• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

I just realized that data probes are Ubisoft's tower concept, except you actually have to meaningfully navigate the world to get to them, as opposed to just finding a tower and climbing it real quick.

Mistle

Reading a guide on Skells..

If your Skell is destroyed, you get a soul challenge. If you get perfect, the Sell gets repaired for free and does not use an insurance. Good repairs it, but uses 1 insurance. Fail repairs it using 2 insurances and leaves your character at 1 HP.

If a party member has their Skell destroyed, they get an automatic perfect and it's repaired for free.
Can somebody clarify this? Sometimes getting perfect has seemed to repair my Skell for free but other times I've had to use insurance/salvage ticket. Is there something I'm missing?

Also, I had a party member get their Skell destroyed, and I have to use a salvage ticket. Why wasn't it repaired for free? Is the guide wrong?

PetrCobra

Can somebody clarify this? Sometimes getting perfect has seemed to repair my Skell for free but other times I've had to use insurance/salvage ticket. Is there something I'm missing?

Also, I had a party member get their Skell destroyed, and I have to just a salvage ticket. Why wasn't it repaired for free? Is the guide wrong?

That happens if you have no insurance left

Also, I had a party member get their Skell destroyed, and I have to just a salvage ticket. Why wasn't it repaired for free? Is the guide wrong?
If the skell has already lost its insurances, then jumping out with the perfect soul challenge doesn't help anything - you'll have to pay the fee.

This applies to party members too.

Makonero

I just realized that data probes are Ubisoft's tower concept, except you actually have to meaningfully navigate the world to get to them, as opposed to just finding a tower and climbing it real quick.

I've never thought that the concept was bad, but the way Ubi implements it is so lazy. And Xenoblade X proves it.

Kadin

Are there any general 'can't go wrong' augments to make for my first level 30 Skell? Obviously I'll put more time once I get to end-game but at this point I just want to fill the slots with something cheap and easy that's a good overall boost.

Neoweee

Also, I had a party member get their Skell destroyed, and I have to use a salvage ticket. Why wasn't it repaired for free? Is the guide wrong?

The guide is a complete disaster.

As long as your teammates have 1 insurance credit left, their Skells will repair for free without consuming insurance. If they have 0 insurance, then you are fucked every single time and will pay out of your ass. Only give your teammates Skells that have insurance left.

The message that the terminal displayed is not accurate or a bug. It will always tell you "your insurance paid for it" unless you have to pay, and doesn't distinguish between the different scenarios.

All signs point to them hacking in skill test late in development and not testing it or updating the messages.

random25

You must go to the BLADE barracks and check the console to recover your skell via insurance. You can see in its stats if it is reduced or not, with default at 3. When a party member loses the skell, insurance remains unchanged. A perfect soul challenge when you lost your own skell does the same thing.

Edit: I haven't experienced redcing my skell insurance below 3 so I'm not sure what happens when it's at 0 and you still lost it while performing a perfect soul challenge.

Golnei

Bad picture but it will do.

Mira should basically be illegal at this point.

I love so many of the creature designs in this game - if only the more humanoid aliens were as well-realised and interesting.

So is there any reason why Lao never calls out his soul voice dialogue and only gives the text prompt? Is it just a bug?

Probably - I haven't really run into that, at least. Do you mean every Soul Voice, or only a specific category?

Also, does this mean you've never heard his weather line?

Mistle

Thanks all! Makes perfect sense now. Wish I payed more attention to my insurance, I didn't really care too much because I was under the assumption you could get free repairs even when it was 0 lol. Ah well!

Vena

Ahh fuck.

What the hell does Xair, The Cerulean Walker even do for damage? He can actually harm my Skell, lol. Is he doing Spike or something? I guess I need to invest in Spike.EVA.

random25

Are there any general 'can't go wrong' augments to make for my first level 30 Skell? Obviously I'll put more time once I get to end-game but at this point I just want to fill the slots with something cheap and easy that's a good overall boost.

I usually go for evasion boosting augments for my light skells and gravity resistance for heavy skells. Potential boost augments are also great investments for the future.

El Odio

Banned
Mira should basically be illegal at this point.

I love so many of the creature designs in this game - if only the more humanoid aliens were as well-realised and interesting.

Probably - I haven't really run into that, at least. Do you mean every Soul Voice, or only a specific category?

Also, does this mean you've never heard his weather line?
I've heard his weather line. That's about the only line he'll say in battle aside from "Not my forte, but if you insist" which he says for literally every other action he does.

Kadin

I usually go for evasion boosting augments for my light skells and gravity resistance for heavy skells. Potential boost augments are also great investments for the future.
Thanks. At first I was thinking about stuff like Melee/Ranged Damage boosts but I'm not sure if those work as I'm thinking on weapons that are basically arts for the Skell. Stuff like you mentioned stacks fine on all parts? How about what I mentioned on the auto-attack weapons at the very least?

Renewed

Seems like you have a lot more high level research probes than I do. Do you know what's the best way to get them? I accept every normal quest I can find...

To be honest, it's a blur since I don't pay attention to my pickups. I accept lots of quests and do lots of exploring. Anytime I see a treasure box icon on my minimap I go out of my way to get it.

Research probes aren't super plentiful but I think I found a G6 one back at Ant's Nest (north from the middle of the giant chasm) in Oblivia. You can also get a G5 one for completing the Oblivia collectopedia (lol)

Speaking of which, need 3 more items for finishing it all at last.

Golnei

I've heard his weather line. That's about the only line he'll say in battle aside from "Not my forte, but if you insist" which he says for literally every other action he does.

That's his line for responding to a melee Soul Voice - how many of his equipped Arts are melee attacks? I definitely remember him having voiced lines for giving and responding to ranged, buff, aura and debuff Soul Voices, so maybe you've just set things up to not trigger them?

Just finished the game at the 90 hour mark. All in all I loved it.

(STORY ENDING SPOILERS)
Lao and the other bosses ended up being pretty trivial because I developed a level 50 Megaflame. Ended up one hit killing both of them. Felt slightly anticlimactic because of that but that's more my fault than anything else, lol. Thought that Elma being a Xeno and the stinger after the end credits were pretty cool twists, although overall the story wasn't as memorable as XC.

I'm really excited for the next game in the series. Can't wait to see what they do next. Not sure if I'm gonna grind it out for that Ares 90, though.

JulianImp

I second this. The biggest issue I have with humanoid xenos is that there're several races that consist solely of tall and buff males and short and curvacious females.

A side effect of the changes made to Lin's model when using more revealing clothing is that she actually looks decent while wearing the black suit rather than a generic sexy lady.

Shahadan

Just finished the game at the 90 hour mark. All in all I loved it.

(STORY ENDING SPOILERS)
Lao and the other bosses ended up being pretty trivial because I developed a level 50 Megaflame. Ended up one hit killing both of them. Felt slightly anticlimactic because of that but that's more my fault than anything else, lol. Thought that Elma being a Xeno and the stinger after the end credits were pretty cool twists, although overall the story wasn't as memorable as XC.

I'm really excited for the next game in the series. Can't wait to see what they do next. Not sure if I'm gonna grind it out for that Ares 90, though.

Ending spoilers

what's fun is that elma is the titular character of the game! She's a Xeno-BLADE!
Although one ma-non could also bear that title

random25

Thanks. At first I was thinking about stuff like Melee/Ranged Damage boosts but I'm not sure if those work as I'm thinking on weapons that are basically arts for the Skell. Stuff like you mentioned stacks fine on all parts? How about what I mentioned on the auto-attack weapons at the very least?

Those augments should also affect auto-attacks since they increase the base stats of the skell, I think.

El Odio

Banned
That's his line for responding to a melee Soul Voice - how many of his equipped Arts are melee attacks? I definitely remember him having voiced lines for giving and responding to ranged, buff, aura and debuff Soul Voices, so maybe you've just set things up to not trigger them?
He has 4 ranged arts equipped and I've had the text bubbles appear for "Lay down some cover fire" and "shoot to topple" but he only ever speaks that specific melee line, even for when he's just doing normal attacks.

Golnei

Female and male mannon don't look like that too me XD

They're the one of the few that avoid it. When you consider how limiting it is to give aliens binary genders in the first place, having so many of the races encountered hew to the same template just seems like a lack of creativity. Even taking the reality of animation rig limitations into account, they had the chance to get a lot weirder with the alien designs.

I second this. The biggest issue I have with humanoid xenos is that there're several races that consist solely of tall and buff males and short and curvacious females.

It's so boring, I agree. One is bad enough, but the Prone, Wrothians, whatever Daghan and Ryyz are...it's like they really couldn't think of anything but the same two archetypes over and over.

He has 4 ranged arts equipped and I've had the text bubbles appear for "Lay down some cover fire" and "shoot to topple" but he only ever speaks that specific melee line, even for when he's just doing normal attacks.

That might be some sort of bug, then. And it's been the case since you started, and persists on resets?

PetrCobra

Any useful drop guides yet? Trying to figure out how to farm materials for the first skell weapon I can manufacture (seems VERY strong by looking at it, at least by my current standards) but the Internets are failing me a bit.

Makonero

Okay guys, so far, what is your favorite quest? I've really enjoyed some of the normal quests, like Murder Most Foul, as well as the affinity quests, like Hope's. Anything that adds character moments and makes the world feel lived in is aces.

Ending spoilers

what's fun is that elma is the titular character of the game! She's a Xeno-BLADE!
Although one ma-non could also bear that title

giphy.gif

Finalow

some things have been quite stupid, like chapter 6 or 7 when
the enemies tried to recover the super weapon mech or whatever it is, they couldn't because those tainted monsters react to living things, sure, then why didn't you send the army of robots you use to attack NLA with? Idk.

also after chapter 8
NLA is supposed to be half destroyed
but it's like if nothing happened, unless there was a time skip I missed.
so far I liked that some of the npcs have different dialogues after specific story events, but in that case, which was easily the biggest event since the game began, I've hardly read any new dialogue about it, 2-3 NPCs at best mentioned it? Meh. I was expecting side-quests related to that too.

rhandino

Banned
All signs point to them hacking in skill test late in development and not testing it or updating the messages.
They already confirmed in the Iwata Asks that insurance for the insurance was a late addition because the lead battle designer "was a kind man"

Kojima And I strictly told him to just let the Skell break when it was destroyed...but he added the "insurance on insurance" function without my consent.

All (laughs)

Takeda I'm not a skilled player, so for me someone like him is worthy of worship! (laughs)

Kojima Just remember that this feature came solely from his kindness.

Takeda Sure! (laughs)

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/xenoblade-chronicles-x/0/4

El Odio

Banned
That might be some sort of bug, then. And it's been the case since you started, and persists on resets?
As far as I can remember. I hardly use Lao though so it doesn't bother me all too much. Just thought it was weird and wanted to see if it was a common issue.

Gambit

Only started the game just now. Had been in the States for a month and Xeno X was waiting for me back home since release day.

Anyway, just played for an hour (fresh off the plane) and am enjoying it. But I think I am too tired to grasp it all yet.

Just walked to New LA and arrived at sunset. Beautiful in any case.

Any beginner's tips? (for a veteran of the Wii game, who also watched the survival guides)

Got my first super weapon yesterday. The detonator thing, lvl 50 weapon on back, with 124k force or something like that.

Got the archaelogy Off the Record tyrant down with it fairly easily. Also took down multiple xe-dorns just because I could.

Using it like that really brings up how annoying the refueling mechanic is though. Either I take down multiple high level indigens (which I find fun) and refuel a lot (and as a result won't be able to add slots because of not enough miranium anymore) or then I don't take down multiple high level indigens (boring) and don't refuel as much.

I guess I should take some duplicator probes out from money sources and put them on storages probes to get some more miranium. At the moment making about 300k money with 50k miranium limit (would make 70k miranium otherwise - could make a lot more too if I bothered to optimize it but at the moment it's pointless anyway).

Still though, even if I switch some of the duplicator probes for the storage probes, the refueling mechanic is annoying and pretty much pointless regardless. I'd understand if it was a mechanic to get you to think about your fuel use per big fight (would have to be done a little differently to succeed in that), but at the moment it's just stupid how it limits you off combat.

Thanks all! Makes perfect sense now. Wish I payed more attention to my insurance, I didn't really care too much because I was under the assumption you could get free repairs even when it was 0 lol. Ah well!
If you lose the insurance, you probably should just sell the skell and buy a new one. You get majority of the money back and don't have to waste any money on the fees.

Before selling it take off all the gear (press x in the menu when changing skell's gear, and you have the option to take off everything) you can and take off any possible augments from the skell's frame.

Renewed

That AR with the 900 TP per clip? I think people just use that to supplement their TP skills/Overdrive quickly. And I don't mess around with other characters, but I think since L has the shield and psycho launchers he can be a support tank? I only had him long enough to get his affinity up.

How do you change characters?

Menu -> Party -> Active Members. Switch someone else into the top spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom