• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinsei

Banned
Quick chapter 5 question :

I could accept the mission even tough I appear to be severely under leveled.

I
destroyed
2 out of 3
anti air thingy
, but the third is under the guard of lvl 20 ennemies (My team is 16/17).

I'm getting my ass kicked, and since I accepted a Story mission, I cannot accept other mini team missions lo level up. Any tip ?

You can kill level 20 enemies at 16/17. Are you using soul voice and combos effectively?

I'd say you're at the recommended level actually.

alvis.exe

Haha I was confused by why people were having so much trouble with that "Repair Job" Affinity Mission and then I realized that the dialogue choice I made cut it short early :D

No regrets!
I'll just go Youtube the other ending lol.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Haha I was confused by why people were having so much trouble with that "Repair Job" Affinity Mission and then I realized that the dialogue choice I made cut it short early :D

No regrets!
I'll just go Youtube the other ending lol.

Good job you now get the bad ending of the game and everyone dies.

jk but wouldn't that be something LOL

moerser

Keep in mind that you don't become Death, Destroyer of Worlds until you reach level 25-ish and get your giant robot. It becomes a completely different game once you have a skell, the feel just changes entirely. I went from sneaking around hoping the big scary monsters wouldn't notice me, to becoming the biggest baddest monster on the block--only to discover the next block over had even scarier monsters.

thanks for the heads up, i am already aware of that and will take my time.

Ulysses 31

Quick chapter 5 question :

I could accept the mission even tough I appear to be severely under leveled.

I
destroyed
2 out of 3
anti air thingy
, but the third is under the guard of lvl 20 ennemies (My team is 16/17).

I'm getting my ass kicked, and since I accepted a Story mission, I cannot accept other mini team missions lo level up. Any tip ?

Grind a few more lvls, optimize your arts/skills

Gotchaye

Well Omnicient already linked it, but yes, I've written up some incomplete stuff on damage calculations here. Enemies don't have any 'defense,' instead their appendages reduce(or increase, for weak points) damage by a certain percentage based on that appendage's 'toughness rank,' and then their elemental resistances reduce/increase the damage they take further. Appendage toughness and resistances apply before the additive stuff in my equations, I think, and critical hit damage bonuses probably apply before those.

Thanks, that helps a lot. So regarding Arts damage - you're saying that Hit Scaling is applying only to the character's attack stat and that you just get 100% of the weapon's damage per hit. Then there won't be as much of a difference between melee and ranged arts as I thought, but the higher damage of melee weapons still counts for a lot. That right?

Switch to the base map, with nothing but the landscape on it, and try to figure out a path you can take. I had the same problem on Saturday and just found a way to jump around them on rocks and shit.

Also, so long as you're not getting mobbed by like 4 or 5 guys you can handle enemies 3 levels above you.

You can kill level 20 enemies at 16/17. Are you using soul voice and combos effectively?

I'd say you're at the recommended level actually.

Grind a few more lvls, optimize your arts/skills

But, there are also lvl 30 big thingy, and ennemies gang up on me :(

I'll try to level up once or twice...

Soul voice : is in when some skill are highlighted ?
Combos : you mean make an enemy fall, and use a skill with a fall bonus ?

Squishy3

There's also an aerial camera you can use by pressing R+up (might be down, don't remember) to help you figure out how to get to where you want to go. But yeah, there's a lot of dodging enemies significantly more powerful than you in this game.

Kinsei

Banned

Soul voice : is in when some skill are highlighted ?
Combos : you mean make an enemy fall, and use a skill with a fall bonus ?

Yeah that's soul voice and combos.

There's also an aerial camera you can use by pressing R+up (might be down, don't remember) to help you figure out how to get to where you want to go. But yeah, there's a lot of dodging enemies significantly more powerful than you in this game.

I was also wondering this : so this is normal to encounter big hostile ennemies in story missions like this ? Not necessarily a sign you are underleveled ?

Squishy3

I was also wondering this : so this is normal to encounter big hostile ennemies in story missions like this ? Not necessarily a sign you are underleveled ?
Yeah, you'll typically be running past or avoiding them. You can typically always challenge things a few levels higher than you, but not if it's a group of enemies. That's a good way to die.

Kyzon

How do you check how much revenue you'll make within a return? And, how often are returns?

Edit: Nvm, mission complete?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Oh it's normal. Them bastards are everywhere. You gotta stay on your toes, especially at night. Nighttime is when all the really scary monsters come out, while you're at a lower level--basically anything pre-skell--be sure to always use the BLADE way-stations to set the time of day to, well, daytime unless the quest requires you to be out at night or there isn't one around.

How do you check how much revenue you'll make within a return? And, how often are returns?

Returns are every half hour. I believe you can check them when you tap a node and go to change the node type, it should be at the bottom of the gamepad screen.

Keep in mind that the arts received from affinity missions, which are beastly as fuck, might play into building a custom class. I'd not only look at the standard arts, but check into the affinity arts when doing this as a lot of those are pretty interesting.

Yep, keeping that in mind. One is called seventh edge which is useful for building TP. I'll also be replacing my weapon skill to another one since the tp it built was minimal and it had a really annoying sliding maneuver.

I'll consider getting another ranged weapon if I see one that has a weapon skill that builds a decent amount of TP with one art.

If anyone is doing a class and has a ranged weapon with a specific ranged/yellow art that builds decent TP please do tell.

Kyzon

Oh it's normal. Them bastards are everywhere. You gotta stay on your toes, especially at night. Nighttime is when all the really scary monsters come out, while you're at a lower level--basically anything pre-skell--be sure to always use the BLADE way-stations to set the time of day to, well, daytime unless the quest requires you to be out at night or there isn't one around.

Returns are every half hour. I believe you can check them when you tap a node and go to change the node type, it should be at the bottom of the gamepad screen.

Thanks, just figured that out as it happened.

Chaos17

This game is amazing but some of the missions are complete bullshit. If I'm supposed to acquire collectibles and items, the game should provide me with SOME kind of hint regarding its whereabouts. Saying, "it's in Oblivia" is a fucking joke considering how massive these continents are. It's literally like looking for a needle in a haystack.

I'm a very independent person, so having to go on the internet to find out the location of 3 beagflea squashes really pisses me off. You should never, ever have to go outside of the game to figure how to make progress in said game.

Most of the other things I had questions about were in the e-manual. Obviously, something like the location of a collectible wouldn't be, which is why the game should have just had the follow ball show you at least the general area where the collectible is located.

This kind of bullshit takes this game from being a 10/10 and firmly puts it in the 8/10 category for me, so far anyway. I don't mind fetch quests, but when the world is as big as Mira, SOME kind of guidance is a requirement.

Yeah, I understand your pain, fortunaly CAWWWW made this : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1g0YR4M8RAHiRhCbAvV4tjXXHLEhRMrARzZMYAUGmyZ4/pub#

If we could tie it one day to an iterractive map, it would be cool. But it's already a god damn awsome job.
The prima guide is helping a bit with the items, though we should mix it with CAWWW spread sheet :)

Vena

This game is amazing but some of the missions are complete bullshit. If I'm supposed to acquire collectibles and items, the game should provide me with SOME kind of hint regarding its whereabouts. Saying, "it's in Oblivia" is a fucking joke considering how massive these continents are. It's literally like looking for a needle in a haystack.

I'm a very independent person, so having to go on the internet to find out the location of 3 beagflea squashes really pisses me off. You should never, ever have to go outside of the game to figure how to make progress in said game.

Most of the other things I had questions about were in the e-manual. Obviously, something like the location of a collectible wouldn't be, which is why the game should have just had the follow ball show you at least the general area where the collectible is located.

This kind of bullshit takes this game from being a 10/10 and firmly puts it in the 8/10 category for me, so far anyway. I don't mind fetch quests, but when the world is as big as Mira, SOME kind of guidance is a requirement.

Some quests will actually tell you if you talk to the giver again after taking the quest. Initially they'll be like find me X, but if you talk to them again they'll say something like "I've seen it around Y" where Y is usually a landmark of some sort.

Regarding gear, does beam/elemental stuff have advantages over regular weapons? They always have lower damage on the stat screen so I don't bother with them.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Im surprised at how low elma's affinity with me is, I should have atleast 1 heart right now, I mean I'm almost there but still, maybe it's because I accidentally picked elma's class and so we aren't getting as many soul voices with eachother as we use to.

Yeah, I understand your pain, fortunaly CAWWWW made this : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1g0YR4M8RAHiRhCbAvV4tjXXHLEhRMrARzZMYAUGmyZ4/pub#

If we could tie it one day to an iterractive map, it would be cool. But it's already a god damn awsome job.
The prima guide is helping a bit with the items, though we should mix it with CAWWW spread sheet :)

Yeah, I appreciate this. I just wish I didn't have to use it. When I play games, I don't want to depend on external factors to figure out how to progress in a game. It really bothers me that I don't really have a choice when playing XCX.

Some quests will actually tell you if you talk to the giver again after taking the quest. Initially they'll be like find me X, but if you talk to them again they'll say something like "I've seen it around Y" where Y is usually a landmark of some sort.

Thanks. I didn't know this, but I'll try this in the future. Hopefully I can rely on the clients' hints instead of needing to get advice from the internet.

Dineren

Banned
Regarding gear, does beam/elemental stuff have advantages over regular weapons? They always have lower damage on the stat screen so I don't bother with them.

There are enemies that are weak or strong against certain weapon types and there are arts that can decrease their resistance against them as well.

Zomba13

So I got my Skell earlier today and it's great. I just love jumping around and "skyriming" my way up mountains. Can't wait till I can fly.

I've not long finished Chapter 7 and one level away from starting Chapter 8. I kind of wish the story missions were just a series without having to do "side" stuff like certain affinity missions or survey x% of an area. I want to know more of the story and advance the plot but every mission I need to take an hour or so and do side stuff. I kinda miss how it was in Xenoblade where you just go from point to point. I mean, I understand why it's here I'd just prefer if I could do that stuff when I wanted to and do story when I want to like other Openworld games. I don't need to be forced to do side stuff here.

I really do think this game nails the openworld stuff. There are huge areas to explore and after ~30 hours you get upgraded movement to get around faster which you appreciate after all that time on foot (though you do move very fast on foot when sprinting). There is a lot of variety in the locations and it really feels like a planet. Most openworld games end up feeling samey due to the lack of variation. Fallout games are all wasteland and even though Fallout 4 does mix it up very slightly with one or two other places it's still the one environment. The Witcher 3 looks fantastic but really it's just fields, city, Nordic islands, villages. Here there is desert, plains, jungle, (I assume snow and laval but not got there yet) and they look vastly different from each other and there are even visual differences between different parts of the same zone. Plus the stuff with sidequests. You have the fully voiced Affinity Missions that give more character development, the non-voiced Normal Missions that contain some boring fetch quest stuff but also some really interesting stuff and all the stuff in the world like probe points, salvage thingies, viewpoints/landmarks etc. It even has a pretty good management thingie with the probes and linking them etc. If this was any other dev I'd feel like that would be full of Micro-transactions for better probes.

I'm loving this so far. Not quite as into the story as I was with Xenoblade but I think it's because one of the early twists is just making me question things too much that the game just won't answer. Plus Xenoblade's story was one that had real drive. It started as a revenge story and I loved that and then it just got more and more interesting until right at the end where it became a standard JRPG ending pretty much. Here I just feel like the characters are just waiting around until they get told to go somewhere. Like they aren't being proactive.

ivysaur12

Banned
I've been meaning to ask - where do you actually check this?

Under Intel, there's a list of all of the indigens and how many people have beaten them if you click on the individual indigen.

haha now you're in on this too!

both NA and EU seem to be approaching Japan's total rather quickly

Two days ago when I checked, NA was at 83k. Would be cool if it did 100k in its first week, though I'd assume that whatever the number there is, there are some WiiUs that just aren't connected to the internet.

Fandangox

Thanks. I didn't know this, but I'll try this in the future. Hopefully I can rely on the clients' hints instead of needing to get advice from the internet.

Its mixed. So far all the ones I have taken do have the NPC (or another one related to them) telling me where it is, but while some work (the lady stranded with her skell on oblivia) some NPCs don't give you the accurate location, like Howard the chopper guy.

Vena

Right. I think I've had some quests outright just not tell me but, for instance, I had a rescue OP in Noctilum to repair a chopper. The guy asked me to find him an EM Generator and, initially, he didn't say where other than that its in Noctilum... great. It would take me hours to comb over the entire map.

Then he said, after talking to him again, "Around Giant's Nail." Oh okay.

For the Skell License, I found out where to find the bullshit fetch items by going to division and talking to the people there (also had most of them already in my inventory for exploring, which means you can look at the item dictionary and see where it came from).

I love this game so much! I'm not even taking those missions at the computer, just kizuna quests and question mark missions and they're very good.

Chaos17

I love this game so much! I'm not even taking those missions at the computer, just kizuna quests and question mark missions and they're very good.

You should take a look sometime at the Blade quest board.
Some normal quests are in there too.

Here I just feel like the characters are just waiting around until they get told to go somewhere. Like they aren't being proactive.

That's how military works, you don't go investigate yourself until your boss tell you so and Blade are the military and you're just a recruit :)

You should take a look sometime at the Blade quest board.
Some normal quests are in there too.
But many of those are "get x" and they only give you a t-shirt. Some are ok but I'm happy that I'm not seeing billions of question marks like in Xenoblade, it's really up to you what mission suits your style.

Ostinatto

Im 30 hours in and i didn't know i could level up Arts and Skills, also i just had my first Overdrive (cuz i pressed the wrong button).

Thanks for telling me Game.

Chaos17

But many of those are "get x" and they only give you a t-shirt. Some are ok but I'm happy that I'm not seeing billions of question marks like in Xenoblade, it's really up to you what mission suits your style.

Those are basic quests, I'm talking about normal quests (green icons) and even quests that let you unlock a new companions. Yes, there some hidden quests in that board, lol.
Some greens icons quests can let you advance the affinity chart/tree too, not only the red mark quests.

Forgot to look it up; are there missable or timed missions like in Xenoblade? Or branching choice ones?

Yup for branching choices.

Thanks, that helps a lot. So regarding Arts damage - you're saying that Hit Scaling is applying only to the character's attack stat and that you just get 100% of the weapon's damage per hit. Then there won't be as much of a difference between melee and ranged arts as I thought, but the higher damage of melee weapons still counts for a lot. That right?
The multiplier listed in the art descriptions is only applied to your character's stats, yes. The only way you can modify the input from your weapon is with the Weapon Attack Up augments, or raising/lowering its stability. While melee weapons having higher stats does give them a bit of an advantage, most ranged weapon arts hit several times, so there's sort of a balance.

Golnei

You should still flip through them once in a while - for the gathering quests, at least, you might have fulfilled the conditions already, so you lose nothing from selecting and autocompleting them.

Under Intel, there's a list of all of the indigens and how many people have beaten them if you click on the individual indigen.

Two days ago when I checked, NA was at 83k. Would be cool if it did 100k in its first week, though I'd assume that whatever the number there is, there are some WiiUs that just aren't connected to the internet.

assuming that Famitsu's digital numbers are accurate, and that first week physical sales are in the same proportion as digital sales (probably not, but eh), the game sold 107469 copies in its first week (5 days), while that number was sitting at 60690 about 4.5 days in

yeah we're way ahead of that, granted I'm going to assume NA has a higher connection rate (maybe a poor assumption cause lol American internet but I think it's reasonable)

You should still flip through them once in a while - for the gathering quests, at least, you might have fulfilled the conditions already, so you lose nothing from selecting and autocompleting them.
I do that sometimes. The only thing I don't understand and can't find in the manual is that glowing icon on the gamepad thar looks like coins. I rescued my division's stuff at the Blade computer but still that icon glows.

105.Will

I really hope Lin eats Tatsu at the end of the game.I don't even dislike tatsu, i just think it'd be such an absurd heel turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom