• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

h0tp0ck3t

rvOLQQ7.jpg

Holy shit is this game gorgeous

fernoca

I played the game for 30 minutes and felt super turned off by it being so MMO-like.

Please tell me it gets better, I want another Xenoblade Chronicles in terms of story and characters. Does it even get remotely close to that?

You're not gonna get that, dude. The game is much less focused on its story and characters. Sorry.
Though the first 30 minutes in both games is similar. A few cutscenes, you thrown out in an open world to explore and a bunch of menus and options that make it look like an MMORPG.

So, maybe play a bit more? :p

The dev team per se has said that there's less focus on story, but the rest is excellent.

R0ckman

I played the game for 30 minutes and felt super turned off by it being so MMO-like.

Please tell me it gets better, I want another Xenoblade Chronicles in terms of story and characters. Does it even get remotely close to that?

Now that you mention it this does seem to play like an MMO that's afraid of actually interacting with other people directly. Meh, not a huge deal to me.

Wagram

5 hours in so far and i'm a bit mixed on my experience with it. The story premise seems interesting (although basic), the characters are somewhat cool, and I do like the world itself. However, I don't like the controls, the music is hit or miss (and more often miss), combat is kind of boring, and there's a LOT of asset reuse on the map.

Looking forward to digging deeper with it tomorrow, here's hoping it becomes funner.

jb1234

Though the first 30 minutes in both games is similar. A few cutscenes, you thrown out in an open world to explore and a bunch of menus and options that make it look like an MMORPG.

The dev team per se has said that there's less focus on story, but the rest is excellent.

I have heard that the end part of the game really picks things up but that's problematic if you want a compelling story throughout.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How do you use things like "evasion up ii" that you get as mission rewards? I assume I install them on weapons and armor, but I'm not seeing where.

Jims

Lol, that's what happened to me. I realized the yellow circle means that it's on a different level, I run up the hill and stare at those lvl 35 monsters and go: Eh, let's see If I can slowly go to the item. Nope, OHKO. So you can get the item? I'll try again today.

Yeah, I don't know if I accidentally broke the mission. The enemy indicator and positioning of the item seems to suggest that you're going to get spotted, but the angle I came from around the cliff seemed to avoid the line of sight. The first approach I took, they saw me before I could even grab it. I think you have to approach from as far away from the monster as possible.

I think it's supposed to be doable at a low level, since the follow-up mission isn't crazy difficult or anything. It was just the way I did it didn't seem to be how a game designer would want it completed. I dunno.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Yeah, I don't know if I accidentally broke the mission. The enemy indicator and positioning of the item seems to suggest that you're going to get spotted, but the angle I came from around the cliff seemed to avoid the line of sight. The first approach I took, they saw me before I could even grab it. I think you have to approach from as far away from the monster as possible.

I think it's supposed to be doable at a low level, since the follow-up mission isn't crazy difficult or anything. It was just the way I did it didn't seem to be how a game designer would want it completed. I dunno.

I did it at night, I think you're harder to spot then.

Big Brett

Just getting to the meat of the game it seems with BLADE quests and whatnot. Has felt like a 6 hour tutorial lol. And yet I'm still pretty confused. Seems like many systems in the game, like simply picking party members, are quite convoluted. Enjoying it so far, but man is it overwhelming.

Holy crap can someone tell me where Puges are in Primordia? I can't believe the game is locking all forward progression for me until I find loot that only they drop.

Near Seaswept Ridge, from the very bottom right of the map go up one hexagonal marker and then to the left diagonally (up). After teleporting there go forward a bit and there's a base to the left, there's a couple of them around there. Btw, when I was in a squad mission that included them they were not dropping anything, after the mission was over they immediately dropped what I was after.

george_us

I'm absolutely loving combat so far. Just unlocked classes now. I also unlocked a shit load of other systems.

Ihavenoideawhatimdoing.jpg

Jims

The tyrants in this game are amazing. Watching videos and stuff in advance doesn't give it justice. That feeling of running through a field that you're not completely comfortable in with much higher-leveled creatures in the vicinity... And then, "OH GAWD AN EVEN BIGGER ONE IS RUNNING AT A BREAKNECK SPEED STRAIGHT AT ME, HIDE." Really does feel like you're in dangerous wilderness.

Also love it when those big milousaur things sneak up on me. Just roaming around, making a few turns, and, oh. There's a giant foot.

So I am really enjoying the combat system myself. So much so that I spent two hours on the
prologue before reaching NLA

I don't really understand what triggers a combo just yet or if there is any way to predict when the B is going to flash on the screen so I can prepare for it and execute perfectly?? Seems like a case of just listen to your teammate and do what she recommends...

Anyway the game is beautiful, the controls are difficult to master but are already starting to feel pretty natural to me and combat is engaging. Liking my experience so far, not impressed with the story however and that may be the only downside.

Malus

The thing that's impressed me most about X so far is how the overworld feels so much bigger than the original, and yet it also feels so much denser and more fun to explore. There's just more to do, see and traverse.

jmizzal

Anything I miss out on by not using a gamepad?

Gamepad plus pro controller is the way to go

use the gamepad sitting on the charger station while playing with the pro controller

you have the map right in front of you and can touch for fast travel and different views

but I know everybodys set up is not like my room with easy access

Bytes

Did anyone else get booted from the game's online service and is unable to get back in, even after returning to the title screen?

Sagely

Haha ...have you heard the main battle theme yet? :D
Yes, finally. It is glorious and you were so right, it even has Mike Shinoda rapping! Been listening to the soundtrack these past two days and I really like it :) It's going to make the wait difficult, but I have a long Christmas break coming up and don't want to start the game before then. I watched the Survival Guide videos and they sealed the deal. This game is going to keep me sane during winter.

Did anyone else get booted from the game's online service and is unable to get back in, even after returning to the title screen?

Ya same thing happened to me, it doesn't seem like there's any option in the menus to reconnect either, unless I'm missing something.

whats the easiest way to take screenshots?
Hit the system button and go to the web browser. Go to your image host of choice, log in (so you can access the photo without writing in a long URL) and hit upload. It should show images from the main screen and gamepad, upload it and your done

You can then just visit the image hosting site on your PC and grab the photo.

Kebiinu

Banned
Is it just me, or is anyone else having trouble connecting to the server? I can't seem to reconnect after it dropped a few min ago.

Illucio

Banned
Dude my amazon CE says delivery on the 6th Sunday... Since when can you get delivery on SUNDAY???

It's happen to me quite recently, some delivery services offer delivery on Sunday's now. It costs considerably more for the person shipping the product, but it's an available delivery day now.

The beginning of Xenoblade Chronicles had an immediate plot exploration they throw you into to play, the beginning of X was very MMO-ish where they just have some sort of long cutscene setting up the events, absolutely little to no character development, and the gameplay is pretty much the same with the exception of the additions they added. But they changed a lot of the menu's and interactions with objects and monsters which is more similar to MMO games. I felt like I was playing on a empty server of WOW.

I'll play more later, but I'm not having a good first interaction with the game. Which makes me upset D:

rockx4

Hit the system button and go to the web browser. Go to your image host of choice, log in (so you can access the photo without writing in a long URL) and hit upload. It should show images from the main screen and gamepad, upload it and your done

You can then just visit the image hosting site on your PC and grab the photo.

Awesome, will try it, thanks.

Rewind

Just getting to the meat of the game it seems with BLADE quests and whatnot. Has felt like a 6 hour tutorial lol. And yet I'm still pretty confused. Seems like many systems in the game, like simply picking party members, are quite convoluted. Enjoying it so far, but man is it overwhelming.

The manual is your friend, I have to reference it a lot.

leng jai

Yeah, the first 40 minutes of this is nowhere near as good as Xenoblade Chronicles. Music seems terrible in comparison also.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
There's a mission where I have to kill something while it's raining. Should I just wait at the location?

Also the camera keeps moving on its own. How do it stop it?

I'm seeing major NPC's with like actually cool mustaches and hairstyles and here I'm stuck with this pleb hairstyle and beard I chose at the beginning.

Anybody know if we later unlock a way to get new hairstyles/beards? Or to change our character's appearance if we regret something?

zroid

Banned
I gotta say, I really love the soundtrack. I thought the vocals would get annoying, but they really aren't. So far, anyway.

105.Will

I gotta say, I really love the soundtrack. I thought the vocals would get annoying, but they really aren't. So far, anyway.

They really go either way, for me at least. The main battle song has grown on me and the Tyrant theme kicked ass, but the NLA tracks are kinda silly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom