• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the Carl quest really threw me for a loop. Loved the message though.

Edit:

Spoilers for the end of quest and follow up in chapter 7. I looked it up.

I like that the right choice here is to kill the piglets it's the logical choice. I'm mean the characters state multiple times how it they feel bad about killing the native wildlife. But they have to for Humanity's survival.

Now then the issue is the not only does not killing them causes Carl to die but I would get an additional mission.

If I was playing the game the way I would if I was my avatar (how I always try to play avatar games) I would simply kill them. Carl living is a bonus.

But that bonus mission is calling out to me.

I think I'm going to kill everything of only to have Carl around.

What did other people do?

I CAN'T SEE YOU
I CAN'T HEAR YOU

Honestly, the NLA music after only about 5 hours is already horrifically grating and damn near being put on mute. I hope the music for this area changes sometime soon.

There's plenty of great tunes here, but that one, the one you hear most often, is definitely fucking terrible.

It haunts me in my sleep. I also spent a lot of time listening it since I leave my character idle as I do other shit, just to get more miranium to spend on AMs.

I need more storage ones god dammit. I want to get to a point I'm making at least 20K every 30 minutes.

Added a few dozen of you on Friday expecting to play, courtesy of Amazon Prime. After four days of refreshing the shipment tracker and envying those of you in-game while twiddling my thumbs in Super Mario Maker with all the time I set aside for the Wii U, it's finally here, and I'm finally in. See you folks online.

(Page 120 already? Good lord.)

Squishy3

Since Pathfinders gain points based on planting probes and discovering areas, if you switch to that division late in the game, are you locking yourself out of maxing out that division?
There aren't any specific division ranks, it's just BLADE rank. It's not like there's a different rank for each faction with different rewards like in a MMO. The only thing it determines is what buff you can give out when you're online and what activities earn you the most points towards increasing your BLADE rank.

Like in the scheme of all things it doesn't matter what division you are, there's no min-maxing for rewards or anything except for receiving division rewards based on what ranking your division is online (which I have no idea how those are doled out) which probably a single person wouldn't be able to change those results.

What chapter do I unlock the Skells? I'm working towards the end of Chapter Five and I need something more than Fast travel and sprint.

Please answer in spoiler tags. I don't want other gathers to be upset.

There aren't any specific division ranks, it's just BLADE rank. It's not like there's a different rank for each faction with different rewards like in a MMO. The only thing it determines is what buff you can give out when you're online and what activities earn you the most points towards increasing your BLADE rank.

Like in the scheme of all things it doesn't matter what division you are, there's no min-maxing for rewards or anything except for receiving division rewards based on what ranking your division is online (which I have no idea how those are doled out) which probably a single person wouldn't be able to change those results.
Oh all right, thanks a lot! I couldn't decide until I understood how it worked for sure.

Malus

I didn't expect (post-Chapter 5 spoilers)
To discover a new town in the form of a giant alien spaceship hovering over NLA. And with kickass music too!

Vena

How (not) to play Xenoblade at work while also operating a 20W laser:

ijoMY7v.jpg

Don't try this at home.

LProtag

Welp, I drove my skell off a cliff trying to get to a data probe point.

Couldn't reload either, as I didn't realize it was a bottomless pit and I hadn't saved in some time.

No regrets.

Also I fought a level 28 tyrant while I was only 22 or something for the hell of it. My party got wiped out fairly quickly, while it was at around 70% health. I activated Overdrive and I swear it lasted for nearly a full minute. I killed it with 500 health left on my skell. Felt awesome.

Anyone else think this game feels like a bit too much sometimes? I mean.. maybe it's just how I play RPGs, but I have this urge to do things like.. collect every "treasure" I see or get all the probes planted ASAP in a new area... It's kinda exhausting. I'm enjoying the game, but I feel like I prefer the more guided approach to Xenoblade. I constantly felt like I was progressing that game's story and couldn't wait to see what happened next. The story hasn't gone anywhere much in X (to be fair, I'm not far, halfway through Chapter 4), but yeah..

two questions if someone could help me quickly so I'm not playing this game cowardly and paralyzed:

1. Any suggestions for good melee skills to level up? I'm going all top row so I can use big swords...also, do I have to be super careful with the points for leveling up arts, or can I "mess up" a lot and not cause too many problems?

2. I'm only at Chapter 3 in terms of story missions, but I have a million sidequests, if I continue with story missions for a little, does it ever make me lose out on the quests I have, or make me lose out on getting certain quests?

Vena

Anyone else think this game feels like a bit too much sometimes? I mean.. maybe it's just how I play RPGs, but I have this urge to do things like.. collect every "treasure" I see or get all the probes planted ASAP in a new area... It's kinda exhausting. I'm enjoying the game, but I feel like I prefer the more guided approach to Xenoblade. I constantly felt like I was progressing that game's story and couldn't wait to see what happened next. The story hasn't gone anywhere much in X (to be fair, I'm not far, halfway through Chapter 4), but yeah..

The thing is, every system in this game is tied together. So the volume of it can become incredibly overbearing as everything affects everything else, like a nasty fractal. XenoX will on occasion scold you for not reading the manual like a Sunday-school teacher.

Your usual open-world games are general a cavalcade of options that have barely anything to do with one another, and that can go off in completely different direction but generally do not inform one another in any meaningful way. And as such you are free to ignore many extraneous (to you) aspects of the game.

Cleve

Just finished the repair job. Man, what a terrible quest design that was. Random drops from 3 mobs in the entire zone (that wern't 30 levels above me)

Holy fucking LOL at the jump in Skell frame prices in the guide.

Goes from
6 to 7 figures
out of nowhere haha.

I can still afford any of the starting ones no problem though.

TrueBlue

Just been exploring NLA after finishing Chapter 5, and I've come across a grey question mark on the mini-map. Now I did a normal mission earlier in around the same spot, but this is the first time I've noticed something like that appearing. Does anyone know what it means?

I suspect it means that the mission-giver is only available at a certain time, but that's just a hunch.

The thing is, every system in this game is tied together. So the volume of it can become incredibly overbearing as everything affects everything else, like a nasty fractal. XenoX will on occasion scold you for not reading the manual like a Sunday-school teacher.

Your usual open-world games are general a cavalcade of options that have barely anything to do with one another, and that can go off in completely different direction but generally do not inform one another in any meaningful way. And as such you are free to ignore many extraneous (to you) aspects of the game.

Yeah, this is a good point (about the comparison to other open world games). I do appreciate it for connecting all the different systems together, but I feel like in a way, it's not good. It's not a good thing to ignore them here, lol.

Is there any other good use for Miranium? I can only hold 12000 right now and I'm constantly having to go back to NLA to dump some into funding the stores. Is there anything else I should be doing with them? I wish there was no limit, kinda annoying. I only have 2 stores right now, too. When are more added?

Squishy3

Yeah, this is a good point (about the comparison to other open world games). I do appreciate it for connecting all the different systems together, but I feel like in a way, it's not good. It's not a good thing to ignore them here, lol.

Is there any other good use for Miranium? I can only hold 12000 right now and I'm constantly having to go back to NLA to dump some into funding the stores. Is there anything else I should be doing with them? I wish there was no limit, kinda annoying. I only have 2 stores right now, too. When are more added?
Some quests have NPCs asking for Miranium but it's never extravagant. You unlock more AMs through the story.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
added my name to the NNID list. Anyone ever start up "friends group" on this. Do anything diferent than a regular group?

Dad

Sylvalum is the worst. I've died 3 times just trying to kill a single trash mob because every battle inevitably brings in 2-4 extra monsters and sometimes a level 50+. Doesn't help that I'm stappled to some worthless level 15 dude

Tcab96

Can anyone tell me if healing gets better as an enforcer or the later classes? I like healing and support in these games but currently my healing is pretty weak.

MechaX

I think
Go-rha
is the "what the fuck, Spider?!" moment of this game if I had to compare it to something similar in the first game.

And in hindsight, I had no one to blame but myself for that one.

Finally fixed the range issue with my Wii U gamepad by replacing the Wi-Fi board myself. Only cost $5 instead of the $100 Nintendo wanted. Now I can enjoy this game without having to be literally right next to the console.

And both my Special Edition and hardcover guide came in! What a good day.

LProtag

Can anyone tell me if healing gets better as an enforcer or the later classes? I like healing and support in these games but currently my healing is pretty weak.

Healing never really gets great (soul voices are supposed to be your main heal), but Galactic Knight gets an aura that gives its heal skill an AoE, at least I think that's how it works. So you can heal everyone for 2000 TP instead of 4000 TP.

Some quests have NPCs asking for Miranium but it's never extravagant. You unlock more AMs through the story.

Ah gotcha. I have done a few basic missions to give miranium to NPCs. And that's cool about the story unlocking more AMs. I feel like I haven't gotten much new gear or at all and it unlocks slowly in the stores lol

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
How many times do people get disconnected? My network has never ever been unstable but this wii u disconnects a LOT for me. It really sucks because all the progress towards squad stuff gets completely wiped out when you have to back out of the game to the main menu just to get back in.

How can the developers get stuff so right and so wrong at the same time?

Delstius

Galactic Knight have a strong heal and a dispel (with the photon saber, which is an awesome weapon). They also have an aura that make those arts work on the whole team.

An affinity mission also unlock the heal skill of Irina with the knife I think, it's available early.

MouldyK

I like that the right choice here is to kill the piglets it's the logical choice. I'm mean the characters state multiple times how it they feel bad about killing the native wildlife. But they have to for Humanity's survival.

Now then the issue is the not only does not killing them causes Carl to die but I would get an additional mission.

If I was playing the game the way I would if I was my avatar (how I always try to play avatar games) I would simply kill them. Carl living is a bonus.

How do you know it's the right choice?

Hope I haven't missed something because of it...

Neoweee

The more I play, the more I'm convinced that forcing Lin and Elma into your group for nearly every mission is one of the single worst design choices I've seen in a game.

Things it ruins:
- Affinity requirements for Missions. You won't get enough Affinity with characters playing the game, so you'll have to grind a huge amount later if you want to see those quests.
- Actual having party variety and seeing the not-so-bad cast.
- How valuable the "DLC" characters are, because you don't have room to use them, or their classes overlap with the characters you are forced to use. Who the hell actually bought them in the Japanese version, and how ripped off did they feel?
- Class variety for your main character, as there's not much value on doubling up on a class and two are spoken for.

What a horrendous decision. What was wrong with what Xenoblade 1 did?

ChefWycoon

Neo Member
Made a small Soul Voices guide since the entire system is ambiguous and confusing. Also posted it on Reddit but thought it'd reach more viewers here. I'm not entirely sure it's correct, so post any fixes or additions you guys would like to see. Thanks to everyone on Reddit, GameFAQs, and NeoGAF for posts on Soul Voices, all of which helped contribute to this guide. Screenshots are from Nintendo's Xenoblade Chronicles X Survival Guide: Planetary Defense 101 video.

Soul Voice Settings

On the 'Soul Voices' page for a character, you are shown 16 Soul Voices.

Each Soul Voice has a:
  • Name: The name of the Soul Voice.
  • Trigger Condition: The event that causes the Soul Voice to activate. Meeting this condition will not guarantee the Soul Voice to activate. The chances of activating the Soul Voice when the trigger condition is met is affected by party 'Morale'.
  • Set of 3 options. Each option has a(n):
  • Dialogue: What the character shouts out when the Soul Voice activates.
  • Requested Art-Type Response: The type of art another character must respond with to activate the Soul Voice's effect.
  • Effect: The effect(s) added to the responding character's art.

Example: Soul Voice [Daredevil]

For your character, 12 of these Soul Voices have preset trigger conditions and 4 have customizable trigger conditions.
You are unable to change any Soul Voice settings for other characters.

Soul Voices In Battle

In battle, this is what a Soul Voice looks like:

Other Characters
When a character that isn't you triggers his/her Soul Voice, you see something similar to the above image. In the following image, Elma activates her [Draw Ranged] Soul Voice and requests a ranged (yellow) art to be used:

Your arts of the requested art type begin to flash, emitting a colored circle (The color is consistent with the art type). Here, your 'Flame Grenade' art is flashing.

Activating an art of the requested type grants that art the effects of that Soul Voice. In addition, both characters are healed for a small amount. In this image, you can see that your Flame Grenade art will have '+50% damage', which is the effect of Elma's [Draw Ranged] Soul Voice:

Note that you must wait for the requested art-type to flash before activating it, otherwise the Soul Voice's effects will not be added. Successful addition of effects is depicted by the emission of rings around both characters. The color of the rings corresponds to the requested art-type response. Time will also slow down for a brief moment.

Your Character
When a Soul Voice of your character is triggered, it does not immediately activate. Instead, a quick time event (QTE) occurs where you must press the 'B' button. This is called a 'Soul Challenge'. This is what it looks like in-game:

To complete the Soul Challenge, you must press the B button when the orange circle overlaps (Perfect) or falls within (Good) the white circle. This will activate your Soul Voice and recover HP for all party members. The mechanics then proceed as described in the above section—a party member that responds with the correct type of art will have that art gain your Soul Voice's effects, and both you and the responding party member will be healed. A Perfect Soul Challenge completion additionally grants TP. Completing a Soul Challenge raises the party's Morale by 1 bar, increasing the frequency of Soul Voices as well as the amount of TP gained per perfect Soul Challenge completion. Again, the effects of the Soul Voice are depicted by the emission of colored rings around the characters while time is slowed.

Tips

The Soul Voices of a character does not describe that character's playstyle—it describes the expected playstyles of other party members.

At the top middle and left of a character's Soul Voice settings page are designations for the type of party members that that character complements. For example, a character with a page of mostly ranged-art-request Soul Voices with be designated with 'Focus: Ranged'. This indicates that other party members mostly use ranged arts. If your party members have no ranged arts set, they will never be able to respond to your Soul Voices and will never gain your Soul Voices' effects.

To correctly customize your character's Soul Voices, you must customize your party members' arts. The arts you set for your party members should correspond with your character's Soul Voices' requested art-type responses, and vice-versa.

Fou-Lu

So is the exp you get for your class rank based on your character level? If so it sure seems tough to level up a secondary class. I have Galactic Knight maxed out and was thinking of getting Mastermind maxed but...

Also, recommendations for skills and arts for Elma and Lin?

Shun

I've been sticking with Full Metal Jaguar for a while now and the TP and overdrive abuse is making my damage output ridiculous.

I don't even need to carry many TP skills, just keep side/back melee arts and abuse TP recovery and overdrive all day.

Overdrive + TP recovery + lengthen overdrive = Huge Melee Damage. Once you get a hang of it and stick with melee, overdrive combos are really fun and really damaging.

I'll probably go check out the other classes soon, I've had 30-40 hours in and I just touched Chapter 6. At level 27 right now. Haven't even gotten my doll yet.

MrDaravon

Unfortunately this game has no in game tutorials really. You absolutely need to reference the in-game manual. You'll need to reference it a lot early on... If you think you're not picking up on something organically, look it up in there. It's fairly user friendly at least and a TON of important info is in there about combat, using the map, and more that's just not told to you otherwise.

This is coming from somebody who played the last Xenoblade too. It you didn't play the first you're definitely missing out on a ton of important little things. Even if you did... Still read through topics from time to time. You'll need it.

Yeah I read the manual on Friday before playing since everyone said that was important, but I haven't been able to really play until tonight. Re-reading it now that I've played a bit and things make much more sense. The game is still weird about just not telling you some things unless I just haven't gotten to that point for some reason; for example, my starting class was maxed so I switched to a different one (the top melee one that says is good for beginners) but the game still hasn't even touched on classes for me yet. And I can see I have BP but I'm not sure if I should spend any of it yet, etc.

I do have one specific question though; if someone calls out a soul voice asking for melee (brown) but I don't have any melee Arts available if I switch to my melee weapon for melee auto attacks does that qualify? Still not clear on that as well as what exactly triggers the B button QTE.

Rewind

I think it's nice to have an open world game feel so different from all the other ones out there. Having a game that's complicated with a surprisingly deep combat system is refreshing. No other open world game has the scale of this one.

El Odio

Banned
I've yet to start chapter five yet and have only done the required affinity mission for it but in terms of the party requirements for these sections I'm not a fan of how any party members not listed are basically reduced to idling standing around when cut-scenes are going on. It's really weird just having them silently watch whats going on with no input.

How do you know it's the right choice?

Hope I haven't missed something because of it...

Sorry I looked up the results to make sure. I edited that in to make it more clear.

As for the extra quest don't worry. It's actually not one that's tracked (probably because it can result from only one choice). It has nothing to do with completion.

Which is why I was okay missing out on it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Huh?
I chose to spare the piglets and Carl stated that all is fine and well with doing so. The mother returned and Carl is still hanging about in the same spot, glad that we chose not to murder the wildlife. Where is the next chain in the questline? It kind of went full stop seemingly compared to everything you state.

MilkBeard

Made a small Soul Voice guide since the entire system is ambiguous and confusing. Also posted it on Reddit but thought it'd reach more viewers here. I'm not entirely sure it's correct, so post any fixes or additions you guys would like to see. Thanks to everyone on Reddit, GameFAQs, and NeoGAF for posts on Soul Voices, all of which helped contribute to this guide. Screenshots are from Nintendo's Xenoblade Chronicles X Survival Guide: Planetary Defense 101 video.

Soul Voice Settings

On the 'Soul Voices' page for a character, you are shown 16 Soul Voices.

Each Soul Voice has a:
  • Name: The name of the Soul Voice.
  • Trigger Condition: The event that causes the Soul Voice to activate. Meeting this condition will not guarantee the Soul Voice to activate. The chances of activating the Soul Voice when the trigger condition is met is affected by party 'Morale'.
  • Set of 3 items. Each item has a(n):

Example:

For your character, 12 of these Soul Voices have preset trigger conditions and 4 have customizable trigger conditions.
You are unable to change any Soul Voice settings for other characters.

Soul Voices In Battle

In battle, this is what a Soul Voice looks like:

Other Characters
When a character that isn't you triggers his/her Soul Voice, you see something similar to the above image. In the following image, Elma activates her Soul Voice and requests a ranged (yellow) art to be used.

Your arts of the requested art type begin to flash, emitting a colored circle (The color is consistent with the art type). Here, your 'Flame Grenade' art is flashing.

Activating an art of the requested type grants the effects of that Soul Voice to *both* members---you and the character who activated the Soul Voice. In addition, both characters are healed for a small amount. You have to wait for the requested art-type to flash before activating it, otherwise the Soul Voice effects will not activate. Successful activation of effects is depicted by the emission of rings around both characters. The color of the rings corresponds to the requested art-type response. Time will also slow down for a brief moment.

Your Character
When a Soul Voice of your character is triggered, it does not immediately activate. Instead, a quick time event (QTE) occurs where you must press the 'B' button. This is called a 'Soul Challenge'. This is what it looks like in-game:

To complete the Soul Challenge, you must press B button when the orange circle overlaps (Perfect) or falls within (Good) the white circle. This will activate your Soul Voice and recover HP for all party members. If a party member responds with the requested art type, both of you will gain the Soul Voice's effects and recover HP. A Perfect Soul Challenge completion additionally grants TP. Completing a Soul Challenge raises the party's morale by 1 bar, increasing the frequency of Soul Voices as well as the amount of TP gained per perfect Soul Challenge completion. Again, the effects of the Soul Voice is depicted by the emission of colored rings around the characters while time is slowed.
Thanks for compiling this. It seems accurate. One thing though, it seems when you use those skills that flash or link up, you get attack boosts as well. It must be their soul voice trait, or its a bonus to completing the soul voices.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
It's 7 am :lol I just played for 12 hours in a row and completed chapter 9. That lust for flying mech. I'm so tired. :(

CVqobnzU8AAntA6.jpg:large

Damnit guys haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom