• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

With how important the appendage system seems to be to get specific rare items to drop, they sure didn't do a good job of making targeting appendages easy. Using only your proximity to the enemy and some camerawork until you get the lock-on with quick reflexes is super wonky.

If you can pull it off, it's pretty satisfying, though. After unsuccessfully trying to get Honey Oil to drop from a Copper Cinicula, I managed to do it the first time by breaking the head -> which gives access to the horn -> which gives access to the glowing weak point -> which unlocks a guaranteed(?) honey oil drop. Aside from targeting woes, just focusing all the fire on those appendages so the monster's total HP wouldn't give out beforehand was the hardest part.

whew!

lol this game

fucking a

fell into a spot I can't escape from, and i can't fast travel out because a low level enemy is still aggroed. so I gotta wait here until he kills me which is gonna take a million ages and he won't deaggro.

lol this game

fucking a

fell into a spot I can't escape from, and i can't fast travel out because a low level enemy is still aggroed. so I gotta wait here until he kills me which is gonna take a million ages and he won't deaggro.
Press start to open battle menu, than x until you get to emergency escape

Same thing happened to me a while back

Man, I just lost over an hour of game time because at some point I lost connection to the server and went back to the main menu to try to reconnect. Apparently the game doesn't save when you quit (and didn't even warn me? Unless I zoned out...)? So used to games auto saving nowadays I didn't even think it wouldn't. Lesson learned I guess.

Myriadis

I slowly get the hang behind the battle system and what the SP (the green bar) has to do with reviving characters, and the strategic drawbacks of using advanced techniques.
Now it feels kinda overwhelming to have to pick the right art when the others tell you to while taking care that your partys HP is still good and having to watch out for that B-Button QTE. It's overwhelming to say at least.

But I love it. Currently stuck at the boss in the forest area who is about lv. 16 and it's always a close call. I was actually surprised how big that area is - I thought that the section on the south was in fact the entire forest area, then I scrolled up and see an even more massive area. That game is incredibly huge.

It also took me some time that you can warp to any unlocked fast travel place from any place by that button on the top left, which is the world map.

Alrus

They all do that. We were talking about it on the other page.

I missed that, this thread moves way too fast :p That's pretty neat, will have to remember to talk to NPCs when they give me that kind of quest then.

oh sweet thanks. Thankfully I eventually found a spot to escape from.

Anyone know where Devil's Colony is on Oblivia? Trying to do one of the missions they say this is where to go.

It's very close to the place where you talked to the tiny alien dudes at the begining of Chapter 5. It's a cave (and it's super annoying to go through by the way) on your right when you go down the slope that leads to where they were.

massoluk

Banned
With how important the appendage system seems to be to get specific rare items to drop, they sure didn't do a good job of making targeting appendages easy. Using only your proximity to the enemy and some camerawork until you get the lock-on with quick reflexes is super wonky.

If you can pull it off, it's pretty satisfying, though. After unsuccessfully trying to get Honey Oil to drop from a Copper Cinicula, I managed to do it the first time by breaking the head -> which gives access to the horn -> which gives access to the glowing weak point -> which unlocks a guaranteed(?) honey oil drop. Aside from targeting woes, just focusing all the fire on those appendages so the monster's total HP wouldn't give out beforehand was the hardest part.

whew!

Oh shit, I didn't know this. I just usually target the limbs.

I tried to focus at the orange cat but I feel it's too powerful for me. Its hits deal a lot of damage and then the minions kill me. Then, i tried to kill the minions and while I succeeded, he killed me as he was full health while I was injured.

Edit: Of course, I could also grind, but I feel I'm doing something wrong as I'm pretty much at a right level for this chapter.

mobs won't respawn if you clear all 4 in a single battle & retried... i assume it's the same thing with either the two unique characters too...

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I just figured out how to upgrade arts 17 hrs in...why is there no button context menu? Might've turned it off?

No, they just don't explain anything in this game and expect that most people played the first game.

Riki

I just figured out how to upgrade arts 17 hrs in...why is there no button context menu? Might've turned it off?
Probably. It tells you how to do it at your first Tyrant battle and it's simple. Do you have some menu functions turned off?

finalflame

Because the game tells you how to upgrade Arts during your very first Tyrant battle which is a mandatory part of the early game. Don't skip over tutorials then be surprised later that you missed something?

Alrus

No, they just don't explain anything in this game and expect that most people played the first game.

Considering the menus and systems have almost nothing in common with the first game, I doubt that. I guess they expected people to read the manual for most stuff.

But they actually tell you how to upgrade your arts very early on when you fight your first Tyrant.

I missed that, this thread moves way too fast :p That's pretty neat, will have to remember to talk to NPCs when they give me that kind of quest then.

It's very close to the place where you talked to the tiny alien dudes at the begining of Chapter 5. It's a cave (and it's super annoying to go through by the way) on your right when you go down the slope that leads to where they were.

jesus I can't remember where that was haha. do you have some landmark/probe nearby's name?

edit: wait found it nvm.

JCX

Considering the menus and systems have almost nothing in common with the first game, I doubt that. I guess they expected people to read the manual for most stuff.

But they actually tell you how to upgrade your arts very early on when you fight your first Tyrant.

I got pretty far in Xenoblade without ever upgrading my artes. Felt so dumb.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Admit it, who else is humming the NLA night theme at work?

Uh, uh, uh. Yea, yea, Yeeaa! Cmon.

boiled goose

good with gravy
In addition to normal missions, they should have added blade training missions.

Upgrade a skill.
Make augment
Add augment
Add gear upgrade
Change class

Etc.

They do it for some things like changing probes but not everything.

GGzpl9Z.jpg

0Iwr5EI.jpg

didnt know the next Metroid will have mechs(look at the head)

Kyzon

I've finally reached overwhelmed. A skell's arts are equipped correct? How do you know what art you'll have before you buy a part?

Ok now there has to be a better way to get beagflea squashes.

Can I buy them?

Where is there a spot I don't have to travel through winding caves to fucking get this item. It's for the skell license.

DangerMan

Banned
Anyone know if the songs from the first two trailers from before the game was named are actually in the game? Really liked those two and don't think I've heard them in the game yet.

NeoRausch

Dude just set aside a few minutes and read the manual from the menu. Go through to the map diagram, segment diagram section. It explains the icons and what they mean. I didn't look at it at first and was pretty confused on what was on the Gamepad. It's actually very important for knowing probe placement, Fast Travel, treasure locations, tryants, Division awards, etc and etc.

Huh, thanks! Gotta read up on that manual. Figured some stuff out on my own now

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

whew!

Yea, could have been easily fixed too. If locked-on the right stick should act as a way to switch between appendages to fixate. Unlock with L-bumper to resume free camera control. (rather than just disengaging lock with any movement of the R-stick currently.)

Instead, you get a lock-on camera that is near garbage(especially taking on any foe that is taller than you.). You can't even unlock with the L-bumper, the same button used to engage lock-on?? Amateur hour. Oh and swapping targets with R-bumper is a mess! Hold the bumper and use A/Y to switch targets, but only if the game feels like it? You REALLY need to have the targets framed perfectly on screen to switch reliably. XBC worked MUCH better(but lacks appendage system).

Baliis

Can I buy them?

Where is there a spot I don't have to travel through winding caves to fucking get this item. It's for the skell license.

I forget exactly what nav point it is but,
there's one in the southeast that you can jump off the western cliff onto the beach and there's a cave there by some passive 41ish crabs that has like 30 gathering things in it. They can spawn in there and if you don't get enough, just fast travel back to the nav point and it will respawn everything. Takes like 30 seconds

El Odio

Banned
I truly sympathize with all those posts yesterday from people at work and unable to play. I'm jonesing hard for some X at work today. Black tar refuses to get outta my head.

didnt know the next Metroid will have mechs(look at the head)

You've unwittingly just sold me on the idea of Monolith Soft making a JRPG set in the Metroid Universe. Nintendo say they say they want to flesh out the galactic federation? There's the perfect chance! I'd reckon it'd make better sales than Xeno too...

Qurupeke

Can I buy them?

Is this the item near the lake? If so, keep transporting to the Nopon caravan there. The place you arrive has 5-6 of them and every time you do that they reappear. I gathered them in like 4-5 minutes.

okita

I do that sometimes. The only thing I don't understand and can't find in the manual is that glowing icon on the gamepad thar looks like coins. I rescued my division's stuff at the Blade computer but still that icon glows.

Problably is your scout reward , someone used your character to scout , get it on the squad panel

Zomba13

So, is the game good?

Very good. There are a fair amount of annoying things and odd design choices but when you get over them it's really good. The story so far doesn't seem too hot (as of chapter 7) but I think it nails the whole open world western RPG thing.

If it matters I'm enjoying this a lot more than Fallout 4 and I loved Fallout 3 and Skyrim.

Gurrry

I just got my copy. I put the disc in and downloaded a small update. Is this the only update i need?

I thought it was 10 gb?

sora87

Really? What's the point in a
electric storm
that kills you while you're trying to do a mission :s this game man

zroid

Banned
I just got my copy. I put the disc in and downloaded a small update. Is this the only update i need?

I thought it was 10 gb?

nah that's different

the 10GB is optional and you have to download it from th eShop yourself. at the very least you should get the ~2GB basic pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom