• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJoRu

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01z8p94.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01bgrr8.jpg

A reminder that this game is beautiful.

Lilo_D

I'm about 5-6 hours in, and this game is so weird and feels like a step back from its predecessor in many ways.

The strengths of XC were the charm, the heart, and Shulk himself. Here, we get a mute nameless protagonist with no real agency, just getting bossed around by people. You spend so much time watching cutscenes of people slowly explaining the geography and the factions and whatever, all things better shown than told. The combat feels less satisfying, perhaps due to the focus on ranged ballistic weapons. The music feels very tone-deaf, especially the rap stuff, and pretty much nothing from the previous game is improved. The sidekicks aren't as interesting as the ones from the previous either, with no attachment to them or their motivations. In general, there's no motivation. The story doesn't really give me anything personal I can attach to or any reason to invest. It feels like a very paint-by-numbers game with no soul. The world design and art direction is amazing, but that's pretty much the only thing.

I'm only continuing to play this because of the faith I have in the franchise, otherwise I would have just dropped it. And before you go "give it more time to get better", the original game was charming and engaging from the start. It immediately gave you a reason to care about the characters, the story and the world. And didn't make you sit through hours of uninteresting dialogue explaining the geopolitics of the region or how the army is structured or whatever.

I enjoy the game more then previous one, but for your situation
I just suggest you drop the game instead of keep playing because if you can't feel it in the first 5-6 hours you will get more and more frustrated later

Zarovitch

Ive complete mission 3. Now it seem all mission i got seem to hard or a need to collect thing i don't know where they are.

I'm not sure whats the next thing i should do.

zroid

Banned
Ive complete mission 3. Now it seem all mission i got seem to hard or a need to collect thing i don't know where they are.

I'm not sure whats the next thing i should do.

Don't worry about the collect-a-thon missions, most of them will take care of themselves if you just explore. Go install some probes!

Yushi

Most mission are mostly all for costume and a little bit of money. They give very poor exp. The best way to level is grinding.

I just suggest you drop the game instead of keep playing because if you can't feel it in the first 5-6 hours you will get more and more frustrated later

But maybe he should carry on because later in the game the story gets much better. At first I thoight the cast was very hollow but after chapter 5 things start to look very different. Elma is becoming a great lead character.

Mupod

Do these developers even know how video games work? I check every waterfall I've found and none of them ever have anything hidden behind them.

mG6FgIg.gif

Ok so after something like 3 hours of stealthing my way around monsters roughly 20 - 30 levels higher than me I finally planted enough probes to get Noctilum to 20% and start Chapter 6. I'm definitely doing something wrong right? It shouldn't be that difficult to get to a measly 20% Survey rate right?

Don't you also get survey rate for actually doing the activity highlighted in each non-probe hex?

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
What the fuck?

I tried to run the .exe file that comes on the Xenoblade collector's edition USB. The first time it locked up my PC. I tried again, this time copying the file from the stick to my Desktop before running. It kept endlessly accessing, so I restarted my PC after about 10 minutes. Instead of restarting normally, it went straight into entirely reinstalling Windows 10.

Are they serious with this? Word of warning to everyone who got the CE and is on Windows 10: DO NOT RUN THE .EXE FILE ON THE USB DRIVE

The fact that they didn't just include the song files on the drive as bad enough, but this borderlines on negligence.

Mupod

So have you guys been using overdrive a lot? I find I only use it in like tyrants. Usually I stick with building my tp and using tp skills.

I like to pull huge groups of enemies then go nuts with tornado slash. Once you get momentum going it's just huge numbers everywhere.

I really need to get some of these skills in the full metal jaguar tree, and some +overdrive time augments. Maybe I'll work on that tonight.

zroid

Banned
Do these developers even know how video games work? I check every waterfall I've found and none of them ever have anything hidden behind them.

mG6FgIg.gif

so much this

especially when there's a sightseeing spot in a node with a waterfall

feels like the devs are trolling me :lol

Mupod

Are the Skells license exams after Chapter 5 or Chapter 6?

6. Tip: Beagflea squashes are in that lake in northeast Oblivia during the rain or early morning.

Rest of the quests are easy/obvious as long as you've been working on probe locations.

Ridley327

What the fuck?

I tried to run the .exe file that comes on the Xenoblade collector's edition USB. The first time it locked up my PC. I tried again, this time copying the file from the stick to my Desktop before running. It kept endlessly accessing, so I restarted my PC after about 10 minutes. Instead of restarting normally, it went straight into entirely reinstalling Windows 10.

Are they serious with this? Word of warning to everyone who got the CE and is on Windows 10: DO NOT RUN THE .EXE FILE ON THE USB DRIVE

The fact that they didn't just include the song files on the drive as bad enough, but this borderlines on negligence.

It was posted earlier in the thread that you can use 7zip to open the USB drive and extract the audio that way. I don't know why they did it the way they did, other than some fear based out of offering up the .WAV files for the tracks and having those freely in the open.

Speaking of, I really was joking in an earlier thread about them using .WAV, but they actually went ahead and did it.

Are the Skells license exams after Chapter 5 or Chapter 6?

6. Tip: Beagflea squashes are in that lake in northeast Oblivia during the rain or early morning.

Rest of the quests are easy/obvious as long as you've been working on probe locations.

They're also here http://i.imgur.com/nGltSKq.jpg
If you scan the wall on the beach (of the mountain) there's a secret cave around there that has 2 levels and leads to sort of like a treasure room with lots of items to pick up, there's always 2 squashes in there guaranteed. So you could just wait a minute for em to respawn again and get em easily like that. No need to wait for rain or anything either.

desu

Ahaha, glad I am not the only one being kind of dissapointed about not finding anything like that.

Anyone else hesitant to use TP skills? I'm always afraid to use them in case I would need TP to revive party members.
You can boost max TP if you're that paranoid about it but I don't worry about the dead and begrudge my teammates when they do waste their tp rezzing each other. Adjust your gear and skills and tp issues will be forgotten.

I see some folks saying that the best class ends up being the starting class/drifter. Any reason for that? The starting class outright says it's just balanced overall and gives no bonuses. I guess it has 5 skill slots.

Also speaking of, how many of you are putting arts to level 5?

Those BPs are tough to come by and getting an art to level 5 is really expensive, especially considering I need to put points into skills since they're all level 1. I'm thinking of keeping arts at level 4 so I can put points into my finalized skills list

EhoaVash

Just got my skell!!!!!the skell test was easy lmao it seems I already collected / beat the requirement before I even accepted the quest. I got lost in exploring the game, didn't bother to do story mission for a while until now

But ...now where the fuck is it. I went to the barracks to register it, come out jts gone? Anyone know where skell garage is ?? :((

According to my game clock I've put 6 hours in so far and it doesn't feel like it. Only in chapter 2 but spent a lot of time exploring and talking to people.

I see some folks saying that the best class ends up being the starting class/drifter. Any reason for that? The starting class outright says it's just balanced overall and gives no bonuses. I guess it has 5 skill slots.

Those BPs are tough to come by and getting an art to level 5 is really expensive, especially considering I need to put points into skills since they're all level 1. I'm thinking of keeping arts at level 4 so I can put points into my finalized skills list
I don't think i have any. A few level 5 skills, but no arts. Have upgraded some teammate arts to 5 though.

Just finished ch 10

Having 3 skells decked out complely destroyed the Zu Pharg. It was a joke.Felt sorry for Murderess who was skellless and fighting on the ground lol. He was pretty much just a punching bag.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Those BPs are tough to come by and getting an art to level 5 is really expensive, especially considering I need to put points into skills.
It's strong.

For example 5 skills lets you do

100% range dmg in a range combo
50% off range cooldowns in a range combo
100% melee dmg in a melee combo
50% off melee cooldowns in a melee combo
speed up secondary cooldowns by 50%

Mupod

I have been, because I thought I had an excess of BP.

Then I realized that was because I had never actually looked at Skills and had forgotten that menu option existed.

h0tp0ck3t

I have a hard time gaining TP on my Galactic Knight, switching to any other class I see it's supposed to be much easier.

When you hit level 20 the Psycho launcher you can build has an augmentation that gives you 500 TP for every part you break on an enemy

I'd like to eventually return to fullmetal jaguar, but I can't do it until i fully level up the current class I have.

Do BP (battle points) depend on getting classes leveled up or are they simply given to you after battles?

MouldyK

Man, listening to the "Mira" song (one which plays when you get introduced to Mira at the start) when walking down the street makes me feel like running to look at sights...but London ain't Mira haha.

Jennings

mG6FgIg.gif

Thank you! Too many waterfalls to be pulling this crap on the players. Too many let downs. Too much disappointment. Eventually I will find that ONE waterfall with a stack of Range Attack XXXX mods behind it, but until that day I will only adds to these waterfalls with my tears.

Qurupeke

Man, being able to take down 50lvl+ opponents with my Skells feels so good. Also, it's so embarrassing when my Skell is destroyed and I have to fight on foot while my team is using Skells...

ultron87

So, for the gather X thingies quest that don't give you any guidance on the map do you basically just need to run around grabbing junk on the field till you get the stuff you want?

R0ckman

Yeah I went for 30 hours and I actually got so mad I almost ejected the game and broke it, my wife told me to sell it. Will probably trade it in for paper jam. I honestly feel it's impossible to be a big fan of the first game and like the second. Gonna pick the first game back up now that I think about it, still have my run on the 3DS version to complete.

jgwhiteus

I've already maxed two of my most-used arts, and will likely max others... ones I'm not sure about using I've left at level 1.

And skills are comparatively cheaper to upgrade (e.g. final upgrade is 36 points, vs. 72 for a non-TP skill), and I only plan on maxing 5 for my "final" build (the 50% HP one, melee-boosting ones like Aura Assault, and maybe a cooldown accelerator), so I should have enough BP.

And yeah, I assume the first class is the equivalent of "freelancer" (from FFV) meant for people who've maxed out different class trees and want to mix / match with the most slots possible, while providing balanced stats that don't penalize you too much in any one area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom