• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Absol

QJeDfbc.jpg

Ugh. This motherfucker was tough. Wish I was at level 50 for the higher level Skell lol

random25

Is there a way to farm for items to engineer new ground gear?

I have a lot of some materials, but some I do not have a single one. If only for my awesome arts and skill build, I'll be sucking with my weak equips from enemy drops lol.

That's a little different, though - they're presented just as bikinis, school uniforms etc. rather than actual armour which just so happens to look like them. Would it really be that much of a loss if there was no gender dimorphism with the actual armour designs, but the fashion gear still allowed you to dress up characters in similarly revealing or fetishistic clothes?

Man I don't care if people want to dress their characters in ridiculous outfits, I just want options and fairness. If your game is going to include this stuff, I want 1) equal opportunity cheesecake even though I'm not the type to use it, because chronically portraying the genders as different on this front is unfair and sends a terrible message; and unless your game is actually themed around cheesecake, 2) to not be forced to wear exploitative gear because it has the best stats, so either have a mix of roughly equally good high-end gear, or, even better, fashion wear.

1) should really be standard, and 2) is easily solved with fashion wear/vanity slots. The exploitation female characters tend to get in games bothers me hugely, but I also know people like their ridiculous costume options, so I always push these two things because together they should cover everything and everyone goes home happy. :)

Ah I totally misunderstood the original post. I agree. A lot of the male armor is excellent looking but the female equivalent of the same thing is some bare chested fuck all. Its kind of embarrassing. Thank the world for Fashion Gear that I'm still able to rock a slight variation of Elma and Lin's original outfits.

Anyone know how to disable these force fields you come across in certain caves and the
Ganglion Antropolis
? Guessing it's a questline or something but hell if I know which one.

Anyone know how to disable these force fields you come across in certain caves and the
Ganglion Antropolis
? Guessing it's a questline or something but hell if I know which one.

Ganglion Antropolis' is part of an incredibly long process involving multiple questlines and getting Cauldros completion to over 65%.
The other cave with a force field
in Sylvalum is towards the endof Professor B's questline.

Ganglion Antropolis' is part of an incredibly long process involving multiple questlines and getting Cauldros completion to over 65%.
The other cave with a force field
in Sylvalum is towards the endof Professor B's questline.

Thank you very much. Mostly concerned with
Professor B
right now then, since I need that storage probe there. I actually thought I was finished with him after getting the AM :p

Effect

Finally have my first Skell. Play time is currently at 48 hours. I am subtracting a few because the game did sit ideal a few hours while I was doing other things. So it's closer to just above 40.

The Skell test wasn't that bad. I had done a number of the things already so a few completed right away. The others were easy enough because I could easily jump back to the area to get what I needed due to exploring a lot.

Equiped some of the items I had already gotten and gave her some color. Will mess around more with it tomorrow.

jgwhiteus

Another one for the "really basic gameplay mechanics you finally understand after 50 hours" list... I never understood how squad points were rewarded, or why I would suddenly get a bunch of them when it seemed like I was doing nothing.

But after learning how to actually read the squad tasks (something I learned after 40 hours... it's hold R, press L to cycle through them, for reference), I realized everyone on the squad gets awarded points once one of the five objectives is completely cleared, and you get 2 points each time you contribute to one of the objectives. Seems like it should have been super-obvious, but it wasn't something I paid attention to.

But now that I know, I'm never going to waste time farming rare drops from monsters in order to complete missions or story quests... just going to earn squad points and purchase the drops from the squad terminal. It's already saved me a ton of time.

Lunar15

Now that I'm playing an english copy, this game is impressing me less and less. I've been able to spend some extensive time with it since playing some of my friend's import, and honestly, the review sentiment and player sentiment is confusing to me. But hey, it's early. We'll see.

So far, I like the battle system, but I've yet to really delve into the meat of it. The characters aren't annoying quite yet, but not terribly interesting either. I'm well aware this game has no story, so I'm not going to really say much on that aspect. I think the biggest problem is that the world is terribly uninteresting. There's scale, but the world itself isn't really intimate or fleshed out, at least in the bits of primorida and noctilum I've gone though. It just kinda feels as innovative as an MMO circa late 2000's with some steps forward and some weirdly glaring steps back. It's honestly like when we had the "really big world" phase of that time period. It's haphazard and uninteresting map design in every way possible. Very fake feeling.

In a few years, I don't think this game's gonna be looked on as favorably.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Just unlocked flying. Holy hell this game is beautiful.
The world design puts witches and fallout to shame.

Then I flew right into a lvl 90 dragon in a hole and got wrecked hard...

Evilkazz

Banned
Heard tell of some people getting spoiled on the new Star Wars movie through the Free Report System.

That sucks. Keep an eye out if you care about that stuff.

Elma in tank top <3

I wish she had a more charismatic VA.

Heard tell of some people getting spoiled on the new Star Wars movie through the Free Report System.

Is that the division thing that pops up during game play? I have it disabled.

Luigi87

123k per tick... so close to 130k
Still between ch.6 & 7, but I've seen that it's possible to get 130k at this point, so... gotta keep finding some research probes.

On the upside, I was only at 13k when I started going for more, lol

Surely the voice of Winry can do no wrong?

Still can't believe I had to look her up to recognise the voice.
Now that I'm playing an english copy, this game is impressing me less and less. I've been able to spend some extensive time with it since playing some of my friend's import, and honestly, the review sentiment and player sentiment is confusing to me. But hey, it's early. We'll see.

So far, I like the battle system, but I've yet to really delve into the meat of it. The characters aren't annoying quite yet, but not terribly interesting either. I'm well aware this game has no story, so I'm not going to really say much on that aspect. I think the biggest problem is that the world is terribly uninteresting. There's scale, but the world itself isn't really intimate or fleshed out, at least in the bits of primorida and noctilum I've gone though. It just kinda feels as innovative as an MMO circa late 2000's with some steps forward and some weirdly glaring steps back. It's honestly like when we had the "really big world" phase of that time period. It's haphazard and uninteresting map design in every way possible. Very fake feeling.

In a few years, I don't think this game's gonna be looked on as favorably.
Xenoblade Chronicles X is one of the few games that not only asks itself, "can you go there?" but also, "will you want to go there?" It throws away traditional open world concepts of strict level brackets and restricted travelling methods, instead revelling in the exploration it allows. You can jump two stories high, climb impossible cliffs, avoid or survive the most impossible of enemies, and find things that are not only rewarding, but exciting... and the sights along the way will be just as impressive. And then, in the middle, you'll learn it all again when you get a skell... and eventually a flight module. It's not really an open world as much as it is an expansive world.

Like, you see that mountain over there? You can go there... and then you'll see a floating rock just out of reach and wonder how the heck you ever get there, think about it for an hour, and then triumphantly return to claim the prize it holds. (And yes, it will have a prize.)

Also, slight correction: the game very definitely has a story. It's incredibly disingenuous to say that there's no story when the intro alone predicates it.

El Odio

Banned

Does that thing even update? I swear I've been seeing the same posts since launch. I should probably get back to finishing chapter 8 though. Had to pause it a while ago since the gamepad was about to die. It's like the only thing that gets me to take a break from this game I swear.

I'm still surprised they didn't get Cree Summer to voice her.

She's one of the Protoss women right? Oh that'd be nice.

Yes, though it's pretty useful for multiplayer missions. Just something to keep in mind for everyone else.

Yeah definitely. I think I'll even avoid the Division room in the Barracks as well, just to be safe.

Caitlin Glass is a very energetic voice actress. I'm pretty positive it is the voice direction. Ie, she's intentionally doing what she's doing because she was told to.

Oh what she's Winry? Cant believe theyre voiced by the same person. Yeah Elma is way too stoic and so far hasn't really shown much emotion or anything. Kinda robotic. I wonder how she sounds in Japanese..should YouTube for some clips.

Edit: So Elma's Japanese dub sounds pretty much how I imagined her to sound like. Wish we had the Japanese voice options but I'm sure thatd be couple of additional gigs.

Just got my Skell about 26 hours in. I definitely rushed for it tonight, though. I had to blaze through Chapter 6 and the license quests to get it. As a result in pretty burned out. Feel like just doing normal quests and exploring next time I play. I kinda wish I didn't have to worry about Skell fuel, but I guess they had to have some drawbacks to it. Game is great so far, but I feel nothing for the villains at all. They just seem like B-tier Power Rangers cronies after seeing the Mechon.

correojon

I finally got my Skell and it only took me like 2 minutes to get destroyed by a small lvl42 bug. Then I recovered it and wasted it again 2 minutes later when I was fighting a Tyrant Grex and crashed into a flying whale. Then I managed to beat a Tyrant with it and the remaining mobs destroyed it, but thankfully I ejected in time.
Now I´m afraid to take the Skell out of the barracks, I feel like I´m going to unwillingly aggro something that´s going to f*ck me up :(

The mission to get the permit wasn´t bad at all, I completed 3 of the 8 sub-missions right after Moustache-Man finished talking, another one fell 1 minute later when I gathered 150k money through probes and the other 4 were short and easy.

zroid

Banned
I also kind of wish that when in battle you could use (as an option) the touch screen to use your abilities as opposed to tapping left and right on the dpad.

It's actually pretty crazy that there isn't a touch-based arts menu of some sort on there. not like the screen does anything else while you're in battle.

jonjonaug

I finally got my Skell and it only took me like 2 minutes to get destroyed by a small lvl42 bug. Then I recovered it and wasted it again 2 minutes later when I was fighting a Tyrant Grex and crashed into a flying whale. Then I managed to beat a Tyrant with it and the remaining mobs destroyed it, but thankfully I ejected in time.
Now I´m afraid to take the Skell out of the barracks, I feel like I´m going to unwillingly aggro something that´s going to f*ck me up :(

The mission to get the permit wasn´t bad at all, I completed 3 of the 8 sub-missions right after Moustache-Man finished talking, another one fell 1 minute later when I gathered 150k money through probes and the other 4 were short and easy.

Part of getting a Skell is relearning everything about getting around the game world. It's easier to accidentally end up in unwinnable situations, but it's also much easier to escape from them because of how fast you can run away from stuff in vehicle mode.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars

Usually you are fast enough to escape unscathed if you encounter it during vroom vroom mode. Also, exiting the vehicle in vroom vroom mode is instant if they hit you and you survive.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
AGIT&#937;;189602147 said:
Ugh. Im spending so mich time trying to find this spirit want for this side quest. Its like day 2 of no luck

West of the continent in the sea kind of by an island. Found in a few minutes there.

jonjonaug

AGIT&#937;;189602147 said:
Ugh. Im spending so mich time trying to find this spirit want for this side quest. Its like day 2 of no luck

Go west of Sylvalum into the ocean, about halfway up the coastline. You'll find collectables out in the sea. The area with the Spirit want shares drop tables with the Straw Buyo and Stone Screw. If you start picking up those two items, just fly around for a few minutes and you'll eventually find the Spirit Wand. If you start picking up Shimmering Skins you're too far south, if you start picking up Missile Wiring and Acton Rock Shards you're too far north.

So I failed the first "boss" fight (enemy encounter before entering the structure with cutscene) and the game decides to skip it and move on in the story. WTF?!

Golnei

It's actually pretty crazy that there isn't a touch-based arts menu of some sort on there. not like the screen does anything else while you're in battle.

Considering how much they have you looking at the gamepad in the normal course of gameplay; it is weird it defaults to just a blank screen in combat. A touch-based menu for arts, consumables or commands would be preferable, but even if they couldn't have given it an actual gameplay function, displaying a bestiary entry and more detailed enemy status would have been useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom