• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought the game. $85 dollars. Damn that hurt. Okay now ready for more Xenoblade :D If I did pretty much everything in the original (160 hours) I shouldn't really have nuch trouble grasping the systems in the new one right?

Klyka

Banned
Is it just me, or do a lot of quests have multiple people dying off screen? Many quests begin with "Multiple teams have been wiped out, so we're sending you guys." You'd think they'd begin to run out of people. Unless
it has to do with the spoiler after chapter 5.

I thought they
can't actually build new bodies?

aravuus

Goddamn it Hope, you.. YOU BITCH

I WILL MAKE YOU LIKE ME WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT

(i.e. grinding for affinity is shit)

e:

look at this WOMAN

GfxAwh5.jpg

doesn't even care that I'm standing right here looking snazzy af

MouldyK

Man, I really love the world in this game. Only been Primordia and Noctilus, but running outside of the City with a handful of quests to do feels more like an adventure than any other RPG I played.

Shame that we going more Story-Driven next game thanks to Japan...Id like X's world and XB's story.

So why am I reading pathfinder is a poor division choice? Which one should I choose then?
I believe the bonus to the recommended activity (I can't say for sure not having the game and nobody writing these things down) does not make up for how little you do that activity in comparison to the activities of other divisions (in other words the recommended activity bonuses are poorly balanced). You'll still be getting points from doing other activities and even some minor bonuses maybe...

But if you want division rewards choose the harriers or interceptors (if you can afford them) as they have been topping the leaderboards.

I'm also wondering if curator (and to a lesser extent prospector) could be viable for a little bit (up to BLADE level 4 for getting mechanical up) if you can get to a secret area in Oblivia (spoilers for location) (5 points per collectible for Curator, 3 for prospector, 1 for others). I assume that is a fast travel point nearby and I also assume fast travel resets items. Still I wouldn't farm for BLADE level as level 6>7 is 15000 points alone (assuming you can get 100 points a minute doing that secret area loop that is still over 2 hours). On another note the example screenshot in the manual had a level 50 player with BLADE level 6.

Can I cash in Division points or something? I haven't found anything I can do related to divisions.
The division points automatically go into your BLADE level. If you mean Division Rewards you can collect those from the BLADE network console once a day but on some days only the top divisions are rewarded.

Apparently my package from Amazon.fr is lost lol...it was only 20 mins away.
That is terrible. Hope they can sort something out.

Kill them, if they don't drop it save and quit to title menu and return they should be respawned.
Does fast travel also work? It would be slightly faster in terms of loading times but might be slower in terms of having to move back to the point where the enemies are.

Seriously I shut down those messages because every one of them was "hurr hurr press l+a for shulk hurr hurr"
I'd press B+X to feel like Kamiya but you're probably right turning off squad reports sounds like a better idea.

I'm just gonna get mine to level 5 first thing and then do the others. Probes give me resources and money. Sure archaeological would be nice to have but I'd rather be able to unlock every probe asap.
Just so you know you can't get to level 5 in a field skill by BLADE level up reward. That is to say at BLADE level 5 you'll put it into archeology level 2.

Klyka

Banned
They said they couldn't until
they found the resources that are in the lifehold.

I think it's just a case of game logic, there's also no way the wildlife is repopulating as fast as you are killing them.

I think it's also a case of
the game not representing actual sizes/numbers. Just like the entire planet is obviously not as small as what we see in the game, NEw LA also has a LOT more people in it than we can ever interact with.

If I remember right you can mix and match arts once you master a class. So if you don't want to lose dagger arts, because you think the shield ones suck for example, you can do that. I think.
That's right, but I've already swapped out my new ranged weapon with my old one. I'll in no way resemble the new class if I swap melee too lol. There's no way to experiment with new skills this way, as you won't be using the right weapons to use them and will have no feel for the new class. Which might be okay. Might do some theory crafting when I wake up and see what would be a fun build.

This is reminding me a of The Secret World, class wise. Not as open, but same general idea of mixing and matching passive skills with weapon skills from all over to make ideal setups. That game has suggested builds but no classes, a little more open than this game, but effectively quite similar.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Okay, I re-read the Multiplayer explanation stuff. After 10 hours in, it makes sense to re-read the "tutorials" since NOW you know the terminology and vocabulary being used.

So has anyone tried the Squad Missions yet? I'm curious how that works.

And also when sending out Squad messages, those aren't real-time or anything right? So if you find a monster that's on the Squad kill list - you send out a message "The monster is located over here by X, hurry up and come kill it!" - it's not like people are going to see that in real-time, right?

Mupod

Bought the game. $85 dollars. Damn that hurt. Okay now ready for more Xenoblade :D If I did pretty much everything in the original (160 hours) I shouldn't really have nuch trouble grasping the systems in the new one right?

it is actually very different. 'Systems' is definitely the word of the day here but outside of affinity and a basic resemblance in the battle system you'll be learning from the ground up. Thankfully it seems to introduce stuff gradually enough that it's not TOO overwhelming but there's still a lot to take in. For example I thought that Soul Voices were this game's equivalent of chain attacks but it actually has its own crazy-ass thing (overdrive) you get a few hours into the game.

massoluk

Banned
Funny thing about Division. I picked Prospectors because I figured I'll play support roles behind the scenes and all that shits, you know, like clerics, shaman, engineer, medics, those folks. I thought people would go for Interceptors and Harriers, and I'll just enjoy my unique status. Who want to be MINERS. Come on!

Opening Division kiosk and behold, Prospectors are no.1 division and by a decent lead :|

You'll still have tons of stuff to figure out, don't worry :p Only thing that you'll be familiar with is how to walk around, and the basics of battle systems (arts+cooldowns). There's a ton of new layers to depth in even that though.

Can the rest of the game just take place in Noctilum? The day theme there is just too damn good.

The Sylvalum themes are great too. Almost magical, yet haunting and somber at the same time. It's really something.

MouldyK

Also, I love how most of the missions are centralised in New LA and I don't need to go to various cities to look for them all.

Unfortunately thanks to work and finals I've only been able to put around 10hrs into it, but I can safely say that this will be my game of the year. It's so much fun just exploring the world. I've only just started Chapter 4 so I can't give full opinions on the story yet, but so far it's serviceable.

Also I really like the music. I was already a fan of Sawano before this game came out so I knew what I was getting out of the OST. Special mention goes to the Tyrant theme and NLA Daytime

Mupod

Guys this is important. Is there a white turtleneck in this game? How about a long skirt? My Arcueid cosplay is kind of lacking right now.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Also, I love how most of the missions are centralised in New LA and I don't need to go to various cities to look for them all.

I know, that's a good thing. However in my 10 hours I've barley spent all but 30 minutes exploring around NLA. I kinda need to do it more to collect missions, don't I? I want more "check boxes" to appear on my FrontierNav map - but the only way to do that is to talk to people in NLA, right?

Renewed

I noticed a Squad Mission that had us takedown the tyrant Diogenes 4 times. I saw no one else was making progress with it and decided to help out. By the end, I took it down all 4 times and no one made progress with the last objective...

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Question: I haven't been able to find an answer... what do the colored outlines on your hex map supposed to mean? I know I've read an answer in this thread before I had the quesiton, but now can't find it!

Diffense

The battle system is fun as you start to get the hang of it but explaining it makes it sound harder than it is.
Here's a little summary of the major points that might help some people who find the information in the manual a bit scattered. (I haven't unlocked overclock yet so that's ignored).

1)Auto attacks
*Attack automatically at a rate determined by your equipped weapon's coooldown (X button switches between your equipped melee and ranged weapon)
These:
-Do damage according to relevant (melee/range) total attack stat of character
-Build TP according to weapon stat
-Progress corresponding arts' secondary cooldown.

2)Arts
*Powerful techniques that do damage, grant buffs, inflict debuffs, raise effect auras etc.
These:
-Become disabled after use until the cooldown period has elapsed (pie filling animation)
-Can go into a secondary cooldown (green ring) which takes the art to a more powerful level upon completion. Progress it by auto-attacking with the weapon associated with the art. (Note that Melee arts can be associated with ranged weapons!)
-May also require and consume TP (if art graphic says 'TP') but arts can also have special effects which increase TP gain under various conditions.

3)TP
*Tension points
These
-Are generated by auto-attacks
-Are indicated by the green bar next to the character's HP bar
-Are consumed by some arts (usually 1000TP)
-Needed to revive fallen allies or for them to revive you before you're forced to respawn at a landmark (3000TP)

4)Soul voice
*Prompts from you or your allies
These:
-Are important as your main method of healing. An "answered" soul voice heals both participants. The character's "potential" stat affects the amount of healing.
-Are "answered" by using an art that matches the color of the soul voice prompt. The game will highlight such arts in your palette. The color represents the category of art (ranged, support etc.)
-May grant other effects in addition to healing. Check the soul voices menu for details.
-Have trigger conditions. For example, one may have a chance to occur after you deliver the finishing blow to an enemy. The likelihood of the soul voices happening, increases with party morale (the three bars that fill with yellow).
-Have customizable effects, in the case of your avatar only, who also has four soul voices for which you can also customize the trigger conditions. Other characters' soul voices are set.
In summary:
When your avatar calls out a soul voice you want your AI comrades to use a matching Art. Therefore you should assign them arts that complement your soul voices so they have a chance to respond in battle. OTOH, when your allies issue a soulvoice for an art of a particular color you'll need to have a matching art in your palette that is not in cooldown if you wish to respond. (Such arts will emit an appropriately colored glow in your art palette and you don't have forever to act!) Of course AI party members can call and answer each other too. In any case, success will grant the effects listed in the description of the soulvoice (Menu->Party->Soulvoices) along with healing.

Morale:
*How good your team is feeling
This:
-Is indicated by the three bars located just above the left side of the art palette. When your team's morale is at the highest level, all three bars will be yellow.
-Goes up when you succeed in soul challenges (the circle timing thingy). Successful soul challenges also heal your entire party and calls out a soul voice. A "perfect" soul challenge also causes TP to be earned. That TP gain increases with morale.
-Lets your party call out soul voices more frequently when it's high.
-May affect some arts' effects

Position:
*Your avatar's location relative to the targeted enemy
This:
-Is indicated by the text just above the right side of the art palette
-Gives a better chance of dodging enemy attacks and landing critical hits when you attack from behind
-Gives additional effects or damage boosts to certain arts. An art might be stronger from the front or inflict a debuff from the side (possibly only after secondary cooldown!). Check the art description.

Hopefully that overview helps anyone who's a bit unclear on how to decide what to do during the heat of battle. For example, you may not want to spam arts prematurely if you hope to answer certain soul voices. Elma, for example, may call out for a support art (green) when her HP is under 25% and responding will grant her Invincibility I and extra healing (IIRC). So if you notice her health is low you may want to wait to use your support art in anticipation of the soul voice. You don't have to target Elma with the art (even though she says "Heal me"). Just use an art in the right category and she'll get "soul healing" + any other effects granted by that soul voice. The art itself may actually buff the user only.

HTH. Experts, feel free to correct anything.

Footnote:
*Skills are passive abilities that work during battle as long as they're equipped to a Skill slot. If a skill description says it boosts your max HP by 20% or makes you more effective against beasts (Theroids), that's what it'll do.
*You can destroy enemy appendages and if those appendages are needed for a certain enemy technique, you'll disable the corresponding technique in battle. You may also get specific loot at the end of battle. A circular icon indicates the targeted part and its HP (via a green inner circle). You can only switch the targeted appendage, on an enemy with multiple potential targets, by walking around the enemy. You can also toggle "target lock" by pressing/clicking the R-stick. If you lock to an appendage, the outer part of the icon will turn red. When "target lock" is on, you can walk around the enemy without switching appendage.

Malus

Did somebody say that the probes don't gather resources/money when the Wii U is off? Because I'm pretty sure I gained a couple hundred thousand bucks overnight.

Diffense

Question: I haven't been able to find an answer... what do the colored outlines on your hex map supposed to mean? I know I've read an answer in this thread before I had the quesiton, but now can't find it!

That's the danger level of the segment (high-level, hostile indigens there!).
I think the "hotter" the color the more dangerous it is.

Jolkien

Where do I got the cotton thing for that Nopon sidequest?

bloody annoying

Hexagon south of FN 202. Far west of Noctilum, about middle'ish. Better chance to drop when it rains or early morning but they drop at any time/weather as well.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I noticed a Squad Mission that had us takedown the tyrant Diogenes 4 times. I saw no one else was making progress with it and decided to help out. By the end, I took it down all 4 times and no one made progress with the last objective...

I have Squad Mission hit list turned off my on my UI. If I see the Squad icon (green circle) above a monster's head, I'll go out of my way to kill it - otherwise I don't see the point. The game would be helpful if it let you know where the monsters/items were on your Squad hit list... but yeah. I read that people are supposed to send Squad messages when they've found a monster, but I haven't seen it.

Maybe I just need more GAF players and join their Squads.

Scout rewards?! Yay, people have actually played as SuperArttu!

So that means someone used your avatar? That's cool, I've thought about adding people's guy into my party - but then I need the other characters to get EXP points, so I don't understand why you would do that...

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
The battle system is fun as you start to get the hang of it but explaining it makes it sound harder than it is.
Here's a little summary of the major points that might help some people who find the information in the manual a bit scattered. (I haven't unlocked overclock yet so that's ignored).

1)Auto attacks
*Attack automatically at a rate determined by your equipped weapon's coooldown (X button switches between your equipped melee and ranged weapon)
These:
-Do damage according to relevant (melee/range) total attack stat of character
-Build TP according to weapon stat
-Progress corresponding arts' secondary cooldown

2)Arts
*Powerful techniques that do damage, grant buffs, inflict debuffs, raise effect auras etc.
These:
-Become disabled after use until the cooldown period has elapsed (pie filling animation)
-Can go into a secondary cooldown (green ring) which takes the art to a more powerful level. Progress it by auto-attacking with the weapon associated with the art. (Note that Melee arts can be associated with ranged weapons!)
-May also require and consume TP (if art graphic says 'TP') but arts can also have special effects which increase TP gain under various conditions.

3)TP
*Tension points
These
-Are generated by auto-attacks
-Are consumed by some arts (usually 1000TP)
-Needed to revive fallen allies or for them to revive you before you're forced to respawn at a landmark (3000TP)

4)Soul voice
*Prompts from you or your allies
These:
-Are important as your main method of healing. An "answered" soul voice heals both participants. The character's "potential" stat affects the amount of healing.
-Are "answered" by using an art that matches the color of the soul voice prompt. The game will highlight such arts in your palette. The color represents the category of art (ranged, support etc.)
-May grant other effects in addition to healing. Check the soul voices menu for details.
-Have trigger conditions. For example, one may have a chance to occur after you deliver the finishing blow to an enemy. The likelihood of the soul voices happening, increases with party morale (the three bars that fill with yellow).
-Have customizable effects, in the case of your avatar only, who also has four soul voices for which you can also customize the trigger conditions. Other characters' soul voices are set.

Morale:
*How good your team is feeling
This:
-Goes up when you succeed in soul challenges (the circle timing thingy). Successful soul challenges also heal your entire party and calls out a soul voice. A "perfect" soul challenge also causes TP to be earned. That TP gain increases with morale.
-Lets your party call out soul voices more frequently when it's high.
-May affect some arts' effects

Hopefully that overview helps anyone who's a bit unclear on how to decide what to do during the heat of battle. For example, you may not want to spam arts prematurely if you hope to answer certain soul voices. Elma, for example, may call out for a support art (green) when her HP is under 25% and responding will grant her Invincibility I and extra healing (IIRC). So if you notice her health is low you may want to wait to use your support art in anticipation of the soul voice. You don't have to target Elma with the art (even though she says "Heal me"). Just use an art in the right category and she'll get "soul healing" + any other effects granted by that soul voice. The art itself may actually buff the user only.

HTH. Experts, feel free to correct anything.

That's a great freaking summary, THANK YOU. I learned a few things I didn't know - and I'm familiar with XC!

TheMoon: you should add this summary post to the OP.

What's the recommended level for chapter 6? I'm level 26 atm will I be in for a struggle like I was with chapter 5 or am I an okay level for the chapter? Also when do you unlock skells? I'm about 24 hours in and getting a bit tired of having to run such long distances just to get to quests sometimes, especially when you've got level 35+ enemies blocking your way.

MouldyK

I know, that's a good thing. However in my 10 hours I've barley spent all but 30 minutes exploring around NLA. I kinda need to do it more to collect missions, don't I? I want more "check boxes" to appear on my FrontierNav map - but the only way to do that is to talk to people in NLA, right?

Yeah, also I am pretty sure I have the information about the Chopper Quest from running around as it says "Always the blue Wire" in my Info Notes lol

Chaos17

Found a good spot for Crush Rings and Abbot acorns or whatever they're called. Very very north of primordia past a natural bridge and some low 20s enemies.

Could you take a screenshot of the map, please ?
I tried to hunt them down the other day but I couldn't find the exact area and ending playing MGS with the mobs, lol

Raegal

What's the recommended level for chapter 6? I'm level 26 atm will I be in for a struggle like I was with chapter 5 or am I an okay level for the chapter? Also when do you unlock skells? I'm about 24 hours in and getting a bit tired of having to run such long distances just to get to quests sometimes, especially when you've got level 35+ enemies blocking your way.

I just did it at level 20, so you should be fine. Skells are unlocked after you completed a series of short quests you can do after chapter 6.

Golnei

Can the rest of the game just take place in Noctilum? The day theme there is just too damn good.

It's one of my favourite tracks in the game - even with the vocals - but whenever I hear it, I expect it to go off into the first Xenoblade's title theme when the flutes come in. They'd go together perfectly.

Jolkien

Is there any way to buy storage probes ? I need storage probe my Miranium limit is 15k and in 1 tick I mine way more than that.

Neoweee

Not really "talking" but running by people with the yellow speech bubbles.

Was information like this given for the super hidden item for the Skell mission in Oblivia? Because that was absurd.

Chapter 6 was hard. I had to grind near the end for the boss (at the best farming spot I had found in the game to that point).

My initially lost SE was finally delivered by UPS from Best Buy. The box is completely smashed and the art book is bent. The game was shipped in an envelope with no padding. Simply ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom