• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

Say what you want about the WiiU hardware but I haven't been this gobsmacked by an open world in a very, very long time and I play a bloody load of open world games every year. Pure art direction is taking hold here and the vistas and skyboxes that X has are a sight to behold. Get the feeling my playtime is going to be inflated somewhat.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I just had the probes explained. Started messing around with the map, and didn't realize that the new LA continent was just one of the smaller ones. This game is going to be incredible.

Is there any way to adjust the music volume? It's so loud it drowns out cutscene conversations.

Yarbskoo

Where do you upload screenshots to? I tried flickr but it just sits there uploading with the progress bar not moving at all.

Letep

In store pick up order for the collector's edition is at my local Gamestop. I ordered it online, for in store pickup, and still went down to put $20 on it. Called today and it's there. Has anyone determined if the USB is actually usable? I heard you can't add files to it. Any way, very excited to play.

Qurupeke

Damn, unless I'm missing something, the method of getting the white cometite sucks. I spend like 2 hours waiting for it in order to complete the affinity quest.

bronk

Banned
I keep reading about the small text. Thats a bummer. Its a huge annoyance to me and I dont like playing games off the game pad.

MihowZa

Banned
Oh good 50 minutes to install updates after a 55 min download

... oh wait 59 minutes, oh wait an hour and 12 minutes to install, after being @ 12 min 10 minutes ago

Attempting to maintain hype

aravuus

So, about side quests: should I periodically go around NLA and talk to every NPC, or do they always have the quest icon on top of their heads if they actually have something for me to do?

Lot of fun dialogue to read, sure, but I don't think I have the patience to go through everyone multiple times

Waji

So, about side quests: should I periodically go around NLA and talk to every NPC, or do they always have the quest icon on top of their heads if they actually have something for me to do?

Lot of fun dialogue to read, sure, but I don't think I have the patience to go through everyone multiple times
Talking to NPC is already a good idea, not even for quests, but to update relationship between them as well as with playble ones . But also to learn everything about the background. Some important stuff is learned only from NPC dialogs here and there (at least if the translation is good enough since I played in Japanese).

aravuus

Talking to NPC is already a good idea, not even for quests, but to update relationship between them as well as with playble ones . But also to learn everything about the background. Some important stuff is learned only from NPC dialogs here and there (at least if the translation is good enough since I played in Japanese).

Alright, I'll make sure to go around and check on people every now and then

Not_Mario

Neo Member
I've been playing all afternoon and finished chapter 3 but now I need to take a break. Am I mostly past the standing around the table exposition tutorial part of the game?

Waji

Alright, I'll make sure to go around and check on people every now and then
Oh and sorry I forgot to answer the question ah ah.
All of the quests can be seen on the radar as red question marks.
Some of them can be found on the Quest Board (not a lot) and some people will give you clue with yellow smiley quotes above there head (you probably found a few already).

I've been avoiding this thread since I don't have my copy yet, but I'm not sure if the Gamereactor interview with Takahashi has been posted yet. It's a good read but here are some of the parts that stood out to me.
Here there's a custom avatar instead of a preset character (as with Shulk in Xenoblade Chronicles). How did this change the scriptwriting and narrative processes? And how did you make sure the main character and supporting cast had lots of personality?

In RPG development, the sections that cost the most are the cut scenes and events in the main story. Since this is Monolith Soft's first high-definition open world title, we decided to focus less on these and instead shift our resources into improving the quality of the gameplay - which is most important - especially the "hack and slash" combat. This is the reason that we decided to make the player's character an avatar without a real personality. In exchange, we focused on designing lots of quests, and added a lot of supporting characters related to these. Many people in the development team were involved with these supporting characters, and I think we have been able to give them all strong, distinct personalities.

Takahashi already said he wants his next project to have a larger emphasis on the main story, but I think this is the first time he mentioned it for the Xenoblade series, specifically:
I've heard that some Japanese users who played Xenoblade Chronicles X said they enjoyed a more story-driven type of game. So if we have the opportunity to make another game in the series, I'd like to made another typical JRPG-style game like Xenoblade Chronicles again.
The Xenoblade series has always had a different genre for each game, with the previous game being fantasy, and now turning to science fiction. I hope we will be able to continue the series like this, exploring lots of different settings, rather than being confined to a specific genre.

TheMoon

How do i hear just the audio with headphones with having to go into offscreen play?

Not possible.

Where do you upload screenshots to? I tried flickr but it just sits there uploading with the progress bar not moving at all.

abload.de / imgur.com

I know, but I don't know of any other site that will do direct uploads from the console.

abload.de (no compression)

site's in German but I think figuring out the "browse" and "upload" button is easy :)

Alright gaf, I spent more than an hour playing around with the character creator and now I'm left with 3 candidates:

l3Dpo4J.jpg

dh90dA7.jpg

g85SC6V.jpg

I'm really partial towards all of them so I can't really decide.

Tailzo

Just started downloading all the packs.

Gow do I set it to always start in offscreen? Maybe there is an universal button combo, but I rarely play my wiiu so I don't know.

There's a small handful of quests that require you to have spoken to certain NPCs at least once, so as long as you don't completely ignore people you should be fine.

Effect

Finally home and able to open my special edition. The flash drive is a lot heavier then I expected it to be and feels really nice. The art book is also bigger then I expected as well. Now to play. :)

Sölf

So, I am now roughly 5 hous in. Joined the +melee damage group (Harriers...?) and after that did like 2 hours sidequests and stuff. And I still have the feeling I understand like nothing. xD
Since Multiplayer isn't unlocked, would it make more sense to follow the story until at least that is unlocked? How long does that actually take? There is so much stuff to do, like , holy shit! I have no idea what items are good because they all have passive effects and different resistances and I am leveling up skills which I may not user ever again later on and aaaaah! xD

El Odio

Banned
"You're gonna love this."
I don't know how many times I've seen that discovery of Mira scene but seeing it now and being able to actually explore... god damn, we're finally here guys. After 3 long years we've found our new home.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
So far, this game is fucking amazing. I haven't experienced much beyond the initial 2h, since I just started this evening. But I'm very pleasantly surprised by everything I've seen so far. This even includes the character's faces, which many people have been very critical of. I've been on the fence about them, but seeing the faces and their characters acting out fun dialogue in the actual game made me appreciate them and think they are part of great character models. Hyperbole, overreactive shitposts like this be damned:
No matter how many times I see it, and even when I know it's coming, and even when I know what to expect, I am never prepared for Lin's character model.

I have a legitimate physical reaction, it makes my stomach churn and my hair stand up.

I cannot work past or through the repulsion. I have never reacted this way to something so innocuous before. But that face, and that body, triggers a genuine sense of disgust for me.

I don't know if I'll be able to play the game. If I'm not over it now, perhaps I will never be. Maybe I shouldn't be trying to get over it, either.

Although, as has been pointed out, a helmet is certainly an option.
Melodramatic posts like these have extremely exaggerated the response to what is, in my opinion, a pretty cool art style in line with previous Xeno* games that I like more than most other stylised J/WRPGS in recent memory.

69wpm

Well, I chose Interceptors (and Enforcer class) because I'm interested in ranged combat. So far it works well. Need to level up a bit more to get more skills. I'm level 10 right now.

komorebi

Melodramatic posts like these have extremely exaggerated the response to what is, in my opinion, a pretty cool art style in line with previous Xeno* games that I like more than most other stylised J/WRPGS in recent memory.

^ LOL I remember that post, funny you should dig it up. Melodrama at its finest.

Jims

Fun game so far... Finished the prologue and am about to get lost in New L.A. I like how they give you those abilities to Topple and Damage Boost when Toppled at the beginning, to give an easy little combo to figure out. It's kind of rare to play a Nintendo game that doesn't specifically point this out, and let the player figure out how the Arts work together.

Doing manual melee attacks in this game really makes me miss having the Monado, though. :(

Found the manual camera speed really slow, so the first thing I did was turn that camera speed to the max. So much better.

Mupod

picked up a copy from EB during lunch because apparently having two goddamned preorders from different retailers wasn't enough to ensure I'd have the game day 1. I'll have to return it (cost 85 dollars...) but I changed the future and saved my weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom