• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulysses 31

I need help. I'm at the very beginning and I can't enter the city. The guy and the yellow arrow point me to the elevator but I can't seem to operate it !? Is it a bug or did I miss something? I feel so dumb...

Looks like you need to move around a bit, sometimes you don't get the activate prompt if you're right in front of the object as if it has a small dead zone..

Golnei

You also have the option to save up to 5 avatars to quickly load.

Do note you can't change your name* so anyone thinking of starting as a girl then wanting to play as a boy should be aware (or vice-versa, I assume gender changing is allowed).

*-In one of the screenshots in the manual there is a level capped player named "hi" :(

That'll help a lot, but the name thing is a bit of a limitation. I guess that just limits my choices from 'obnoxious puns' to 'gender-neutral obnoxious puns'.

I managed to snag a copy!

tumblr_mwdlfheGmN1rsiabio1_1280.jpg

aravuus

Day 1 impressions:

Once the tutorial section is over [about 5hrs in on my playthough], it was a game that I kept playing until I realised it was 4 in the morning. Once the game allows you to explore and do quests, the game becomes frankly amazing. This game is very enjoyable to play - and thanks to its game design - it's very nice to pick up and play. I feel like MGSV tried to do pick-up-and-play game design as well, but didn't work so well for that type of story. Here, splitting it up into byte sized chunks is actually a good thing and makes sense from a narrative perspective so far.

While the world itself is phenomenal - I don't feel immersed. This comes from two things:
- Character models have gone back to Xenosaga 1 levels of emotion. Example: Lin plays sarcastically with Tatsu in dialogue, but is completely deadpan on character expression. What amazes me is Shulk & co etc were far more emotive with so much less detail on their faces. I didn't just hear it in the audio, I saw it on the face.This makes it really hard to relate to the main character, because there isn't anything to tether me to them. I'm not sure why this has happened [art wise they had this nailed down in previous games], and I have to hope that with a game this size that cutscene detail improves over time.

- Lack of cohesion. The music, dialogue, world design, art style etc. They are all excellent, but they all seem to have been made in silo, none so far contributing to another in providing an immersive experience. Loud outrageous battle chants over a rap song in the middle of a still lake fighting the mother of all boss monsters feels like a parody of itself.

Compared to another JRPG - this game is amazing. Compared to an open world game - it really suffers. I remember vividly moments in Witcher 3 where I was on horseback with the wind & rain battering the forest I was entering, trees swaying and creaking], keeping my ears out for the faint sound of a beast hidden within. The atmosphere was almost tangible there. Not so much here in XCX. It's still amazing - I can't wait to get home to play it - but it disappoints me that the lack of emotion and immersion is present here.

I'm only a couple of hours in, but I can already tell these are very realistic complaints that I'll probably share. The lack of cohesion isn't really THAT big a deal, personally - the game clearly doesn't take itself very seriously, and I'm fine with it. Many JRPGs would benefit from some self-deprecating humor.

The animations are prettttty bad, though. I've been watching a let's play of Xenoblade for the past couple of days and it's actually quite surprising how much emotive the characters are in that game, like you mentioned. Pretty big downgrade.

Thankfully the cutscene directing is still very nice, loving all the camera angle choices etc

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Asking again, anyone who preordered the special edition from GameStop back in like July, did it ship yet? I've got no updates or anything on it and here it is launch day and me with no Xeno.

Mine didn't ship but my Credit Card also changed within the last month and for that current order has my old expiration date. Won't let me update the current information for the order but I was able to change the information under my account information.

Still sitting at Open status currently. Don't know if I got screwed due to my own forgetfulness.

Steejee

Since I'm bookending XCX with FO4 before, and Witcher 3 after, the tone (and inconsistencies thus in) will be a nice change of pace for me.

Hagi

The music in this is really weird and not at all cohesive. Blaring over characters talking, weird English songs then nice orchestral music. It's not that big of a deal but on first impression it's a bit jarring lol

Game is really fun so far for someone who only played a little of Xenoblade and can't remember a thing about it. Nice to finally be able to dust off the Wii U.

Wait, can you view global stats for every enemy out there, or just the Tyrants?

Just wondering what the earliest viewable mandatory enemy is.

LProtag

So anyone know how long it takes in terms of play time to get from Drifter to your first class choice? And then from that to the 2nd? I really want a lightsaber.

brainslug

So... my pre-order didn't arrive today, even though it was shipped on Tuesday! Needless to say, I was pretty pissed.

So I went ahead and bought the digital version, because I just can't imagine this weekend without X!

Now I'll just have to wait for Wii U to download 20 GB, which will take some time.. ETA is now around 3 hours, with 6 GB already downloaded.

EDIT: It seems there is also an update file for the digital version. Anyone know how large it is?

I preordered mine from Gamestop online at the end of September, it shipped yesterday. I'm not gonna get it for a couple of weeks though, and couldn't wait so I downloaded it.
vkFix2K.png

Mine didn't ship but my Credit Card also changed within the last month and for that current order has my old expiration date. Won't let me update the current information for the order but I was able to change the information under my account information.

Still sitting at Open status currently. Don't know if I got screwed due to my own forgetfulness.

Well damn. I'm pretty sure mine is in the same boat as you, Magius. I had to update my card but then it didn't tell me if it accepted it or not.

Does anyone know if stores will have a special edition copy? Or was it online only?

Sylas

So anyone know how long it takes in terms of play time to get from Drifter to your first class choice? And then from that to the 2nd? I really want a lightsaber.

It took me about 30 min - 1hr of combat once I was allowed outside of NLA to get my first class choice. The game doesn't, or didn't, surface this. So pay attention to your level ups! The 2nd is taking a little bit longer but it's not gonna be more than 5-6 hours total I think?

What class do I have to choose to get a lightsaber?

I forget the name of the class--but it's the one that branches off of Enforcer. The weapon itself is called a Photon Saber. Also, it's worth saying but, uh... Be careful with the Raygun. Most of it's abilities have an AoE component and it's super easy to accidentally pick a fight with a dinosaur when you really don't mean to.

Ahem.

jorgejjvr

I think you have an option. You can be loosely linked to 31 other people but you can choose to group up for missions with people on your friends list. No free-roaming though, so its only set missions that are usually hunting focused.
Well, that works just fine tho! Great

Would that count as the same as completing the quest on your own? Towards experience for single player?

daakusedo

Yesterday, I was in the Noctilum zone where gorillas relax and their animations are quite good.
Overall, even for a battle system that has many indirect hits, the hit feedback is satisfying with powerful attacks.
Elma has some brutal combos and it seems the ai doesn't know how to work it out given my rapid failure against a boss using my avatar and the equally fast win switching with Elm.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Well damn. I'm pretty sure mine is in the same boat as you, Magius. I had to update my card but then it didn't tell me if it accepted it or not.

Does anyone know if stores will have a special edition copy? Or was it online only?

Everytime I tried to update the specific order info it always said the maintenance system could not process and that the info I entered was incorrect from my financial institution. Which is wrong since the info I entered is correct. It does not ask for my cards Security key and only requires the number, type of card and new expiration date and nothing.

I imagine we are on back order since they have a specific "verification status" so it is likely they haven't gotten to us yet and might be out of stock and waiting for resupply. My status remains on "Open".

I preordered my Special Edition in August.

JCX

Drove by the gamestop with my copy of XCX on the way to work, but they weren't open yet. Just a few more hours. Jealous of everyone already playing.

Freeman76

SO TEMPTED ARGH....love games like this, but have Syndicate, Witcher, Life is Strange, Battlefront etc at the moment, feel like I would be an impatient bafoon to buy this today but I WANT IT AS WELL hahaha, the life of a gamer :p

UltraJay

Is there a was to put out Sound through The gamepad headphone port without displaying the game itself on it?

What are you trying to do? I moved my Wii U to my computer monitor so I can be nice and close as well as not take up the TV at all times. Of course, my monitor has HDMI but no speakers for the audio to come out of. I was thinking I could use the headphone jack but games like this and Splatoon feature separate audio for TV and gamepad.

Wii Component cable to the rescue! In a recent update I guess they added separate audio/video output selection so I can run HDMI to my monitor and then the component cable's audio cables into a 3.5mm jack converter (I've had that ever since I bought the Xbox 360 VGA cable because of Dead Rising's awful SD text). I plug that into my line in on my PC. It's the same way I plug my PS3 into my PC setup so I'm glad Nintendo added the option.

You can find the option in the audio settings under TV in system settings. Press X on that screen to pick HDMI audio, Component audio, or output from both (I had problems with this one). I literally bought and received a component cable from Ebay a day or two before release. I couldn't reach the one connected to the TV!

Using this method, I thought the audio sounded echo-like. I checked my audio settings on my PC and disabled Window's line in device because my mobo's audio driver software was handling it. Before that I was listening to it from both at the same time!

Are you trying to hook it to you computer monitor?

Good lord I need a guide... I have no idea where some of the stuff I need to find is.

Still not sure which class to choose, good thing we can change it at any time.

Btw, what is Miranium used for? I know we can use it to research weapons and whatnot and some people ask me for it through some quests. Any more important uses?

JCH!

Man, this game is so much fun.

The environments are breathtaking, combat is top-notch, voice acting is surprisingly not cringe-inducing and then music is definitely not as bad as some people claim it to be.

I am level 15, not progressed much story-wise, just enough to join the Pathfinders.

I do have a question, though. Is it me or ar the sniper classes terribly underwhelming? I am rushing the Astral Crusader class, currently half way through the first sniper class and it feels super weak. Any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom