• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard that you can change the appearance of your character at some point in the game. Does someone know if/when/how you can do this?

Not happy with what I have now and don't want to restart...

Malus

Holy shit that sprinting jump.

Sorry, I'm just oohing and ahhing at everything and I've barely started.

edit: I can jump over small ledges! Thank god lol.

R0ckman

Is the game really selling out? Don't seem to be noticing any shortages in my area. I was able to grab my copy and guide with no fuss.

MihowZa

Banned
Well I'm an hour in. Should probably move on from this tiny tiny sliver of land but I can't stop attacking things! Especially the sleepy bugs.

Raven77

So, I've been on the fence about this game for awhile. On one hand a lot of the various systems look interesting and the world looks massive and beautiful. On the other hand, I'm not a fan of a long game just for the sake of a long game. If a game starts to drag out or get repetitive, I'll lose interest quickly, unless the game feel is amazing (as a recent example, see the wingsuiting in Just Cause 3).

I recently read this review from the AV Club. It seems like the reviewer is coming to the game in a similar way that I would come to it, and he raises some very valid concerns about game bloat which have me worried. I'm all for putting a lot of time into a huge game (see: Fallout 4), but not if a lot of that time is padding.

So I'm curious about what you all think. Is the game bloated, or is everything you're doing so fun that it doesn't even matter. I'm well aware that this is not the best time nor the best thread to get levelheaded opinions, but I'd still imagine that some people will be able to dig through the hype and give me some great insight.

I would also love to hear some thoughts on this as I would be going into the game similar to both you and the reviewer on AV.

MilkBeard

So far I find the combat to be more engaging than Xenoblade Chronicles. Perhaps it is because of the multiple option for weapons, and just the feel of encounters. It seems really similar but I just feel more engaged with battles.

Chaos17

tumblr_nyukcvGydE1s55i8ao1_1280.jpg
Played for an everage of 5 hours the game today.
I finsihed chapter 3 and I started to do some side missions that led me to Noctilus (picture above). Finding the right class is difficult for me at the moment, Enforcer had some nice skills but I disliked the weapons.

Be sure to talk to Eleanore(a?) who is in front of your barrack she will introduce you the division stuff and squad.

Overall, that game need you to read and take your time.
Trashing this game and try to end asap is just wrong, because there are so many thing to make your life as explorer easier/interesting. Also the monsters won' forgive you if you're weak, lol.

i have, how do i use the fast travel?

You will normally see some little icons in some cell (red-brown).
Tap on that cell.
Yeah, the map is interactive, I had trouble to figure it out until I read the manual, lel.

aravuus

So far I find the combat to be more engaging than Xenoblade Chronicles. Perhaps it is because of the multiple option for weapons, and just the feel of encounters. It seems really similar but I just feel more engaged with battles.

Same here. It's the same sort of impact-less combat as XB (terrible hit feedback, generally just feels like everyone's hitting air etc) but somehow I'm enjoying it quite a lot more than I remember enjoying XB. Maybe it's the tempered expectations I went into the game with, but I'm quite enjoying fighting right now.

Mudd

This game looks so...big. A lot of possibilities and game features have been thrown to me. Going to need a while to understand them all!

In any case, it looks magnificent.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Lol UPS. Guessing the package was lost because it hasn't updated the location since they received it and it doesn't have an estimated arrival date anymore.

Can wait a few more days I guess, looking forward to it showing up halfway across the country tomorrow.

Why does the fog only cover part of areas?
I think the actualfog fog only shows up over bodies of water. At least when you're far away from them.

Looks like executing an attack the friendlies are asking you to ("Move in and deal some damage" -> melee art etc) doesn't always trigger the B button prompt thing? Just now did a melee attack after Elma said that and the game went into slow motion for a second and I think my characters healed a bit.

Also, do the collectables respawn every x minutes or do I have to get far away from them, save and reload or something similar?
B button prompts for yourself only show up if a Soul Voice condition triggers for you, and completing an ally's voice doesn't satisfy any conditions by itself. If you do the B prompt properly your character does the voice you've selected for that condition, and then your allies can complete it with their own arts. There's a whole sheet full of conditions in my thing, should be the fourth sheet in the little menu thing at the bottom. Although, I guess it's already in your in-game menu too, near the bottom under the Character menu section.

Dunno about exact collectables respawn times, but you can just quick travel anywhere, even the spot you're already at, and everything will reset.

El Odio

Banned
Two things. First off I absolutely love the monster/enemy design in this game so far. Second are the tyrant creatures they refer to at the first probe site this games equivalent of unique monsters?

Khort

Anybody received their order from Amazon in Canada (Ontario, Quebec or more eastern part)? Mine and a friend copy are stuck at mississauga it seems... Or at least no tracking update since 2am today).

boiled goose

good with gravy
Thoughts after my first few hours.

Narratively, very different and less effective than XC IMO. This is mostly due to the silent protagonist instead if it being an actual voice character.

Amnesia trope overused in gaming, but I understand why...

They definitely could have slowly introduced the mechanics better, instead of giving you everything at once. I feel XC did it better.

The Hud elements and text feel way too small for some reason. Hard to read from my couch.

Onward!

Chaos17

So, I've been on the fence about this game for awhile. On one hand a lot of the various systems look interesting and the world looks massive and beautiful. On the other hand, I'm not a fan of a long game just for the sake of a long game. If a game starts to drag out or get repetitive, I'll lose interest quickly, unless the game feel is amazing (as a recent example, see the wingsuiting in Just Cause 3).

This game is not for people who seek instant gratification. The core of the gameplay is to build up your team through leveling, upgrading skills, armors, etc... To be able to get into that customisation you've to invest time in optional systems.

Any Etrian Odyssay players will easely understand the pleasure to build his own team and get imba.

The last thing you've to do with this game is to burn yourself. This game is for patient people who sit down and give his time to this game because it won't help you if you slack. It isn't also for people who seek Witch 3 twister dark story. No, this game is for "rpg explorers".

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Yeeeeeaaaahhhhhhh

Guys I'm getting my SE and 2 other wii games I ordered Sunday instead of monday, I would have preferred today or Saturday but this is still great as I don't have to start during the week day after work when I least play my games.

TheMoon

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
My LE ships from Amazon today and arrives on Tuesday. I've already started my rituals to appease the shipping gods, so the thing arrives in good condition.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
My first impressions about the game are great. Elma's English voice is growing on my. I though initially that the Japanese voice was better, but the English one is up there competing with it. And Lyn is miles better in English. The whole localization seems to be top notch. The game is huge, even bigger than in all the videos seen before. And while I never found the music to be bad before, I think I actually love it. I'm not bothered by the small text, as I play the game on a projector, but I can see how it can be an issue for some.

picked up my collectors guide from gamestop love the look of it had no idea it came with a free eguide version also will probably download it and up load it somewhere since i wont ever use it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom