• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know of a resource that could or if one would be willing to here, give me a breakdown of the different types of armor and why one might be worthwhile over another?

What I mean is this:

Blade vs Light vs Medium vs. Heavy (Others too)

What's the benefit of the type? It is irrelevant and it's just that some tend to carry elemental resistances and the others are based on raw physical defense?

There just seems to be so much armor, and it feels like the differences between them are minimal. I've got to be missing something.

burgerdog

I've explored the hell out of the game and only make about 80k using that Oblivia spot. I need research probes that are 5+ to make real bank. I can't find any website detailing where to get high level research probes.

Seiru

Banned
Is there a better way to get a lot of BP than fighting dudes? Starting a new class feels extremely punishing when all the new arts you learn start at level 1.

random25

Is there a better way to get a lot of BP than fighting dudes? Starting a new class feels extremely punishing when all the new arts you learn start at level 1.

Filling Collectopedia, opening archaeological/biological treasures. Though those don't really do as much as doing actual battles.

Luigi87

Okay, just got the Environment and Enemy data packs installed.

Holy crap I wish I knew about these 45 game hours ago. The load times are so much faster @_@

depward

Beat Xenoblade 3DS this week so finally starting this.

Loving it but DAMN all kinds of systems in place and just kinda going with the flow for now.

Also will echo the text being tiny tiny good lord. Never have complained about text before in a video game but this is crazy.

First hour spoilers:

I thought it was so cool when we went to the cliff and the rain lifted and we spent a good min or two looking over the environment. VERY cool.

zroid

Banned
Does anyone know of a resource that could or if one would be willing to here, give me a breakdown of the different types of armor and why one might be worthwhile over another?

What I mean is this:

What's the benefit of the type? It is irrelevant and it's just that some tend to carry elemental resistances and the others are based on raw physical defense?

There just seems to be so much armor, and it feels like the differences between them are minimal. I've got to be missing something.

The main difference outside of the obvious (defence, traits, resistances) is upgrade slots

the lighter armors can be upgraded more times

Chaos17

What I mean is this:

For example : heavy armor has high defense but you can't put more than 1 augment on them while on other types you can.
That's what I observed, not sure if they're anything else.

Edit : beaten

Also, I'm pretty sure I dreamed about some kind of Nopon mafia murder mystery last night...

You've some dark dream, lol

Golnei

Filling Collectopedia, opening archaeological/biological treasures. Though those don't really do as much as doing actual battles.

And in the worst case scenario, you can always switch out one of your weapons to one from a mastered class tree in order to use your higher-leveled arts while you generate BP.

How do you guys position your camera? Way out? Do you adjust it upward to see more of the landscape?

Usually default, but I tend to use the first-person view for voiced cutscenes with camera control - it's preferable to having to look at your party members standing silent and unresponsive around you.

How the hell do you defeat the chapter 9 boss? At level 37 even with lowering the difficulty I get annihilated. They seem to have like a billion hitpoints.

rhandino

Banned
How do you guys position your camera? Way out? Do you adjust it upward to see more of the landscape?
Depends, while traveling I leave it at a medium distance but when fighting I tend to adjust it a little according to the size of the enemies to get a better feel of my position.

Qurupeke

Sooo...

Hi GAF.

5txDv3P.jpg
Still missing the arm parts, but it's more or less ready to display...

Even my character can't believe that I spend so many tickets on this instead of a Prog Ares... And so many Telethia deaths for a bunny...

It even has a fluffy tail though.

Finalow

ok, got the free Skell.

now I suppose I need to reach level 30 before buying an actual good one, when I do, what Skell and what weapons should I get? Iirc I read somewhere that the G-buster is good for one-shotting a lot of level 40-50 mobs.

Dineren

Banned
How the hell do you defeat the chapter 9 boss? At level 37 even with lowering the difficulty I get annihilated. They seem to have like a billion hitpoints.

For the first part I had been saving up my bp and at that point was finally forced to use it to upgrade my arts/skills. Other than that, I just killed the weak ones first then concentrated on the stronger two. If you have consumables to boost tension, you can max it out before the fight to give you a boost.

The second part was pretty easy, I just attacked the mech until he went invincible then just kill the adds.

random25

And in the worst case scenario, you can always switch out one of your weapons to one from a mastered class tree in order to use your higher-leveled arts while you generate BP.

That, and also ride a skell if you already have one and nuke critters on your way to collecting easy BP.

For the first part I had been saving up my bp and at that point was finally forced to use it to upgrade my arts/skills. Other than that, I just killed the weak ones first then concentrated on the stronger two. If you have consumables to boost tension, you can max it out before the fight to give you a boost.

The second part was pretty easy, I just attacked the mech until he went invincible then just kill the adds.

Okay, thanks. I had been saving up by BP, but that was because I wanted to wait until I unlocked another class that I was working to. I was trying to blitz through to get the flight module, but I think I may just need to go do some other stuff for a while. Or spend my BP, I think I have around 150 points saved up.

Can someone explain to me how armour equipment works? Can you equip one of each type of armour? (Ie head, left arm, right arm, torso, legs). Whenever I go to the shop to buy a left arm mitt or something it I equips all my body armour so only the mitt can be equipped. Do they have to be matching types of armour or something or can you only equip a certain amount at a time?

Mashing

The basic mission difficuly rating is really bad. I got two star hunting mission with lv 38 enemies and a 6 star hunting mission with lv 11 enemies.

Correct me I'm wrong but I think the bigger stars indicates 6+ so a Mission that has one big star and one small one is a 8 difficulty and 6 small stars is 6 difficulty. I could be wrong.

Kaname

Is there a quest to get the three specialization to Rank 5?
I'm currently rank 9 but want to place those Rank 5 probes so bad :O

Xenoboy

I got so wrecked by that monster in
"A Friend In Need"
mission. I was even one level above it. Got it after 3 times though :p

Vecks

Can someone explain to me how armour equipment works? Can you equip one of each type of armour? (Ie head, left arm, right arm, torso, legs). Whenever I go to the shop to buy a left arm mitt or something it I equips all my body armour so only the mitt can be equipped. Do they have to be matching types of armour or something or can you only equip a certain amount at a time?

It depends on the gear. The ones you buy in store should be one each per section. Some however may include other parts. For example, the school uniform will take up all slots except for the head. A turtleneck will take up the torso and arms, but won't include leg gear. Some npcs will start with gear that may include sleeves. You can see what parts it includes by looking at the little green icon on the info window. If you are wearing a type of gear that covers multiple parts, then the whole thing will be taken off when you swap with a piece of gear that's only a section.

It depends on the gear. The ones you buy in store should be one each per section. Some however may include other parts. For example, the school uniform will take up all slots except for the head. A turtleneck will take up the torso and arms, but won't include leg gear. Some npcs will start with gear that may include sleeves. You can see what parts it includes by looking at the little green icon on the info window. If you are wearing a type of gear that covers multiple parts, then the whole thing will be taken off when you swap with a piece of gear that's only a section.

....this game. Are you referring to how some armour has a green icon with sections highlighted? I never even noticed that before. Do you get told this in game?

boxter432

one at a time. some Torso items take up torso and both arms, or torse, both arms and legs (such as a uniform or suit). if you buy a left arm item and equip it, it only is equipping your left arm.

boxter432

Oh. I thought it was related to the question you are asked just before getting your license. That blue/red cable mission really traumatized me. :,(

haha.

yeah you buy more skell frames, and then go to your barracks, go to the customization console (where you can change lights/color scheme) and assign a skell to a party member. there you can customize the skell colors as well.

edit: sorry for double post..

Malus

There's three tiers of exploration: on foot, in skell, and flying. My least favorite of the three by far was traveling on foot. There's just so much space between interesting landmarks when you're on foot. Holding back the skells does make for a great feeling of liberation once you get them, though. Flying around the world is just a joy.

I'm the opposite. Getting the Skells and eventually getting flight is a neat way to open up more areas, but I'm exploring as much as I can on foot first. It's cool to see what you can reach with your minimum abilities. I'll be flying around and plotting ways to trek my way up places.

Vecks

....this game. Are you referring to how some armour has a green icon with sections highlighted? I never even noticed that before. Do you get told this in game?

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Though, you can usually tell what parts it'll take up since it's pretty self-explanatory. I'm not sure if it's explained.

The same rule kind of applies to skells too. Some weapons will take up more slots.

About to start Chapter 11. I have to say that I really enjoy Elma's character so far. Some people may not like stoic but I do. I look forward to more affinity missions with her so i can figure out her back story.

Am I the only one who regularly plays as Elma as well? She racks up a ton of damage and I enjoy using her while letting Cross level up his class. I would've been fine if she was the main character of this game (which she kind of already is).

rhandino

Banned
Sometimes these requirements are extra redundant. If I can only have three characters in my party, including my protagonist, and am required to bring Lin and Elma... it's not even possible to fit Gwin or Irina.
Well, you can bring a 4th character so that requirement shows that beyond Elma and Lin you can't bring Irina or Gwin with you but you can bring Doug, Lao, etc..

Most of the time, I think, it's because the quest is related to them doing things with their teams or they are gone away.

random25

About to start Chapter 11. I have to say that I really enjoy Elma's character so far. Some people may not like stoic but I do. I look forward to more affinity missions with her so i can figure out her back story.

Am I the only one who regularly plays as Elma as well? She racks up a ton of damage and I enjoy using her while letting Cross level up his class. I would've been fine if she was the main character of this game (which she kind of already is).

I enjoy Elma's character as well. She's supposed to be at Nagi's level political-wise so she exudes that calm and collected aura around her.

And I like having her with my team as well. For what it was, her soul voice really matches my play style and arts while Lin responds to most of my soul voice, quickly racking up those affinity levels. And I love playing the FMJ class so I'm maining Elma on some missions as well.

Well, you can bring a 4th character so that requirement shows that beyond Elma and Lin you can't bring Irina or Gwin with you but you can bring Doug, Lao, etc..

Most of the time, I think, it's because the quest is related to them doing things with their teams or they are gone away.

No, I can't bring a fourth character. It's a 3-member quest. I literally can not have a fourth member and be able to initiate the quest.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
is there a guide in doing probe types and chaining them the "right" way?

also where is this probe that is apparently in NLA?

The main difference outside of the obvious (defence, traits, resistances) is upgrade slots

the lighter armors can be upgraded more times

For example : heavy armor has high defense but you can't put more than 1 augment on them while on other types you can.
That's what I observed, not sure if they're anything else.

Thanks a lot!

Does it feel like all the armor types play a relevant role? Like the extra augments balance the lack of defense?

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Though, you can usually tell what parts it'll take up since it's pretty self-explanatory. I'm not sure if it's explained.

The same rule kind of applies to skells too. Some weapons will take up more slots.

one at a time. some Torso items take up torso and both arms, or torse, both arms and legs (such as a uniform or suit). if you buy a left arm item and equip it, it only is equipping your left arm.

Thanks! This game has so many little idiosyncrasies it's hard to wrap your head around them all.

brau

Is the guide for this any good? I remember a post earlier in the thread talking about how incomplete it was. This still holds up? I think i will need one to find pieces and whatever like in MH4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom