• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

sora87

There's this giant tree trunk that you have to walk on, it takes you upward. Forget the area name exactly but I can try to check in a few.

Ah yes, finished it now, good lord that was an ordeal lol. Not looking forward to some of these later affinity fetch quests if that's anything to go by

finalflame

Man, it's getting really frustrating needing to get somewhere for a quest and I can't get there because I run into cliffs which I can't get over. And the minimap + FrontierNav maps are useless. Has anyone found a good way to manage this? I'm in Noctilum right now trying to progress my Chapter 4 quest but just can't find how to get where the game wants me to go and I've been pointlessly running around for 20 minutes.

Been playing this off and on for several days now. Fantastic world, has that great, illusive quality that old Assassin's Creed and Far Cry 3 had where just exploring the world is fun.

For better or worse, I'm basically playing this alongside the original on 3DS. Still trying to understand the intricacies of X's battle system comparatively. Does Aggro still play a part in battles? Break/topple/stun?

I'm starting to understand the Battle Voice thing, and love how it ties together the feel of being a unit, but man do I miss my heal skills.

Reposting for new page.

random25

I did that. There's no positive about... "basic probe" thing so keep it this way eh?

One more thing, I did mining probe then how do I get my white comeities? Going to pick them on blue orbs around that place?

Well I can't abandon the quest but... I am lvl 15 and I am not high enough to go to... Oblivia. :/

I don't know about comeities, sadly. Actually, once I chose option A after taking the cables, the affinity quest ends right there lol.

vareon

GRRQfXM.jpg

I love this game.

Jims

Man, it's getting really frustrating needing to get somewhere for a quest and I can't get there because I run into cliffs which I can't get over. And the minimap + FrontierNav maps are useless. Has anyone found a good way to manage this? I'm in Noctilum right now trying to progress my Chapter 4 quest but just can't find how to get where the game wants me to go and I've been pointlessly running around for 20 minutes.

If I'm just trying to navigate around geography, I usually tap on the top right button on the gamepad to get rid of all the FrontierNav symbols and see where all the bodies of water and stuff are instead. I usually find all the symbols distracting when I'm just trying to get to a specific point on the map. New data probe locations help too. Usually I end up just following along cliffs and lakes in one direction until I can finally loop around it. I remember that part makes you do a pretty significant detour to get around to it.

random25

The fuck guys

What's the difference between Potential up and Potential boost? Which is better for a melee character or a character that relies on TP arts?

Potential up increases the potential stat by the given points. Potential boost increase by percentage of your stat. In the long run, with high potential, Potential boost increases the stat more. Just experiment which augment gives the higher points increase.

JulianImp

If your skell dies, you have a chance to eject basically with the QTE, if you perfect it it doesn't eat an insurance use. As far as I can tell the AI always perfect ejects. No idea about fuel though, I've never come close to running out to see.

Each weapon you add should just art the art to your skill bar for it.

This thread's scrolling awfully fast, but I wanted to say that I had totaled my basic skell over three times before I gave it to another party member, and one time I screwed up while trying to stealth around level 50 enemies and she died I ended up having to pay the recovery fee for some reason.

I've been really digging the Mastermind class, with several effects that enhance my TP limit and a focus on keeping auras on others, group healing and abusing the two arts that deal a lot more damage if you have an aura on you (meanwhile, my character gets healed for 500 HP every time an aura is applied thanks to the enforcer's Buff Heal skill). All that that plus the TP aura that boosts ranged damage makes for a really natsy combo that dealt around 1K damage back when I started using it, and now that I'm level 30 it can deal a lot more.

Something I only recently realized is how TP actually worked. Before I was kind of puzzled at how some of my skills weren't abailable even when they weren't off of cooldown, but then I stumbled across the "TP Cost: 1000" description when I was leveling my arts up. The same thing happened with fashion gear and the way I was supposed to set augmentations, since the game didn't bother telling me how neither thing worked, and I thought the sub-menu screen was only for looking at your character model, since that's the only function it has while in the shop menu (I think).

By the way, I really like being able to jump around like a mountain goat to try and get into high places, so now that I've got a skell I'm even happier since you can go up practically anything if you keep mashing jump and finding the right slopes to step on. Another little trick I found is that you can always transform into vehicle mode as long as you've walked off a ledge, stall in the air for a split second with that and immediately cancel the transformation with jump to cover a nice extra bit of distance. It also looks to me like skells in vehicle mode can go up a couple steep slopes where you'd fall down if you tried to climb them while in biped mode.

Something I wanted to ask here is when you're given the ability to change the MC's physical appearance, and where that place is. For reference, I'm currently getting started with episode seven and am level 31.

up is flat raise, boost is percentage raise

one is % the other straight increase

I understand that one is just a number while the other is a percentage. But if you had to choose one vs the other which is better? I mean does the flat number end up higher? Does the boost percentage depend on your class/level if it's better?

Potential up increases the potential stat by the given points. Potential boost increase by percentage of your stat. In the long run, with high potential, Potential boost increases the stat more. Just experiment which augment gives the higher points increase.

Ah there we go. I guess I gotta see a screen to see stat increases. Is it an option in the store?

edit: and I just saw there's a potential listing in the bottom I feel like an idiot haha.

Teknoman

So we cant keep all the skills from the previous class? Upgraded to Enforcer, but I only see a few of my Drifter skills carried over?

Unless those skills that didnt carry over were tied to assault rifles?

Kyzon

So we cant keep all the skills from the previous class? Upgraded to Enforcer, but I only see a few of my Drifter skills carried over?

Once you fully max out a tree to the right you can keep that weapon on different classes, and also use that weapon's arts.

Arts are weapon specific.

Dineren

Banned

I think it requires using the same weapon type to carry over the skills.

so Gaf is their a Mage class?
couldnt do that in the first one cause Monado blade
also how many classes
working on gathering info before i play it on Christmas

also how many classes

There are three basic classes and six advanced classes. I guess the most mage like would be the Mastermind class, which largely focuses on support.

That said, don't expect anything as magey as Melia from the first Xenoblade

Before I dive in for another few hours, I just want to say that right from the beginning I found the music to be unique and varied and I've really been enjoying it.

I can totally understand why it's a divisive topic, but personally, I think it's fantastic. It suits the game better than I expected it to.

Though I got the SE with the 10-song USB, I'd love to have the entire soundtrack.

Teknoman

Before I dive in for another few hours, I just want to say that right from the beginning I found the music to be unique and varied and I've really been enjoying it.

I can totally understand why it's a divisive topic, but personally, I think it's fantastic. It suits the game better than I expected it to.

Though I got the SE with the 10-song USB, I'd love to have the entire soundtrack.

Same here. It actually kinda has the same effect that Persona 3 had on me. Its unique to the point where you have to listen to it multiple times to really get it.

Also thanks for the heads up on weaponry.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Just got my smell license. Only took like 45 minutes, since I instantly "completed" 4/8 upon accepting the mission. Only ones I had to do were fetch the map, and the kill quests.

Evilkazz

Banned
Is anyone else like me just not using augments?

I kind of forgot about the system until recently but I dont really have any desire to mess with it. Just seems like another thing to continuously worry about (change augments every time you change weapons or armor) No thanks.

But will I need to use the system in the later stages of the game? I'm around Chapter 10 and have done okay.

JulianImp

Yardley's quests. Pay attention to his model.

I only wish there was an easy way to look characters up, since I don't think I remember who that characer could be.

The music sounds a lot like Kill La Kill to me, which is always good in my book.

finalflame

If I'm just trying to navigate around geography, I usually tap on the top right button on the gamepad to get rid of all the FrontierNav symbols and see where all the bodies of water and stuff are instead. I usually find all the symbols distracting when I'm just trying to get to a specific point on the map. New data probe locations help too. Usually I end up just following along cliffs and lakes in one direction until I can finally loop around it. I remember that part makes you do a pretty significant detour to get around to it.

Thanks -- getting rid of symbols helped and I've now met the fantastic
L.
Man, they sure did make you go a roundabout way of getting to that point, but guess topographically it makes sense.

Chaos17

I finally got to play Xenoblade Chronicles and I got up to 15 level but I am not even started on my Chapter 3... I was stuck doing Yardley's Scheme for that... 1 California sunset collectible item which I haven't found it...

I do not know how mining probe works when I am doing my first Lin Affinity quest. "The Repair Job" quest.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks and explore on!

Were you able to speak speak to Kristy ?
That npc will introduce you to probes.
If you did not see her green quest marjker yet (she is the the adminstrative area).
Dump Lyn affinity quest if you can.

Doing Krystie quests first will help you a lot for Lyn quests.

If Kyrstie isnt unloaked advance to chapter 4.
Doing chapter 4 first before Lyn quest will also lead you to a zone where Lyn item will drop.

Malus

Went to Oblivia to go kill some grexes for a story quest, end up climbing a cliff and finding a path leading to a ravine with a probe, leading to a monster nest with treasure, leading to a huge lake with another probe, and I end up completing the skell license quest by accident lol. I love this game.

And now I find this weird-ass thing called
No-dhor the Shadowcaster.

Dont fall into the Xenoblade Chronicles trap. You'll get burned out!
I actually think it might be ok this time around. Some of the affinity quest rules are frustrating (one at a time? Wtf?), but in general they're a lot less mind numbing than XB's. I'm pleasantly surprised with that so far.

What IS still annoying is wandering around looking for quests.

Chaos17

also how many classes

I would say the mage class is the enforcer branch tree, first branch of it lead to mage-healer.
Second branch to paladin (dps warrior with some healing skills).

Don't expect though to have a laser staff, lol
It will be gun and laser saber or knife.

Edit : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF2YzesZiBo

maxresdefault.jpg

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Ok, Ive been making alot of kick ass progress today, walked myself into oblivia where theres practically free probe areas everywhere, they throw 2 of them at you just by walking straight, I now have 19+% of primordia surveyed(would have some more but some level 39 grexes are blocking the way to a probe mine on both areas, i was stunned when i went to the other side and there was one right in the middle, son of a bitch) I also managed to collect two of the item I asked about yesterday while in this areas, and now.....I stumbled my way into noctilum.....this place is breathtaking.....

Kyne

I just ran out of the tower on my first mission to go put a probe and there's this thing called the tyrant that I have to defeat.

and like 30 feet to my left there's this humongo level 82 monster with a crown icon???

SalvaPot

I had no idea this game had Heart to Hearts.

For those as clueless as me, the first Heart to Heart for Elma is on the west gate below the elevator you arrived to the city in. You have to be there in the afternoon, and she will appear as a normal character AND REMEMBER you have to remove her from your active members team first, otherwise you won't find her.

Kind of sneaky.

foxuzamaki

It's probably the most hype-inducing reveal trailer I've personally seen live. I was so surprised and happy by what I saw. It ended up being not quite what I expected from my thoughts back then (not a bad thing necessarily, just different in how I thought the game would be). I was SO sure the guy at the end was Shulk or related to Shulk in some way, lol.

Right? man speculation was rampant back then, i also remember the thread of people apparently not knowing how xenoblade played like despite gaf's infatuation with it and making the biggest hissy fit about it.

Guys I'm trying to recruit murderess but her affinity quest isn't appearing. What gives?

I know it needs you to be a min level 22 and to have beaten chapter 5. I've done both of those. So where is the mission? Not seeing it in map.

foxuzamaki

For those as clueless as me, the first Heart to Heart for Elma is on the west gate below the elevator you arrived to the city in. You have to be there in the afternoon, and she will appear as a normal character AND REMEMBER you have to remove her from your active members team first, otherwise you won't find her.

Kind of sneaky.

heart to heart as in what it was in OG xenoblade and not a affinity mission?

Chaos17

Kind of sneaky.

O______o
o__________________o

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom