• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoserx

Just bought this game yesterday, and I'm going in blind (media blackout). Anything I should know before diving in? I can't remember the last time I've been this excited going into a game.

My NNID is B_Bech.

LMF

(level mechanical first)

Kouriozan

And here we go!
Level 27 in Cauldros, lol.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_0140y2x.jpg

Jobbs

Banned
Couple dumb beginner questions.

1) What division should I pick? Sitting at the selection screen now. I know they said I can change it, but I'm having trouble choosing nonetheless because I don't really know what this means in the context of the game.

2) I have a melee art that says it does improved damage when chaining from a ranged combo or something. What's that even mean?

3) I can't seem to figure out how (or why) to target sub regions of an enemy. I thought it was R3 but it doesn't seem to cycle them.

4) what do those B button QTEs do?

Venfayth

I understand why people are frustrated with the whole design of having threatening enemies dotted all over the introduction zones. Basically every other RPG that I've ever played doesn't do it this way, and I'd imagine it's the same for plenty of others. It just feels like you're doing something wrong, or the game expects you to be way higher level so early in the game.

Once you figure out how to maneuver around and that it's just how the game works, it gets a bit easier to swallow. I agree that it's ultimately a better design for this game. I do like the danger and whatnot. I think - as with plenty of things in this game - the game would be better served by being more transparent about itself though. Many, many mechanics are not obvious and require you paying close attention to minute details and reading the manual.

f@luS

More than a member.
Just started it
It's somehow annoying that it's on wiiu because the art is insane and overall good looking but so much aliasing and low Rez for now standard. I'm playing 2m away from a 175cm tv. Though on the game pad the game is much better looking and framerate is easier. I guess I'm play it there and then it's really a stunner

Venfayth

1) What division should I pick? Sitting at the selection screen now. I know they said I can change it, but I'm having trouble choosing nonetheless because I don't really know what this means in the context of the game.

2) I have a melee art that says it does improved damage when chaining from a ranged combo or something. What's that even mean?

3) I can't seem to figure out how (or why) to target sub regions of an enemy. I thought it was R3 but it doesn't seem to cycle them.

1) Basically, you get BLADE rank points for doing specific things. Curators get 5 points for picking up those blue crystals on the ground, everyone else gets 1, as an example. You can see which things contribute more when you're choosing a division. There are other factors as well but they're less impactful.

2) I believe if you use it after you've used a ranged art then you get bonus damage. Not 100% sure on this.

3) R3 locks in your target if you're already targeting an appendage. You cannot use a button to target appendages. You must simply move closer towards which appendage you want to strike and the target indicator will move to it. Then hit R3 to lock on. (90% sure this is how it works, someone can clarify if I'm wrong)

Just started it
It's somehow annoying that it's on wiiu because the art is insane and overall good looking but so much aliasing and low Rez for now standard. I'm playing 2m away from a 175cm tv. Though on the game pad the game is much better looking and framerate is easier. I guess I'm play it there and then it's really a stunner

I couldn't stand playing Xenoblade because it was so low resolution. I think this looks fine on my TV, way better than the original. I think it looks better on the gamepad because it's getting downscaled, if I were to guess.

TheJoRu

Finally went to Noctilum. It's not so big, way smaller than Primordia. Let me scroll this map scr...

FUCK.

Lol, I had the exact same reaction. I was thinking "oh, that's a bit disappointing. Oh well, makes sense that Primordia would be bigger, this place is really densely vegetat- shiiiieeet.

Jobbs

Banned
Just started it

I like the art design of the game but can't help feel it's a bit wasted on wii u. Framerate, while bearable, is not perfect, and the textures and pop in are pretty bad.

hoserx

1) I'm going to offer a different viewpoint and say, do whatever sounds awesome to you. It's an RPG, play a role. Do what seems interesting! I like to hike and explore in real life so I chose curator.

2) I think someone else could probably answer this one better, but you'll see more combos available once you level higher.

3) You have to physically go stand next to and face the body part you want to attack. I had a hard time figuring this out, too!

4) what do those B button QTEs do?

Curators give you 5 points for each little blue collectible, so that's pretty neat.

I don't quite understand the "combo" thing either.

You have to move around an enemy to get at different limbs and such, and then when you've got the target on there, hit R3 to lock to that part.

B-button QTEs are pretty central to healing, so hit them as much as possible.

Jobbs

Banned
Thanks guys.. One other question. I got an add and honestly couldn't figure out how to switch targets between the mobs during combat... What am I missing?

One more: When the party member chatters stuff like "now use melee attacks!" what's that mean? Should I be paying attention?

Atram

Thanks guys.. One other question. I got an add and honestly couldn't figure out how to switch targets between the mobs during combat... What am I missing?

R+a = Right
R+y = Left

to your edit: yes you should, the skills to use are highlighted in your skillbar (they pulse) during battle.

LProtag

I just about maxed out Galactic Knight. Which class would it be best to move next to for a weapon that meshes well or good skills?

I understand why people are frustrated with the whole design of having threatening enemies dotted all over the introduction zones. Basically every other RPG that I've ever played doesn't do it this way, and I'd imagine it's the same for plenty of others. It just feels like you're doing something wrong, or the game expects you to be way higher level so early in the game.

Once you figure out how to maneuver around and that it's just how the game works, it gets a bit easier to swallow. I agree that it's ultimately a better design for this game. I do like the danger and whatnot. I think - as with plenty of things in this game - the game would be better served by being more transparent about itself though. Many, many mechanics are not obvious and require you paying close attention to minute details and reading the manual.

I think this design decision ties tightly with world-building. Mira is a hostile world, you (players) are always in danger. This, in return, strength the immersion of players as we realize that we are really the frontiers exploring this unknown world. Of course, it may cause frustrations, and people may call on Monolith for putting up such a unconventional design, but still, I personally love this decision. It reflects the determination of Monolith on the world-building of this game. Even though it may drive away some people, they don't make compromise and determine to make a game in which players can actually have the feeling of wandering in this beautiful and harsh world, searching ways to continue the existence of humanity.

Edit: I am refering to the decision of puting strong enemies around Primordia

Raide

*blows brains out

In the upper portion of the gamepad there are some icons that say I have spoils or division rewards or some shit available. How does one go about obtaining these things?

Division Spoils go to Barracks and there is an online machine and you have the option there.

Scout Spoils are down Armory Alley. Another machine there where you register your charter to help people out as an NPC.

webrunner

I am having a lot of trouble deciphering the actual map on the minimap it's like there's a thick blue line right here but it's not a cliff or an overhang what is it

Weebos

Banned
My package finally arrived so I got to play last night.

The game is already better than I thought it would be, which is great.

I joined the Pathfinders, since that seems like the thing I will be doing in the beginning of the game.

So I can't finish the chopper quest at all, I got all the materials but I can't give them to the woman.

And reloading my save doesn't work because I saved after I finally got one of the materials.

Rewind

I think this design decision ties tightly with world-building. Mira is a hostile world, you (players) are always in danger. This, in return, strength the immersion of players as we realize that we are really the frontiers exploring this unknown world. Of course, it may cause frustrations, and people may call on Monolith for putting up such a unconventional design, but still, I personally love this decision. It reflects the determination of Monolith on the world-building of this game. Even though it may drive away some people, they don't make compromise and determine to make a game in which players can actually have the feeling of wandering in this beautiful and harsh world, searching ways to continue the existence of humanity.

I like the strong dudes running around but I hate when level 50s appear from the sky or ground and 1 shot me immediately. They sometimes literally pop in right above you and just fall on top of you. This causes a trial and error scenario that I think is poor design and breaks immersion because it's frustrating. Other than that I like that there are high level enemies roaming, as long as I can see them and avoid them with carefull movement.

Venfayth

So I can't finish the chopper quest at all, I got all the materials but I can't give them to the woman.

Go to your inventory and actually count them to make sure you're not missing any. I think there's a bug that if you add an item you need to the collectopedia or somehow lose it, it won't be reflected in the quest progress indicator.

aravuus

I like the strong dudes running around but I hate when level 50s appear from the sky or ground and 1 shot me immediately. They sometimes literally pop in right above you and just fall on top of you. This causes a trial and error scenario that I think is poor design and breaks immersion because it's frustrating. Other than that I like that there are high level enemies roaming, as long as I can see them and avoid them with carefull movement.

Agreed. I love having high-level monsters around the world, but I HATE it when they literally just pop into existence in your face, automatically aggroed.

Zarovitch

Sometime my art flash, brown i think, this mean that i can chain a combo with partner?

Last night i use my sword in the begining of a fight to boost my melee art then return to my riffle waiting that my melee art flash, then use it to make that extra damage. Is this à good use of art? I think how thing works it's confusing.

Mupod

I haven't found any more than the ones I had yesterday. I've got two more continents to scour though, and I got my Skell last night. I've done a ton of exploration and I'm rich as hell - 3 more levels and I'll be able to make one hell of a crazy Amdusias.

I also noticed that upgrading AMs also upgrades their Skell equipment. I saw that Sakuraba is the one who makes a Pile Bunker, which means I chose correctly (I'll have the fourth AM maxed on my next delivery too).

tizaffy

Neo Member
so ive just unlocked
Overdrive.

Can someone explain to me how to best use this?? from the guide it seems like you should alternate your arts (by color) to keep the counter ticking over?

Chaos17

Ambushes are one of my favorite thing of that game.
You think you're swimming safely ? Then BAM!
I love that sense of danger.

Will I ever stop excelling?

p34pe0F.jpg

Britsh voice will suit that smartass well, lol

Oh, that would be another case. I am pretty early into the game, so I did not have this kind of encounter yet.

Ambushes are one of my favorite thing of that game.
You think you're swimming safely ? Then BAM!
I love that sense of danger.

Haha, this sounds awesome. I personally save a lot, so I really don't mind this happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom