• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

aett

I don't have kids but I'd imagine you wouldn't want to be separated from any noises and such, right? Playing with lower TV volume is a no go?

I use headphones that don't completely cover my ears, so I can hear baby noises.

The main problem with using the TV sound is that the TV with the Wii U is on the other side of the house and too far to hear if the baby is awake (at least, with the game playing). My ideal plan would be to move the Wii U closer to the bedroom, or even in the bedroom, and use the Gamepad with headphones, but I can't do that.

It's hard to explain all the little details of how the house is laid out and how we handle the baby at night. I'm going to try and fix the sound issue tonight and just hope I don't break the Gamepad any further. :p

Kadin

I would say reading the Manual for this Game is Essential, it´s the first time in the last 8 Years that i need to read one, lol.
Agreed. I'm normally fine with just learning as I go but it appears a lot is thrown at you pretty quick and it's not explained as thorough as you'd hope. But that's fine, a nice detailed manual is a good secondary resource. Plus it's a good way to enjoy a fresh pot of coffee.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Finally picked up my copy!

I am taking forever making my character.

Saved 4 different characters (male/female) and I can't decide between the 4.

Ugh. I'm the worst.

WVW69ioQgzIVeq8pWj

WVW69ioQkXYgf6ay1k

WVW69ioQhcYmMQuZUk

Help me choose!
1 or 3

aravuus

I'm a tiny bit bummed out how movement has quite a bit of animation priority going for it - turning 180 degrees takes way too long, character has actual turning animations that have to play out before changing directions, character takes a walking step or two before starting to run etc. It makes moving around look a lot more realistic, but trading off tight movement controls for it is almost never worth it imo.

Especially with that jumping animation lol, all realism gone in an instant.

I kinda recall Xenoblade being tight as heck? Wonder why they went with this direction.

e:
One thing that this game does really good compared to other open-world games is the feel of the movement, I think the game that comes closest to X's movement is Saints Row IV, with all the superpowers.
Running around and jumping just feels so good.

Hah, didn't even notice someone happened to post about the exact same thing, but from a completely different perspective lol. Personally it feels sluggish as fuck, especially since it feels like there's a bit of input lag too. I'll get used to it, though, def not a game breaker.

Update on NoShippingmageddon;
finally after fucking 56 minutes, someone picked up. Guy sounded like he was miles away from the phone, helped me walk through what was wrong, and it was my credit card number..Despite the fact that I had already updated my information twice on Gamestop's website.

He told me after it goes through"Processing" the new information, it would be shipped out. So I guess there's nothing else I can do right now. Thanks a bunch Gamestop. You and TRU are now on my shit list....never buying stuff from you again.

Rootbeer

Banned
Yesterday, mine was in a city nearby on its way to me.

They seem to have accidentally sent it to LA and now it says delivered on Monday... Nooooo

Qurupeke

The main body can drop every drop available from them, I believe, but broken appendages will usually drop one or two specific things from that list at much higher rates.

While this doesn't answer the question it appears indigens will drop loot for the main body+any appendages you destroy so destroying appendages should get more loot in general.

Thanks people. I tested it a bit and it seems to work.

rhandino

Banned
So yeah, if anyone is curious about one of the changes in dialogue from the Japanese version to the English version:

Japanese: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKIt8u3Onp0#t=31m35s

Says Dolls are cool and nothing more. Crew watches doll/skell walk by in silence.

English: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49SM77E9uXw

"Walk it baby! Mm-mm-mm."

Huge change there. Or 'addition' I should say. I liked the line, so I'm okay with this. I'm looking for nice entertainmnet, not purity, and they delivered here. But, from past titles, and probably this one too, 8-4 has added crap I didn't really like to spice up these chats. Mostly due to cuss words and stuff to characters that were just fine in the original.

Guess we'll see how this cast turns out. Hope Lin keeps it clean, but I doubt it.

Whatever though. I'm here for my man Hiroyuki Sawano and some blood pumping epicness!!!
Idk, I like the English scene a LOT more than the original tho since Lin is serving Skell fangirls a little better.

I been looking some scenes of the first 2 hours of the game in Japanese and comparing them to the Enlgush one and so far 8-4 and Treehouse did an amazing work, lyp sync aside =P

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Lin english voice actress has been excellent, made a intolerable character in one more interesting... or funny to listen at least =P

sublimit

Banned
Is the artbook of the American special edition bigger than the European one?From the videos i've watched it seems so which sucks big time if true. :/

Pretty much exactly what I feel, and though I like the soundtrack - it's just doesn't feel like the music was written for the game. Feels like Monolith didn't even show the game, or edit the music down to the cutscenes. I wouldn't be surprised if Sawano got a written brief that said: We've got X amount of zones with day night cycle, plus some cutscenes that have this range of emotion so we need some tracks.

From what I know, this is essentially what happened. After Sawano completed Gundam Unicorn (still remains the best OST in anime, hands DOWN), they contracted him for this game. He composed the entire soundtrack from the end of 2012 to some point in 2013, before then working on Attack on Titan. It seems like he followed an anime composers schedule (I mean he is an anime composer) in working on the game. It would have been cool if they could have dragged it on though, as I imagine only the very basics of the game areas were made up by that point. That might explain why the environment themes are pretty on point, and there's some fantastic orchestral as well as piano pieces, but overall the soundtrack doesn't feel... tailored to the game, because it wasn't tailored to the game. It couldn't have possibly been with the way the games development schedule and Sawano's composing schedule ended up working out.

I feel like Takahashi mentioned a few times he insisted on Sawano composing for the game, but I don't think there was a lot of back and forth in regards to the actual music. We all know how demanding Takahashi can be, as evidenced here: http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/xenoblade/0/0... why wasn't he demanding in this game? Was he starstruck with Sawano? I feel like the games music and cohesiveness could have been so much better than it is if there was more of a back and forth, and if they kept on composing slowly concurrently with development.

It's kind of a shame, Sawano is brilliant at fitting the mood and atmosphere of a scene/area, as we can see clearly with the environment music... but the cutscene music not so much. Maybe Takahashi COULDN'T be demanding because they didn't have the entire content they were creating the music for? But again, why contract all those tracks before even being done with the relevant scenes? I'm kind of disappointed because this soundtrack could have been Sooo much better with just a bit better planning, timeline and coordination... but instead we're stuck with a, while still very good soundtrack, simply not as good or perfectly in sync as it could have been.

Raide

Biggest Tip for New Players!

Nail the B Button Prompt. After attacking, hover over that damn Button. Getting this down early is crucial to winning battles.

Also. if you want to play a particular role (Gunner for instance) Don't forget to change your Soul Voices to be Ranged attacks etc.

So yeah, if anyone is curious about one of the changes in dialogue from the Japanese version to the English version:

Japanese: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKIt8u3Onp0#t=31m35s

Says Dolls are cool and nothing more. Crew watches doll/skell walk by in silence.

English: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49SM77E9uXw

"Walk it baby! Mm-mm-mm."

Huge change there. Or 'addition' I should say. I liked the line, so I'm okay with this. I'm looking for nice entertainmnet, not purity, and they delivered here. But, from past titles, and probably this one too, 8-4 has added crap I didn't really like to spice up these chats. Mostly due to cuss words and stuff to characters that were just fine in the original.

Guess we'll see how this cast turns out. Hope Lin keeps it clean, but I doubt it.

Whatever though. I'm here for my man Hiroyuki Sawano and some blood pumping epicness!!!
Not liking what they have done with this scene, it looks like some FUNimation dubbing over an anime.

I hope all the game is not altered like that.

I won't lie I really want this game but given how bad my last 3 experiences were trying to buy Nintendo games I decided to just pass this one up. Looking at the posts on here is seems this would have just been a fourth bad experience. Why do they make it so damn hard to buy a game?

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Got hyped to buy a WiiU today after looking the screenshots, but it's like U$600 here in Brazil. Well maybe next year....

Daknight

Just picked my copy during lunch, can't wait to get home! They seemed to had quite a few CE in Gamestop, to bad my budget only allowed me to get standard version xP

Ryoku

Grabbed my copy today. I'll play it some, but unfortunately exams week is creeping up soon, so I won't be able to play it as much as I would like. But once the semester is done....

Clawww

Looks like you need to move around a bit, sometimes you don't get the activate prompt if you're right in front of the object as if it has a small dead zone..

Did you figure this out? because I can't get this elevator to work either lol gg

edit: figured it out, had to quit out and go back in and the elevator prompt worked -_-

Chaos17

I won't lie I really want this game but given how bad my last 3 experiences were trying to buy Nintendo games I decided to just pass this one up. Looking at the posts on here is seems this would have just been a fourth bad experience. Why do they make it so damn hard to buy a game?

UWn4FAn.gif

Most of the Nintendo games are plug and play except for Bayonetta 2 and Wonderfull 101 where you've to master the gameplay.
Xenoblade X is a mix of those 2.

how to equip gear in fashion slot?
X for sub menu in equip menu.

Kyne

are you talking about the collector's edition?

Literally every retailer in my area has the game in stock. Target, GS, BB. I'm not sure what everyone is having problems with.

TheMoon

Made a thread: Show Off Your Xenoblade Chronicles X Character & Skell

Post your avas there

Is there a way to turn down/disable music?

The raging butt rock that plays in NLA is absolutely intolerable, and is incredibly loud.

No (covered in the FAQ of the OP)

Is the artbook of the American special edition bigger than the European one?From the videos i've watched it seems so which sucks big time if true. :/

Yes. Not just bigger, there's also more stuff in the NA book.

Neoweee

I feel like you should complain to them, probably get some amazon credit or something back.

I did. Free month of Prime, then I went to Gamestop and bought it. I'll either return the amazon one to Gamestop, or pay to return the Amazon one via UPS.

1 Business Day delay = Monday afternoon.

Idk, I like the English scene a LOT more than the original tho since Lin is serving Skell fangirls a little better.

I been looking some scenes of the first 2 hours of the game in Japanese and comparing them to the Enlgush one and so far 8-4 and Treehouse did an amazing work, lyp sync aside =P

Yeah, I liked that scene way better in our English version! Like I said, I'm for entertainment over purity first and foremost. As long as the character remains in character, and not have uncharacteristic traits randomly popping up here and there. And I think they do happen.

And as far as preferences are concerned, yeah, that's the main area where I may have my disagreements or disappoinments with certain localization decisions. And 8-4 surely don't sport my favorite kind of writers. :p

I do like Treehouse, btw.

Waji

Not liking what they have done with this scene, it looks like some Funimation dubbing over an anime.

I hope all the game is not altered like that.

I cannot agree more.
When you see how Ru talks nothing like he was in Japanese even though he was using expressions we can easily translate in most languages (things like "2 birds with one stone").
He was fun because he didn't know how to use it well. Gone...
There also Guin who adds a random sentence at the beginning that has no meaning and makes hime look idiot for no reason.
Elma is looking far cooler and nicer in Japanese also. I saw lots of emotional aspects of sentences simply removed.

It's fun (not to say sad) how the work of Monolith is insulted to the point people prefer the terrible translation work.

are you talking about the collector's edition?

Literally every retailer in my area has the game in stock. Target, GS, BB. I'm not sure what everyone is having problems with.

Since almost every supermarket where I am no longer stocks anything Nintendo it makes it really hard for me to get hold of any edition. There is a GAME in the town but it often means paying a premium that can be as much as half the price at other stores.

I'd eventually given up on buying local and went to Amazon but I had nothing but delayed or cancelled orders when shipments failed to arrive. Will probably cave and pay the premium at GAME but it just sucks that they're so much harder to get than ps4 or xbox games. I'd go digital for it but doubt I have the drive space.

aravuus

Do I have to master my CURRENT class to be able to equip arts from other classes, too? Went with Striker and I can't seem to be able to equip Drifter's arts.

e: or maybe I can, I'm confused lol

Clawww

I'm a tiny bit bummed out how movement has quite a bit of animation priority going for it - turning 180 degrees takes way too long, character has actual turning animations that have to play out before changing directions, character takes a walking step or two before starting to run etc. It makes moving around look a lot more realistic, but trading off tight movement controls for it is almost never worth it imo.

Especially with that jumping animation lol, all realism gone in an instant.

I kinda recall Xenoblade being tight as heck? Wonder why they went with this direction.

e:

Hah, didn't even notice someone happened to post about the exact same thing, but from a completely different perspective lol. Personally it feels sluggish as fuck, especially since it feels like there's a bit of input lag too. I'll get used to it, though, def not a game breaker.

I'm with you. movement is a wee bit on the jank side as far as my preferences are concerned. fortunately it doesnt look like much precision is required.can't say I care about the 'realism' of the jump; I like that it covers a lot of ground. just wish there was no turn rate

Kadin

Is there a shortcut to examining gear you find to see if it's better than what you have currently equipped? Right now I'm clicking start (+), then party, then ground gear, then character, then weapon, then ZL/ZR to change slots. Seems a long process to go through each time since drops come pretty regularly.

JCH!

Don't forget to upgrade Arts with Battle Points? Press X on the Art in the Arts menu. BP isn't shared, every character gets their own and you should level up their arts as well.

I had racked up 60 BP before I figured out how to do it.

Yeah, that might very well be the reason. I was just hoarding those BP because I'm paranoid I won't have enough for everything I want late game.

I know there's a
level cap
but is there a finite amount of BP as well?

aravuus

I'm with you. movement is a wee bit on the jank side as far as my preferences are concerned. fortunately it doesnt look like much precision is required.can't say I care about the 'realism' of the jump; I like that it covers a lot of ground. just wish there was no turn rate

Yeah I'm not trying to say I want realistic jumps, in fact, I love how far you can jump. I mean that the jumping being completely independent from animations and in fact looking incredibly unrealistic makes the choice to have animation priority in walking and running seem like an odd choice, since it's usually there to make the movement look more realistic.

Is there a way to reconnect to the online features if your connection drops?

Unfortunately saving and reloading (settings -> title menu -> continue) seems to be the only way. I really need that Wii U usb-lan thing, keeps disconnecting once an hour.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Most of the Nintendo games are plug and play except for Bayonetta 2 and Wonderfull 101 where you've to master the gameplay.
Xenoblade X is a mix of those 2.
That has literally nothing to do with what he's talking about.

Waji

Yeah, that might very well be the reason. I was just hoarding those BP because I'm paranoid I won't have enough for everything I want late game.

I know there's a
level cap
but is there a finite amount of BP as well?
Yes with Online Quest, but it's only 2 per quests.
You can easily raise Arts to level 2 as it costs almost nothing (from 2 to 6 BP at most).

Saven

Banned
Picked up my copy today, but the Wii U bundle that was on sale Monday from Toys R Us is still in "Item located in stock" status. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom