• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

I'm having a lot of fun just Skyriming up mountains and avoiding enemies that are a million times stronger than I am.

Just got to the twist and the explanation of the big number in chapter 5 and I think I'm ready to transition into mech gameplay now as distances increase.

An article I've read that explained the different mission types has been a lifesaver. I've had a better time with the rhythm since I started ignoring all the basic missions except for tyrants and focused on normal and story missions instead.

finalflame

As much as I love XC's "Snowy Valak Mountain" & " You Will Know Our Names," it's a bit unfair to say all of the tracks in XCX are horrible. I do agree that it's annoying that most of the music in the cutscenes down-out the dialogue, and I honestly don't know if it's due to poor mixing or whatever.

I'm only ~10 hours into the game and still on Primordia. I really can't say I've listened to all the music in the game, but so far this pales even in comparison to simpler tunes in the beginning of XC -- Main Theme, Colony 9, and Gaur Plains all have superior soundtracks to the utter trash I've had to listen to out in Primordia and inside of NLA.

Maybe it gets better.

I am quickly finding that while this game is mechanically superior to XC (more to do, more complex systems, online, more impressive tech/visuals), it lacks everything that made XC feel special and charming to me. The world building, progression, music, and characters/story in XC absolutely spank the shit out of what I've experienced with XCX so far. This generic "BLADES" main story seems bland and generic so far.

I suppose I haven't played the game long enough to fully judge, and I will beat it, but boy this has NOT drawn me in like the original game did at ALL. :(

On the Segment map, for segments that are "Normal mission" or "Affinity mission", does that mean that you get a mission somewhere in that segment, or a mission eventually leads there?

aravuus

Sure thing! Sorry for the crudeness, but warp to the probe located here:
onLUP8i.png

And skim along the walls not far from there with a bunch of lv40+ grunts and lv50 mechs. You want those mechs. Using Skells and the Buster weapons, you can kill them with ~3 arts. Once all 4 are gone, teleport to the probe again and rinse and repeat until lv47+.

I'm gonna try this shit without skells yo

e: lol they are weak. No problem with a lvl 40 party

Sölf

Finished chapter 5 yesterday. Dayum. As soon as the story in this game kicks in, it REALLY kicks in. so much stuff happend in this one chapter.
Oh, we are all robots? Well, of course, why not? Holy shit! And yeah, why can we understand all those aliens? Good question, Elma.
Of course, after that I god another million new quests. It felt like progress, now it felt like reset. xD

Also, this:
WVW69io90LsCqQavV8

Lin's face finally looks acceptable. I will never change her helmet again. God bless the Fashion Gear!

Blues1990

I'm only ~10 hours into the game and still on Primordia. I really can't say I've listened to all the music in the game, but so far this pales even in comparison to simpler tunes in the beginning of XC -- Main Theme, Colony 9, and Gaur Plains all have superior soundtracks to the utter trash I've had to listen to out in Primordia and inside of NLA.

Maybe it gets better.

I am quickly finding that while this game is mechanically superior to XC (more to do, more complex systems, online, more impressive tech/visuals), it lacks everything that made XC feel special and charming to me. The world building, progression, music, and characters/story in XC absolutely spank the shit out of what I've experienced with XCX so far. This generic "BLADES" main story seems bland and generic so far.

I suppose I haven't played the game long enough to fully judge, and I will beat it, but boy this has NOT drawn me in like the original game did at ALL. :(

There are some fantastic tunes on the other continents, with Noctilum & Sylvanum being my personal favourites. (Noctilum in general has my favourite geology of the five landscapes, & it's theme fits it like a glove.) I don't see what is wrong with Primordia's over world theme, but to each his own.

I also like the mellow guitar playing inside the Blade barracks, especially once you get your Skell license & spend time customizing your mech.

As for comparing the two games, I agree. XC is tops for it's cast of characters & villains, and the English voice cast for the EU/NA localization pumps up the overall charm. But I personally love the setting & how you can traverse in XCX, & the soundtrack is definitely no slouch. The fact that you can travel seamlessly with few hitches keeps that level of immersion intact for my playthrough. And despite how a lot can go wrong, XCX's English localization is pretty solid, despite Tatsu being annoying as sin.

Ultimately, give it time & try to immerse yourself in the experience. And besides, if all else fails, X isn't going to replace the original.

Think I'm about done for the day. Originally I wanted to play for a couple hours and ended up playing for ten. I'm about to accept the Chapter 4 quest at Level 14 as a Blade Samurai. I can easily burn out doing side quests just like the original Xenoblade. I ran all over NLA trying to talk to everyone and accept quests, but that became really exhausting after a while. I do miss the story-driven aspect of the original, but I also kinda like the freedom I have in this game. I accidentally wandered into Noctillum at night, and it looked awesome. I turned around, though, because I felt like I wanted to explore Primordia completely before moving on.

The music is mostly okay. The Primordia theme sounds ok on its own. I don't even mind the NLA theme that much, but both are getting really repetitive at this point which is something I never said about Xenoblade's soundtrack.

The cutscenes are really weird, too. Xenoblade seemed a lot better in that regard. Just having music would do wonders. It does happen in a few cutscenes, and the difference is dramatic. In general, though, the cutscenes have been really static. Just characters standing and talking. The part where you first meet the Prones was so, so weak compared to when you first see the Mechon.

I feel like I haven't gotten any new, stronger equipment for hours now, even from more powerful enemies. I don't remember upgrading my weapons, either. I invested some Miranium in the first two companies you get, but even if I visit the shop, I don't see any of the things I unlocked. The available weapons aren't stronger than my current gear and they don't seem like they will be until I hit level 20. Anyway, it's been a really fun time sink so far. Won't be able to play until the end of the week because of finals, but I'm liking the the game for the most part.

finalflame

There are some fantastic tunes on the other continents, with Noctilum & Sylvanum being my personal favourites. (Noctilum in general has my favourite geology of the five landscapes, & it's theme fits it like a glove.) I don't see what is wrong with Primordia's over world theme, but to each his own.

I also like the mellow guitar playing inside the Blade barracks, especially once you get your Skell license & spend time customizing your mech.

As for comparing the two games, I agree. XC is tops for it's cast of characters & villains, and the English voice cast for the EU/NA localization pumps up the overall charm. But I personally love the setting & how you can traverse in XCX, & the soundtrack is definitely no slouch. The fact that you can travel seamlessly with few hitches keeps that level of immersion intact for my playthrough. And despite how a lot can go wrong, XCX's English localization is pretty solid, despite Tatsu being annoying as sin.

Ultimately, give it time & try to immerse yourself in the experience. And besides, if all else fails, X isn't going to replace the original.

Funny you mentioned the BLADES Barracks interior theme, I was just sitting back listening to it when I read this. It's pretty pleasant. I don't necessarily dislike the Primordia theme, but I guess I can't help but compare it to Gaur Plains and it's just not as good to me.

The localization so far hasn't bothered me, other than Tatsu being, indeed, pretty annoying. I liked the Nopons in XC better by a mile. I do hope we come across another colony of Nopons that's as magical as the one in XC.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, though. I realize while I'm typing this that it took me roughly ~15 hours to really sink myself into XC (because at first lots of the systems were confusing), and I'm still only 12 hours into XCX. Things are progressively feeling better, but, it will probably be to my benefit to not try to compare this game to the original every step of the way.

Anyhow, does anyone have any tips on finding Tyrants? Every time I see a section that supposedly has one, I can never find it. Are they typically one of the larger sizes of enemies? Is there any special indication unless you're targeting them? Does time of day affect their appearance like some of the creatures in XC? I can tell this "map completion" thing is really going to be a field day with my mild OCD.

The game is crack.

Played the game way too much during the weekend and yesterday. Got my skell yesterday too and it's just really, really cool. It's hilarious though how you can just keep jumping around in an enemy base and they don't notice you at all. Anyway, finally got to a point in which I can feel satisfied for a while and do other things (than mostly just playing the game) too.

One thing I really hate is how the team mates start out in their own levels instead of syncing to the main character's level, and how they don't level up at the same time as you are. I did most of the affinity quests to get various characters in levels that were way over the required, and then the new team mate just ends up dying all the time because they're the weakest one.

On the Segment map, for segments that are "Normal mission" or "Affinity mission", does that mean that you get a mission somewhere in that segment, or a mission eventually leads there?
I think it means that a quest eventually leads there.

Sölf

I don't understant the hate for this soundtrack. So fa I pretty much love everything about it. The only thing that is really bad are the missing sliders for the various volumes.

Anyhow, does anyone have any tips on finding Tyrants? Every time I see a section that supposedly has one, I can never find it. Are they typically one of the larger sizes of enemies? Is there any special indication unless you're targeting them? Does time of day affect their appearance like some of the creatures in XC? I can tell this "map completion" thing is really going to be a field day with my mild OCD.
From what I've seen, the map tells you if it appears at a certain time of day if you tap on the hexagon. As for whether or not the monster you're targeting is a Tyrant, I think the level is surrounded by purple circles or something similar. Also the music if you engage in battle is a giveaway of course.

Teknoman

Maybe it gets better.

Primordia sounds pretty cool to me. Its got a middle eastern / wild exploration adventure vibe going for it.

Mendrox

Maybe it gets better.

C'mon man you cannot compare Xenoblade Chronicles soundtrack with Xenoblade Chronicles X one. Both have a different feeling to their setting and both of these soundtracks support it. Both soundtracks are amazing.

Hiroyuki Sawano is different artist than all the others. Imo this soundtrack is awesome (the mixing is utter crap, I cannot understand anyone if the music has lyrics), but I also thought that Guily Crown, Shingeki no Kyoujin or the Kill la Kill soundtrack were amazing.

Just a Sawano fanboy, but he is not bad - he opened his own studio for the singers(?) and also released very good sounding classic music. You should give it a listen.

For anyone who has problems with the battle system:

- use the artes that your companions scream (Soul Voice)
- you can change your Soul Voice in the menues (e.g. changing, when you get healed by doing certain things)
- topple enemies if you have the corresponding art - you will do more dmg and the enemy is stunned
- always attack the BACK of the enemey and its parts to get better loot
- Use range attacks to fill up TP faster, change weapons after a load of bullets to reload faster
- use buffs (they are important, the green ones for critical buffs, or the blue ones for more SP and damage)
- Don't use all your artes all the time, save them for Soul Voice, your moral will go up and you will do more damage and get the QTE more often

Also important:

- Always upgrade your artes!
- Always upgrade your talents
- Change talents with better ones
- Mechanical Level 4 is the most important research skill in the begining
- Affinity quest are very important and give you more skills, team mates and ressources

Fou-Lu

42 hours of play time now, just trying to get the last bit of experience needed to level up to 30 so I can take the chapter 8 quest.

I'm currently still in the first continent and avoiding doing mission 4. Instead I'm doing sidequests.

I'm mechanical level 3 and now have another point. Is there any reason to go to four since I'll probably have another point ready by the time I need to be 4?

Should I go archeological or botanical next? I've haven't encountered any botanical above level 1 yet.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
For anyone who has problems with the battle system:

- use the artes that your companions scream (Soul Voice)
- you can change your Soul Voice in the menues (e.g. changing, when you get healed by doing certain things)
- topple enemies if you have the corresponding art - you will do more dmg and the enemy is stunned
- always attack the BACK of the enemey and its parts to get better loot
- Use range attacks to fill up TP faster, change weapons after a load of bullets to reload faster
- use buffs (they are important, the green ones for critical buffs, or the blue ones for more SP and damage)
- Don't use all your artes all the time, save them for Soul Voice, your moral will go up and you will do more damage and get the QTE more often

Also important:

- Always upgrade your artes!
- Always upgrade your talents
- Change talents with better ones
- Mechanical Level 4 is the most important research skill in the begining
- Affinity quest are very important and give you more skills, team mates and ressources

Thanks for these tips. Question about the upgrading of arts and talents. I know that when I start playing, I'm going to be wary of using my BP to upgrade my early arts because I'm unsure if the arts I get at the beginning are the ones I'll want for a final build. Is there a huge amount of BP to use? If not, can BP be removed from upgraded arts and applied to other ones?

aravuus

Ayup, and they give a shitton of XP. I wonder if there are more enemies like this for lv50+.

Yeah!

I kinda want to try to reach the highest level I could before doing even chapter 6. Level 50 should be doable in an evening, wonder if lvl 60 would be possible.

e: I can take them out with a single overdrive combo lmaoooo

Wiseblade

Has anyone managed to compile a list of the Heart-to-Heart locations yet? I want to blow through them all just so playable characters will always be where they're supposed to be.

desu

And skim along the walls not far from there with a bunch of lv40+ grunts and lv50 mechs. You want those mechs. Using Skells and the Buster weapons, you can kill them with ~3 arts. Once all 4 are gone, teleport to the probe again and rinse and repeat until lv47+.

Gonna check that out, thanks :).

Illucio

Banned
Does anyone know any good mobs to farm around the level 20 area?

I can't find any good monsters to fight that I can easily take down, I want to reach at least level 25-28 area. Questing is really slow and yields very little rewards/exp.

Raide

I hate the way the game shifts from "Go here for the quest!" and marks it for you...to "Go find this...thing." and nothing. FFS. Lets check the Monster List...oh, its not listed...thanks game!

Still put 20 hours into it. :D

Xenoboy

Okay last time I'm asking this.
How do you view affinity lines like the manual is showing?

Oh and how am I supposed to know what attributes enemies are attacking with?

aravuus

Jesus christ the amount of damage you can deal with Samurai Soul + overdrive

Dealt around 100k damage to an enemy and I was only halfway through the overdrive

I guess the only bad thing is that it kills the enemies too quickly lol, can't get TP back to 4000 during the overdrive

Mendrox

New L.A. theme is fucking atrocious. I'm only like four hours in and it's driving me nuts.

Don't worry you will love it soon.

Wait, I thought it was melee that built TP faster? Then what's the tradeoff? Melee draws more aggro right?

Eh, I don't know about it. Potential is important too, but range attacks always have more hits and more hits = more TP. Also many range attacks don't use TP.

Important tip too: Change you weapons in battle if your skill bars are at usage level 3 (after the initial cooldown the green cooldown will appear). You will always have more skills at your disposal that will damage the enemey way more and you will also have the most power with your skills if you do a combo.

aravuus

Wait, I thought it was melee that built TP faster? Then what's the tradeoff? Melee draws more aggro right?

It depends on the weapon. Currently my sword restores 230 TP with every hit, whereas my rifle restores 1 for every bullet.

Not sure how many bullets the AR shoots every attack, but my melee clearly builds up TP far faster right now

e: gun restores like 20tp lol. Melee is practically 10 times faster for me

Xane

Yeah!

I kinda want to try to reach the highest level I could before doing even chapter 6. Level 50 should be doable in an evening, wonder if lvl 60 would be possible.

e: I can take them out with a single overdrive combo lmaoooo

I'm currently at work, but if you find a place to level 50+, do tell!

NeonZ

The
Fierce Vigent
from the
Friend in Need
affinity quest is really annoying. It really shouldn't be a hard battle,
but then he suddenly uses that jump attack and it's almost instant death to anyone hit by it.
I guess I'm supposed to break his hand to stop him from jumping, but I've taken almost half of his HP once and the hand didn't break.

Following up that post, I managed to beat
Fierce Vigent
, without increasing my levels or anything. I turned the battle around completely just with better positioning. Running behind it and staying around its back legs, it doesn't target the jump attack against the player, and also sometimes wastes time turning around rather than attacking.

Xane

It depends on the weapon. Currently my sword restores 230 TP with every hit, whereas my rifle restores 1 for every bullet.

Not sure how many bullets the AR shoots every attack, but my melee clearly builds up TP far faster right now

e: gun restores like 20tp lol. Melee is practically 10 times faster for me

Sniper rifles and shotguns tend to recover more TP than SMGs/Rifles. Like, way more.

What does hit scaling means?

Also, is there a quick and efficient way to change targets in combat? I'm a psycorruptor and I want to use brainjack to turn monsters against each other, but everytime I brainjack or use sleep on an enemy, me and my party members keep attacking it instead of focusing on the other enemies...

Chastten

Banned
Well, finished chapter 5. Level 27 now and nearly maxed out all classes for my character. Guess I'll continue the story to get my mech and such. Love the world but navigating it on foot to get all the discoveries is a pain with all the height differences and such.

Nearly 25 hours in now and I can finally say I'm in a love/hate relationship with this game. There are so many questionable choices made in this game (quest system is fucked, why is there no map, so many unexplained things it isn't even funny) yet I can't stop playing it. The world and combat system are just awesome.

Just look at the menus.
wiiu_screenshot_tv_01nqswi.jpg
The annoying thing is though, that if you disable it you won't get to see the requirements for the achievements that you don't have but others have got. As far as I know at least.

Okay last time I'm asking this.
How do you view affinity lines like the manual is showing?

Oh and how am I supposed to know what attributes enemies are attacking with?
Do you mean something else than the affinity chart (accessible from the menu)?

Dunno about the second question. Wondering that too.

hoserx

What does hit scaling means?

Also, is there a quick and efficient way to change targets in combat? I'm a psycorruptor and I want to use brainjack to turn monsters against each other, but everytime I brainjack or use sleep on an enemy, me and my party members keep attacking it instead of focusing on the other enemies...

hold the R button and look at the prompts available to the right. Hit R+ Up Arrow to focus on a particular target.

New L.A. theme is fucking atrocious. I'm only like four hours in and it's driving me nuts.

I absolutely love it! I find myself nodding to it all the time.

I was expecting just to be okay with the soundtrack but after listening to it, it really is incredible. Fighting with Splatoon for my soundtrack of the year.

Xenoboy

The annoying thing is though, that if you disable it you won't get to see the requirements for the achievements that you don't have but others have got. As far as I know at least.

Do you mean something else than the affinity chart (accessible from the menu)?

Dunno about the second question. Wondering that too.

It's in page 70 of the e-manual. I have no idea how to view that.

hoserx

I absolutely love it! I find myself nodding to it all the time.

I was expecting just to be okay with the soundtrack but after listening to it, it really is incredible. Fighting with Splatoon for my soundtrack of the year.

Yeah that's funny that you mention splatoon....... I feel the same way about this music. You wouldn't find me turning it up at an intersection to try to impress some beautiful ladies in a convertible to my right, but secretly at home I'm eating pocky and listening to tracks on youtube.

aravuus

Sniper rifles and shotguns tend to recover more TP than SMGs/Rifles. Like, way more.

I don't really use any AR skills at all, so I wonder if going for a longsword + shotgun build would be wise. Shotgun to build TP, sword to unleash insane overdrive combos.

Do shotguns get taunt arts?

desu

Are we talking a whole party of Skells or something? Just went there with the starter mech and a buster weapon and well, buster weapon took like 10% at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom