• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malus

No game has ever had me swing from feelings of crushing disappointment to "oh my god this is the best thing ever" like Xenoblade X has. Just back and forth. Hooooooo boy.

So what gives. I found a
Lifehold Unit in the northern end of Primordia and no one seems to care.

Possible Spoilers

Yeah, I found that before I even did Chapter 4, so I wasn't sure what it was at the time, but I was like "This looks important. Why is the game treating it like some random rock." It's even drawn on the map like a tiny island.

I haven't had the time to get far enough to know if it ever gets addressed.

So... apparently this game doesn't autosave. You'd think after 80 hours of playtime I would have noticed. I just lost 4 hours of progress because the game locked up. As much fun as I've had with the game I don't think I can keep going. Was just about to get my Skell flying license too. Oh well, Was fun while it lasted.

Tyeforce

ok I believe it's pretty broken how you can grind you way from 30 to 50 in one or two hours. thank you, level 30 Skell weapons~
I'm probably stopping at 45 because I'm still in chapter 7, and having a level 50 Skell there is probably too much, lol. not to mention that I bought my first level 30 Skell 2 hours ago.
May I ask where and how you're grinding levels so fast? I've not had much luck with grinding, personally.

Regiruler

And you're a psycho :)

I play Mastermind so probably accurate.

I'm still reeling from that Chapter 5 revelation. I'm glad that I had a fairly basic equipment set on because that cut scene is probably one of the few times where the avatar's facial expressions felt appropriate.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
So... apparently this game doesn't autosave. You'd think after 80 hours of playtime I would have noticed. I just lost 4 hours of progress because the game locked up. As much fun as I've had with the game I don't think I can keep going. Was just about to get my Skell flying license too. Oh well, Was fun while it lasted.

This game would put the player in some terrible situations if it auto saved. Sucks you forgot to save and are quitting near the end.

Regiruler

So after almost 40 hours in the game I have no idea what my division actually does gameplay wise.

If prospector: insurance card
If anything else: complain about people who bandwagoned onto prospector

I thought they'd be actual factions, much like I thought squad would be an actual guild. Both disappointments.

Kurdel

Banned
Lost my gamepad charge cable, can't start a game because my Wii U is offline and I can't dismiss the error message.

Can't connect to the Settings screen, because it is gamepad exclusive.

Such an obtuse console, holy shit it's the worst.

I want to play this game so bad, they should say it requires online connection to play.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Lost my gamepad charge cable, can't start a game because my Wii U is offline and I can't dismiss the error message.

I want to play this game so bad, they should say it requires online connection to play.

You lost the power cable to a vital part of the system. Likely tons of games won't be able to be played now. Go buy another cable and don't lose it this time; I'm sure they are cheap.

I've heard and made many complaints about this console. But this one is all on you.

The game does not require an online connection to play. Your issue is with the console itself and that absolutely requires the game pad to operate.

how did you manage to lost the charger in the 1st place? :O

Kindekuma

Banned
I got Xenoblade Chronicles X yesterday as a gift from a friend.

Having finished the first XC, there's so much DEPTH to the gameplay than before. It's overwhelming but not in a bad sense for me. Kind of disappointed that Tatsu doesn't fight unlike the great Heropon Riki.

I just reached the second main area and I have NO idea how to get to my objective, too many high rock walls preventing any progress.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I got Xenoblade Chronicles X yesterday as a gift from a friend.

Having finished the first XC, there's so much DEPTH to the gameplay than before. It's overwhelming but not in a bad sense for me. Kind of disappointed that Tatsu doesn't fight unlike the great Heropon Riki.

I just reached the second main area and I have NO idea how to get to my objective, too many high rock walls preventing any progress.

Use the ball thing. Hold R and press triangle (not sure what this is on the wii backwards lettering)

You know that psychedelic yellow/purple lake in Cauldros?

Well I was there for a quest and you know how when there is a cutscene, all the monsters disappear in the shot as the scene loads? Well, I noticed that there was something glowing where the giant man-eating plant thing was.

So I decided to investigate by walking slowly into the plant in first person mode (because you get knocked away if you run into it) and I discovered something amazing:

lknPHKg.jpg

This is a more zoomed out picture:

Unfortunately I'm too low level to kill the plant seeing as it's a lvl 60 Tyrant. But that'll be the first thing I do when I get some strong ass skells

Kyzon

You know that psychedelic yellow/purple lake in Cauldros?

Well I was there for a quest and you know how when there is a cutscene, all the monsters disappear in the shot as the scene loads? Well, I noticed that there was something glowing where the giant man-eating plant thing was.

So I decided to investigate by walking slowly into the plant in first person mode (because you get knocked away if you run into it) and I discovered something amazing:

This is a more zoomed out picture:

Unfortunately I'm too low level to kill the plant seeing as it's a lvl 60 Tyrant. But that'll be the first thing I do when I get some strong ass skells

It teleports you to a certain place where there's a strongish enemy. I glitched the game somehow and every enemy disappeared from the map. I just walked on in to get my shit kicked in.

El Odio

Banned
So what's the best level to tackle Chapter 9 at? Currently 37 and I'd like to be closer to the more recommended level because being 35 for chapter 8 removed basically any tension from all the fights because I just stomped everything.

Kyzon

So what's the best level to tackle Chapter 9 at? Currently 37 and I'd like to be closer to the more recommended level because being 35 for chapter 8 removed basically any tension from all the fights because I just stomped everything.

like 42 with a good grasp on your skills imo.

Zomba13

So what gives. I found a
Lifehold Unit in the northern end of Primordia and no one seems to care.

Possible Spoilers

If you see stuff like that and it isn't addressed immediately then it's either main or side story related and will be brought up eventually. It does kinda break immersion when you find something important but the game is like "shhhhh... ignore this.".

Golnei

If you see stuff like that and it isn't addressed immediately then it's either main or side story related and will be brought up eventually. It does kinda break immersion when you find something important but the game is like "shhhhh... ignore this.".

It might have been a good idea for them to assume the player could have stumbled on it already -
like with the one near the falls in Oblivia, if they had referred to it as having been already discovered but not retrieved or analysed in that chapter briefing
, it wouldn't have been as much of a plot hole. It's a pretty minor thing, but since they made the decision to give the player the ability to find them early on, they should have tried to write around that wherever possible.

AnnTiPa

Damn, that high huh? Good thing the sidequests that keep popping up give me an excuse to take the time to grind.

42 is way too high in my opinion. I'm going to start chapter 11 next and I'm 39 with my highest party members being 35-37. Just start the mission and grind levels later if necessary.

As someone who is still before Chapter 4, am close to level 29 and have reaching all 5 continents and put like 80% of probes on the first three continents objects like this come up a tiny bit.

Still not as annoying as Skyward Sword where from exploring I clearly found small quest items that stood out from the scenary and couldn't interact with them at all until the quest actually came up.

At least all the objects I see early I this game are of a size where it make sense that I couldn't pocket them.

liking the game a lot overall right now, but holy crap i've never heard a soundtrack so hit and miss. there is some good stuff in here, and then there is some god awful stuff. really strange

Zomba13

It might have been a good idea for them to assume the player could have stumbled on it already -
like with the one near the falls in Oblivia, if they had referred to it as having been already discovered but not retrieved or analysed in that chapter briefing
, it wouldn't have been as much of a plot hole. It's a pretty minor thing, but since they made the decision to give the player the ability to find them early on, they should have tried to write around that wherever possible.

Yeah. An easy way would be something like "We've located
several pieces of the Lifehold but don't know which one is the core. It will take time before we can access them"
and just have the missions where you find them turn into missions where you access them locally. The story plays out exactly the same, you feel cool for finding something and it doesn't get in the way of lot details when it's a big deal they've finally located something you were jumping on 10 hours ago.

El Odio

Banned
I mean they couldn't even bother to give party members dialogue at any point in cutscenes or discussions where they weren't required so I'm not surprised they didn't make some kind of alternative for these situations either. Granted, there's a crap ton of characters in the game so that'd probably be more work but still.

42 is way too high in my opinion. I'm going to start chapter 11 next and I'm 39 with my highest party members being 35-37. Just start the mission and grind levels later if necessary.
That's what I was kind of figuring in retrospect since 10 whole levels over the previous chapter's boss seemed like a massive leap in difficulty.

Golnei

I mean they couldn't even bother to give party members dialogue at any point in cutscenes or discussions where they weren't required so I'm not surprised they didn't make some kind of alternative for these situations either. Granted, there's a crap ton of characters in the game so that'd probably be more work but still.

That was clearly just a budget/time thing, given how many possible combinations you could have - though it wouldn't have hurt to give certain party members dialogue in scenes where most players will have them in the party, like Lao in Chapter 4; they probably wouldn't have been able to give non-essential party members dialogue in the vast majority of cases without having costs balloon. I would have liked to see a few interjections during text-only exchanges in affinity missions, though - there's already something similar implemented where having certain characters in your party adds to or alters conversations with some NPCs. But again, the amount of work to make it anywhere near substantial would probably be prohibitive unless they gave them stock dialogue, which misses the whole point of wanting your other party members to have more presence - unless they did something similar to how affinity increases in conversations in accordance with your responses, and had 2 or 3 alternate lines in the script for text-only scenes, which would only be said if one of the characters they're tied to is in the party.

With the
Lifehold thing, I wasn't suggesting alternate dialogue so much as writing a scenario which made sense whether the player had run into the pieces or not.

So I understood that to get the red shield down in the Sylvalum cave, you need to do a quest called Professorial from Professor B? Anyone know where to find that? I unlocked the AM he has and all that, now he just stands around his lab in the industrial district.

Kadin

Finally someone said something about the text size:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...es_x_has_tiny_text_-_time_for_an_update#reply

Also yay for me finally getting a Y cable for external HDD. Didnt know i'd have to move my save file to the HDD to actually use the download packs though.
There was an article a while back, well before the Dec 4th release, about Monolith responding to the text issue in the JP version and basically saying they were attributing it to being new to HD gaming and will use the feedback going forward with other games. Basically that came across to me as though they aren't doing anything else for this game with regards to patching/fixing it. I'll try to add the link back in if I can find it.

El Odio

Banned
That was clearly just a budget/time thing, given how many possible combinations you could have - though it wouldn't have hurt to give certain party members dialogue in scenes where most players will have them in the party, like Lao in Chapter 4; they probably wouldn't have been able to give non-essential party members dialogue in the vast majority of cases without having costs balloon. I would have liked to see a few interjections during text-only exchanges in affinity missions, though - there's already something similar implemented where having certain characters in your party adds to or alters conversations with some NPCs. But again, the amount of work to make it anywhere near substantial would probably be prohibitive unless they gave them stock dialogue, which misses the whole point of wanting your other party members to have more presence - unless they did something similar to how affinity increases in conversations in accordance with your responses, and had 2 or 3 alternate lines in the script for text-only scenes, which would only be said if one of the characters they're tied to is in the party.

With the
Lifehold thing, I wasn't suggesting alternate dialogue so much as writing a scenario which made sense whether the player had run into the pieces or not.
I mean, like I said I'm aware I'd probably be far too much extra work and require more costs but there are some points were I've felt that some kind of interaction from an extra party member would be nice. Namely, and I'm pretty sure I mentioned this before, but in chapter 5 when Elma, Lin, and Tatsu are talking about their different languages and the like Lin directly mentions L and talks about him for a bit while he happened to be in my party standing right there. Of course he said nothing since he wasn't a required character but it really took me out of the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom