of my head, but I don't remember having to leave Primordia for anything. What specifically are you looking for?

hoserx

You will have to stealth it a bit, that's part of this game for sure. You have to collect some items right? Remember that some of them can be purchased from the Blade Terminal. (I'm looking at you energy tubes from puges)

This has been troubling me today so it looks like my account got activated just in time!

I'm currently going down the Full Metal Jaguar path (Level 17 atm) and I'm 5 or so levels into the second class in the tree (forget the name). My issue is is that I'm simply not liking how it plays; the whole combo system with little auto-attack damage really doesn't do it for me. The arts aren't the best and with Elma in my party I feel slightly redundant. Am I too late to change my class without a long period of grinding? I'm thinking of just going for Duelist instead yet I haven't even started that tree.
I mean the worst thing that happens is that you gotta start from zero but I think the upgrade points come directly from the classes leveling up.

I'm also going for full Metal jaguar and yeah at points I'm stressed out that I can't switch Elma out because she's a key party member and you need her to be leveled up with you.

Kind of bullshit that they basically force you to keep the same two members with you all of the time unless you wanna make them grind later. Makes those two classes essentially pointless to go for unless you stop caring.

Like at this point I just give her the weapons I don't wanna use.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
they like it so far, my oldest is the best at combat right now, he just...destroys things-he'll do dbl gun then charge in with swords and the mob drops 50% hp in like 5 seconds (though it was hilarious, he is demolishing a mob and this level 82 tyrant just comes trotting along, Bam one shot,.. i just started laughing)

My two daughters, 3 and 7 years old - like watching me play. Both of them, I let them run around and "explore". This game is great - there's no penalty for death. Sure, I just let my 3 year old run around the world "fighting" monsters and whatever, its of no consequence!

Golnei

If I could remove the Lyrics it would probably improve most of the songs :p

In terms of general quality, they could have benefited from just having better lyrics and vocalists, but for their use in cutscenes, I agree that using instrumentals or selectively cutting the vocals could have helped. Take the cutscene at the end of Chapter 3; for example - playing the song as an instrumental until the chorus would have made the transition much less jarring.

Plum

I mean the worst thing that happens is that you gotta start from zero but I think the upgrade points come directly from the classes leveling up.

I'm also going for full Metal jaguar and yeah at points I'm stressed out that I can't switch Elma out because she's a key party member and you need her to be leveled up with you.

Kind of bullshit that they basically force you to keep the same two members with you all of the time unless you wanna make them grind later. Makes those two classes essentially pointless to go for unless you stop caring.

Like at this point I just give her the weapons I don't wanna use.

Ah, looks like I'll go back then. I actually really enjoyed FMJ in the first few levels but as I went on I just began to grow away from it. Doesn't seem like I'm too far gone.

And yeah it is a shame that Elma and Lin are basically cemented into your party even after Chapter 3. Though I can't think of a way of changing that without either changing their role in the story.

That other place isn't too bad you can get the items right at the beginning/entrance and there aren't any violent enemies around there. As to the tubes, if you have I believe 44 blade tickets from other people doing guild quests while you're online you'll be fine and can buy them.

If not do what I did and just go to the place those enemies spawn at low level (prone camp). There's 2 right in front of where you find tatsu.

Kill them, if they don't drop it save and quit to title menu and return they should be respawned.

I have to wonder how many things I've irreparably ruined quest wise. Was just finishing a Proper Chopper and
one of the NPCs definitely dies if you do the wire wrong.
This is pretty in your face but I wonder how many small things there are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom