• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golnei

Disappointed I can't bunny hop anymore with my skell though. Gonna have to surpress my urge to jump around whenvever I'm on my skell. They should have just made activating flight with either right stick click or double jump.

Double-tapping or holding the trigger might have worked as inputs to differentiate flying from jumping as well.

Shahadan

I don't care about having a silent protagonist/avatar or not personally. It just means someone else is going to be the chosen one of plot instead, like it seems to be the case here.

What I regret however, is that Xenoblade had the best ensemble cast of any rpg in recent memory with everyone always having something important or relevant to say, and that was one of my favorite things about it.

Here it's just Elma and Lin. Lol. And they're ugly and boring.
The others have a few lines here and there but they're awfully uninteresting. Lol, Doug.

Golnei

What I regret however, is that Xenoblade had the best ensemble cast of any rpg in recent memory with everyone always having something important or relevant to say, and that was one of my favorite things about it.

I like the idea behind X's larger number of party members, and the actual characters themselves are okay; but the loss of the original game's dynamic between party members was one of the biggest steps back. I know it was the only feasible way to handle things, but it's so limiting for scenes to only really be able to focus on one non-Elma and Lin character at a time, while any other party members just blankly stare on; as well as making any sort of interaction between two non-essential party members vanishingly rare, aside from the odd end-of-battle exchange.

ZeroX03

Banned
What's up with this NPC's pants...

WVW69iqxVssLIkIBl0

correojon

This game...After some days spent mostly in Primordia and Noctilum doing missions yesterday I went back to Oblivia and the contrast with all the vegetation in Noctilum hit me like a punch in the eyes (in a good way). Going around the open desert again as the godly music kicked in was truly amazing, I just forgot about everything and just spent some time there exploring the place for the nth time and truly feeling like I was in an adventure. This game gives me adventurous feelings I hadn´t felt since sailing around in the original Wind Waker with that epic ocean theme.

It´s great how NLA seems more populated and lively everytime I go back to it. After completing chapter 7 there are red ? marks popping up everywhere and all mission stories are well done and believable, they really sell you on the lives of the "people" living there. There´s goofy stuff like taking measures from some guys to create a new line of clothes, more spooky stuff like the water plant missions and everything in between. Here I thought that after 60+ hours I might have overdone it with missions and was going to have an empty second half of the game and I have barely scratched the surface.

random25

I solo'd a squad mission. Didn't know that you have to wait for squad mates to come before you enter the gates lol. Good thing I finished it even solo.

Kiryu

If I switch to other class, Can I still learn new skill and still use Longsword arts?

I am not even sure for how those system work... o.o

ike_

Okay so I finished that quest and got that flight module. So now I can defy the physics of a world I am 70 hours into, and I get a new audio track while I do so? Oh my ghad.

Vecks

If I switch to other class, Can I still learn new skill and still use Longsword arts?

I am not even sure for how those system work... o.o

I think you have to set your skills again whenever you change class, but whatever skill you've learned should be available. Arts are tied to weapons. When you max out a final class, you can use those weapons (and those arts) with any of the other classes. Until then, you can only use the arts if the class has access to that weapon to begin with.

Last chapter isn't much of a point of no return from what I can tell.

They were talking about (character availability spoilers)
getting all of Lao's Heart to Hearts before starting Chapter 9. At least they don't impact your completion rate because they're not logged anywhere. His Affinity Missions are all part of the story requirements so you can't miss those.

Thank you!

Telethia.
Phase 3 has it being completely invincible for an unspecified amount of time. Meaning its completly up to the game for when you can start hurting it again, overdrive or no. I can't manage to survive long enough to deliver the finishing blows.
I am so close to victory though. But it's time to call it a night and perhaps just wait for some skell frame patches....
Maybe grind out another Arts.GP augment.

correojon

Has anyone with the flight module tried just flying upwards to see how high you can get? This is the second thing I´m going to do when I get my flight module. The first will be to get on top of those rock umbrellas in Primordia, they´ve been teasing me since the start of the game and I´ve wasted many hours trying to find routes to get up there on foot.

BTW, I seem to be doing much better with the Skell now, thanks everyone for the tips! The boss of chapter 7 felt in a few seconds (all my time Overclocked right at the start of the battle and I even went into cockpit mode). Before I could take a good look at
the enemy mecha it was already exploding.

This game...After some days spent mostly in Primordia and Noctilum doing missions yesterday I went back to Oblivia and the contrast with all the vegetation in Noctilum hit me like a punch in the eyes (in a good way). Going around the open desert again as the godly music kicked in was truly amazing, I just forgot about everything and just spent some time there exploring the place for the nth time and truly feeling like I was in an adventure. This game gives me adventurous feelings I hadn´t felt since sailing around in the original Wind Waker with that epic ocean theme.

It´s great how NLA seems more populated and lively everytime I go back to it. After completing chapter 7 there are red ? marks popping up everywhere and all mission stories are well done and believable, they really sell you on the lives of the "people" living there. There´s goofy stuff like taking measures from some guys to create a new line of clothes, more spooky stuff like the water plant missions and everything in between. Here I thought that after 60+ hours I might have overdone it with missions and was going to have an empty second half of the game and I have barely scratched the surface.
This line of thinking cannot be expressed enough! I think if you like games you should play this game. There are far too many games where you know what you are gonna see find before you even play it. This game makes almost any other recent open world game seem almost linear.

Sometimes I feel spoiled with this game because I wanted Zelda U to give me this feeling first but I cannot deny X.

NeonZ

The game was initially designed with a proper main character though. In their Iwata Asks it was said that they initially did not have a mute avatar but an actual character for the lead role but halfway through development they scrapped all of that in favour of the mute protagonist and online since Takahashi was feeling lonely or something while playing single player games.

That's what I meant. The game's story was originally designed with an unique main character in mind, which is probably why the avatar seems so "thrown in" during the main story chapters, often having little presence. On the other hand, in the side content, then the avatar suddenly takes the spotlight, in spite of still being mute. I don't think they picked the role of a character with a voice and replaced that character with the avatar, I think they threw the avatar as an extra character on top of the plot that they had.

correojon

This line of thinking cannot be expressed enough! I think if you like games you should play this game. There are far too many games where you know what you are gonna see find before you even play it. This game makes almost any other recent open world game seem almost linear.

Sometimes I feel spoiled with this game because I wanted Zelda U to give me this feeling first but I cannot deny X.

Yeah, In open worlds you usually know what you´re going to find (another mountain, another road, another street...). With variations but with a set style. But here you are in an alien planet, everything is foreign and you could find next a huge floating rock, a cave with low level enemies, an alien base with strong mechas, a group of cute rabbit-like creatures chilling around a lake, an enormous dinosaur that´ll just ignore you...You can go from a dense fluorescent jungle to a barren open desert in a moment. Also, the transitions between zones are very well done, many people have said that they first thought they had just found a hidden cave when they first stepped into Noctilum and yesterday I went a few hexagons deep into Primordia on foot from Oblivia without noticing due to the smooth transition.

I was really excited for Zelda U´s open world, but it´s going to take a lot from it to impress me after this.

Jackano

I was really excited for Zelda U´s open world, but it´s going to take a lot from it to impress me after this.

Me too, especially because of Aonuma's quote about XCX impressing him.
I think they were technically behind and this may be a little part of the delay too (out side the obvious NX reason).
Also makes me believe Monolith team switched to help on Zelda U currently.

Anyone know what to do against this Neilnail Albus thing in the time attack mission? The twin dolls of mystery or something. That thing keeps healing like crazy I can beat on it all I want.

Malus

Yeah, In open worlds you usually know what you´re going to find (another mountain, another road, another street...). With variations but with a set style. But here you are in an alien planet, everything is foreign and you could find next a huge floating rock, a cave with low level enemies, an alien base with strong mechas, a group of cute rabbit-like creatures chilling around a lake, an enormous dinosaur that´ll just ignore you...You can go from a dense fluorescent jungle to a barren open desert in a moment. Also, the transitions between zones are very well done, many people have said that they first thought they had just found a hidden cave when they first stepped into Noctilum and yesterday I went a few hexagons deep into Primordia on foot from Oblivia without noticing due to the smooth transition.

There's no way Zelda's overworld will match up in terms of raw scale and spectacle, though I imagine you'll be able to interact with it more. The dungeons are the real star of the show anyways.

Aounuma teased some kind of twist to the open world too so we'll see.

Me too, especially because of Aonuma's quote about XCX impressing him.
I think they were technically behind and this may be a little part of the delay too (out side the obvious NX reason).
Also makes me believe Monolith team switched to help on Zelda U currently.
Me too, like straight up.. I wanna feel this in Zelda. The first time I went through the waterfalls in X into a big cave full of some shit I was like, "oh hell naw"
There's no way Zelda's overworld will match up in terms of raw scale and spectacle, though I imagine you'll be able to interact with it more. The dungeons are the real star of the show anyways.

Aounuma teased some kind of twist to the open world too so we'll see.
Im sure Aounuma meant by that was what he said originally by the puzzle begins in how you are set in Zelda U and from there have to figure out where you are going and how.

If he meant on the actual world design then I am scared he could pull a skyward sword kind of thing. Meaning he could do something like the same area is used over but depending what mask you are wearing or what lens you are using the world looks different.. dont want that.

ZeroX03

Banned
Zelda games have always been packed with secrets and contents. You can't go more than two screens in the 2D titles without something to do in them. Even a lot of the 3D overworlds are pretty tiny, except TP and WW. I expect Zelda U to be similar, smaller in size but doing a lot more. Xenoblade is about exploration on a macro level, while Zelda is on a micro level. (Did I use those terms correctly?)

to put things into perspective, Xenoblade X's overworld is leagues ahead of an overworld present on much more powerful systems which is MGS5's.

It is, but the traversal systems were very much designed around it. MGS5 requires restrictions as part of the stealth design and aspires to a realistic aesthetic in pretty bland areas. The closest comparison to X's world design I can think of is Guild Wars 2 which really emphasizes vertical levels and sight seeing in a well done package.

correojon

Zelda is a totally different beast that will benefit from being denser. I wouldn't fret about it, the two series have totally different styles.
I know I´ll love Zelda U, but talking just about the overworld part I´m afraid it won´t be able to surprise me as much as if I hadn´t played X.

Me too, like straight up.. I wanna feel this in Zelda. The first time I went through the waterfalls in X into a big cave full of some shit I was like, "oh hell naw"
Where is that waterfall? I swear I´ve tried going through all waterfalls I´ve found but have only found walls yet...

Im sure Aounuma meant by that was what he said originally by the puzzle begins in how you are set in Zelda U and from there have to figure out where you are going and how.

If he meant on the actual world design then I am scared he could pull a skyward sword kind of thing. Meaning he could do something like the same area is used over but depending what mask you are wearing or what lens you are using the world looks different.. dont want that.
I hope Zelda U will have some kind of unexpected twist to the overworld, something more than just making "outdoor dungeons" like in Skyward Sword. I have faith.

RagnarokX

Uh... that doesn't describe Skyward Sword at all. Each time you visit a region you travel to a new section of it that you couldn't reach before. The only time they reuse sections is for the Silent Realms, and those were great, and 2 of the 3 short third act fetch quests. Even the 3rd act trips to Faron and Eldin greatly changed the landscape.

The problem with something like X compared to Zelda is that X looks pretty but there's not a whole lot of meaningful interaction with the environment. I really enjoyed how getting from point A to point B in Skyward Sword took thought and skill.

correojon

Uh... that doesn't describe Skyward Sword at all. Each time you visit a region you travel to a new section of it that you couldn't reach before. The only time they reuse sections is for the Silent Realms, and those were great, and 2 of the 3 short third act fetch quests. Even the 3rd act trips to Faron and Eldin greatly changed the landscape.

The problem with something like X compared to Zelda is that X looks pretty but there's not a whole lot of meaningful interaction with the environment. I really enjoyed how getting from point A to point B in Skyward Sword took thought and skill.

I think ZeroX03 described it pretty well with X being "macroexploration" and Zelda being "microexploration". We will surely be getting a smaller but denser world in Zelda U and with interactions in a different scale to those in X. My only "complaint" (which only means that X is awesome) is that this "smaller" world may have felt huge before playing X.

I know I´ll love Zelda U, but talking just about the overworld part I´m afraid it won´t be able to surprise me as much as if I hadn´t played X.

Where is that waterfall? I swear I´ve tried going through all waterfalls I´ve found but have only found walls yet...

I hope Zelda U will have some kind of unexpected twist to the overworld, something more than just making "outdoor dungeons" like in Skyward Sword. I have faith.
There are those waterfalls in primordia where those big ass longnecks are always drinking water. I accidentally did a mission that took me there to kill some insects when I was low level.

Its not supposed to describe skyward sword exactly. Its a little similar though the design of reusing an area to create an alternative solution to whatever the game is throwing at you.

Shit I love skyward sword probably as much as you I ain't complaining about it.

And most to me you dont need alot of interaction in the environment . People always complain about that in open world as if they want to be doing something all the damn time. Its a world, theres gonna he time you have to traverse it. You dont need to be fighting a pack of flies and buying and selling stuff in peoples houses all the time to get one area to another.

XCX is proof there is a joy from discovering and enjoying an organic unknown environment. That is a joy itself. Miyamoto has described Zelda a long time ago as something that reminded him of his youth when he used to go in his back yard or whatever and find bugs and stuff and new areas. (Old as quote and too lazy to research it lol)

Something I find missing is that it seems there are no other cities other than NLA :/

When swimming to Sylvalum and seeing that big green orb I thought surely I'd find a city of some alien or something.

random25

Just got Nagi. He's cool as heck. Need to raise affinity for him.

Did not notice I can already ride a lvl50 skell. Looks like Tyrant hunting did buff me a bit lol. So what's the most popular lvl50 frame here?

Golnei

Something I find missing is that it seems there are no other cities other than NLA :/

When swimming to Sylvalum and seeing that big green orb I thought surely I'd find a city of some alien or something.

NLA being so central and solitary is actually something I don't mind - it centralises a lot of the side content and allows them to characterise the NPCs there a little more effectively - seeing NLA grow throughout the game is a little more impactful than seeing minor changes in more numerous, smaller settlements.

Though more things like the Nopon caravans would be welcome.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I think it would have been a nice addition to the game with suggested level at story chapters. Chapter 4 already have you traverse passages with high level indigens and the chapter boss is no joke if you more or less run through the game

RagnarokX

I think ZeroX03 described it pretty well with X being "macroexploration" and Zelda being "microexploration". We will surely be getting a smaller but denser world in Zelda U and with interactions in a different scale to those in X. My only "complaint" (which only means that X is awesome) is that this "smaller" world may have felt huge before playing X.

Getting a skell does a lot to diminish the sense of scale of XCX's world. It felt huge before getting one and then after getting one it felt pretty small. From what I've seen of Zelda U I have confidence that it will be much denser, though I unfortunately doubt it will have the clever challenges of Skyward Sword and will be closer to Twilight Princess.

There are those waterfalls in primordia where those big ass longnecks are always drinking water. I accidentally did a mission that took me there to kill some insects when I was low level.

Its not supposed to describe skyward sword exactly. Its a little similar though the design of reusing an area to create an alternative solution to whatever the game is throwing at you.

Shit I love skyward sword probably as much as you I ain't complaining about it.

And most to me you dont need alot of interaction in the environment . People always complain about that in open world as if they want to be doing something all the damn time. Its a world, theres gonna he time you have to traverse it. You dont need to be fighting a pack of flies and buying and selling stuff in peoples houses all the time to get one area to another.

XCX is proof there is a joy from discovering and enjoying an organic unknown environment. That is a joy itself. Miyamoto has described Zelda a long time ago as something that reminded him of his youth when he used to go in his back yard or whatever and find bugs and stuff and new areas. (Old as quote and too lazy to research it lol)

In an open world like XCX's it is fun to run around and explore it, but so much of it is empty space and your only real interaction with it is to look at it. In a game like Zelda, especially Skyward Sword, your way is impeded and you have to do something to move forward. Stuff like blow up a rock or defeat an enemy to use its shell as a foothold. I like finding a pretty waterfall in XCX, but it feels hollow compared to Zelda where finding something cool usually has more to it than looking pretty. Especially since XCX cuts down on development costs by reusing the same structures and enemies in every area.

It's not that you need to constantly be doing something, but it's nice when the world is a challenge to conquer rather than a sandbox. The only thing impeding you in XCX are the enemies, and I was able to explore pretty much every square inch of Mira possible on foot before getting a Skell by running past the enemies. XCX doesn't really have the systems in place the kind of environmental interaction found in Zelda; pretty much just run and jump. Zelda has items and stuff. Using them to interact with the environment to produce different outcomes is pretty much the nuts and bolts of the franchise.

ZeroX03

Banned
I think it would have been a nice addition to the game with suggested level at story chapters. Chapter 4 already have you traverse passages with high level indigens and the chapter boss is no joke if you more or less run through the game

The affinity missions you have to do before starting the story missions have level requirements to give you an idea of how tough things will be.

The level spread of indigens in general annoys me. I must've died at least a hundred times to random big things jumping out at me. Greatly prefer Xenoblade relegating that to the optional areas although that really isn't an option for open world.

Who thought appears rarely tyrants were a clever idea? Having been told the tyrant to kill in the mechanical level 5 quest is far easier than one I had to take down for a duplicator probe (as Elma said in that tutorial screen back in chapter 3, size matters) I'm planning to go for it (even though I'm one level away from being able to use a level 50 Skell which would make it easier still).

I suppose plan can be get to its spot and return to skell until it spawns.

What do you want to maximize? Cash or miranium? And what probes do you have up? Many use oblivia as their money center, but I personally make over 300 k using cauldros for money, but that only works if you've gotten all the cauldros data probes installed
I better get exploring that region more then. I have most the data probe sites there but nothing on them apart from a few data probes and battle probes. Looking at the spreadsheets seems two of the best battle probe sites are out of the way but the others are all on prime duplicator spots.

Arttemis

Huh, you're probably mixing up stuff. You press X to go from melee to range. The ring is triggered with B. If you press it at the right moment, when the shinning bit is inside the darker "ring" area, rather than around it or in the middle, you'll get TP (used for some special Arts with "TP" written on them) and also build affinity with the other characters.

The digital manual is required reading (accessed through the home button). There are many mechanics/controls in there that aren't really explained (at least right away) while playing. It's very helpful.

The QTE prompt is part of Soul Voices. Try to time the button press to hit the interior edge of the circle. The QTE will get progressively harder the longer battle goes on. The manual will explain the exact mechanics of a Soul Voice better than I could.

As to weapons, you have two weapon slots--ranged and melee. Your arts (aka skills) are tied to specific weapons, which you will draw when using them. Press X to switch between them or B to sheathe them (useful if you need to run).

Definitely. XBCX makes me want to explore.

There have been a couple really fun jumping puzzles that make me savour exploration. It feels like nothing is truly off limits, so long as I'm clever enough.
Thanks for the replies and explanations! I really am enjoying what I've experienced so far, so understanding what's going on can only increase that experience!

Blackage

Ok, maybe I'm missing something, but a great deal of my missions atm are "Go out and collect x item from x continent." This gives you no big yellow arrow or location and usually ends up being some random shit on the ground in a floating crystal. Is there anyway to actually track where the hell I can collect said items from? Or is it intended to be something I randomly scoop up?

Shahadan

Ok, maybe I'm missing something, but a great deal of my missions atm are "Go out and collect x item from x continent." This gives you no big yellow arrow or location and usually ends up being some random shit on the ground in a floating crystal. Is there anyway to actually track where the hell I can collect said items from? Or is it intended to be something I randomly scoop up?

Randomly. You could look up on the internet the specific objects to have an idea as well.

NeonZ

Generally, for those types of basic missions, rather than taking them and going to explore, just gather many items while exploring and afterwards go see what can be redeemed. Sometimes they pop up in the middle of larger quests though, but in those cases generally you can get information from the npc quest giver, although there are a couple of exceptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom