• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah. This is actually world building 101.
The people of NLA all know this, so they won't even remotely think about it. Its only for X, for you the outsider to the situation, that it is even remotely perceived as a twist. The game/narrative basically speaks of it as if it were (because, to everyone but you, it is) common knowledge.

Its played out as a shock to X, I didn't see it as a twist. Shulk
being god is a twist
I saw you edit that second spoiler tag in!

aravuus

Nah. This is actually world building 101.
The people of NLA all know this, so they won't even remotely think about it. Its only for X, for you the outsider to the situation, that it is even remotely perceived as a twist. The game/narrative basically speaks of it as if it were (because, to everyone but you, it is) common knowledge.

Its played out as a shock to X, I didn't see it as a twist. Shulk
being god is a twist

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree! Not like I'm trying to defend the twist, swerve, whatever the fuck you want to call it, I thought it was dumb

Xeno Gaf is a cool section on Gaf and what would make Xeno Gaf better is if all of ya'll be mindful of spoilers and spoiler images. Not everyone on Gaf can trailblaze like some of you can.

Vena

I have no idea if Elma is supposed to be black or tanned.

She's mix or more Latin American in likeness if you ask me. She has no tan lines if you ever get her into Sammy's armors. I don't see why she'd need to be tanned, or why it matters.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree! Not like I'm trying to defend the twist, swerve, whatever the fuck you want to call it, I thought it was dumb

That's fine. I actually liked it from a story telling perspective. It was obvious for a while and it was handled well, imo. The story and presentation are stiff as a board but its been surprisingly genre savvy and so far the reveals and plot movements have been pretty good.

I've got Sakuraba as far as it can go and the last upgrade I got turned the quality/rarity of all their store items from blue to yellow.

All right cool thanks. Not sure if Skell armor simply is included in one of their packages then, assuming you didn't see a "unlocked skell armor" notice when you upgraded it. I have it at level 4 and haven't seen anything besides skell wear.

Zomba13

I thought they implied that only some, higher ups, and military/BLADE know. That some of the regular civilians don't know.

I think everyone knows. When Elma explains it to you she makes it sound like everyone who got onto a Project Exodus ship was put in stasis and transferred to a mim because she says they don't know how long it would take to find a new home and they didn't want people dying off because of old age and that the player just forgot because of stasis amnesia.

Qurupeke

Holy shit. I think my Skell got destroyed forever. It explode and I can't find it. :'(
Bye Lancelot...

Edit: Paid about 100000 and got him back.

Makonero

Well it would make her, the basically main character of the story, a non-white protagonist which is quite progressive for a JRPG

I mean, I was pretty shocked that Monolith decided to create New Los Angeles and not New Tokyo. It's clear they had a western audience in mind from the start.

anaron

This is a really bad review. And not because of the score. He took this much extra time and what he ended up writing was pretty short. It feels like the "end" of the review is mid-thought.
I like how the negatives are "inventory system"

looool

Diffense

People call it a twist but I don't think it was. It was made pretty obvious early on if you just listen to what people say and how they talk, especially Elma. I think this more of a swerve that was there all along, Chekov's Smoking Gun.

The real twists are later on.

I haven't gotten to this point yet but I know about it. I wasn't really spoiled. I was just watching someone else at home who's a little ahead of me. There were some things said that definitely foreshadowed the events of *that* chapter. One thing that confused me at the time was when Elma was talking about the
lifeholds and she said something to Vandham like, "We wouldn't be here talking if the Lifeholds were destroyed"
and he agreed. I had no idea what they were talking about then, before the "revelation".

Vena

Well it would make her, the basically main character of the story, a non-white protagonist which is quite progressive for a JRPG

She's the linchpin of the story, the protagonist. X is still the actual hero/enabler.

Its a rare example of a lack of a hero protagonist that is the player at the same time.

I haven't gotten to this point yet but I know about it. I wasn't really spoiled. I was just watching someone else at home who's a little ahead of me. There were some things said that definitely foreshadowed the events of *that* chapter. One thing that confused me at the time was when Elma was talking about the
lifeholds and she said something to Vandham like, "We wouldn't be here talking if the Lifeholds were destroyed"
and he agreed. I had no idea what they were talking about then, before the "revelation".

This is another example of where I think it was handled really well. Its minor details in passing conversation that make perfect sense to everyone in-universe, to the point where they wouldn't even think of it as confusing, but you.

I have no idea if Elma is supposed to be black or tanned.

Storm's race
latest

Amalthea

Banned
I finally got to the Skell license mission, boy they sure ask you to do a lot for it!

At least I got a pet cat for the HQ.

And it's really surprising how many mountains you can climb up on foot.

Myriadis

I just bought it, the first game in a long time I actually paid full price for and only a few days after launch. In fact, the guys that run the store were really surprised how well that game sold there.

The turorial and all the explainations took quite some time, but once I got my first real mission I was completely hooked. I just played about 3 hours and this is quite much for someone who doesn't game that much anymore. Lyn grew on me quickly after she fangirled about that skell.It feels so good to explore the areas and I simply just can't wait to play some more tomorrow.

R.D.Blax

Wow, I think I just dead the most Metal Gear mission ever. Infiltrating a camp full of overleveled monster, going back and forth to find some hidden key and everything.

Diffense

I just bought it, the first game in a long time I actually paid full price for and only a few days after launch. In fact, the guys that run the store were really surprised how well that game sold there.

The turorial and all the explainations took quite some time, but once I got my first real mission I was completely hooked. I just played about 3 hours and this is quite much for someone who doesn't game that much anymore. Lyn grew on me quickly after she fangirled about that skell.It feels so good to explore the areas and I simply just can't wait to play some more tomorrow.

The gamestop near me sold all of their initial copies. I hope this anecdotal evidence is a good sign that the game performed, at least, up to expectations. :p

Kinsei

Banned
The gamestop near me sold all of their initial copies. I hope this anecdotal evidence is a good sign that the game performed, at least, up to expectations. :p

I had to go to the neighboring city to find a copy. I think this is selling well for a Wii U game.

Venfayth

Xeno Gaf is a cool section on Gaf and what would make Xeno Gaf better is if all of ya'll be mindful of spoilers and spoiler images. Not everyone on Gaf can trailblaze like some of you can.

I was trying to be careful about what I posted earlier, but it's hard to know what some people consider spoilers. :(

Evilkazz

Banned
31 GOD DAMN HOURS

(Technically only 26 to get my free mecha, but an extra 5 to get from level 24 to 30 to buy other mecha).

I earned this motherfucker. I played this game for 3 days straight just to get it (Mastema).
And it's Glorious!
nalccv.jpg

aravuus

UMMMMMM, doing the affinity quest BFFs and when I
go meet the second caravan (Tatsu's mom), the cutscene about her missing triggers, but after that it still lists "head to Dodonga caravan and get a signature" as an objective.
What am I supposed to do?

e: oh thank fucking god, it just added a new mission for the next objective for some reason I will never understand. For a second there I thought the game had glitched out.

PHEW

Blues1990

Is anyone up to do some Squad Missions with me? My NNID is ChickenPotPie23.

Also, with regards to the mission "Booming Business", exactly where can I find Sludge Caecuses in Noctilum?

sora87

3 hours in and I'm already having to grind because everything is far too high level and I'm getting owned by everything. Not looking good for me.

Kinsei

Banned
3 hours in and I'm already having to grind because everything is far too high level and I'm getting owned by everything. Not looking good for me.

You're not supposed to fight that stuff. This game has a natural distribution of enemies instead of having them get stronger as you progress. Sneak past them.

People call it a twist but I don't think it was. It was made pretty obvious early on if you just listen to what people say and how they talk, especially Elma. I think this more of a swerve that was there all along, Chekov's Smoking Gun.

The real twists are later on.

they allude to it pretty heavily in the first affinity quest, "we were soldiers" or something when
you get to Irina and she's injured and Doug says he was able to make the repairs here

Ok XenoGAF, make my decisions for me. Should I power through chapter 6 to get my Skell, or should I finally slow down, enjoy the sights, do affinities and finally take a look round NLA?

TheJoRu

I don't think sales will surprise in any direction, really. In context as a Wii U JRPG releasing in December it will probably do well, but not as good as it deserves.

Purely anecdotally I've never been much of a RPG-fan, but the trailers and build-up to this game really excited me, and now I've bought and very much enjoyed both Xenoblade Chronicles-games. The game markets itself very well in videos and screenshots, IMO.

Aw man, I thought XBCX was finally delivered today, but it turns out it only arrived in my city. I was ready to go berserk when it wasn't in my mailbox in spite of its 'arrival.'

Yet another lesson in cooler heads prevailing.

Zomba13

they allude to it pretty heavily in the first affinity quest, "we were soldiers" or something when
you get to Irina and she's injured and Doug says he was able to make the repairs here

I did find that line odd when I heard it but then assumed it might've been a weird translation thing.

That's the thing when playing JRPGs, you can't really know if something that sounds weird is supposed to be that way or was just translated too literally.

What level should I be for Chapter 26 quest. I'm lvl 20 now for X, Elma and Lin with my 4th (Irina or Gwin) is around 17 and 15 respectively. I didn't have much trouble in chapter 5 but I had to duck and weave behind all those 22+ guys

I had to listen to some of the OST on youtube just to see what you guys are talking about

The New LA theme sounds like what would come out of 2005's mouth while it dry humped 1992 on a leather couch Nickelback threw away

Xenoboy

So what characters are you guys using. Last I played I had MC, Elma, Lin and Irina.
Should I even buy gear from stores? Should I make new equipment?

Edit: Did you guys let the thugs punch Justin in the face in the car mission? I didn't know that would've happened, lol.

Jolkien

Meant to fight 3 humanoid enemies, mission objective, i'm like 5 levels below them. Only option is to grind on enemies around there, but keep getting killed by them too lol.

Hmm you might be missing something, im 31 hours in didn't stop to grind once, it all happens while exploring doing sidequests do you beeline the story mission ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom