• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rewind

So, how does aggro during combat work in X? It seems different from the first Xenoblade Chronicles and it's the only part of the combat system that has me a bit confused.

Most monsters seem to just be changing targets at random. That is, ofcourse, unless someone uses taunt, in which case there are clear blue lines between the taunted enemy and the tank. As a test, I had my character not use any skills except autoattacks, and the enemy still sometimes switched to attack me when he wasn't taunted, even though I was barely doing any damage. As I play a squishy enforcer, that's something I don't really want. Am I doing something wrong, or is taunt the only way to ensure that squishy characters are getting hit less?

I don't think there is aggro, the only way I've been able to guarantee a monster is attacking the tank is if they use taunt and the blue lines appear. Also non of the gear or gems mention aggro, at least I haven't seen any.

pablito

Couple questions. Can you switch which weapon is the default equip? When I change screens it always goes to my ranged weapon, which I hardly use on my galactic knight build so far. Plus the psycho launchers look goofy and would rather not see them until I use them lol.

And at some point do you get to use weapons not native to your class, perhaps when you get lvl 10 on the final branch? I'd like to use the beam cannons on my GK at least.

NeoRausch

Just started the game and arrived at NLA. One question though, when and where do the online components open up?
Can I miss them or will they be smacked in my face?

Sadist

The monster that drops it are the big floating fish things that show up at the Silent Mire at night
I haven't discovered the Silent Mire yet (no Skell yet), which hexagon and is it difficult to find a way towards it?

Edit: Never mind hehe.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Mastermind class
Stack potential through augs or whatever dont want to gimp your other stuff
Use the Core Crusher skill bonus ether damage but negates limb damage
Save 2000 TP
Use Full Specs ART Boost potential+range attack
Use Ether blast

Laugh

I can do it on my stream in a bit if you want, oh it's aoe dmg too
^
What arts/augments are you using to do broken shit like that?

Kureransu

I finished chapter 4 but am kinda in a lul. All the quests I have no are gathering ones and I'd rather kill stuff. I can't get to chapter 4 until I do a certain quest but I don't know where it is.
What mission is it?
is it the affinity mission out the probe mission, if it's the probe mission just find Kristy (she should be close to the barracks) and get it going. If it's the affinity mission it's in the barracks

Hope that helps.

CronoShot

So yeah, it took me 3 and a half hours to get this game set up to play.

Downloading all the load time DLC took 2 hours, and then downloading the game's update and installing said DLC took another hour and a half.

The Wii U is so damn slow with downloads and installations. I can download a 2GB app on my phone in like 10 minutes.

Would putting the data packs on the Wii U instead of my external hard drive help with pop in at all? I'm getting a little weary of it at this point and it's ruining some of the immersion.

Asking again...

Couple questions. Can you switch which weapon is the default equip? When I change screens it always goes to my ranged weapon, which I hardly use on my galactic knight build so far. Plus the psycho launchers look goofy and would rather not see them until I use them lol.

And at some point do you get to use weapons not native to your class, perhaps when you get lvl 10 on the final branch? I'd like to use the beam cannons on my GK at least.

I'd like to know these, too.

Kureransu

I don't like that you have to jump through hoops to continue the story, unlocking chapter 4 has been a ballache
Which part? Personally all I had to do was
survey 15% of Primordia. If you have done that already, the affinity mission would take like 5 mom because if fast travel, and the probe mission would take less because all you gave to do is convert them over to the same type.

edit:

You can just press X to switch weapons at any time. When you start the battle you'll have that weapon equipt if memory serves.

rhandino

Banned
Went to my retailer for my delayed copy of the game and they inform me that the game will be available until Wednesday...

Fuck my life T_T

Jirotrom

Downloading all the load time DLC took 2 hours, and then downloading the game's update and installing said DLC took another hour and a half.

The Wii U is so damn slow with downloads and installations. I can download a 2GB app on my phone in like 10 minutes.
The wifi u is not slow, I downloaded all packs in less than 20 minutes... I think it's your internet line

Can someone explain how the multiplayer in this game works?

At the end of chapter 3 you get to join a squad of 32 players and will occasionally be assigned squad missions to kill a certain number of a random enemy where every players kill adds to the total. Once enough are killed it'll open up 4 player missions at that barricks where you can join three other players (or bring ai allies) to do special squad missons.

MrDaravon

I'm like an hour in and totally overwhelmed; with 99% of games I have a full grasp of all of it's mechanics etc very quickly, in this game I'm just looking through menus and shit and I'm just like fuuuuuuuu

Still in tutorial land, guessing I should not worry too much about it and just keep going through the motions and they'll cover most of it and/or I'll just get the hang of it?

Can someone explain how the multiplayer in this game works?

Ha, I was wondering the same thing. Just finished Ch. 3 I think and there are constant messages in the upper left hand corner of the screen and some type of nonsense in the lower right, but I've been ignoring it.

sora87

Which part? Personally all I had to do was
survey 15% of Primordia. If you have done that already, the affinity mission would take like 5 mom because if fast travel, and the probe mission would take less because all you gave to do is convert them over to the same type.

I had only surveyed like 3% so I had to run around doing that for a while, got one shotted by a few crazy enemies in the process lol, then had to do all of the probe missions. Just weird they make you do stuff like this before you can carry on the story.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Fucking Affinity Missions! My part is only at around lvl 15 and yet it's taking me into areas with enemies in the 30s and 40s and deep into Oblivia. Not to mention I can't cancel out of them or take on other missions either! :(

Not to mention it doesn't give you any sense what the difficulty level is before you accept it

Not entirely true. The quest accept screen states a 'recommended level' right above the required party members in large print.

In my experience nothing you are forced to kill varies too far beyond that recommendation, so any higher level mobs are just to be ignored en route.

so your saying i should take care of this ahead of time before i play it on Christmas?

deoee

At the end of chapter 3 you get to join a squad of 32 players and will occasionally be assigned squad missions to kill a certain number of a random enemy where every players kill adds to the total. Once enough are killed it'll open up 4 player missions at that barricks where you can join three other players (or bring ai allies) to do special squad missons.

Thank you!
Is this fun? A friend of mine is getting the game, I'd wait for him to borrow it to me except the Coop is great and would justify buying the game for me too :D

ivysaur12

Banned
Stupid question (and I'm at work so I can't check myself), but is there a way to check to see what the Squad goals (lol) are, exactly? I just see the pictures in the bottom right of the screen.

Squishy3

It works totally fine, the only thing you need to know is that to cycle through the objectives you hold R and then press L. It'll tell you what each objective is, but not where to find it. The idea is to coordinate with the people in your squad via chat to find them, but everybody is obsessed with spamming messages that say "L+A to play as Shulk" or "L+A to unlock your Skell" and holding L+A will "star" that message or something, implying that it's a good message, like how in the Souls type games you can rate up messages. But again, not working very well because the player base is being quite stupid. Granted, some objectives are hard to complete because sometimes the monster required to kill will be higher level than the majority of people in your squad.

rhandino

Banned
My condolences. The most hyped of us all got this treatment.
I'm also mad because I didn't even ordered the Special Edition in case that something happened to it so I went with normal to play it Day 1.

90s4Tev.gif

Yo-kai is why.

UtJHy9T.gif

TEJ

ITS THE CIIIIIIIIIIIRCLE OF LIFE

KEiorFY.jpg

I can defintely feel the love put into this game tonight. I just can't wait to play more of it.

Found the image on facebook.

So glad my TV has a 3.5mm out so I can plug some headphones and a Fiio into it. This title screen music is beautiful.

Can't wait until Winter Break to actually start playing it.

Awesome. I'll never find a combination like this though, especially with the game allowing you to lower the difficulty a few levels if a boss fight is too hard.

I have a friend who always tries to find broken combination/weapons in RPGs and he has fun being God in games. I don't. I want to struggle.

El Odio

Banned
Man why does it seem like every single store managed to screw over someone on the delivery for this game? It makes me glad I cancelled my SE amazon order and just pick up the standard one instead on release. I don't know how I would have survived the wait personally.

So glad my TV has a 3.5mm out so I can plug some headphones and a Fiio into it. This title screen music is beautiful.

Can't wait until Winter Break to actually start playing it.

AAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAA OOOOOOOO AAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAA BEE BEE BEE DARADAAAAAA BA BA BA BA BA BA BA BARARROOOOO

MrPanic

Welp, rekt my first skell. Only because I wasn't really paying attention and had a affinity quest character that found it necessary to aggro every enemy in Sylvalum. Feels bad man.

Not really enjoying the extra stress a skell brings to the game, I think I'm gonna refrain from bringing the things into battle as much as possible.

Since Pathfinders gain points based on planting probes and discovering areas, if you switch to that division late in the game, are you locking yourself out of maxing out that division?

Ozium

Hexagon south of FN 202. Far west of Noctilum, about middle'ish. Better chance to drop when it rains or early morning but they drop at any time/weather as well.

thank you so much I managed to grab 2 of them 1 for the quest and 1 for collectopedia!

AAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAA OOOOOOOO AAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAA BEE BEE BEE DARADAAAAAA BA BA BA BA BA BA BA BARARROOOOO

I CAN'T SEE YOU
I CAN'T HEAR YOU

Honestly, the NLA music after only about 5 hours is already horrifically grating and damn near being put on mute. I hope the music for this area changes sometime soon.

There's plenty of great tunes here, but that one, the one you hear most often, is definitely fucking terrible.

totowhoa

Banned
I'm like an hour in and totally overwhelmed; with 99% of games I have a full grasp of all of it's mechanics etc very quickly, in this game I'm just looking through menus and shit and I'm just like fuuuuuuuu

Still in tutorial land, guessing I should not worry too much about it and just keep going through the motions and they'll cover most of it and/or I'll just get the hang of it?

Unfortunately this game has no in game tutorials really. You absolutely need to reference the in-game manual. You'll need to reference it a lot early on... If you think you're not picking up on something organically, look it up in there. It's fairly user friendly at least and a TON of important info is in there about combat, using the map, and more that's just not told to you otherwise.

This is coming from somebody who played the last Xenoblade too. It you didn't play the first you're definitely missing out on a ton of important little things. Even if you did... Still read through topics from time to time. You'll need it.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Awesome. I'll never find a combination like this though, especially with the game allowing you to lower the difficulty a few levels if a boss fight is too hard.

I have a friend who always tries to find broken combination/weapons in RPGs and he has fun being God in games. I don't. I want to struggle.

I just went this route because i wanted to be useful with heals, turned out the heal stat scales with tp damage abilities LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom