• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vecks

just out of curiosity: how many people here are regularly playing the game on the gamepad?

also, my question from before didn't get an answer: the "equip strongest gear" option seems kinda busted, it regularly suggests weaker gear than i have equipped. what's up with that?

I'm just playing on the gamepad since I like having the map around. I also use off-tv play alot.

As for your question, I've never used "equip strongest gear." So I can't offer a proper answer. But it's hard to say because it's not so simple to determine what is your strongest gear. First of all, gear has rarities depending on the number of passives on it. So a weaker gear with better passives might be considered better. You can get a rough idea about the value of the passives by the sell value. Of course, augments can factor into that. If you've got a gear with a slot, that may be better if you put an augment in.

Secondly, there's also resistances and type to consider. Armor has different resistances and if an armor has less defense but better values for resistance, perhaps that will change what the game considers better. Same thing with weapons. The main attack value isn't all there is. Weapons that are weaker in attack value may have faster cooldown to make up for it or more ammo per round.

Also linking my sheet again because it's color-coded and I'm proud of that.
Still missing some online stuff and equipment, and everything in English :(
Well, you know, it's only been in there since the OT went up :p

desu

Also fights with Skells are kind of weird. Anyone knows if your character skills apply to Skells as well?

Just did the chapter 10 boss but my stupid party members lost their Skell which is pretty damn annoying, overall the fight was just uhm .... weird. Not fun and just cumbersome, so far Skells are awesome, fighting with them however is not. Probably not gonna save and redo chapter 10 a few times to get a better hang of them.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
also, my question from before didn't get an answer: the "equip strongest gear" option seems kinda busted, it regularly suggests weaker gear than i have equipped. what's up with that?

It just prioritizes the Def. stat over anything else for armor. Considering so many pieces of armor and gear come with pre-attached augments that may boost their capabilities well beyond the 'base stats', the game ONLY seems interested in raising that single DEF value. Thus you may often lose a huge assortment of stat boosts if it means equipping something that gives just 1 extra point in overall DEF.

Basically, its fine for casual play really. Many players need not concern over micro-managing equipment just progressing against enemies of your level.

Hardcore players will most likely be tinkering, upgrading augments, and whatnot anyway, wherein the auto-equip option is pointless to them anyway.

Alrus

How does the research probes work? Been trying to complete the "New Rival?" affinity mission but haven't been able to figure the research thing out.

If placed on a probe location with high revenue rating and scening viewpoints/secret location (if there's one next to a probe location it'll show up as "-/number" under the rest of the ratings, it'll give you quite a nice amount of cash. Normally if you do the mandatory probe quest it's explained to you and that probe should give you enough money iirc.

Having a really hard time getting into this game. I'm in chapter 4 now just kind of running around doing the side quests. Every session I've played has gone about 30 mins before just getting kind of bored.

Will give it a few more tries and hopefully it'll hook me.
This is what I'm afraid of.
I wanna get this but I don't need a part time job just to play this.

Love the Fashion Blade and would probably have been the best if there was more customization on character creation.

WVW69ipIzBAr4nVPQT

Vecks

How does the research probes work? Been trying to complete the "New Rival?" affinity mission but haven't been able to figure the research thing out.

Not sure what you mean. Research probes increase the amount of money you get from frontiernav. Have you changed probes yet? If you haven't, just select a probe on your map, change it to a research probe, and after a certain period of time (supposedly a day cycle of 24 minutes), you're automatically awarded a certain amount of money.

There is a quest from an NPC that kind of explains what to do about probes.

If placed on a probe location with high revenue rating and scening viewpoints/secret location (if there's one next to a probe location it'll show up as "-/number" under the rest of the ratings, it'll give you quite a nice amount of cash. Normally if you do the mandatory probe quest it's explained to you and that probe should give you enough money iirc.

Do I have to find the viewpoints/ secret locations first before it will work?

Alrus

Do I have to find the viewpoints/ secret locations first before it will work?

Yes, they're usually not too hard to find but some may require dodging high lvl monsters. The easiest one being "Rock Cave" (I forgot the exact location and I'm not playing right now) because there's a quest (regarding probes) that leads you to it. (quest is mandatory to advance the story so you can't really miss it)

BY2K

Membero Americo
Not even five minutes in NLA and already I catch the government lying... great.

Things never change.

Lingitiz

This is what I'm afraid of.
I wanna get this but I don't need a part time job just to play this.
The scale and length of the game isn't a huge problem to me, but I'm just not feeling that pull yet that makes me want to invest possibly over 100 hours into this quite yet.

daydream

Banned
I'm just playing on the gamepad since I like having the map around. I also use off-tv play alot.

As for your question, I've never used "equip strongest gear." So I can't offer a proper answer. But it's hard to say because it's not so simple to determine what is your strongest gear. First of all, gear has rarities depending on the number of passives on it. So a weaker gear with better passives might be considered better. You can get a rough idea about the value of the passives by the sell value. Of course, augments can factor into that. If you've got a gear with a slot, that may be better if you put an augment in.

Secondly, there's also resistances and type to consider. Armor has different resistances and if an armor has less defense but better values for resistance, perhaps that will change what the game considers better. Same thing with weapons. The main attack value isn't all there is. Weapons that are weaker in attack value may have faster cooldown to make up for it or more ammo per round.

i've had cases where the new build it was suggesting literally only offered a decrease in stats with no increases in any category. it was weird.

anyway, to answer my own question since most people seem to be playing on tv - i think the game plays totally fine on just the gamepad, too, so i do that pretty often. as for the control method, i pretty much exclusively use the gamepad to control wiiu games and it's no different here.

It just prioritizes the Def. stat over anything else for armor. Considering so many pieces of armor and gear come with pre-attached augments that may boost their capabilities well beyond the 'base stats', the game ONLY seems interested in raising that single DEF value. Thus you may often lose a huge assortment of stat boosts if it means equipping something that gives just 1 extra point in overall DEF.

Basically, its fine for casual play really. Many players need not concern over micro-managing equipment just progressing against enemies of your level.

Hardcore players will most likely be tinkering, upgrading augments, and whatnot anyway, wherein the auto-equip option is pointless to them anyway.

hm makes sense, thanks

Is it not possible to play on TV (with the gamepad on map) and have the audio fed to the Gamepad so I can plug in headphones?

sadly no (see op). they should patch that in

Just finished Chapter 5.

I suspected something like that was going on because of something the leader guy said about "if the lifehold were gone, we wouldn't be here." That led me to believe their real bodies were in the lifehold and also kind of explained why everyone has such weird eyes.

---

I'm still not sure if I should just focus on 3-4 characters and keep progressing through the story or try to level up some of the other characters. I'm like lvl20 and others are lvl12-14 (besides Elma and Lin). :( Realllly wish everyone gained exp together, sigh.

Anyone know where the hell Coil Tree Cape is in Noctilum? I need to kill sludge caecuses there but I have no idea where it is and the wiki literally just shows a picture of Noctilum and says that's where Coil Tree Cape is.

Mesa fortress south/southwestern area of Oblivia.

Thanks. Also for anyone curious, there's another good spot.

In NW of Primordia, a fast travel point called Fallshorn Isle. It's the hexagon NW of FN Site 106 (You can fast travel to the specific spot though). You spawn, turn around and jump down the mountain towards the river. There you will find three non-aggro crabs/forfex level 26-27. They're fairly easy to beat and give decent EXP if you're a few levels below. I got to level 25 fast with these, you just have to fast travel back over and over again and jump down to kill the three.

Finally reached level 25. This means I can outfit my entire team in cool armor. About time too. Not buying the armor till I can get 2/4 AMs to level 5. Then I'll probably walk around to find any other AM I can unlock atm.

zroid

Banned
How do you check what the active squad missions are?

Those symbols in the corner are indecipherable to me. :lol

Not_Mario

Neo Member
Having a really hard time getting into this game. I'm in chapter 4 now just kind of running around doing the side quests. Every session I've played has gone about 30 mins before just getting kind of bored.

I recommend playing until at least chapter 5 and 6. That's where I'm at and it feels like the story is starting to pick up. But if you don't enjoy running around and sightseeing the game might not be for you.

Holy crap, going to the destination of the first life pod wreckage in chap 4 and went by the giant thing in the water. Thought it was a set piece. Literally kinda jumped.

Gurrry

Installing the updates now and wow. Started at 1 hr now its going up to 3 hrs and higher. Im getting worried that this install is failing.

This is how mh3u basically broke my wiiu

What do i do if this install gets hung up and never ends?

Beats

Does anyone know where the Mamapon is in the affinity quest BFFs? The npcs are telling me she's "in the forest somewhere", but that's it lol. :<

Well I went and did something else but I did find her. I was checking the Missions menu for something else and apparently the game gave me a mission that was separate from the main objective of the affinity mission that I had to manually accept.

gconsole

I start playing this game expected not to like it due to several reviews + being a big fan of first one (as this game is too far apart from original game) , end up having to stop myself from playing it as i need to work tmr. This is surprising addicted despite the poor presentation and weird story telling. Gameplay wise it is a lot better than first one.

Thanks. Also for anyone curious, there's another good spot.

In NW of Primordia, a fast travel point called Fallshorn Isle. It's the hexagon NW of FN Site 106 (You can fast travel to the specific spot though). You spawn, turn around and jump down the mountain towards the river. There you will find three non-aggro crabs/forfex level 26-27. They're fairly easy to beat and give decent EXP if you're a few levels below. I got to level 25 fast with these, you just have to fast travel back over and over again and jump down to kill the three.

Finally reached level 25. This means I can outfit my entire team in cool armor. About time too. Not buying the armor till I can get 2/4 AMs to level 5. Then I'll probably walk around to find any other AM I can unlock atm.

Yeah it seems it's best to update the AM manufacturer to level 5 before buying complete sets because they then come with a lot of high skills.

Just beat chapter 5

wtf that twist. I guess that makes the pupil choices in the character make more sense lol, oh and a few other things.

Also the town got bigger! Didn't think that was possible lol

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is there any way to increase the camera panning speed while in a cave? It's killing me trying to target guys in caves.

Also, is there any other way to select limbs to target then running around an enemy? It's really hard to target limbs on the smaller robots.

Dragoshi1

Ch5 boss kicked my ass.

I have the least amount of HP among my party, Lin is a goddamn Tank with 4000+ HP, and Elma has 1800+. I'm hovering at 1400+ at Lv19.

And I took Aggro off of Lin cuz that shit was getting ANNOYING. She was aggroing Lv50's for crying out loud!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom