• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildean

Told myself and told myself I'd pass on this, as I never got into Xenoblade on Wii, but the allure of that lush open world proved too much.

So here are some early impressions. The voice acting is wooden, and the cutscenes and dialogue are another level of bad. Long static shots of people standing around spouting exposition abound, like outtakes from The Phantom Menance. The world building is totally incoherent and the back story filled with lazy coincidences.

Lucky the aliens shot the Ark down over such a pleasant green planet, and not lava planet or minus 200°c planet. How did they manage to put up New LA in two months? How come BLADE, which was setup after they landed, has a logo plastered everywhere already? How can Skells be a precious resource vital to humanity's defence yet somehow there are some in private hands, for sale in the market? Why doesn't the government seize them?

And why does everyone treat your character like the second coming? After being found you prove capable in a fight, and somehow this means that you become the talk of the town and everyone is desperate to see you join BLADE. Which is a big deal even though we are told most people in New LA work for BLADE in some capacity. Which is also weird, because there is a whole mediator division of BLADE that functions to preserve peace with Joe Public...by which they mean the minority of people not in BLADE??

Combat seems potentially deep, but like its Wii-decessor, the fights in X can feel like they just play out in front of you so there is no incentive to experiment. Pick fights appropriate to your level and you will win without touching a button it seems.

Music is very disappointing. Not bad exactly, but often sets the wrong tone and the vocals are distracting. A world away from the gorgeous soundtrack the previous Xenoblade boasted.

The graphics are impressive and the landscapes especially beautiful. Looking forward to exploring more (and hopefully sitting through cutscenes less.)

Chaos17

We've been repeating this for some pages now XD

Told myself and told myself I'd pass on this, as I never got into Xenoblade on Wii, but the allure of that lush open world proved too much.

So here are some early impressions. The voice acting is wooden, and the cutscenes and dialogue are another level of bad. Long static shots of people standing around spouting exposition abound, like outtakes from The Phantom Menance. The world building is totally incoherent and the back story filled with lazy coincidences.

Lucky the aliens shot the Ark down over such a pleasant green planet, and not lava planet or minus 200°c planet. How did they manage to put up New LA in two months? How come BLADE, which was setup after they landed, has a logo plastered everywhere already? How can Skells be a precious resource vital to humanity's defence yet somehow there are some in private hands, for sale in the market? Why doesn't the government seize them?

And why does everyone treat your character like the second coming? After being found you prove capable in a fight, and somehow this means that you become the talk of the town and everyone is desperate to see you join BLADE. Which is a big deal even though we are told most people in New LA work for BLADE in some capacity. Which is also weird, because there is a whole mediator division of BLADE that functions to preserve peace with Joe Public...by which they mean the minority of people not in BLADE??

Combat seems potentially deep, but like its Wii-decessor, the fights in X can feel like they just play out in front of you so there is no incentive to experiment. Pick fights appropriate to your level and you will win without touching a button it seems.

Music is very disappointing. Not bad exactly, but often sets the wrong tone and the vocals are distracting. A world away from the gorgeous soundtrack the previous Xenoblade boasted.

The graphics are impressive and the landscapes especially beautiful. Looking forward to exploring more (and hopefully sitting through cutscenes less.)

1. voice acting is fince compared at what usually j-rpg get. Yes, it's not yet some level as Dragon age or Witcher dubbing but I think the voice actor pulled it off nicely.
2. you should play with the camera when it's not automatic mode, you can make some pretty nice screenshots <3
3. About your spoiler, many things are explained by the npcs in the city, you should talk to them seriously even outside of quests they do have some interesting infos.
4. About the combat, meh no ^_^ When you will get the hang of it, it will become dynamic and fast like a rythmed game. Mess up your combo and you can say bye bye depending of the monster.
5. Music depend of the taste of evybody, personally they grew on me even the bad ones.
6. Don't worry, if you don't rush trhough the story you will have more exploration than story.

I don't get you why you say people threat you like the second coming, you should've tried to refuse to join Blade and you will have seen that they just want recruits as much as possible. They want more soldiers, nothing else. Beside, it's Elma who is more reconized has being important by the citizen, she is a big shot and you're just working under her.

WVW69io5wCwlx7swLT

Not_Mario

Neo Member
It means you have a quest to kill them

Does anyone know if those appear above enemies even if you haven't accepted the quest? Those testicle chin birds had them when I was playing yesterday but I didn't see that I had any mission to kill them and when I did kill them there was no progress notification.

It's heavily hinted that there's something about Mira that led to us crash landing there, and that it wasn't actually a coincidence. I don't know what yet though

zroid

Banned
Am I the only one who thinks the voice acting is fantastic? Some of the best voices I've ever heard in a JRPG. I know that's not saying a lot, but still.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Ok I am getting confused now regarding the mix matching thing.

Guess I'll find out for sure as soon as I knock the last 2 levels of duelist :D

I think here's how it goes:

Arts are assigned to Weapons and weapons are assigned to a Class. So it goes Arts = Weapon = Class

Once you completely master a Class and reach the end of the tree branch, you can now use the weapons from the class in another class. The arts are ALWAYS assigned to the weapon you're using.

Maybe someone can take a screenshot to show what I'm talking about. I'm also curious if there's a breakdown of each class and shows the pros/cons in a more meaningful way than what the game describes.

I get the impression if you play the game you get some of the answers for the questions you are asking.

Sylas

For some cases maybe. But not for every situation but I'll have to check when I get home.

Like I said full Metal jaguar gives high evasion and is built around being essentially a glass cannon rogue (ie the lower your health the more useful you tend to be).

If another class actually has base stats that compliment this better awesome but I can't think of another class that could be useful unless there's a class that has an art that boosts the damage of TP skills

I think it's just variable depending on your playstyle. For instance, I'm really enjoying the high burst from my photo saber arts combined with the crit auras + appendage breaking arts from sniper rifle.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
For some cases maybe. But not for every situation but I'll have to check when I get home.

Like I said full Metal jaguar gives high evasion and is built around being essentially a glass cannon rogue (ie the lower your health the more useful you tend to be).

If another class actually has base stats that compliment this better awesome but I can't think of another class that could be useful unless there's a class that has an art that boosts the damage of TP skills

Keep in mind that the arts received from affinity missions, which are beastly as fuck, might play into building a custom class. I'd not only look at the standard arts, but check into the affinity arts when doing this as a lot of those are pretty interesting.

-MB-

In Noctilum I ran into some wreckage that looked odd in the middle of a lake. Swam up and it springs to life as a level 60 tyrant. Quite the "oh shit" moment.

Good lesson for next time to actually check the minimap if somethign is what u think it is, since
wreackages and other stuff u can check+collect, are marked yellow on it.

Not_Mario

Neo Member
It's heavily hinted that there's something about Mira that led to us crash landing there, and that it wasn't actually a coincidence. I don't know what yet though

Yeah I'm only a few chapters in and there have been things that happened where the game tells you there's something strange about this planet. I did wonder about the BLADE logo being so well designed and put everywhere for them being refugees with limited resources. You'd think they'd have higher priorities than to design a nice insignia and brand their everything like that.

Spoilers for chapter 5 don't read if you haven't gotten there.
The ma-non basically say that their ship is so advanced it shouldn't have been dragged into Mira so there's definitely something weird going on there.

EDIT: Totally random theory please don't confirm or deny
Could there be some kind of Zohar-like thing going on with Mira/inside of Mira that's causing ships to be pulled in?

Sylas

I ain't gonna tell you that your impressions are wrong, but I think you came into the game expecting to dislike it and are jumping to a lot of conclusions without giving the game a chance to prove itself.

It's a long experience that isn't going to hold your hand. I'm honestly finding the world building to be superb and the voice acting pretty excellent, honestly. A lot of your questions are answered throughout the storytelling, but the game isn't going to shove it in your face for some of the more minor nitpicks.

For example...
They go into the fact that the Skells being in the hands of corporations is a problem, but the government doesn't have the authority to take them by force. Like any real colonization story, the military forcing anything on the general populace is a good way to incite an actual riot. A lot of people are outright complaining that the Arms Manufacturers are taking advantage of the situation--but 'Merica is still gonna 'Merica.

PetrCobra

Tatsu is pretty silly, but I think it works. The delivery is good.

At first I thought Tatsu's accent is too American for someone from a different planet, but then in Chapter 5
in that section where they finally start to wonder about that and Tatsu says "friend's Nopon very good"
that actually started to make better sense.

Weirdly it seems to happen for every character when I select "character profile" on the affinity chart. All the button prompts disappear and nothing seems to have any effect or be able to back out of the screen. What's supposed to happen here?

WVW69ioxyroz66f12S

Well, this happened to me today... Fortunately I didn't lose much progress (about 30 minutes wandering around in NLA).

In other news, I tried to take on the lvl 13 tyrant Sirene, the Lost at lvl 13... didn't end too well for me. :p

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
What's the most important thing to the combat in this game?

Hitting the QTEs? Having the optimal equipment setup? Having upgraded Arts? Having upgraded Skills?

There's so many factors, I have pretty much been ignoring my other party members builds - because screw it I don't want to sit in menus all day. Buuuut if I had to some effort into focusing on one thing, what's going to carry you through most of it?

Credo

If you had some reward ticket you can buy the drop in the blade console at your barracks

I think I'll do that. Killed about 20 more brass suids, destroying the appendages, and then killed about 10 brass femina suids doing the same thing, and still no drop, so I give up.

So I got my Skell wrecked but even when I hit the perfect timing on the evacuation my insurance goes down.

Is that supposed to happen?

Omnicent

Keep in mind that the arts received from affinity missions, which are beastly as fuck, might play into building a custom class. I'd not only look at the standard arts, but check into the affinity arts when doing this as a lot of those are pretty interesting.

So much this. Ghost Stage sounds godly (as do some of the other Arts received from Affinity Quests).
For those that played FFXI its basically Utsusemi from what I can gather. Want to see if I can infinitly rotate Ghost Stage + Ghost Walker.with some evasion added in.

Not_Mario

Neo Member

Hitting the QTEs? Having the optimal equipment setup? Having upgraded Arts? Having upgraded Skills?

There's so many factors, I have pretty much been ignoring my other party members builds - because screw it I don't want to sit in menus all day. Buuuut if I had to some effort into focusing on one thing, what's going to carry you through most of it?

I'd say keep your arts levelled up and definitely use the soul voice system (the QTE's). If something is giving you more trouble than it seems like it should then check to see if you have better equipment on hand. Don't forget the option for skills (I think that's what it's called) where you can set passive abilities for your party members as some of the bonuses can be really helpful.

Also, don't forget that when you hit a class rank of 10 you can go further on the class tree.

Are there any good sites yet for all of the quests and side quests of where to find the collectibles or enemies? Or are we still pretty much on our own?

massoluk

Banned

I have not finished the game, but by Chapter 5, you probably will rethink this.

Does anyone know if those appear above enemies even if you haven't accepted the quest? Those testicle chin birds had them when I was playing yesterday but I didn't see that I had any mission to kill them and when I did kill them there was no progress notification.

Probably related to squad missions.

Dad

Most of your damage is going to come from figuring out which arts to string together as far as I can tell

Wow, it's amazing what you can find in normal missions. Just met a new type of xenoform in one of them, and I've got another that might lead to yet another new alien type

chekhonte

How are you guys and gals liking it?

I'm on the fence about it. I liked the orginal well enough but i'm not entirely certain if I want to play the sequel if it's too much like the first.

Riki

I'm on the fence about it. I liked the orginal well enough but not enough but i'm not entirely certain if I want to play the sequel if it's too much like the first.
I'm getting the shakes not being able to play it a work. :(

Sylas

I'm on the fence about it. I liked the orginal well enough but not enough but i'm not entirely certain if I want to play the sequel if it's too much like the first.

This game was maybe my game of the year. Then I got my Skell. Now it is my game of the year.

It scratches all of the itches I've been having for a long, long time. Got that old space anime feel to it while taking Phantasy Star Online's aesthetic.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Wow, it's amazing what you can find in normal missions. Just met a new type of xenoform in one of them, and I've got another that might lead to yet another new alien type

The normal missions are spectacular. It's like the story missions are the sort of thing you'd see in a mini-series, the affinity missions feel more like the kind of stories you'd see in a TV show, and the story missions are what you'd see in side stories. There's been a lot of complaints with how the game treated it's story, but I feel like part of that might have been them treating it more like a TV show than a movie.

So much this. Ghost Stage sounds godly (as do some of the other Arts received from Affinity Quests).
For those that played FFXI its basically Utsusemi from what I can gather. Want to see if I can infinitly rotate Ghost Stage + Ghost Walker.with some evasion added in.

I got Ultraslash the other day and it hits like a truck. It gets an attack bonus when used from behind and when you combo that with the bonus from using it for a Soul Voice it just wrecks face.

Gotchaye

I'm not too far into it, but I'm a bit puzzled by how all the combat numbers interact. Has anyone already experimented to figure out what they're doing? Here's what I think is going on; corrections are welcome.

So, obviously you attack with your melee weapon once per cooldown. Presumably your hit probability is something like Accuracy minus Evasion (where this goes up for attacks from the front). Damage dealt starts at total melee attack, is randomly adjusted by +-Stability, and is modified by enemy defense - is this just subtraction?

Ranged weapons are similar except they fire a number of shots equal to their ammo every time their cooldown is up. But each shot still does Total Ranged Attack damage, individually modified by enemy defense, I think - this is why ranged attack tends to be lower and why Elma is such a powerhouse early on.

Arts that do weapon damage have a number of hits and a hit scaling. They hit Number_of_Hits times where each hit does Total_[Melee/Ranged]_Attack * Hit_Scaling damage (probably adjusted for defense).

Okay, so if all that's true then it seems like ranged arts generally won't do great damage. Total Ranged Attack tends to be lower than Total Melee Attack to compensate for ranged weapons firing multiple shots, but ranged arts don't have lots more hits or much higher scaling than melee arts. Or am I missing something here?

Edit: Oh, and there are resistances, but I can only guess at what those are doing.

Dad

If you're worried about it being too much like the original, don't because the two are almost nothing alike. There are a couple of returning species and the combat is basically an extension of XC, but that's about it really.

As for the game itself, I think I'm in the minority opinion of being a bit mixed on it. It's a game of really high highs, and some pretty low lows. There's a bizarre lack of quality of life features in a lot of places, some that even the original game had. But it's worth it for the badass space Lewis and Clark adventuring. The exploration stuff is seriously top notch.

Qurupeke

Chapter 8 Spoilers

That was pretty epic. I'm not sure if I was supposed to, but I brought my Skells in the fights so I retty much steamrolled it. The scale of the enemies urged me to do it, not sure if I could finish the level without skells. I fucking loved the Skells vs Skells fights though. In the first act of the chapter, I was the only one without a Skell, it fucking sucked.

Also, I hope te cat people will eventually join me... Those were some nice moves that could tear even Skells.

Kinsei

Banned
I was out exploring in Oblivia and found
three enemies stacked together like in Mario Maker.

Will this game ever stop surprising me?

h0tp0ck3t

Can your characters stand on top of their Skells? I'm sitting here coming up with epic ideas for screenshots when I finally get mine

chekhonte

If you're worried about it being too much like the original, don't because the two are almost nothing alike. There are a couple of returning species and the combat is basically an extension of XC, but that's about it really.

As for the game itself, I think I'm in the minority opinion of being a bit mixed on it. It's a game of really high highs, and some pretty low lows. There's a bizarre lack of quality of life features in a lot of places, some that even the original game had. But it's worth it for the badass space Lewis and Clark adventuring. The exploration stuff is seriously top notch.

Well you sold me with the exploration. One of my favorite aspects of any game. I think I can handle the middling aspects.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm not too far into it, but I'm a bit puzzled by how all the combat numbers interact. Has anyone already experimented to figure out what they're doing? Here's what I think is going on; corrections are welcome.

So, obviously you attack with your melee weapon once per cooldown. Presumably your hit probability is something like Accuracy minus Evasion (where this goes up for attacks from the front). Damage dealt starts at total melee attack, is randomly adjusted by +-Stability, and is modified by enemy defense - is this just subtraction?

Ranged weapons are similar except they fire a number of shots equal to their ammo every time their cooldown is up. But each shot still does Total Ranged Attack damage, individually modified by enemy defense, I think - this is why ranged attack tends to be lower and why Elma is such a powerhouse early on.

Arts that do weapon damage have a number of hits and a hit scaling. They hit Number_of_Hits times where each hit does Total_[Melee/Ranged]_Attack * Hit_Scaling damage (probably adjusted for defense).

Okay, so if all that's true then it seems like ranged arts generally won't do great damage. Total Ranged Attack tends to be lower than Total Melee Attack to compensate for ranged weapons firing multiple shots, but ranged arts don't have lots more hits or much higher scaling than melee arts. Or am I missing something here?

Well I dunno about most of it but the stability is the variance number. The attack won't hit for the same number each time, it'll be within a range of the base damage. So if you've got a weapon that has a base of 20 and a stability of +-5 you could hit for 25 or 15 or anywhere in between. So the tighter the stability the less spiky your damage will be.

For ranged weapons they'll fire as many shots as are listed in the clip. So if the ammo is 12 then it'll fire 12 shots each cooldown.

For the resistances, they do exactly what it sounds like. If you've got good beam resistance you take less beam damage (basically damage from lasers and shit) and so on and so forth.

dubq

That moment when this game gives you a party member with the same (uniquely spelled) name as your ex, and you can't rename her..

tumblr_inline_nm1bq7km6G1ss27h4.gif

Lin

Real talk: still love the game, regardless.

Baliis

This game was maybe my game of the year. Then I got my Skell. Now it is my game of the year.

It scratches all of the itches I've been having for a long, long time. Got that old space anime feel to it while taking Phantasy Star Online's aesthetic.

It's amazing how much of a jump getting a skell was. Walking on foot, you see these monsters that tower over you. But with a skell, you can go toe to toe with them... but there's still monsters that tower over you, like holy fuck. I imagine getting the flight module will be the same feeling.

Just for fun, I entered the global nemesis fight or however that works just to look at it, that thing is fucking huge.

This could apply to any RPG with experience levels. Any game with EXP allows you to engage in combat with minimal input, the idea is that players who know what they're doing will challenge themselves with either facing higher level enemies or to defeat enemies as quickly as possible with ideal combat setups and decisions.

I recommend picking fights inappropriate to your level.

Chaos17

I'm on the fence about it. I liked the orginal well enough but i'm not entirely certain if I want to play the sequel if it's too much like the first.

I can say that one of the charm of that game is that everyhting (game mechanics) are connected well. You're not exploring just for the sake of it which make kinda your effort worth it.

Lot of things are also hidden, for example the board of Blade where most of the fetch quests are can hide normal quests (npcs quests) that you can only unlock through there. There're different way to unlock/get npcs quests.

There're a lot of optional stuffs to let the player choose his play style but seriously only the patient player who want to dig deep in the game will probably realsie how much the devs putted efforts into it. Like some of your quests can have a little impact of the world (like some building being build on X map after you did a fetch quest) but you won't notice those changes unless you explore because the game won't give you a notice about it.

Blues1990

I just got my Skell Flight Module, and I can't wait to take to the skies.

However, I want to start Chapter 10, but I can't find Elma. She's usually at the Blade Headquarters, near the meeting room, but she's not there. Where is she now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom