• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Equip strongest gear

CVpe4lsUAAAEXRG.jpg:large

WTF lol.

Vena

I bought those from the store and in the store all heavy armor has 1 upgrade and all light has 3.

ok then

The store is weird, all of its gear is actually really bad and often times very strangely slotted. I have multiple drops of higher quality gear with all sorts of random distributions of slots/upgrades.

The store is weird, all of its gear is actually really bad and often times very strangely slotted. I have multiple drops of higher quality gear with all sorts of random distributions of slots/upgrades.
Of course the drops are better than the store equipment :p

Vena

After playing it for 20 hours even a low eight doesn't sit too well with me. This is a 9+ game for me all the way.

Nah. Its fair.

The game is fucking amazing for me, but god damn if it doesn't feel like a soft breeze could cause it to all fall apart and light my WiiU on fire.

Of course the drops are better than the store equipment :p

I'm saying the store isn't indicative of gear properties.

Also, general note I've noticed, gear does not scale with you off of drops so doing as I did and roadraging over level 5/10 small enemies with a Skell is NOT a good way to farm gear. Its hilarious (and evil) but it is not of much use for drops. I swear that I did this for science, and not petty revenge.

Xenoboy

Wait, so is there any reason to upgrade AM's and buy gear if you can just get better ones by killing?
Or does upgrading AM's let you create new and better gear too?

Zomba13

Just a question (Spoilers for the end of Chapter 5)

So everyone is a mim/robot right? And they are controlled from the Lifehold by real people in stasis right? So if the Lifehold was destroyed or went out of power then all the robo/mims would die right? But what about if a robo/mim dies? Does the human die? I had a mission/quest where a woman was upset her husband died but like, if he was a robot and died isn't the real husband still in the lifehold? I understand resources are low so they can't just make new bodies for everyone all the time so if you die as a mim then you are dead until the lifehold is found but it seems weird to care when someone dies when it's more of a "see you soon. or if we don't we're all dead anyway". Plus why do they eat food? Why waste precious resources like potable water and meat/veg/fruit on robots? If it's for energy why not just make the robots solar powered?

Malus

Spent like 45 minutes running around Noctilum for an item without realizing I picked it up (6 of them actually) somewhere along the way lol. Not that it wasn't worth the trip, getting to see all the cool stuff there and collecting treasure/probes. Gotta remember to set my mission objective.

hawk2025

I'm really confused about the characters I can choose for my party.

I feel like two people were plopped into my party as choices that I didn't even know or were introduced in any way.

What's the best approach here? Can I just pick one of these fourth generic characters and keep the party as Elma + Lin + fourth guy for the remainder of the game?

Is there still affinity between all characters as Xenoblade had?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Can I do a ritual dance or something for the rain to come? >.<

the original XB was the same way. And if you need a mob/item that ONLY randomly spawns when it rains!?!? fml... (some frog in Xenoblade was like this.... rare spawn ONLY when it rains...)

but yeah, find a close by fast travel/camp and change the time til it rains.

Jolkien

So everyone is a mim/robot right? And they are controlled from the Lifehold by real people in stasis right? So if the Lifehold was destroyed or went out of power then all the robo/mims would die right? But what about if a robo/mim dies? Does the human die? I had a mission/quest where a woman was upset her husband died but like, if he was a robot and died isn't the real husband still in the lifehold? I understand resources are low so they can't just make new bodies for everyone all the time so if you die as a mim then you are dead until the lifehold is found but it seems weird to care when someone dies when it's more of a "see you soon. or if we don't we're all dead anyway". Plus why do they eat food? Why waste precious resources like potable water and meat/veg/fruit on robots? If it's for energy why not just make the robots solar powered?

They need access to the core to transfer consciousness from a mims to another mims body. So her husband is probably alive but can't be transferred yet. And I assume mims body are pretty expensive to replace.

Vena

You wipe three times and for this encounter it triggers easy mode and ask you if you wanna lower the difficulty. It comes back to normal after.

Oh it requires dying? Cross that off the list then.

Considering the immense pain X goes through when his arm is blown off, you can probably die from shock while in stasis. But in general, it seems like the mims are designed to prevent that and once it is lost, you're stuck without a body in stasis. The food and other things, as Elma tells you, is escapism for the people in NLA trying their hardest to pretend they are safe, alive, and living.

But given how urgent Lin was in closing off the pain feedback, I would think it is very, very possible that you can die from shock on the controlling end.

Jolkien

the original XB was the same way. And if you need a mob/item that ONLY randomly spawns when it rains!?!? fml... (some frog in Xenoblade was like this.... rare spawn ONLY when it rains...)

but yeah, find a close by fast travel/camp and change the time til it rains.

You don't even have to change the time this time around, you just fast travel over and over (even on the same fast travel points) and it works. Pretty handy.

I think I just made a great discovery about two characters early in the game:

Speculative spoilers:
I'm in chapter three and as I'm exploring Primordia Lyn is talking about how she wants to eat poor Tatsu already. The thing is, I haven't met Tatsu yet. So obviously Tatsu is an imaginary friend that Lyn dreamed up to replace someone she lost back on Earth. Apparently, her constantly referencing her own self created delusions is having an impact on the rest of the team and eventually they too begin to believe in he who can't be seen. So the Nopon are the souls of all those lost in the destruction of Earth and Takahashi is still hanging on to all of the psychological and metaphysical leanings of his past work! Or it was glitch. Whatever.

aravuus

If the human dies, the mim dies. Nothing happens if the mim dies.

Regular people mourn the dead, eat food etc cause they don't know they're mims. They think they're human. Only the higher ups know of the whole mim business.

Vena

If the human dies, the mim dies. Nothing happens if the mim dies.

Regular people mourn the dead, eat food etc cause they don't know they're mims. They think they're human. Only the higher ups know of the whole mim business.

Everyone knows they are a mim. What they don't know is that the mims cannot be replaced if destroyed. Only X had no idea that he was a mim.

Klyka

Banned

I think the android bodies convert the food and water and such into energy to run. I also think they are as close a spossible to human bodies so that the people in them won't go crazy. Their brain basically needs stuff to do like breathe and such.

And the woman is sad because right now,dieing means "he is not coming back". She doesn't know if they get the lifehold back,she doesn't know if they can make new androids. All she knows is her husband is gone and she might never see him again. It's basically "death".

Also, general note I've noticed, gear does not scale with you off of drops so doing as I did and roadraging over level 5/10 small enemies with a Skell is NOT a good way to farm gear. Its hilarious (and evil) but it is not of much use for drops. I swear that I did this for science, and not petty revenge.
Why would drops scale with your level anyway?

Sylas

I think eating good is more of a sanity thing than an energy thing. Lin makes it sound like they made mims to mimic human physiology really closely so you don't notice much of a difference between being a mim and a human. Easier to stand being a robot if you don't notice much of a difference, I guess?

As for the death thing--it's possible more people have forgotten they're mims. Plus, Elma makes it sound like they're keeping the whole Lifehold going offline/everyone dies for realsies thing quiet. Or something. I have no idea what she meant by, "We're trying to keep this quiet. Can't have mass panic." When there's a literal countdown clock on BLADE tower. So someone's mim body dying could be seen as pretty awful if the body itself is never retrieved since it can't just be repaired.

aravuus

Everyone knows they are a mim. What they don't know is that the mims cannot be replaced if destroyed. Only X had no idea that he was a mim.

Oh alright, figured I might be remembering things wrong since I said something different than you two

I have to say, it makes the twist pretty stupid

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

I thought they implied that only some, higher ups, and military/BLADE know. That some of the regular civilians don't know.

Klyka

Banned
I think eating good is more of a sanity thing than an energy thing. Lin makes it sound like they made mims to mimic human physiology really closely so you don't notice much of a difference between being a mim and a human. Easier to stand being a robot if you don't notice much of a difference, I guess?

As for the death thing--it's possible more people have forgotten they're mims. Plus, Elma makes it sound like they're keeping the whole Lifehold going offline/everyone dies for realsies thing quiet. Or something. I have no idea what she meant by, "We're trying to keep this quiet. Can't have mass panic." When there's a literal countdown clock on BLADE tower. So someone's mim body dying could be seen as pretty awful icf the body itself is never retrieved since it can't just be repaired.

running around the town basically no one even knows what the countdown is there for. none of the blades or civies are really aware.

aravuus

I thought they implied that only some, higher ups, and military/BLADE know. That some of the regular civilians don't know.

Yeah, I still want to believe this.
Cause everyone knowing would make the twist even dumber - NOBODY happens to mention ANYTHING regarding the mims, just so we can get this big twist? Fuck outta here

Vena

Oh alright, figured I might be remembering things wrong since I said something different than you two

I have to say, it makes the twist pretty stupid

People call it a twist but I don't think it was. It was made pretty obvious early on if you just listen to what people say and how they talk, especially Elma. I think this more of a swerve that was there all along, Chekov's Smoking Gun.

The real twists are later on.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
so a question that never got answered a few pages back (HELP ME GUYS!!!!!)

what's the consistent way to know/expect when to do a Soul Challenge... it feels like the prompt is sort of random... is there a method to that madness? I know I can go into options and change what the challenge does.. and it says there what triggers it.. but like "Start combat with ranged weapon" doesn't always give me a prompt.

aravuus

People call it a twist but I don't think it was. It was made pretty obvious early on if you just listen to what people say and how they talk, especially Elma. I think this more of a swerve that was there all along, Chekov's Smoking Gun.

It's clearly played out as a twist imo, just with heavy foreshadowing

R.D.Blax

Mimesome are made to be as induistagable as possible from a real body so that there is no problem when they get back to there real body one day. And about the death stuff, maybe there are just cautious

Sylas

I agree with this. It's not much of a twist since it's alluded to pretty consistently, just never outright stated. Mostly because, hey. I figure it's not new tech so nobody thinks twice about it anymore.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

I'm wondering on a later twist:
If the Lifehold even has any actual human bodies in it. Wondering if "Humanity" is nothing but digital versions of people, and humanity is already extinct.

Vena

It's clearly played out as a twist imo, just with heavy foreshadowing

Nah. This is actually world building 101.
The people of NLA all know this, so they won't even remotely think about it nor will a real person ever draw attention to something that is obvious to them (the opposite of which is a trope: explain for the audience to characters who should, in general, know the details already. This is story telling dissonance caused by bad handling of details). Its only for X, for you the outsider to the situation, that it is even remotely perceived as a twist. The game/narrative basically speaks of it as if it were (because, to everyone but you, it is) common knowledge.

Its played out as a shock to X, I didn't see it as a twist. Shulk
being god is a twist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom