• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.
£50.00 on the eshop!

Shocking. It says I can get £9.00 off if I own xenoblade wii. Anyone know if that works with the wii disc version?

Arkain

So, how does aggro during combat work in X? It seems different from the first Xenoblade Chronicles and it's the only part of the combat system that has me a bit confused.

Most monsters seem to just be changing targets at random. That is, ofcourse, unless someone uses taunt, in which case there are clear blue lines between the taunted enemy and the tank. As a test, I had my character not use any skills except autoattacks, and the enemy still sometimes switched to attack me when he wasn't taunted, even though I was barely doing any damage. As I play a squishy enforcer, that's something I don't really want. Am I doing something wrong, or is taunt the only way to ensure that squishy characters are getting hit less?

Is there a level point where the enemies who are level 5 don't get alert by you?

I remember in Xenoblade Chronicles you stopped alerting them when you were like 10 Levels higher than them.

In the first game it was when you were 6+ levels higher, excluding unique monsters.

This game idk, I heard it's 10+ levels higher?

Plum

£50.00 on the eshop!

Shocking. It says I can get £9.00 off if I own xenoblade wii. Anyone know if that works with the wii disc version?

Nope, only if you bought XC off the eshop unfortunately. XC is a rare case though where a physical used copy is still expensive as hell, but I still wouldn't expect Nintendo to let it in on the deal.

Once I understood that I have to use soul voices to heal, every fight went more smoothly.

I hope you can unlock all the classes in one playthrough. I want to test them all.

ivysaur12

Banned
So, how does aggro during combat work in X? It seems different from the first Xenoblade Chronicles and it's the only part of the combat system that has me a bit confused.

Most monsters seem to just be changing targets at random. That is, ofcourse, unless someone uses taunt, in which case there are clear blue lines between the taunted enemy and the tank. As a test, I had my character not use any skills except autoattacks, and the enemy still sometimes switched to attack me when he wasn't taunted, even though I was barely doing any damage. As I play a squishy enforcer, that's something I don't really want. Am I doing something wrong, or is taunt the only way to ensure that squishy characters are getting hit less?

I was wondering the same thing -- it seems a lot less clear-cut than it was in XBC.

Astral Dog

Im just going to start, but how are people finding the game compared to the first Xenoblade?
True the quest are more annoying? worse tutorials? How is the difficulty?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Hey, guys. Update me.

Are you liking X over the original Xenoblade so far?

I only have time for one, unfortunately....

Combat is better thought out in XBX than in the original. The addition of ranged weapons and skills is a great inclusion, while skill rotations feel more sensical. Some of the awkward or forced mechanics from the original are reworked or excised too.

Heavy focus on exploration and chipping away at an open world rather than taking a linear journey through large zones for the sake of plot this time.

Music leaves a very rough first impression. After twenty hours spent playing this weekend, I learned to appreciate and even love it.

This game has immediately shot up to being a top three contender for 2015 in my list. Such an engrossing RPG.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
wat

I can barely do half that in an overclock combo. Tell me your secrets.

Mastermind class
Stack potential through augs or whatever dont want to gimp your other stuff
Use the Core Crusher skill bonus ether damage but negates limb damage
Save 2000 TP
Use Full Specs ART Boost potential+range attack
Use Ether blast

Laugh

I can do it on my stream in a bit if you want, oh it's aoe dmg too

Zomba13

I'm also confused. Especially as I've not been trying to tank because Lin is a "tank" character and also a central story character needed to do 90% of the things I've seen so far so I don't want to overlap with myself being another high def/hp low dmg character.

Plum

So how long did it take you to figure out how to fast travel to landmarks?

10 hours for me. I felt like such an idiot after figuring it out.

Nope, only if you bought XC off the eshop unfortunately. XC is a rare case though where a physical used copy is still expensive as hell, but I still wouldn't expect Nintendo to let it in on the deal.

Thought that would be the case. Oh well. Thanks.

Is the disk version fully on par with the eshop one once you have the extra downloaded bits?

Mupod

Im just going to start, but how are people finding the game compared to the first Xenoblade?
True the quest are more annoying? worse tutorials?

Quests are, at worst, still better than the crap in the last one. There's a lot of actually decent quests as well. There's no shortage of generic 'find X ground item' nonsense, but for example you don't actually have to pick those up. You can see from the quest board if you already have the required items, so you can just wait until you've found 17 sparkling bear asses before taking that quest. Also there are occasional navigational aids for monster hunting quests...except when there aren't, and then it's just as annoying as the previous game.

So far I haven't really felt like I was in a 'tutorial' much if at all. It gives you some basic instruction but it's more about gradually introducing features. It only holds back a few things though, there's always plenty of systems to explore. Honestly I'm someone who can't stand forced tutorials and I'm fine with this game so far. If anything I wish it had something other than the manual to explain some stuff, like Overdrive which I'm still not clear on.

Chapter 9's kicking my ass. I was so happy when I finished the fight thinking it was finally over and then....PART 2. I think I need to level up or something, I came close to winning one time but I don't think it's happening tonight.

Plum

Thought that would be the case. Oh well. Thanks.

Is the disk version fully on par with the eshop one once you have the extra downloaded bits?

Of X? Yes, definitely. The download version is basically just the same as the disc version with the data packs already installed. They're completely identical outside of the obvious physical/download differences.

Mupod

Mastermind class
Stack potential through augs or whatever dont want to gimp your other stuff
Use the Core Crusher skill bonus ether damage but negates limb damage
Save 2000 TP
Use Full Specs ART Boost potential+range attack
Use Ether blast

Laugh

I can do it on my stream in a bit if you want, oh it's aoe dmg too

Funny, I was already going to do that class next because Duelist isn't working out for me.

Malvingt2

I did chapter 5 and

CVqFEwiU4AAIIrq.jpg

Dad

Are people really getting looted gear that's better than the stuff from the stores? I've gotten maybe 2 or 3 drops that were legitimately good so far. Everything else has been several levels below me with terrible augments

TheMoon

That's a great freaking summary, THANK YOU. I learned a few things I didn't know - and I'm familiar with XC!

TheMoon: you should add this summary post to the OP.

Out of space (should've reserved the 2nd post lol) but I'll link to it in the combat section.

added the combat and data probe guide to the OP as links

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Uncontrollable (Tyrant theme) has been playing in my head the last hour. Still an hour and a half left to go
;_;
Uncontrollable has to be one of the best themes for this type of game, it's so hype and bumping, especially when your in the groove and getting nice combos off a tyrant and the whole squad is feeling themselves, it's what I live for.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is there any reason to hold onto old armor? Is there a way to break it into mats, or should I just sell it off? Same with weapons?

Has someone figured out what the difficulty stars translate to?

As in 'difficulty level' 3 stars for a hunting/killing mission. Does it mean the boss is minimum level 30?

El Odio

Banned
That A Proper Chopper quest had me looking for some collectible in Noctilum and next thing you know it's 2 hours later with most of the area probed. God I love this game.

Fucking Affinity Missions! My part is only at around lvl 15 and yet it's taking me into areas with enemies in the 30s and 40s and deep into Oblivia. Not to mention I can't cancel out of them or take on other missions either! :(

Not to mention it doesn't give you any sense what the difficulty level is before you accept it

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Fucking Affinity Missions! My part is only at around lvl 15 and yet it's taking me into areas with enemies in the 30s and 40s and deep into Oblivia. Not to mention I can't cancel out of them or take on other missions either! :(

A lot of quests make you go through high level zones. Just avoid the mobs, anything the quest expects you to kill will be at your level.

TheMoon

Not to mention it doesn't give you any sense what the difficulty level is before you accept it

That's why you save before accepting one.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Anyone have advice for "scouting" hexes to find whatever true icon is? Is there some method to finding the quest or treasure or whatever? Do the ones with quests always have the quests available, or do some unlock later in the game?

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
I finished chapter 4 but am kinda in a lul. All the quests I have no are gathering ones and I'd rather kill stuff. I can't get to chapter 4 until I do a certain quest but I don't know where it is.

You will have to stealth it a bit, that's part of this game for sure. You have to collect some items right? Remember that some of them can be purchased from the Blade Terminal. (I'm looking at you energy tubes from puges)

where can i find the blade terminal

Would putting the data packs on the Wii U instead of my external hard drive help with pop in at all? I'm getting a little weary of it at this point and it's ruining some of the immersion.

alvis.exe

Is there a level point where the enemies who are level 5 don't get alert by you?

I remember in Xenoblade Chronicles you stopped alerting them when you were like 10 Levels higher than them.

In the first game it was when you were 6+ levels higher, excluding unique monsters.

This game idk, I heard it's 10+ levels higher?

Fairly sure it's 10 in this game. I asked earlier but no one replied I think :p

But yeah it used to be 6 so when I passed that level and things were still attacking me I got a little worried they'd taken it out haha.

Dineren

Banned
Are people really getting looted gear that's better than the stuff from the stores? I've gotten maybe 2 or 3 drops that were legitimately good so far. Everything else has been several levels below me with terrible augments

For me I've gotten pretty good armor drops, but weapons I've had pretty bad luck with so I've been buying those.

Chapter 9's kicking my ass. I was so happy when I finished the fight thinking it was finally over and then....PART 2. I think I need to level up or something, I came close to winning one time but I don't think it's happening tonight.

Just about did it with a level 57 on my team...everyone was dead apart from me, my skell was destroyed and I finished with 300ish health. I was level 32 so maybe i'm under leveled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom