• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilkBeard

I'm about 5-6 hours in, and this game is so weird and feels like a step back from its predecessor in many ways.

The strengths of XC were the charm, the heart, and Shulk himself. Here, we get a mute nameless protagonist with no real agency, just getting bossed around by people. You spend so much time watching cutscenes of people slowly explaining the geography and the factions and whatever, all things better shown than told. The combat feels less satisfying, perhaps due to the focus on ranged ballistic weapons. The music feels very tone-deaf, especially the rap stuff, and pretty much nothing from the previous game is improved. The sidekicks aren't as interesting as the ones from the previous either, with no attachment to them or their motivations. In general, there's no motivation. The story doesn't really give me anything personal I can attach to or any reason to invest. It feels like a very paint-by-numbers game with no soul. The world design and art direction is amazing, but that's pretty much the only thing.

I'm only continuing to play this because of the faith I have in the franchise, otherwise I would have just dropped it. And before you go "give it more time to get better", the original game was charming and engaging from the start. It immediately gave you a reason to care about the characters, the story and the world. And didn't make you sit through hours of uninteresting dialogue explaining the geopolitics of the region or how the army is structured or whatever.
Personally I'm more into the deeper gameplay mechanics of X. During the original Xenoblade, I was kind of...fighting off boredom. There was a really interesting world to explore, but not much else other than 'seeing' it for the first time. The story was well crafted, but the scenes were too far and few between a mountain of walking around that I didn't enjoy.

Why do I like Xenoblade X more? Because I never started playing this game for the story itself. I was hoping for gameplay improvements and I got it. Mira is much more engaging to explore, and each item you collect actually has multiple purposes now, even if most of it is junk like in the original. There are more options to the battle system, more things to customize, and the fact that there are affinity missions means that, while the main story is a dissapointment, there are a ton of things to do and ways that the game fleshes out the characters and universe.

I never really clicked with the original cast of Xenoblade, so having a customizable character is fine for me. You are mistaken in that Xenoblade X has less agency- it has much more. It is simply that the story is less of a focus, and yes, the writing is a disappointment.

Honestly, this game just might not be your cup of tea. But I've always favored vast gameplay systems that are interwoven with different elements that help flesh out the world, instead of a single driving narrative. The reason being, the narrative has to be damned good, and in the original, it just wasn't enough for me.

Chronicles X has given me enough to keep playing. I'm now 30 hours in. I took a two day break, and I'm back in and enoying the game again like before.

What you will get out of it depends on you. If you enjoy the mechanic of exploring, and getting some cool scenes sprinkled in here and there, as well as a lot of optional content, then it might be worth it to continue. Otherwise, you probably won't enjoy it.

It goes down relatively fast if you fly but you can explore for a long time. You don't burn any on the ground outside of combat. To refuel it it cost 5k miranium to replenish 3k fuel.

I have 6/8 AMs at max level and on my way to leveling up the 7th. I haven't unlocked the last AM, but once I finish leveling up this AM to 5 I'll essentially have miranium that has no use outside of weapon/armor upgrades.

Ridley327

Yes there is more involving that place.

Good to hear that.
I figured out what the source of the infection was pretty quickly, so I was able to save the girl's life, but it did seem like a hell of a place to stop at with how much of a hot spot that lake appears to be between that and the miracle water.

Ulysses 31

Anyone figure out any good affinity grinding tips?

I started throwing 3 non-Elma/Lin NPC's into my party for the sake of doing silly basic missions, but Oh-my-god killing a bunch of enemies in the teen-levels is soul-crushing because they can't survive anything higher just to sluggishly get XP and affinity hearts.

Halp!

Get Skell weapons with AE attacks and watch them lvl up fast! >.>

Or put +XP augments in their gear.

I have 6/8 AMs at max level and on my way to leveling up the 7th. I haven't unlocked the last AM, but once I finish leveling up this AM to 5 I'll essentially have miranium that has no use outside of weapon/armor upgrades.
Last AM only unlocks after chapter 10 (after doing two sequential affinity missions) so depending on where you are it might be a while. Also Miranium is used in missions occasionally. Finally, if you haven't completed booming business affinity mission, it unlocks a new way to use Miranium that is fairly expensive

Soul Lab

Feeling dumb for asking this but does the gear from the am's you invest show up in the normal shop terminal or am I missing something?

random25

Finished chapter 5 plus a ton of side missions. Still getting used to overdrive mechanic.

Maybe I'll start getting my skell rather than probing by foot.

cyba89

Oh no!
I checked some character on the affinity chart and now I can't do anything. I'm stuck on his profile screen.

Have not saved for two hours and did a lot of sidequesting. :(

Jolkien

Oh no!
I checked some character on the affinity chart and now I can't do anything. I'm stuck on his profile screen.

Have not saved for two hours and did a lot of sidequesting. :(

Yup my game crashed 3 time in the affinity chart window. I earned my lesson I ALWAYS save before opening it.

oni-link

Sorry if this has been asked before, I just grabbed this today

Do I need the disc in the system to download the data packs from the eShop?

Also do they automatically get used if they are downloaded when you start the game, or do you need to select an option in a menu to get the system to draw data from the data packs?

How much of a difference do they make?

Thanks

random25

Sorry if this has been asked before, I just grabbed this today

Do I need the disc in the system to download the data packs from the eShop?

Also do they automatically get used if they are downloaded when you start the game, or do you need to select an option in a menu to get the system to draw data from the data packs?

How much of a difference do they make?

Thanks

You manually download them on the e-shop. They are automatically used once installed. As for performance, those who compared said it made it much better in terms of loading and other stuff.

cyba89

Yup my game crashed 3 time in the affinity chart window. I earned my lesson I ALWAYS save before opening it.

This game desperately needs autosave. I lost basically all motivation to play this now because I would have to redo two hours of sidequesting and activating nodes. And I currently don't have so much time to play games anyway.
What sucks even more is that I just wanted to look up this character and then wanted to save and end my play session after that.

I would have saved more often if I knew such a bug exists. And I don't understand why stuff like this isn't fixed when the game is already out for half a year in Japan.

Whizkid7

Good to hear that.
I figured out what the source of the infection was pretty quickly, so I was able to save the girl's life, but it did seem like a hell of a place to stop at with how much of a hot spot that lake appears to be between that and the miracle water.

You can save her?! Dammit, I was really hoping that wasn't possible...After screwing up the helicopter one and getting the guy killed, I really didn't want this one to be the same...Seems I keep killing off NPCs by accident, lol.

RagnarokX

WVW69ipksPM9i8LhI3

I like how this suit has a monado emblem on the lapel.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You can save her?! Dammit, I was really hoping that wasn't possible...After screwing up the helicopter one and getting the guy killed, I really didn't want this one to be the same...Seems I keep killing off NPCs by accident, lol.

Yea, you have to keep her away from water. I just thought she might change and wanted to keep her close so I could take her out quick, I didn't realize it would save her.

The water treatment plant quests are all great so far, I definitely hope there is more of them.

Skells are definitely OP. Hence why more often than not they force you to get out for certain areas haha.

Also since I bought my whole team Skells and tricked out their weapons, I was down to 1 million.

Then I proceeded to buy some level 35 armor for my one character and motherfucking went down to fucking like 300k. Armor/weapons gets ridiculously expensive as you level up. I guess this is my punishment for going crazy with spending money with skells haha.

I am down to 160k after getting 3 skells all suited up gear

not enough for combat gear at level 30 will wait until another 5 levels

Yea, you have to keep her away from water. I just thought she might change and wanted to keep her close so I could take her out quick, I didn't realize it would save her.

The water treatment plant quests are all great so far, I definitely hope there is more of them.
Same, it just seemed smarter to watch her

CPCunha

Just started chapter 5... dudes guarding the
AA guns
are all level 55+
I'm still 23... is this just a matter of crazy farming or am i doing something wrong and skipping what i shouldn't be skipping? I've done around 6 affinity missions, do those help in leveling up?

AA guns
are all level 55+
I'm still 23... is this just a matter of crazy farming or am i doing something wrong and skipping what i shouldn't be skipping? I've done around 6 affinity missions, do those help in leveling up?
You're in the wrong parts of Oblivia. You should be able to get to the guns without fighting running into those ones

Baliis

AA guns
are all level 55+

Just gotta sneak around them, everything actually by the guns should only be in the low 20s or so so you can kill them fine.

jgwhiteus

AA guns
are all level 55+

What the others said; for the first one specifically there's a lower cliff route to the side with level 15+ enemies that lets you avoid the 50+ enemies. And I think you can approach the third one from an alternate route from the very entrance to Oblivia.

Fandangox

Good to hear that.

I didn't think she'd get infected, but I kept her from the shower because I thought she was going to get attacked there, when she said her skin was peeling off I realize what would have happened lol

I am down to 160k after getting 3 skells all suited up gear

not enough for combat gear at level 30 will wait until another 5 levels

Sorry to say that unless you have like 400-500k by level 35 you might still not be able to buy battle gear. For some fucking reason shit gets super expensive. I couldn't even buy gear for Elma and Lin. The spike in armor price was ridiculous

holy fucking lol at the probe location in the last area literally like 5 steps away from a level 60 tyrant that 1-shots me in my skell that is also surrounded by lava.

It's like the game is telling you "YEAH YOU FUCK JUST TRY TO GET THIS ONE"

RagnarokX

WVW69ipkv8Q-cuHxis

Awe! The kitty thinks he's people!

I wish you could recruit pets as party memebers. Imagine how hilarious it would be running around fighting indigens and xenos with a team of house cats.

jgwhiteus

It would be probably dumb fanservice, but I kind of wish Shulk's costume (or Dunban's) were available to get in the game.

I had my first fanservice geek out moment at the end of Chapter 6.
Have no idea why there are Telethias in Mira, might just be another monster, but it made me wonder if there are (loose) connections between the universes.

holy fucking lol at the probe location in the last area literally like 5 steps away from a level 60 tyrant that 1-shots me in my skell that is also surrounded by lava.

It's like the game is telling you "YEAH YOU FUCK JUST TRY TO GET THIS ONE"
Can't remember, but wouldn't surprise me if it was also level 5 mechanical. Unless it's an enemy that only Aggros if you are in a skell

Zomba13

CrxchId.jpg

Elma looks great in that outfit. ♥

I've had her in the white one since I got it. the pink one seems a bit too cutesy so I had Lin in it for a bit and I'm keeping the yellow one faaaaaaaar away from women because it loooks terrible (though I think it's the nice purple one on men).

anaron

I'm about 5-6 hours in, and this game is so weird and feels like a step back from its predecessor in many ways.

The strengths of XC were the charm, the heart, and Shulk himself.
ah yes, Shulk, the walking exposition.

XB is an amazing game but it's so overrated by its fans.

TDLink

Good to hear that.

If you're doing all of the normal missions you will get more at the water treatment plant. Some of the later quests are contingent on others as
you must have other xenoforms move to NLA

Not_Mario

Neo Member
It really does feel like Elma was originally supposed to be the main Shulk character of this game before they decided to add the custom player character. She's the only character whose thoughts you hear in cutscenes.

MilkBeard

ah yes, Shulk, the walking exposition.

XB is an amazing game but it's so overrated by its fans.

Yes, true. And if you played Final Fantasy VII many years ago you would have
already experienced a similar plot twist and would have felt a strange sense of deja vu upon seeing it.
At least that's how I felt.

MilkBeard

It really does feel like Elma was originally supposed to be the main Shulk character of this game before they decided to add the custom player character. She's the only character whose thoughts you hear in cutscenes.

Unfortunately Elma's personality is a little bit mechanical, because she could have been a really cool character. And I wouldn't have minded playing as her as MC.

It would be probably dumb fanservice, but I kind of wish Shulk's costume (or Dunban's) were available to get in the game.
I'd like that too as long as it wasn't end game gear but just fashion gear fodder, I think everyone in Xenoblade should have had their default gear in the game(except Riki of course).

Evilkazz

Banned
What do I do with all of my access money? I have close to a million credits saved up and I'm past chapter 11.

I've bought 1 of every Skell to give to companions just to color and name them. I suppose I could buy good weapons for all of them but there's some I hardly use so I think that would be a waste. Should I just save up for the lvl 50 Skells?

At this point I'm just buying fashion armor.

desu

Sorry to say that unless you have like 400-500k by level 35 you might still not be able to buy battle gear. For some fucking reason shit gets super expensive. I couldn't even buy gear for Elma and Lin. The spike in armor price was ridiculous

I really don't know why anyone would waste money on equipment, I never bought anything other than Skell gear and beat the game still easily. Maybe I did enough optional stuff but there was always something good in my inventory from one of the fights before.

Not_Mario

Neo Member
Unfortunately Elma's personality is a little bit mechanical, because she could have been a really cool character. And I wouldn't have minded playing as her as MC.

Yeah. I really like her design but she seems to be too distant most of the time. I guess she is a commander so it makes sense but still.

Jolkien

What do I do with all of my access money? I have close to a million credits saved up and I'm past chapter 11.

I've bought 1 of every Skell to give to companions just to color and name them. I suppose I could buy good weapons for all of them but there's some I hardly use so I think that would be a waste. Should I just save up for the lvl 50 Skells?

At this point I'm just buying fashion armor.

Erhmmm you wanna save up. A single level 50 Skells cost 3-4.5 million.

Can't remember, but wouldn't surprise me if it was also level 5 mechanical. Unless it's an enemy that only Aggros if you are in a skell

Found a way around him.
I really don't know why anyone would waste money on equipment, I never bought anything other than Skell gear and beat the game still easily. Maybe I did enough optional stuff but there was always something good in my inventory from one of the fights before.

Were there not many situations you couldn't use skell in?
I mean I'm just planning in case shit goes wrong. Not to mention level 50/60 skells are ridiculously expensive. A few hundred K compared to 4 million for a skell haha.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I think I ran into a game ending glitch. I'm supposed to meet Lao to start the Chapter 4 story mission. When I meet him, I can have him join my party or decline. No other options. If I decline, nothing happens. If he joins, the quest doesn't update. The marker stays where he was and no further instructions pop up in the journal. It still says "meet Lao at the place." I even wandered around Nocturis and fast traveled to see if it would trigger something.

Is there something I'm missing here?

desu

Found a way around him.

Were there not many situations you couldn't use skell in?
I mean I'm just planning in case shit goes wrong. Not to mention level 50/60 skells are ridiculously expensive. A few hundred K compared to 4 million for a skell haha.

For beating the story, LV30 Skells are enough (I took the best heavy one and never looked back). After you get Skells there are only a few occasions where you can't abuse Skells :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom