• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

anaron

The normal missions are spectacular. It's like the story missions are the sort of thing you'd see in a mini-series, the affinity missions feel more like the kind of stories you'd see in a TV show, and the story missions are what you'd see in side stories. There's been a lot of complaints with how the game treated it's story, but I feel like part of that might have been them treating it more like a TV show than a movie.

Yup.

it's funny seeing how many people across various sites surprised how much they're loving the world and characters despite going in with the idea that according to import impressions "the story is shit."

moral of the story: play the damn game and decide for yourself.

Qurupeke

I just got my Skell Flight Module, and I can't wait to take to the skies.

However, I want to start Chapter 10, but I can't find Elma. She's usually at the Blade Headquarters, near the meeting room, but she's not there. Where is she now?
Unless it's something story related, just change the clock a few times and she should appear.

Sylas

It's amazing how much of a jump getting a skell was. Walking on foot, you see these monsters that tower over you. But with a skell, you can go toe to toe with them... but there's still monsters that tower over you, like holy fuck. I imagine getting the flight module will be the same feeling.

Just for fun, I entered the global nemesis fight or however that works just to look at it, that thing is fucking huge.

I equate it to getting your vehicles in the PS1 FF games. It's an actual paradigm shift where you go from having to look at things you can't quite go to, to making the world your bitch that bows beneath the might of technological advancement.

I imagine getting the flight module is going to be like hopping into the Highwind for the first time in FF7 and having free reign of the entire planet. Except there's shit in the sky that wants to eat you, so it's not totally free of troubles.

Diablos54

Oblivia Exploration:

Mqmay3q.jpg

XL6NOJO.jpg

jPE1K5L.jpg

ULvRy0s.jpg

SDUljpI.jpg

DFBtKCS.jpg

yIkjVTs.jpg

OjI3r2Q.jpg

kB4FOne.jpg

T3W9WTz.jpg

fe55cNC.jpg

30 hours in, just finished chapter 5, things are really starting to heat up!

Chaos17

Yup.

it's funny seeing how many people across various sites surprised how much they're loving the world and characters despite going in with the idea that according to import impressions "the story is shit."

Not only in the import thread
some dummies on GameFaq too who didn't do those side quests jump to conclusion how hollow the lore/characters/story is -.-

Wait on Gaf too, with the topic "want Zelda U big like XCX"
The hate over there was the same level as those dummies on GameFaq.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yup.

I think people were just so used to seeing game stories treated like movies that seeing one treated like a TV series threw them for a loop.

Not_Mario

Neo Member
This could apply to any RPG with experience levels. Any game with EXP allows you to engage in combat with minimal input, the idea is that players who know what they're doing will challenge themselves with either facing higher level enemies or to defeat enemies as quickly as possible with ideal combat setups and decisions.

I recommend picking fights inappropriate to your level.

I like how much more feasible it is to take on enemies that are 3-4 levels higher than you in the early game here compared to the first game.

Can someone explain how to chain overclock gear arts together? I understand that you can't do melee arts immediately after ranged arts, or vice-versa, but when I try auras in between it seems inconsistent and sometimes OC will end. I must be doing something wrong.

Dad

Not only in the import thread
some dummies on GameFaq too who didn't do those side quests jump to conclusion how hollow the lore/characters/story is -.-

Wait on Gaf too, with the topic "want Zelda U big like XCX"
The hate over there was the same level as those dummies on GameFaq.

It's almost like the game doesn't have universal appeal or something

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Bah, stuck on a affinity quest now where you need 3,000 credits from a single return. Need research probes..

Just throw like 2 down on a pair of nodes with high revenue potential. I've thrown down like 4 or 5 research probes tops and I get like 20 or 30k a pop.

You'd think with a map on the gamepad, finding places would be easier, but not enough is labeled... Where is that base you went to for Chapter 3? It's called Seaswept Base I think? I have to go there to do stuff for The Repair Job.

Golnei

You'd think with a map on the gamepad, finding places would be easier, but not enough is labeled... Where is that base you went to for Chapter 3? It's called Seaswept Base I think? I have to go there to do stuff for The Repair Job.

For the energy tubes? You might just be better off buying them from the BLADE barracks instead.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

If you cycle through map types, to just a landscape map, there's a lot more stuff labeled. Also, use the follow ball if you get lost. That thing is a huge help.

Chaos17

Tip of the day : companion can react to conversation, it's rare but it can happen. Here an example >

"Today I decided to talk with Dana in the hangar while I had Irina with me. To my surprise, Irina reacted when Dana talked about Elma and "the new guy" beating indigens outside the west gate. It even added a relationship to the affinity chart. I never knew that. I guess I now have to speak with everybody again."
https://www.reddit.com/r/Xenoblade_...rently_companions_can_react_to_conversations/

It's almost like the game doesn't have universal appeal or something

Open world games have been crucified because of some black sheeps :x
Even if there were some good examples, people just remember the bad ones...

For the energy tubes? You might just be better off buying them from the BLADE barracks instead.

I might do that, but it bugs me I can't find it on the map. lol

If you cycle through map types, to just a landscape map, there's a lot more stuff labeled. Also, use the follow ball if you get lost. That thing is a huge help.

I still don't see it labeled on there unfortunately. :(

EDIT: finally found the area. Not sure why it isn't labeled on my map tho..

massoluk

Banned

Yeah, I have been stuck forever on a mission repairing a chopper in Noctilum. The direction for the last item is vague as fuck and the follow ball doesn't work on this particular unique item... why?

Fandangox

Tip of the day : companion can react to conversation, it's rare but it can happen. Here an example >

Yeah I remember one of Irina and some Blades commenting about Irina being the leader of the current squad, when she just said it was the MC calling the shots this time.

The first Xenoblade had something like that with some quests, some party members had unique dialogue if they were present.

chekhonte

I can say that one of the charm of that game is that everyhting (game mechanics) are connected well. You're not exploring just for the sake of it which make kinda your effort worth it.

Lot of things are also hidden, for example the board of Blade where most of the fetch quests are can hide normal quests (npcs quests) that you can only unlock through there. There're different way to unlock/get npcs quests.

There're a lot of optional stuffs to let the player choose his play style but seriously only the patient player who want to dig deep in the game will probably realsie how much the devs putted efforts into it. Like some of your quests can have a little impact of the world (like some building being build on X map after you did a fetch quest) but you won't notice those changes unless you explore because the game won't give you a notice about it.

too late, Im already headed to the story to get a copy.

Omnicent

I'm not too far into it, but I'm a bit puzzled by how all the combat numbers interact. Has anyone already experimented to figure out what they're doing? Here's what I think is going on; corrections are welcome.

So, obviously you attack with your melee weapon once per cooldown. Presumably your hit probability is something like Accuracy minus Evasion (where this goes up for attacks from the front). Damage dealt starts at total melee attack, is randomly adjusted by +-Stability, and is modified by enemy defense - is this just subtraction?

Ranged weapons are similar except they fire a number of shots equal to their ammo every time their cooldown is up. But each shot still does Total Ranged Attack damage, individually modified by enemy defense, I think - this is why ranged attack tends to be lower and why Elma is such a powerhouse early on.

Arts that do weapon damage have a number of hits and a hit scaling. They hit Number_of_Hits times where each hit does Total_[Melee/Ranged]_Attack * Hit_Scaling damage (probably adjusted for defense).

Okay, so if all that's true then it seems like ranged arts generally won't do great damage. Total Ranged Attack tends to be lower than Total Melee Attack to compensate for ranged weapons firing multiple shots, but ranged arts don't have lots more hits or much higher scaling than melee arts. Or am I missing something here?

Edit: Oh, and there are resistances, but I can only guess at what those are doing.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MBI1Dw6A1rfR_UNfFT0EgQo5ADhJU4kcYFu4618DFsI/pub#id.uid7ifptz3gi

Attached to the doc the CAAAWWWW made. Has some of the equations,
Weapons with low weapon attack (like the Assault Rifle) can be pretty weak (Like Furious Blast) unless you can pump up the Weapon attack value via augments.
Depending on the weapon/arts you use will determine how you setup your augments/type of weapon. If I can find a low ammo high weapon damage assault rifle I'd use it since it would be a huge buff to AR assault damage for some arts.

tizaffy

Neo Member
Yeah, I have been stuck forever on a mission repairing a chopper in Noctilum. The direction for the last item is vague as fuck and the follow ball doesn't work on this particular unique item... why?

awful quest mate. you need to go to the weeping whitewood and keep running around collecting the blue crystals on the ground until you get the drop. if you dont get it. reload the area / walk out walk back in again.

moral of the story, dont take gathering quests

Fandangox

The NPC gives you the wrong location, he says "Great Nai" but its north east of there, forgot the name of the place, but you will recognize it when you find it, the music there changes and the place looks like if it were in a weird white/purpleish autumn. Its Wheeping something, not sure.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Once you completed the main story line you gain access to DLC missions. And there is one netting you 60 BP every time.

Aside from that, you gain BP from squad missions too. So it's limitless.

Can you repeat missions? I thought they were a "do it once and you're done" kind of thing, but you said "every time," which gives me hope.

moerser

i caved and bought the wiiu xenoblade edition thanks to this thread... this better be good ladies and gentlemen :D

I like how much more feasible it is to take on enemies that are 3-4 levels higher than you in the early game here compared to the first game.

Can someone explain how to chain overclock gear arts together? I understand that you can't do melee arts immediately after ranged arts, or vice-versa, but when I try auras in between it seems inconsistent and sometimes OC will end. I must be doing something wrong.

Agreed. I think they got rid of the extra boosts and deductions from large level disparities.

Auras won't increase the counter, but using an aura after a melee art will allow you to increase the counter with ranged arts after the aura, or vice versa. I think the idea is to change the color of the counter before landing hits to increase the counter.

There are special effects from certain overdrive combos such as:

3x melee arts: exp bonus
3x ranged arts: class exp bonus
debuff > any art: appendage damange bonus
support > any art: double overdrive count
aura > debuff: extend debuff
aura > support: recover HP

I might do that, but it bugs me I can't find it on the map. lol

I still don't see it labeled on there unfortunately. :(

EDIT: finally found the area. Not sure why it isn't labeled on my map tho..

you can find it, the prone base in the main area has three of them low level. You could get to their area, kill the dudes, if they don't drop it, quit to title screen and reload game. You could fast travel too but then you risk having to fight the dudes getting to these guys over and over again.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
i caved and bought the wiiu xenoblade edition thanks to this thread... this better be good ladies and gentlemen :D

Keep in mind that you don't become Death, Destroyer of Worlds until you reach level 25-ish and get your giant robot. It becomes a completely different game once you have a skell, the feel just changes entirely. I went from sneaking around hoping the big scary monsters wouldn't notice me, to becoming the biggest baddest monster on the block--only to discover the next block over had even scarier monsters.

VandalD

Wish the game would throw me more research probes. I have far too many mining probes. Why would I even use them when I already can't hold the amount of Miranium it's giving me with almost all basic probes?

Remember folks, if you're getting stuck on quests that require drops from enemies, you can instead try using your tickets at the multiplayer console to just buy the items instead. It's saved me a lot of hassle, especially with the repair quest.

Where might I find some Beogflea Squashes?
Far northeast lake in Oblivia.

I'm not too far into it, but I'm a bit puzzled by how all the combat numbers interact. Has anyone already experimented to figure out what they're doing? Here's what I think is going on; corrections are welcome.
Well Omnicient already linked it, but yes, I've written up some incomplete stuff on damage calculations here. Enemies don't have any 'defense,' instead their appendages reduce(or increase, for weak points) damage by a certain percentage based on that appendage's 'toughness rank,' and then their elemental resistances reduce/increase the damage they take further. Appendage toughness and resistances apply before the additive stuff in my equations, I think, and critical hit damage bonuses probably apply before those.

Is that Lin's Affinity Mission? I heard it was generally recommended to skip that in the beginning because it makes you do a lot of stuff while blocking you from the main story. :s

Kyzon

Wish the game would throw me more research probes. I have far too many mining probes. Why would I even use them when I already can't hold the amount of Miranium it's giving me with almost all basic probes?

Remember folks, if you're getting stuck on quests that require drops from enemies, you can instead try using your tickets at the multiplayer console to just buy the items instead. It's saved me a lot of hassle, especially with the repair quest.

Far northeast lake in Oblivia.

Keep in mind you'll have to travel to the far east of oblivia before trekking north to reach this area. it's FN316 you're looking for, north of a large lake in the mountains.

I just found a random hidden cave filled with them XD

Ennosuke

I am really impressed by this world. These days there are so many open world games, but the minority really awakens this need to explore a beautiful world.

zroid

Banned
Bah, stuck on a affinity quest now where you need 3,000 credits from a single return. Need research probes..

Where is this affinity mission I keep hearing about haha

I'm already making 5500 or so per cycle, sounds like an easy one :D

sora87

Just throw like 2 down on a pair of nodes with high revenue potential. I've thrown down like 4 or 5 research probes tops and I get like 20 or 30k a pop.

All the nodes left were too high level in primordia so i had to sprint around oblivia for a bit and put some down there :B

Quick chapter 5 question :

I could accept the mission even tough I appear to be severely under leveled.

I
destroyed
2 out of 3
anti air thingy
, but the third is under the guard of lvl 20 ennemies (My team is 16/17).

I'm getting my ass kicked, and since I accepted a Story mission, I cannot accept other mini team missions lo level up. Any tip ?

EDIT: in a game that does not (?) have adaptive enemy levels, they should be more regarding about the player level before locking him into a mission...

This game is amazing but some of the missions are complete bullshit. If I'm supposed to acquire collectibles and items, the game should provide me with SOME kind of hint regarding its whereabouts. Saying, "it's in Oblivia" is a fucking joke considering how massive these continents are. It's literally like looking for a needle in a haystack.

I'm a very independent person, so having to go on the internet to find out the location of 3 beagflea squashes really pisses me off. You should never, ever have to go outside of the game to figure how to make progress in said game.

Most of the other things I had questions about were in the e-manual. Obviously, something like the location of a collectible wouldn't be, which is why the game should have just had the follow ball show you at least the general area where the collectible is located.

This kind of bullshit takes this game from being a 10/10 and firmly puts it in the 8/10 category for me, so far anyway. I don't mind fetch quests, but when the world is as big as Mira, SOME kind of guidance is a requirement.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Quick chapter 5 question :

I could accept the mission even tough I appear to be severely under leveled.

I
destroyed
2 out of 3
anti air thingy
, but the third is under the guard of lvl 20 ennemies (My team is 16/17).

I'm getting my ass kicked, and since I accepted a Story mission, I cannot accept other mini team missions lo level up. Any tip ?

Switch to the base map, with nothing but the landscape on it, and try to figure out a path you can take. I had the same problem on Saturday and just found a way to jump around them on rocks and shit.

Also, so long as you're not getting mobbed by like 4 or 5 guys you can handle enemies 3 levels above you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom