• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinsei

Banned
Ambushes are one of my favorite thing of that game.
You think you're swimming safely ? Then BAM!
I love that sense of danger.

That happened to me. I was swimming away from a dilus when all of a sudden a tyrant that I couldn't see jumps out of the water and soared over me. I was fucked.

Venfayth

Has anyone tried switching to Elma to use her shadowrunner ability for navigating through tricky areas with high level enemies? Does it make a significant difference? I only found out you could do this recently and haven't tried it yet.

Sucks and is annoying when you lose your Skell to something like this.

mrmickfran

Has anyone tried switching to Elma to use her shadowrunner ability for navigating through tricky areas with high level enemies? Does it make a significant difference? I only found out you could do this recently and haven't tried it yet.
Wouldn't your allies attack the enemies though?

Xenoboy

^he means page 70 of the pdf

Yeah, just go to the affinity chart, select a character, and press A to see the line. You can also select the line directly.

Okay, thanks. I'll try it tomorrow. I can swear that I did that though, but I'l try again -.-

Mupod

Have yet to have that happen to me. It seemed to happen a lot in the first game tho

there are several particular enemy types that camouflage themselves that are very annoying when running through an area, although after a while you start to recognize them and avoid them. Which is fine. What's not fine is running through a canyon in Oblivia and an aggro 49 spider spawns on top of me.

The nastiest camo enemy I've seen:

There are these 'stickbug' spider things that blend into walls and wait motionlessly. One of them got me good in Oblivia but I was able to just barely recognize one placed above an item on the ground in a late Noctilum area. Clever girl.

so ive just unlocked
Overdrive.

Can someone explain to me how to best use this?? from the guide it seems like you should alternate your arts (by color) to keep the counter ticking over?

The idea is consecutive melee/ranged attacks build the counter, but you can't swap directly between the two. For example what I do:

Debuff art (purple)
Ranged attack 1 (yellow)
Ranged attack 2 (yellow)
Debuff art 2 (purple)
Melee attacks 1-3

And if I'm somehow still going, I cycle back into a buff or debuff art and keep going. You really need time extension and TP augments for it to be strong but it's a fun mechanic.

hoserx

Will I ever stop excelling?

p34pe0F.jpg

that line killed me haha

desu

I like the strong dudes running around but I hate when level 50s appear from the sky or ground and 1 shot me immediately. They sometimes literally pop in right above you and just fall on top of you. This causes a trial and error scenario that I think is poor design and breaks immersion because it's frustrating. Other than that I like that there are high level enemies roaming, as long as I can see them and avoid them with carefull movement.

Are you playing with data packs? I never really had this issue until reaching the last area and then flying with my skell at fastest speed.

Raide

Is there a good guide on Probes? I understand the linking and mining side but what about Storage, research etc?

Chaos17

I would like to say that XCX do defend well itself in term of good quests, I like to do affinity quests and green quests. I wish there could be more.

Is there a good guide on Probes? I understand the linking and mining side but what about Storage, research etc?
If you're searching a description of those probes I think the manual has it.

Couple dumb beginner questions.

1) What division should I pick? Sitting at the selection screen now. I know they said I can change it, but I'm having trouble choosing nonetheless because I don't really know what this means in the context of the game.
Read section 28 of the manual (page 79 of the PDF). While I'd say go for the one with your favorite recomended activities my understanding is the bonuses for the activities are fairly poorly balanced so you want one whose activities are frequent as having higher a high BLADE level sooner makes exploration more enjoyable (you want mechanical level 4 ASAP so you can avoid being locked out of a data probe spot due to not having the mechanical level to deploy...especially annoying when you sneak past a load of touch enemies).

However it should be emphasised that all divisions get points from doing various activities (killing enemies, finding new areas etc).

Wouldn't your allies attack the enemies though?
The idea is you press B to put weapons away and maybe the party members will do the same. Apparently shadowrunner does expire (as in battles end due to being out of aggro range) unless you keep entering into new battles then pressing B to put away weapons but it is an effective tool for going through areas with high level enemies.

Did you watch the survival guide? The 4th episode goes through some of that. If there are bits you don't understand after that it forms a good base of knowledge.

TunaLover

What gender should go? male or female?
I say this because in MH3U I picked male, later discover that female armor looked way better, how is that in XCX? The game keep the same sense when you choose female, or story wise male make more sense?

Golnei

That whole rival thing is strange with that dude

If you use the Mary McGlynn voice for your avatar, it's almost like sibling rivalry between Wesker children. He just wants onee-sama to notice him.

What genre should go? male or female?
I say this because in MH3U I picked male, later discover that female armor looked way better, how is that in XCX? The game keep the same sense when you choose female, or story wise male make more sense?

Pick whichever you want, you can always change after Chapter 5 if you don't like the armour of a given gender. As far as I know, the dialogue changes are just things like replacing 'sir' with 'ma'am'.

Chaos17

What genre should go? male or female?

There're a lot of different armors so it's difficult to say which one look better, imo.
No difference for the story.

Well like...I mean I'm coming across areas where I'm supposed to be able to go and then lv. 40 monsters appear randomly and en mass so I have to either stop and find another way around OR tip toe around them. I feel like the game is asking me to go anywhere I can then proceeds to say 'no, you can't do that yet.' I know XC did it, but not to the degree I'm seeing here. In that game, they felt pretty special and significant while here it's like 'lv.11 of X' are next to lv. 40 of the same. They don't look any different, just hit harder.

I felt like that when I first got to Noctilum. I was level 15, and the place is filled with those giant alligator beasts, they're level 35!

At first I thought I would have to grind, but then I noticed there was a big mix of mid level and high level creatures around. I managed to cross Noctilum and complete the story mission just by avoiding getting too close to the water (I was pretty scared the whole time), but there was a very tense moment where I had to swim very close to an alligator and pray it wouldn't notice me. It was an amazing experience.

Somnid

In Noctilum I ran into some wreckage that looked odd in the middle of a lake. Swam up and it springs to life as a level 60 tyrant. Quite the "oh shit" moment.

Go to your inventory and actually count them to make sure you're not missing any. I think there's a bug that if you add an item you need to the collectopedia or somehow lose it, it won't be reflected in the quest progress indicator.
Yeah for some reason I was a dumbass and added one of the items to the collectopedia.
Now I finished the mission and
I think I did something wrong because the chopper had a crash landing and one of the two died :(

NeonZ

For a game that was apparently very expensive to make...this game has a ton of rough spots.

I'm not sure about that.

http://www.gamereactor.eu/articles/368023/Tetsuya+Takahashi+Talks+Xenoblade+Chronicles+X/
In RPG development, the sections that cost the most are the cut scenes and events in the main story. Since this is Monolith Soft's first high-definition open world title, we decided to focus less on these and instead shift our resources into improving the quality of the gameplay - which is most important - especially the "hack and slash" combat. This is the reason that we decided to make the player's character an avatar without a real personality. In exchange, we focused on designing lots of quests, and added a lot of supporting characters related to these. Many people in the development team were involved with these supporting characters, and I think we have been able to give them all strong, distinct personalities.

That makes it sound like their budget was actually rather restricted.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
In Noctilum I ran into some wreckage that looked odd in the middle of a lake. Swam up and it springs to life as a level 60 tyrant. Quite the "oh shit" moment.

You and everyone else. Everyone fall for that shit. I thought it was mechanical debris so I jumped down to get it. :(

Yeah fuck that guy! I thought it was just some high level archaeological stuff to mine, but noooooooo.

vLcS16fl.jpg

Uncontrollable was almost good. Then there's the portion of the song where both singers sing a different chorus loudly at the same time, ON TOP of all the dialogue being shout out on the battle. What were they thinking.

The Prone battle theme is easily the best battle music in the game.

Just gotta embrace the anime. I try to time my big attacks to the beginning of the choruses, hah.

And yes, the Prone/Ganglion theme is on point. Considering they're the big baddies, the tone of the track fits perfectly.

okita

Yeah for some reason I was a dumbass and added one of the items to the collectopedia.
Now I finished the mission and
I think I did something wrong because the chopper had a crash landing and one of the two died :(

Blue cable was my choice and the two came back alive safely, so problably you choose red?

Malrend

Just came across this same fellow (named Go'rha) a few minutes ago.. I pretty much ended up scrambling for the shore, and only just managed to get out of his aggro prior to some massive laser barrage of death hitting me.

1. Check this : https://fanofxenobladex.wordpress.com/2015/12/05/xenoblades-chronicles-x-beginner-tips-2/
2. Are you talking about arguments/gems ?
3. only at chapter 5 when you will unlock feature to redo your char

Thanks a lot !

Regarding point 2., I mean that some objects have bonus values listed below them, and sometimes a slot ?

I'm unsure how this system works. Is it different from augments ? I found a way to upgrade thise stats (PV+II -> +III) but not remove them ?

Chaos17

Thanks a lot !

Regarding point 2., I mean that some objects have bonus values listed below them, and sometimes a slot ?

I'm unsure how this system works. Is it different from augments ? I found a way to upgrade thise stats (PV+II -> +III) but not remove them ?

Yeah, some equipement has a slot, it's for gems/arguments.
You should be able to remove any gems.

Can you take a a screenshot about "I found a way to upgrade thise stats (PV+II -> +III)" ?
I've difficulty to picture what you are talking about.

aravuus

So before I start fucking around too much with this machine, quick clarifications: if someone runs out of fuel, they'll just jump out of the skell, right? And fuel replenishes slowly when I'm out of the skell? Or do I have to refuel them in the barracks every time?

And about dying. I only need to take care of my OWN skell, right? Three "free" deaths, then I gotta buy a new skell? What happens if a party members skell gets destroyed? Do they get replaced for free forever?

e: also I equipped my skells with BIG ASS LASER SWORDS, how the hell do I use them?

I was able to start playing last night and got to the part in Chapter 0 where you see the NLA pod.

I feel like I need to keep adjusting the camera controls a bit to find something I like.

So I was looking at the stats of my party last night. I'm lvl 21 and for some reason Elma has the lowest damage in my group (high 80s for ranged and ~120 for melee), oddly enough Lin has melee damage in the 250s while my partitan eagle is at like 150 for both. Does anyone know if FMJ and Elma get passive skills to boost damage?

Ecto311

Anyone else have problems installing the load fast packs? I have been trying for over 2 hours to download them and my system keeps fighting me. One time the USB is full so the wiiu is trying to send it there, then I move all the shit to the system and now it wants to install on the system not the USB. Is there a way to force it to install on the empty spot when I move things. Basically I move the games I have installed (and it takes forever) then the install wants to use the opposite one that has all the stuff on it each time.

Munter

You guys are keeping me salivated while I'm at work. Still awaiting on my copy arriving, but I'm getting a lot of hints and tips so keep it up!

Baliis

So before I start fucking around too much with this machine, quick clarifications: if someone runs out of fuel, they'll just jump out of the skell, right? And fuel replenishes slowly when I'm out of the skell? Or do I have to refuel them in the barracks every time?

And about dying. I only need to take care of my OWN skell, right? Three "free" deaths, then I gotta buy a new skell? What happens if a party members skell gets destroyed? Do they get replaced for free forever?

e: also I equipped my skells with BIG ASS LASER SWORDS, how the hell do I use them?

If your skell dies, you have a chance to eject basically with the QTE, if you perfect it it doesn't eat an insurance use. As far as I can tell the AI always perfect ejects. No idea about fuel though, I've never come close to running out to see.

Each weapon you add should just art the art to your skill bar for it.

BlueEyedBeast

Neo Member
In my opinion, the placement of powerful enemies (stronger than you, at least) in accessible locations creates a funnel in which you have to do a bit of your own Pathfinding to find a safe route.

In a world so open, movement and accessibility is channeled through the flow of landforms ("This mountain is too tall to climb so I need to cross this bridge and go through this cave", etc). However, the enemies create an artificial, almost psychological barrier ("I can't cross this bridge, its guarded by level 50's!").

While these areas are easily accessible physically, the enemies provide a sort of "at your own risk" level of danger. What's important is that as you become more powerful, you can overcome these enemies and they stop becoming a roadblock and the world begins to open up more and more.

It's a big world, and so in terms of efficiency, the ideal path would be a very "point A to point B" approach. I feel like the added level of danger simply allows for more high stakes "exploring" and if you skirt around tough baddies, you may well discover something you wouldn't have otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom