• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squishy3

I've finished chapter 6. The story is picking up, but it just has a cheap feel to it overall.
I think it balances the open world design/story progress better than Metal Gear did, which is probably the closest analogue to the way this story is laid out in regards to open world games. Since stuff like GTA etc. doesn't follow this formula.

The affinity missions are hit or miss, but some of them give you better insight to characters and their actions in the main story. The fact they're more involved than the typical basic quests that you get are nice too. The affinity quest where you follow Vandham around during his work day is really good.

Has anyone tried to play online Monster Hunter style?

Is this even possible?
It is, but I've not done it yet. When I checked after beating chapter 4 the mission I could select was a time attack against the boss.

Chapter 9 spoilers
really hope we can get Jiarg to join the party at some point since the dude is awesome. Since he uses a beam saber I imagine he'd be some variant of galactic knight

Made it to chapter 4 and Noctilum just goes out of its way to annoy me. Diosorientating place. I tried to get probes/landmarks nearer the objective but nope something will come along to KO me so it ended feeling repetitive and I was thinking to myself "should have just got Elma the level up she needed to do her affinity quest instead".

So I decided to explore Oblivia and reach Sylvalum instead.

I also really need to remember to unequip all whenever I'm planning a party. Plus there should be added hilarity of seeing them not wear any clothes when I re-recruit them.

You know there's a
landbridge
right? I did like no swimming. Just go to the northern most point in primordia and keep going north. It's not on the map, but it's there.
My issue was it was full of high level grunts so I decided to be safe and swim.

daydream

Banned
any tips for the 'welcome back, conner' quest? his comm device is lying next to some pretty strong monsters. i should probably leave this quest be for now, shouldn't i

Made it to chapter 4 and Noctilum just goes out of its way to annoy me. Diosorientating place. I tried to get probes/landmarks nearer the objective but nope something will come along to KO me so it ended feeling repetitive and I was thinking to myself "should have just got Elma the level up she needed to do her affinity quest instead".

So I decided to explore Oblivia and reach Sylvalum instead.

I also really need to remember to unequip all whenever I'm planning a party. Plus there should be added hilarity of seeing them not wear any clothes when I re-recruit them.

My issue was it was full of high level grunts so I decided to be safe and swim.
sylvalum will destroy you

On the topic of sylvalum: who the hell thought it'd be a good idea for spore weather to reduce visibility to near zero. Encountered that weather once and I couldn't see shit

Alrus

I noticed a streamer was able to check which monsters he needed to kill (or a hint) by highlighting the squad task thing at the bottom right, how do you do that? I thought those were supposed to be a complete crapshoot you were supposed to stumble upon and share location to your squad mates (which I don't know how to do either...)

any tips for the 'welcome back, conner' quest? his comm device is lying next to some pretty strong monsters. i should probably leave this quest be for now, shouldn't i

Climb up the hill and walk veeerrry slowly to the drop, it's possible to get it without aggroing (afaik they're asleep). Died a couple of times trying at first though.

Azuran

Banned
Bleh, I hate farming so much. The worst part about the early days of RPGs is that you have no idea what the drop rates for stuff is.

Ridley327

I was kind of worried when I saw that I had to do eight missions to earn the Skell license, but three were completed almost right away and the rest were a breeze, though the tyrant you need to hunt can be a bit tricky with his special ability.

Man, Skells are awesome.

I noticed a streamer was able to check which monsters he needed to kill (or a hint) by highlighting the squad task thing at the bottom right, how do you do that? I thought those were supposed to be a complete crapshoot you were supposed to stumble upon and share location to your squad mates (which I don't know how to do either...)

I believe you need to hold R and press L, then L again to navigate

ultimalionbgh

Neo Member
I was kind of worried when I saw that I had to do eight missions to earn the Skell license, but three were completed almost right away and the rest were a breeze, though the tyrant you need to hunt can be a bit tricky with his special ability.

Man, Skells are awesome.

I actually only spent about 30 minutes on the Skell license. Mostly due to a lot of exploration that I probably did before hand. Personally, the one that took the longest is the item in Oblivia.

Skells are awesome! I started playing around with the colors. Somehow ended up with a Valkyrie color from Macross.

WVW69ipLl6AiVLG8AQ

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

You hold R and press L I believe.

Zomba13

Is there any difference in movement speed/ability depending on what skell you have? The one you start with is a Light one but do Medium and Heavy move slower/don't jump as high? I can buy more now but I don't know if I want to change my one if they end up being slower.

Vecks

I finally got the skell today. The exam was much easier than I thought it'd be. I heard it was tedious but the only issue I had was the collectibles from oblivia. Eventually found what I needed from a secret cave chock full of collectibles.

desu

For people that beat the story:

Can I use Elma in her normal body? If so how?

edit: nevermind its in the game settings, lol

Malus

I think it balances the open world design/story progress better than Metal Gear did, which is probably the closest analogue to the way this story is laid out in regards to open world games. Since stuff like GTA etc. doesn't follow this formula.

The affinity missions are hit or miss, but some of them give you better insight to characters and their actions in the main story. The fact they're more involved than the typical basic quests that you get are nice too. The affinity quest where you follow Vandham around during his work day is really good.

It is, but I've not done it yet. When I checked after beating chapter 4 the mission I could select was a time attack against the boss.

Yeah the Vandham Affinity quest was probably my favorite so far, and I enjoy his character in general. It's not the structure of the story that's a problem for me, just the overall quality. Voice acting for the minor characters, the dialogue, the way the NLA theme suddenly shifts to a dramatic theme without transition. It's just rough. And who cares about Shingo and his cat or whatever. I'm thinking I'm gonna get backstory on Gwin or Lao and it ends up being help Shingo with his romance problems or something random.

I think they should bring back the european voices. It'd immediately make the game more charming without even adding anything else.

Just walked into Cauldros totally by accident lol. Saving that for later.

Yeah the Vandham Affinity quest was probably my favorite so far, and I enjoy his character in general. It's not the structure of the story that's a problem for me, just the overall quality. Voice acting for the minor characters, the dialogue, the way the NLA theme suddenly shifts to a dramatic theme without transition. It's just rough. And who cares about Shingo and his cat or whatever. I'm thinking I'm gonna get backstory on Gwin or Lao and it ends up being help Shingo with his romance problems or something random.

I think they should bring back the european voices. It'd immediately make the game more charming without even adding anything else.

Just walked into Cauldros totally by accident lol. Saving that for later.

I've just started exploring cauldros. I love that there's one random island with a data probe and level 8 and 9 enemies as part of the final continent

Not_Mario

Neo Member
Is there an easy way to obtain bagflea squashes in Oblivia for the proficiency exam? I found one in a cave but I went back again and haven't found them so can they just be found anywhere in the continent?

Is there an easy way to obtain bagflea squashes in Oblivia for the proficiency exam? I found one in a cave but I went back again and haven't found them so can they just be found anywhere in the continent?

They're found in caves, and the lake area in the northeast part of the continent.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
This game is a massive step up with the sub quests.

Frozen pizza
Choices come back to bite you
And it feels much deeper

This game is a massive step up with the sub quests.

Frozen pizza
Choices come back to bite you
And it feels much deeper
Why is it that the food of choice for aliens is always Pizza? Like almost every time aliens become infatuated with an earth food in fiction, it almost always ends up being pizza

Without spoilers, how are people liking the story the further they get into the game? Will be picking up the game regardless, but keeping my fingers crossed there is some good stuff to be found story-wise.

Vecks

I found them in a cave at the very bottom right coast of the continent, at the northern most part of the shore.

Without spoilers, how are people liking the story the further they get into the game? Will be picking up the game regardless, but keeping my fingers crossed there is some good stuff to be found story-wise.

I like it. I also appreciate the background stuff in the affinity missions and certain normal missions. There's some really cool lore in this game, and the normal missions are way better than Xenoblade storywise

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Why is it that the food of choice for aliens is always Pizza? Like almost every time aliens become infatuated with an earth food in fiction, it almost always ends up being pizza
Pizza is a good that even destroyer of worlds would bow too

It's the law of the universe

I really wish whenever I enter this thread the first thing I did wasn't highlighting spoilers not remembering what thread I am in.

( ._.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom