• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a mission where I have to kill something while it's raining. Should I just wait at the location?

Also the camera keeps moving on its own. How do it stop it?

Skip travelling repeatedly is usually the best way to proc weather. Supposedly certain ones show up more often at specific times of day, but I don't know if there's any 'best time' for rain.

If there's no "automatic camera reset blah blah" option in the settings, maybe your right analog's borked.

I'm seeing major NPC's with like actually cool mustaches and hairstyles and here I'm stuck with this pleb hairstyle and beard I chose at the beginning.

Anybody know if we later unlock a way to get new hairstyles/beards? Or to change our character's appearance if we regret something?

Post on new page just in case. My biggest concern with my character is that the hairstyle I thought looked decent in the select menu looks silly now. Can we change hairstyles anywhere?

jwhit28

I was able to get the special edition and the hardcover strategy guide. The intro is definitely nowhere as good as the first game but I was way more impressed by the environment. I really like the music but I can understand how it can be so love it or hate it. There are so many systems and stuff to learn about that I feel overwhelmed, but in a good way. In the short time I had to play it all started to fall into place in a similar way to the first game.

MilkBeard

I gotta say, I really love the soundtrack. I thought the vocals would get annoying, but they really aren't. So far, anyway.

Yeah, I was expecting to not like it because all of the complaints, but I feel it is really fresh and motivating. You know, we already have so many JRPGs with generic orchestral sountrack #5,121, so it's nice to hear something different. I am enjoying it. Some of the songs remind me of Sega soundtracks from the Saturn/Dreamcast days, while others just sound like unique pieces that stand out and wouldn't normally be there, but somehow fit and sound exciting.

Just my opinion anyway.

Clawww

Yeah, I was expecting to not like it because all of the complaints, but I feel it is really fresh and motivating. You know, we already have so many JRPGs with generic orchestral sountrack #5,121, so it's nice to hear something different. I am enjoying it. Some of the songs remind me of Sega soundtracks from the Saturn/Dreamcast days, while others just sound like unique pieces that stand out and wouldn't normally be there, but somehow fit and sound exciting.

Just my opinion anyway.

fresh is exactly right. I love it. I've always been open minded about music, though. I can understand it being not for everyone but I think people should give it a fair shake instead of letting it bother/hamper their experience too much. might grow on ya.

anyways my dude right now lol
12348380_10207946245351457_1697982530_n.jpg

Haroon

I missed the delivery man :(. Going to have to pick it up Monday. How does it feel combat wise compared to Xenoblade Chronicles?

What was the size of the jump drive anyway? I have the limited edition but haven't bothered putting it in anywhere.

I really dig the music. It's so different. I'm even enjoying this yeah in the town more than a traditional soundtrack.

I've just heard so many of those it's a nice change of pace.

Also sometimes it honestly feels like I'm playing a modern anime with this soundtrack.

Post on new page just in case. My biggest concern with my character is that the hairstyle I thought looked decent in the select menu looks silly now. Can we change hairstyles anywhere?

You should be able to later.

In fact the manual mentions you can store five avatar presets you make.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Skip travelling repeatedly is usually the best way to proc weather. Supposedly certain ones show up more often at specific times of day, but I don't know if there's any 'best time' for rain.

If there's no "automatic camera reset blah blah" option in the settings, maybe your right analog's borked.
A restart fixed the camera and it was raining too when I loaded so yeah... :p

I'm really digging the soundtrack and, again, I'm not even a fan of Sawano to begin with, beside songs like Bulmenkranz and that badass one from AoT.

So what's the verdict GAF? More of the first game? More grindy fetch quests with horrible drop rates? My copy don't get here till the 7th.

In the OP it says you can change your character later into the game. I'm not sure how later though, I'm 3hrs in and didn't see anything like that.

Dineren

Banned

I'm pretty sure one of the videos in the OP mentioned being able to unlock the ability to change your appearance later. Not sure on the details though.

So, for scientific purposes, would anyone be willing to make a short video(or point me to one that already exists) of the list of items you can redeem reward tickets for, at the online console in the barracks? The descriptions are all the same, so you can just press right several times to scroll through them faster. And maybe one for skills for all of the classes too, you can see all of them available for each class if you hit X in the class change menu.

Names of collectibles and quests would be greatly appreciated as well, but only if you've got a decent chunk of them completed. You can display cleared quests in the quest menu by changing the filter with the Y button to show All.

Kadin

A little confused on classes. I got Drifter up to 10 and didn't realize it at first. Saw this when I was level 9 and decided to change to Striker. All my Battle Points were used on Arts for Drifter so the new ones are all level 1 and my new weapon is a basic grey level 1 sword.

Am I not able to use my earlier weapons, I thought that was a perk of the weapons moving forward with you. Either way, when I went up against on-level mobs I felt incredibly weak so I ended up going back to Drifter.

I feel I'm missing something here...

In the OP it says you can change your character later into the game. I'm not sure how later though, I'm 3hrs in and didn't see anything like that.

I'm pretty sure one of the videos in the OP mentioned being able to unlock the ability to change your appearance later. Not sure on the details though.

all right cool thanks guys. Hopefully they add more options to hair/beard that were there at the beginning as I've already seen NPC's with facial hair and hair styles I'd love for my character to have.

Tomorrow I'll have to make a tough decision on whether I want to go Commando or Striker. While I already have a commando type character with me I won't be keeping this party with me always, and dual katanas sounds too good to pass up over a big ass sword. Also it seems to be boosting exactly what I want which is accuracy and evasion, aka what I assume is the equivalent of rogue skills. Which is what I tend to go for.

Diablos54

Near Seaswept Ridge, from the very bottom right of the map go up one hexagonal marker and then to the left diagonally (up). After teleporting there go forward a bit and there's a base to the left, there's a couple of them around there. Btw, when I was in a squad mission that included them they were not dropping anything, after the mission was over they immediately dropped what I was after.
Thank you! That will save me running around like a maniac looking for some!

This is the first Wii U game where I'm wearing my glasses to play on the Gamepad. I'm nearsighted and can read the text but there's a slight unsharpness without glasses. With them thing are solid.

I know there are barriers in the early missions to keep you from drifting off but I'm still spending an hour talking to everyone I can.

I find one of the DLC characters though I'm sure a lot of people with where he's located.

Front of the barracks.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
These are good problems to have for this game, though.
I'm really hoping it does well in the west. X deserves it.
The game seems to be selling out in a lot of stores, which I love to hear.

Yea, these are good first world problems to have haha, I think this game, like splatoon is gonna have a ton of word of mouth that's gonna propel it forward.

Heng

I missed the delivery man :(. Going to have to pick it up Monday. How does it feel combat wise compared to Xenoblade Chronicles?
That sucks man... The combat feels really good compared to XC. I feel like there's more depth to this combat and you can really customize your build to fit your play style. Range attacks seem kind of meh to me, but it could be that I'm still on the early parts of the game.

Bytes

So the map is gamepad only, and in map mode you can't get game audio? Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?

My thought exactly. It means that when you are playing in gamepad mode, you have to navigate the map with no audio, so you could be getting attacked and not even know it!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Done streaming for now, back pain sucks :( I want to keep playing but HOLY SHIT the game looks bad on pad lol

That sucks man... The combat feels really good compared to XC. I feel like there's more depth to this combat and you can really customize your build to fit your play style. Range attacks seem kind of meh to me, but it could be that I'm still on the early parts of the game.
Get a good ray gun, get 1k tp, pop an aura, use the ray gun skill with its bar full. Laugh at 9k damage at level 12.

Haroon

I see. That sounds pretty good. Did you end up assigning certain roles to your team? For example. You have one person be the melee role. The other be the ranger role. And another one just buffs up your party. Or does the party composition not matter as much?

I ended up going down the Enforcer class line (Party because I figure everyone and their grandma's will be duel wielding and wanting to put out big DPS numbers)

Its actually really damn awesome. Loving the laser rifle skills, both of the ones I got so far are AOE's. Also a lot of support skills that come in handy (Especially since Lin likes to grab all of the mobs aggro with taunt)

Heng

Get a good ray gun, get 1k tp, pop an aura, use the ray gun skill with its bar full. Laugh at 9k damage at level 12.
I haven't even unlocked shops yet. :( That sounds really awesome, I'll try to get a great range weapon for my hero.

I see. That sounds pretty good. Did you end up assigning certain roles to your team? For example. You have one person be the melee role. The other be the ranger role. And another one just buffs up your party. Or does the party composition not matter as much?
Not yet, I've just got to NLA and now I need to head outside to some area. I've only played it for 2 hours but I've spent most of my time looking at the soul voice and abilities I'll get in the future.

This was probably already mentioned in the OT, but if you wait long enough to use an ability that's already available, it'll charge all the way and deal more damage or keep things toppled for a bit longer. It seems like a really interesting mechanic that can really make you think twice about using a spell right away or wait for a few more seconds.

For anyone who wants to take screenshots, just hit the home button, open Miiverse, click on post to photo album, and that's it.

Have the Miiverse site bookmarked on your mobile browser or PC and just get the link to the picture from your photo album.

It's cool having all the pictures you've taken all in one place and the journal stuff on Miiverse works really well for this sort of game.

Almond

I wasn't going to to wait all weekend for Amazon to ship my SE copy.....
so I went and bought a regular one.

And I really should be going to bed, but there's just so much to do and I can't stop!!!

Vena

I was hoping to get decently far into the game before dying, but it would seem that the game didn't agree. Level 81 monkey loaded in on top of me (because I am playing without the packs installed) from the ether and killed me in an instant.

lol

zakujanai

I hate silent protagonists so much. Makes the mc seem like they have a learning disability that everyone else is choosing to ignore.

hawk2025

Save for the sloooow bits once you reach NLA for the first time (did we really need all that exposition? The first cutscene setup everything that was needed -- then it shows up again twice!)

Really impressive. It's blowing my mind a little bit, maybe because I fell for the anti-hype from a few months ago (how the hell did that happen, again?)

Good stuff. Good stuff. Let's see how far it rockets up the best of the year list once I have a good 20-30 hours in.

im wondering how the fuck FFXV's road trip landscapes will possibly compare to this lol

I was thinking about this in general today. This game may have eaten FFXV's lunch twice over.

Kadin

I was hoping to get decently far into the game before dying, but it would seem that the game didn't agree. Level 81 monkey loaded in on top of me (because I am playing without the packs installed) from the ether and killed me in an instant.

lol
I'll be the first to admit that I've died 5 times already and I'm only level 11. 3 of those were due to simply being ambushed by a high level (25+) while killing a normal mob. The other 2 were stupidity and poor combat - what else can I say? lol

Vena

I'll be the first to admit that I've died 5 times already and I'm only level 11. 3 of those were due to simply being ambushed by a high level (25+) while killing a normal mob. The other 2 were stupidity and poor combat - what else can I say? lol

Don't think the game tracks it. Especially with how easily death can descend from nowhere lol.

So don't feel bad. :p

MilkBeard

I like how the game has a ton of ways for you to go about your experience. Choosing factions, for example. Pretty cool. I like how it really feels like I am really on a new planet with humanity trying to find ways to survive.

On the other hand, the dialog and character interaction is really rough. It's a shame, because MonolithSoft is usually better about this. It's an unfortunate downside to an otherwise great game.

Haroon

I haven't even unlocked shops yet. :( That sounds really awesome, I'll try to get a great range weapon for my hero.

Not yet, I've just got to NLA and now I need to head outside to some area. I've only played it for 2 hours but I've spent most of my time looking at the soul voice and abilities I'll get in the future.

This was probably already mentioned in the OT, but if you wait long enough to use an ability that's already available, it'll charge all the way and deal more damage or keep things toppled for a bit longer. It seems like a really interesting mechanic that can really make you think twice about using a spell right away or wait for a few more seconds.

Alright, thanks for answering my questions. I will most likely end up creating a party with some sort of composition.

knkng

I feel like an idiot asking this but, in chapter 3 how do i progress the story?

Anything specific? If not, then:

Select the "Missions" option in the menu and make sure that the chapter 3 mission is "set". There should be a yellow arrow on the mini map directing you where to go. When you get to the spot it should become a yellow circle (be mindful of elevation). The spot where you need to go will also be displayed as a blue pin on the Gamepad map. The details of the mission should also be displayed on the main screen, or you can check by selecting the chapter 3 mission in the menu and pressing L2/R2 to see a list of what needs to be done next.

If you're at the correct location or have completed the task and an event is not triggering, try saving and rebooting the game (I had a mission marker not trigger once, and this fixed it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom