• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. I am going to shut up and keep playing. I know I am gonna end up loving the game (I already do, sans Sawano, ugh) it is just hard to let go of the idea that this isn't Xenoblade 2. :p

Lol... I mean a lot of what sets the atmosphere is the music. I understand the dislike for vocal tracks (although I think Uncontrollable sets an amazing tone in battle), but the environment themes are superb, whether Noctilum theme, Sylvalum, Oblivia, Cauldros or Primordia. The Ocean themes are great (Field Kaijou), Z15 Field is amazing, etc. They definitely have a big part in setting up the atmosphere.

Vecks

Good to know. Thanks. So does the map update with locations of them then?
I gotta do some of these.

Thanks for this too.

It only shows up on the map if you get the info from somewhere, like a random npc. Otherwise, you could probably just find out the locations from google or if someone knows it here.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
God damn it people :D

Just buy the mats in the BLADE devision shop with your bonus tickets.

Or use google - you can easily find any quest because someone already had the same problem always :)

Also, talk to the person again. They'll usually narrow down the search area.

Zomba13

This game really need a photograph mode. I wish I could take panorama photo in this game.

I think the aerial camera thing (where you throw the camera into the sky to look around) is such a troll. You can get great views but it's terrible for pictures because of the border it puts on the screen.

Game really does need a toggle UI button at the least. It's a hassle to go in and turn everything off and then turn on only the things you wanted that it kinda discourages me from taking screen shots.

k1t4j

Have to say I am enjoying the combat now much more than I did 40h ago.

I finally have a good grasp on soul voice and combos, I found out you can upgrade arts and skills (lol) and man going from duelist to Partisan Eagle + switch out
Doug with Lao
my damage output is ridiculous and battles go much, much faster.

I just started chapter 5 got a1,5mill and waiting to get my hands on a skell. This game makes me want to go home from work and just play the crap out of it.

EDIT:

I have Lin with super defensive arts, she is packing 2k more HP than the rest of the team with a focus on Shield. Elma is just straight up murdering things.

Mupod

as jank as Xenogears' regular battle system was I still feel it did the inclusion of mecha way better than the other Xeno games. Both plotwise and battle-wise. The balance between on foot and in robot was pretty well thought out.

I'm hoping things even out a bit later in this one but right now it's kinda annoying that I'm just objectively better off in my Skell in every situation. Outside of small caves you can seemingly bring them everywhere and even with only 3 level 30 Skells I absolutely shit on anything within 10 levels of me.

I'm expecting some story battles to force you to use your ground setup, but the chapter 7 boss went down so hard it felt like cheating. I guess I am a little over-leveled so I will try to slow down on that.

nynt9

I'm about 5-6 hours in, and this game is so weird and feels like a step back from its predecessor in many ways.

The strengths of XC were the charm, the heart, and Shulk himself. Here, we get a mute nameless protagonist with no real agency, just getting bossed around by people. You spend so much time watching cutscenes of people slowly explaining the geography and the factions and whatever, all things better shown than told. The combat feels less satisfying, perhaps due to the focus on ranged ballistic weapons. The music feels very tone-deaf, especially the rap stuff, and pretty much nothing from the previous game is improved. The sidekicks aren't as interesting as the ones from the previous either, with no attachment to them or their motivations. In general, there's no motivation. The story doesn't really give me anything personal I can attach to or any reason to invest. It feels like a very paint-by-numbers game with no soul. The world design and art direction is amazing, but that's pretty much the only thing.

I'm only continuing to play this because of the faith I have in the franchise, otherwise I would have just dropped it. And before you go "give it more time to get better", the original game was charming and engaging from the start. It immediately gave you a reason to care about the characters, the story and the world. And didn't make you sit through hours of uninteresting dialogue explaining the geopolitics of the region or how the army is structured or whatever.

Zomba13

as jank as Xenogears' regular battle system was I still feel it did the inclusion of mecha way better than the other Xeno games. Both plotwise and battle-wise. The balance between on foot and in robot was pretty well thought out.

I'm hoping things even out a bit later in this one but right now it's kinda annoying that I'm just objectively better off in my Skell in every situation. Outside of small caves you can seemingly bring them everywhere and even with only 3 level 30 Skells I absolutely shit on anything within 10 levels of me.

I'm expecting some story battles to force you to use your ground setup, but the chapter 7 boss went down so hard it felt like cheating. I guess I am a little over-leveled so I will try to slow down on that.

I feel the same. I have my Skell, why would I not use it? I'm faster, can jump higher, eventually fly and I'm a monster in battle. There are battles that force you out of the Skell though (at least in story missions) so you still fight on foot but for grinding or exploring the Skell it objectively better.

It actually makes me kinda miss running around on foot, trying to stealth around places or explore before I could just jump over everything.

I'm about 5-6 hours in, and this game is so weird and feels like a step back from its predecessor in many ways.

The strengths of XC were the charm, the heart, and Shulk himself. Here, we get a mute nameless protagonist with no real agency, just getting bossed around by people. You spend so much time watching cutscenes of people slowly explaining the geography and the factions and whatever, all things better shown than told. The combat feels less satisfying, perhaps due to the focus on ranged ballistic weapons. The music feels very tone-deaf, especially the rap stuff, and pretty much nothing from the previous game is improved. The sidekicks aren't as interesting as the ones from the previous either, with no attachment to them or their motivations. In general, there's no motivation. The story doesn't really give me anything personal I can attach to or any reason to invest. It feels like a very paint-by-numbers game with no soul. The world design and art direction is amazing, but that's pretty much the only thing.

I'm only continuing to play this because of the faith I have in the franchise, otherwise I would have just dropped it. And before you go "give it more time to get better", the original game was charming and engaging from the start. It immediately gave you a reason to care about the characters, the story and the world. And didn't make you sit through hours of uninteresting dialogue explaining the geopolitics of the region or how the army is structured or whatever.

If we were having a discussion, I'd probably just say the opposite of everything you just said. I think the music is the only thing that isn't far better in XCX.

TheMoon

there's soul in literally every battle bruh
jk

giphy.gif

went with the Jenna Coleman version of this meme because Melia ;D

I feel the same. I have my Skell, why would I not use it? I'm faster, can jump higher, eventually fly and I'm a monster in battle. There are battles that force you out of the Skell though (at least in story missions) so you still fight on foot but for grinding or exploring the Skell it objectively better.

It actually makes me kinda miss running around on foot, trying to stealth around places or explore before I could just jump over everything.

You still have to stealth around in later areas unless you really like paying for Skell savage prices.

Zomba13

While I'm loving the game (the exploration, the side missions, the Skells, the world) I do kind of agree with some of this. The music is hit or miss and the story doesn't grab me like the first one did. Xenoblade had Shulk and Reyn from the start and had strong motivation to go on a quest, it was a personal reason for revenge. Here you are a nameless guy drafted into a military organisation trying to find the last survivors of humanity on this hostile alien world. That sounds so cool (minus the nameless person thing) but it isn't grabbing me the same way and I think it's partly because your character is a blank slate and partly because of the mission structure of having to do side stuff before going to do the next story mission.

So I am debating whether or not to keep my CE of the game. I still don't own a WiiU and was planning on picking one up this holiday season but I have two issues with that. First, I always kick myself trying to justify picking up a console for only one game I am interested in. Second, while many people claim that Xenoblade X is their new GOTY I am also hearing a LOT of people from multiple sources getting burned out after about 15-20 hours from the repetition, less than stellar story, and battles being the same everytime.

Anyone here blown past all that without a care in the world and is the game still holding your attention no problem?

nynt9

If we were having a discussion, I'd probably just say the opposite of everything you just said. I think the music is the only thing that isn't far better in XCX.

I mean, I posted here to discuss. Feel free to guide me towards what I might be missing. Don't you think the overly explanatory cutscenes with no character are tedious? Don't you think that the lack of a clearly defined main character with little agency is a net negative? If so why not?

Ok so after something like 3 hours of stealthing my way around monsters roughly 20 - 30 levels higher than me I finally planted enough probes to get Noctilum to 20% and start Chapter 6. I'm definitely doing something wrong right? It shouldn't be that difficult to get to a measly 20% Survey rate right?

It shouldn't though. The majority of those probes in areas with monsters at lv 20s or so, the rest you can sneak around easily. I basically ran through 80% of Noctilum yesterday at level 22 without any issues since I misread the requirement and tried to get 30% survey rate lol.

zroid

Banned
So I am debating whether or not to keep my CE of the game. I still don't own a WiiU and was planning on picking one up this holiday season but I have two issues with that. First, I always kick myself trying to justify picking up a console for only one game I am interested in. Second, while many people claim that Xenoblade X is their new GOTY I am also hearing a LOT of people from multiple sources getting burned out after about 15-20 hours from the repetition, less than stellar story, and battles being the same everytime.

Anyone here blown past all that without a care in the world and is the game still holding your attention no problem?

I would not recommend buying a Wii U for Xenoblade only, because, as you said, it's not everyone's perfect cup of tea (even though it's really damn good).

Perhaps do a little research and you'll discover other Wii U games you're interested in -- I'm sure you'll find some -- that makes the decision a little easier.

I say this because I've been in those shoes where I bought a console for just one game which I was hyped as fuck about
Xbox and KOTOR
, but ended up not liking the game at all. It was frustrating.
Until Ninja Gaiden came out, then everything was better

Raide

I don't know if this becomes a spoiler but does Lin cooking things and why order you make her cook have any deeper meaning or is it just filler to do Tatsu jokes?

Vecks

This game is like majora's mask for me. I don't even feel like continuing the main story. I'm just trying to find as many normal and affinity missions as I can.

Speaking of which... I have a question about Celeste Three if anyone did that one.

I went to the safe, ended up fighting them and beating them but that's it. It ends just like that and feels rather anticlimactic. Is there another part to the quest or is that all (and no way to open safe) or did I screw something up?

I don't know if this becomes a spoiler but does Lin cooking things and why order you make her cook have any deeper meaning or is it just filler to do Tatsu jokes?

I am waiting for something deep with Tatsu.. there has to be something there. I will not accept any other explanation other than deep meta at some point.

Zomba13

This game is like majora's mask for me. I don't even feel like continuing the main story. I'm just trying to find as many normal and affinity missions as I can.

Speaking of which... I have a question about Celeste Three if anyone did that one.

I went to the safe, ended up fighting them and beating them but that's it. It ends just like that and feels rather anticlimactic. Is there another part to the quest or is that all (and no way to open safe) or did I screw something up?

I'm almost certain there is a part 2. I've recently finished that one and there has to be more. Maybe another Normal Mission will pop up after finishing another story mission.

I gotta say though I do love the deepness in the battle system that gives a lot more reason to wait for using arts and such. It's likely my favorite combat system that isn't Pokemon.

That being said what does melee and ranged AAs actually change besides TP gain dmg done and range? Or are those it.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

I loving it about 25 hours in for what that's worth.
That said there are LOTS of great games on the Wii U that you haven't played. Mario 3D World is amazing. Bayonetta 2 is amazing. Splatoon is great. Mario Maker is one of the best things ever. Don't let yourself be fooled. The Wii U has more than enough back catalog to make a great purchase and keep you busy for a great while. Just don't expect new games every month.

Chaos17

Ugh. Some of the quests are sooo vague. Like, find the xx item on Primordia. Yeah, right. I need to explore the whole region to find this item.

Don't do Blade gathering quests, just grab them when you've actually the items on you.
Npcs fetch quests, talk again to the npc, sometime he can tell you where to get his item.

Vecks

Even though I like the first one a lot more, I'm finding this one way more addictive. I'm past 42 hours and feel like I've only played 5. But it's far from perfect. Since you're already hesitating and asking, I think it'd be better to hold off. The game is not going anywhere. You'll always have more opportunities to play it in the future.

I gotta say though I do love the deepness in the battle system that gives a lot more reason to wait for using arts and such. It's likely my favorite combat system that isn't Pokemon.

That being said what does melee and ranged AAs actually change besides TP gain dmg done and range? Or are those it.

Auto attacks are the only way to charge your secondary cooldowns for the arts of that weapon. So if you want that extra boost, which can be quite massive for certain arts, you'll want to use that auto attack.

Kadin

Nothing on the calendar today and I'm due for a long, long marathon of playing. Gone the last few days without touching the game and it feels very, very wrong. I hate breaks like this in my games...

Has there been any hint of Monolith looking into doing any type of patches/updates to the game going forward?

Even though it spreads out your secondary cooldown, your range and melee weapon have different AA cds. So I can smack with a lightsaber, then AA with a raygun, the swap back to get another smack in. Then I will stick in saber for a bit because of that 3.0s raygun cd.

Besides that, just damage, range, and tp like you said.

R0ckman

Yeah, I share your criticism as well. I got so upset one night my wife got concerned as I contemplated breaking the game in half. I actually might sell this game after I beat it, if I even beat it. I just can't do this anymore.

Required party members for certain missions that don't level up if you don't use them, ended up with me having to solo some of the bosses if there was a difficulty spike. Also just got the skells
realized that it did not come with the ability to fly until chapter nine, you get the skells after chapter six.
That was pretty much the last straw.

I'll say that
1) I basically agree
2) in regards to the characters and story, it gets better

But IMO there's a lot of legitimately bad design in this game, frustratingly so given how good Xenoblade was. You have to grit your teeth and absorb punishment to enjoy the good parts of X. Kind of a bummer, I thought Monolithsoft was better than this.

I'm still enjoying the game (mostly) though. That said, hard to disagree when a reviewer gives this an 8/10.

Chaos17

I think it would be better for you to forget XC story.
In this game you're a new military recruit who help your city to get better and defend it as part of Elma team. You're not the savior.

The combat depend of lot of your class, for example Samourai gunner and Galatic knight are really focused on melee attacks.
Use ranged atk spells witht those two class would be a waste, they just won't do much damage that the melee arts.

The strengths of XC were the charm, the heart, and Shulk himself. Here, we get a mute nameless protagonist with no real agency, just getting bossed around by people. You spend so much time watching cutscenes of people slowly explaining the geography and the factions and whatever, all things better shown than told.

They've very much traded the fantasy epic feel of the previous game for the feeling of being thrust into a exploring a dangerous and uncharted planet.

I don't think the real strength of the original came from those elements you described - I think it came largely from the feeling that came from exploring the world and finding different kinds of vistas, monsters, and enemy lairs everywhere - but I do think the story and characters definitely added to the charm and made it a "beloved" game rather than a simply immersive one, and I don't think anything in X has come even close in that department.

I'm still having lots of fun exploring dangerous territory and discovering just how much there is to see on Mira, though - and how readily available it all is if you're careful enough to not get taken out by monsters.

jgwhiteus

Holy shit at that chapter 5 revelation. I was not expecting that

What I like about the Chapter 5 "twists" is they directly address
some suspension of belief mechanics you usually take for granted in a video game: how come these aliens all speak the same language? How come I can literally jump off a cliff and not suffer any damage? How come the character can change his/her identity and appearance, including skin color, without anyone finding it strange? Kind of a fun / clever way of playing on things we usually take for granted.

What's the max character lvl? I assumed it would be 99 or 100 since I've seen some lvl 90+ tyrants but it seems the max skell lvl is 60.

Manual says 60 for characters as well. I think you're meant to fight those level 99 monsters as a challenge with careful setups, like how you had to fight level 100+ monsters with max level 99 characters in Xenoblade.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
In 24 hours now. I didn't realize how fun just running around could be for me since I looooove just ticking off checkboxes in games. I have just been trying to reach a ton of beacons, and I love suiciding to reach new areas. They need to make a new team for Rock Climbers since I do so much of it.

Favorite discovery was that cave with a ton of items in Noctilum; such a surprise.

How does no one seem to ever take the
land bridge
? Am I the only one who saw it?
The enemies will kill you.

thomaszyj

Neo Member
What's the max character lvl? I assumed it would be 99 or 100 since I've seen some lvl 90+ tyrants but it seems the max skell lvl is 60.
Lv 60 for both characters and skells. Actually, you can defeat them in lv 60 on foot or by skell. The most important thing in this game is that the strength of the monster is not related to the level. Some lv 70+ tyrants are stronger than some lv 90+ tyrants.

Pretty sure i got fucked out of a perfect save. Either way, only one more hit left on my mech. Goodnight, sweet prince. Fucking Couldros, man, place is dangerous.

What I like about the Chapter 5 "twists" is they directly address
some suspension of belief mechanics you usually take for granted in a video game: how come these aliens all speak the same language? How come I can literally jump off a cliff and not suffer any damage? How come the character can change his/her identity and appearance, including skin color, without anyone finding it strange? Kind of a fun / clever way of playing on things we usually take for granted.

Manual says 60 for characters as well. I think you're meant to fight those level 99 monsters as a challenge with careful setups, like how you had to fight level 100+ monsters with max level 99 characters in Xenoblade.

Lv 60 for both characters and skells. Actually, you can defeat them in lv 60 on foot or by skell. The most important thing in this game is that the strength of the monster is not related to the level. Some lv 70+ tyrants are stronger than some lv 90+ tyrants.

Good to know, thanks! Almost half way there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom