• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brannon

Try messing around with the camera options in the menus. I had problems with the camera feeling unwieldy and sluggish, but there was one toggle (I forget what it was called) that made the camera move more naturally and immediate

I'm not sure that will help; the lag is universal, and that includes response time when pressing buttons in the game or in the menu, and I even checked to see if it was my TV by toggling to the GamePad, but the same lag is there too.

Not a big problem; it's doesn't rely on split-second timing so I can deal.

rhandino

Banned
https://youtu.be/tekIGTRO35M?t=35

That Sniper clip.

bpdrvg.jpg
I need a gif of the sniper rifle bit...

Dee Dee

I put some hours in, and will echo some of the good and negative points people have already mentioned, from bad to good:

Graphics + Music: Not a fan, I really don't think it looks that good. Music gets old quickly, but then again it also means I find it not so annoying after a while. Sometimes it actually fits the mood quite well. I don't disagree on the fact that a volumer slider for music alone would be great.
I got used to the character models by now, and I actually kinda enjoy the music-less slow cutscenes. Vandham looks really good, in my opinion. The voice acting also saves the complete lack of mimics, my god.
Art direction is amazing though. The first time I left NLA on a mission, I got lost. Bad. But it was fun. I met so many fluffy and scary animals. Haha. Really amazing. Then I tried to swim, but got nowhere. I am a bit lost sometimes to figure out how to get places on higher levels.

Controls + Battles: Fighting with the controls, but that is just me in every game. I am a klutz. I am dying a LOT right now, but that is because I am still trying to understand the battle system.
I haven't played the first game, and am still figuring stuff out, like to avoid melee unless the mob has fallen over, to keep changing positions, and I need to start hitting the button prompts on time. (And need to find out how to revive fallen team mates.)

Rhythm + Feel: This I like most so far. The game has a cool rhythm, urgent, but not stressful. It gives you things to do, and also time to do them. I picked up some side missions, and geared up before leaving NLA for the first time, and just when you start to wonder if this mission is worth doing, it picks up and introduces new elements or challenges.
It's feels so broad, and most things feel worth doing, or skippable for some time until you feel like coming back to them. This really attracts me in this game, and makes me want to get better at it, so more things open up for me.

It's weird, I put nearly 4 hours into it, and just started my first real mission outside NLA (Nelson's Team). I still don't know half the systems, or what my division actually does. Looking forward to spend more time with this massive beast though!

Feck, still downloading and updating. How long does it take to install the updates??

And... How do you guys take screenshots on Wii U??

Omnicent

I was just walking by this huge monkey monster who decided to wake up as soon as the sun went down. I tried running away but this huge boulder from miles away one shot me lmao. That's probably enough random exploring for now. I haven't even reach New LA even thought I been playing for 2 hours already.

I saw 2 just chilling taking a nap. One was Lv.23 and the other Lv.30.... nooooppppeeeee

Chaos17

Controls + Battles: Fighting with the controls, but that is just me in every game. I am a klutz. I am dying a LOT right now, but that is because I am still trying to understand the battle system.
I haven't played the first game, and am still figuring stuff out, like to avoid melee unless the mob has fallen over, to keep changing positions, and I need to start hitting the button prompts on time. (And need to find out how to revive fallen team mates.)

I'm a begginer too, I didn't played the first game.
Here's my tip : wait for your companion orders/sould voice and hit the right color icon they mention. Those orders will always give you boost in damage and even heal you.

If you companions don't give you orders for a time you can trigger it by using the skills yourself it won't trigger all the time the combos with your companions but it can helps.

Be sure to always be at the side or behind the ennemies, you will deal more damages.
And don't forget to level up your arts, choose the one that fit your gamestyle.

Edit : you can only rvive fallen member when you've 3000 TP.

I'm back with another tip:

Familiarize yourself with the R bumper shortcuts during battle.

R+Up = Concentrated Attack! (Lock on to an appendage and then have your team concentrate attack on it to break it faster. Can make battles end real quick.)

R+Down = Assemble! (If you're fighting on a cliff, a real one where there's nothing below you but abyss, your teammates can fall off and insta-die. Use Assemble! to wrangle them in like Pikmin and keep them from being stupid. It's also good when you want to focus on an enemies side or bum.)

R+Left = Activate Overdrive! (You won't have Overdrive for a while but when you do, you'll know how to use this command lol.)

R+Right = Build Tension! (This one is very important imo. Take note that some Arts have "TP" on them. Those Arts use Tension Points, Usually around 1k of them. Tension can be used for those Arts, and Overdrives. But the most important use for them is reviving teammates. 3k TP = Overdrive or Revive. Took me a while to figure this out but teammates can revive you if you die. They can either win the battle or revive you before the timer runs out but they can only revive you if they have 3k TP. So it's a good strat to just keep their TP bars full.)
Source : http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/701151-xenoblade-chronicles-x/72936815?page=1

Got the game earlier today (or yesterday actually) and played a few hours.

A few minor annoyances so far:
- The title screen wasn't anywhere near as cool as the original Xenoblade's title screen was (well not really an annoyance, but was noteworthy to me - Xenoblade's was something spectacular though)
- you can't control the menus using the analog stick
- the rap sucks
- seeing the arrow (you) on the gamepad's map can be kinda hard since it blends in easily.
- no volume slider for voices and music.

And as a major complaint, the text really is way too small. Seems like a really silly but pretty big oversight as the game has so much of text. If I'm in the city I can't really sit comfortably on my couch because I need to sit up closer to be able to see the text.

On a positive note, the game definitely seems very much to be like what I was expecting it to be. The combat is fun. The music works (mostly). Voice acting is fairly good.

Is there a way to open up the map on the TV? I can only see it on the GamePad.
I don't think so at least.

Third-Drifter

Neo Member
Played through the Title after aerial circle of NLA. Battle system is familiar yet new, right now I'm not sure how I sometimes toppled the enemies. The CE art book is great.

The headphone issue is a clear oversight. One way around that would be connection to sound system and aux to cans from that. Surprised that with all those options (still fiddling with the camera) that there's no audio sliders.

Those are my only complaints right now. The artstyle is eye popping, the scale unbelievable and youtube vids never did the game justice. The WiiU is really impressing with XCX, and I say that as someone who spent a couple months on MGSV.

Hey guys, can you edit your character later in the game? I kinda hate the voice I gave her.

Also, if there is an edit option, where do I go to access it?

george_us

Only two hours in but I'm digging it a lot so far.

Positives
- Gorgeous
- Steady framerate
- Combat is pretty fun
- Animation is nice
- Soundtrack is cheesy in a very fun way
- Character models are pretty nice. Don't get where the complaints come from
- Getting around in the world isn't a colossal pain in the ass like most open world games
- VO is great as is the writing so far

Negatives
- Text is so small. Feels like I'm squinting half the time and I haven't seen an option to enlarge it

aett

Not that anyone is following my thrilling saga, but I took another trip to the inner workings of my Gamepad again and managed to fix the volume/headphone problem. I bought the game and I hope the baby has a decent night tonight so I can play!

TWILT

Banned
Based Adam Howden making my life easier with his voice being an option for the male character in this game. Of course gotta pick him for my character. :p

Omg I'm fuming. Amazon f*cked up. This game was supposed to be here today and I'm prime. WTH this was my one day off lol.
You know what makes it worse? It's been sitting at the local ups office that delivers to my home since 12am.

Looks like I got hit with the same thing. World just doesn't want me to play this game it seems. :/

Getting started with it - but I always take too damn long with character creation...

Um, did anyone else find this particular tattoo to be a bit funny? I'm not quite sure what it's supposed to be, but it looks like... something.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to find another reason to post this today, but...

FIqh3AZ.gif

wrowa

It really feels overwhelming in the beginning, since a lot of systems either aren't explained very well or aren't explained at all. There are so many systems and mechanics that you have to learn and it doesn't help that the menus and the UI aren't very well designed.

However, once you have passed that initital hurdle and start exploring the word, it feels quite amazing. I aimlessly explored Noctilum for several hours today and it was sooo good.

Litri

Just made it to New LA. Pace is a bit slow and I can't get enough of all the menus and systems, guess it will only get more complicated from now on but I 'm sure I will be up to it.

I have a WiiU with no hard drive. If I buy the physical version of this game, there are data packs that I won't be able to download that improve performance, correct? How big is the difference? Don't feel like getting a hard drive for my WiiU...

Dee Dee

I'm a begginer too, I didn't played the first game.
Here's my tip : wait for your companion orders/sould voice and hit the right color icon they mention. Those orders will always give you boost in damage and even heal you.

Oh, that makes sense. I had that happen once or twice by accident, I will pay more attention from now on.

Edit : you can only rvive fallen member when you've 3000 TP.

... what's a TP? Derp. I truely don't know.
Elma revived me once, which was the first time I realized reviving was an option.

Thanks for the tips!

Not walking that fine line I see :p
I'm getting killed by monsters below my level. (sometimes)

OTOH, the first Tyrant I fought was easy as hell. Basically it all comes down to whether or you reach low HP, because if you do odds are good that the party's over

Chaos17

Another tip and trick : hold L and right stick to zoom out or just read the virtual manual to see all of the controls!
Source : https://www.reddit.com/r/Xenoblade_Chronicles/

... what's a TP? Derp. I truely don't know.
Elma revived me once, which was the first time I realized reviving was an option.

Thanks for the tips!
Your TP numbers are written on your combat screen XD
Those points are used by characters for any skills type of : aura or support

Vecks

After about 2 hours of gameplay, I think I've died more times than I did in 150 hours of Xenoblade.

Not fun!

I don't have the game yet, but I've been watching lots of different streams and people are certainly dying a lot. Based on what I've seen, I think it's because the difficulty doesn't scale to party size, so the first couple of hours when you only have 2 or 3 members can make things a lot tougher since there are no healers and you don't start out with natural tanks. For healing you really have to make use of those soul things.

Another big issue is the aggro. It seems pretty common for people to accidentally get more enemies into the battle. Still not sure if people are using AoE that catches other enemies or if it's because some indigens actually will go to protect its own kind.

Something that I've read and haven't confirmed, however, is that enemy difficulty is also based on their size. So a level 7 giant is supposedly much stronger than a level 7 of a smaller size.

alf717

Would anyone be interested in buying just the items that come with the limited edition version? I'm thinking of selling the stuff. Just an FYI is has crush marks. I am Also interested in buying just the items from someone but they have to be in mint condition. LMK

Why do I always end up with shit copies of expensive items. =/

Strange, I ordered the LE guide on Amazon about 3 hours ago even though it said out of stock and that it won't come until like the 12th with my Amazon prime. However I just got an email saying it will come early than expected, this Tuesday and its entered the shipping now phase. I guess they aren't really out of stock. $15 less than at gamestop too.

Played for a few hours earlier today.

Still don't have my BLADE license but I will have it soon when I get back on. I'd post a screenshot but I don't know how to do that on Wii U yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom