• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freeman76

Does this game give you a sense of being in a larger universe, in terms of other players? Kind of like Demons Souls where you had a real sense that other people were in that universe, hard to explain but almost like the feeling of an MMO without it actually being one? Sorry if this is kind of vague, I love playing games where it puts across a sense of being part of something with evidence of other players/community.

Quadraxis

Man, i love the exploration here. Did some quest that took me to the northwest of Primordia and after that i just went on and reached Noctilum at night. My god, its so pretty *-* Intstantly reminded me of a colourful Satorl Marsh :)

Golnei

As I said before, the OST in this game is utterly bizarre.

The NLA music is pretty regrettable, and the battle theme really doesn't get any better with time; but I think I managed to lower my expectations enough to not take issue with the music - at least there are a couple of good themes in there from what I've heard so far.

I still want to play the alternate version of X from the universe where Takahashi approached Keiichi Okabe and MONACA for the soundtrack...

Noponis

Neo Member
I would try and see if the y cable would fix the problem. If the problem persist, I would buy the physical copy and just install the data packets. You may run into the same problem here if you opt to get the data packets so I would suggest downloading these packets individually instead of doing it all at once.

that would require either buying some single usb to y cable thingy or the purchase of an entirely new harddrive
Not to mention that as far as I am aware the second plug of a y cable generally is only there to strengthen the power supply(which is why for example the gamecube adapter when plugged into a pc only requires on plug to be in), which is not necessary as this harddrive is sufficiently powered via ac plug

About the second suggestions: Does nintendo have some digital refund system? Because while I have considered a physical copy, I am definately not paying twice for this game

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Does this game give you a sense of being in a larger universe, in terms of other players? Kind of like Demons Souls where you had a real sense that other people were in that universe, hard to explain but almost like the feeling of an MMO without it actually being one? Sorry if this is kind of vague, I love playing games where it puts across a sense of being part of something with evidence of other players/community.

If you active the squad missions yes.

Klyka

Banned
People not liking the Sawano

669.gif

aravuus

Not really. The only hints you'll get you're even "playing" with other people are the squad achievement popups in the upper left corner (which get annoying fast) and the squad tasks on the lower left corner, which are kill/fetch quests that everyone do at the same time. No ghosts of other players or anything like that.

This is when you're doing normal gameplay. The game has actual coop squad missions too, which I have yet to try.

TheMoon

First Xeno game for me, I'm a bit confused on the arts. I was under the assumption the green bar slowly filling was my ability to use a particular art, but it doesn't seem that's the case. What's the deal?

Covered in the OP's combat section. Look up "secondary cooldown."

imae

Not really. The only hints you'll get you're even "playing" with other people are the squad achievement popups in the upper left corner (which get annoying fast) and the squad tasks on the lower left corner, which are kill/fetch quests that everyone do at the same time. No ghosts of other players or anything like that.

This is when you're doing normal gameplay. The game has actual coop squad missions too, which I have yet to try.

The avatars of other players appear at random places throughout the world.

Also you can send messages to all squad members and communicate in real-time while out in the open world.

The game is USB Keyboard compatible also, which makes communicating faster if used.

MilkBeard

There are some strange themes for sure, but there are some really good songs in there. I think it's a nice change of pace from the usual songs you get for this type of game.

Klyka

Banned

Also you can send messages to all squad members and communicate in real-time while out in the open world.

The game is USB Keyboard compatible also, which makes communicating faster if used.

You can also put down messages for other players in your squad,kinda like Dark Souls and you can offer to trade items which makes finding items for quests a lot easier.

aravuus

Oh yeah, you're right. Most of them were standing in the barracks for me, though, and barely anyone ever sent messages in my game so I completely forgot about them.

So yeah, I still don't think it feels like a living world when it comes to online players. Maybe my opinion will change later, though.

Golnei

There are some strange themes for sure, but there are some really good songs in there. I think it's a nice change of pace from the usual songs you get for this type of game.

The choice to break away from the typical JRPG musical direction was sound in itself, but I'd rather they ended up with something more nuanced than the typical modern Sawano sound. If the vocal themes were of the calibre of those in Anarchy Reigns or Madworld, I don't think as many people would be complaining.

I do agree that the soundtrack is by no means all bad, though - I've just started, and I've already found a few tracks I really like.

imae

You can also put down messages for other players in your squad,kinda like Dark Souls and you can offer to trade items which makes finding items for quests a lot easier.

Nice! didn't know that. Is that done by just changing the type of message you send?

Haven't had as much time as I'd like to play, only did the prologue and explored a little bit of NLA so far, but the game is so beautiful, so happy to finally be playing it. And I know they've been pretty divisive but I really love the cheesy lyrical tracks.

imae

Oh yeah I skimmed over that before and forgot about the Treasure Deals thing.

I had a good conversation going with my squad last night about game mechanics and where to find certain enemies. Definitely got those MMO feels (I used to play a lot of them!).

I noticed It doesn't display the name of the player who sent the message when they pop up on screen which is a little odd. Overall though I've been pleasantly surprised by the online features in the game.

wbEMX

I'm loving the game so far. Awesome battle system, huge depth in terms of the world and how every gameplay element works, great graphics and pretty good music. At least better than what Sawano now puts out there (the music was written before the Attack on Titan OST).

BUT.... there is one huge issue with the presentation. This game - I shit you not - is missing 5.1 surround sound COMPLETELY. It's in 2.0. First I thought it's like Nintendo always does it: Music's in stereo (which sucks, btw) and sound effects are in 5.1. But no, this thing is in stereo. Probably due to disc size constraints, but this still really, really sucks for me personally. And yeah, I'm the audio-nerd who is that one guy who has to answer for all the "Who the fuck cares about surround? I don't have it!" replies he gets on Twitter. Damn it. :p

imae

How do you level up your mechanical, archaeological and biological skills.?

You have to increase your BLADE level. After chapter 3 (i think), there's an NPC at the missions terminal who allows you to level up the field skills, 1 per BLADE level-up.

TheMoon

Feck, still downloading and updating. How long does it take to install the updates??

And... How do you guys take screenshots on Wii U??

press HOME, go to browser, go to image upload site (imgur.com/abload.de) and upload. grab link, post.

That's pretty cool. Does it automatically disable the HUD or do you have to turn it off in the game?

HUD needs to be disabled manually.

... what's a TP? Derp. I truely don't know.
Elma revived me once, which was the first time I realized reviving was an option.

Thanks for the tips!

TP are explained in the OP :) ...also in the survival guide video about combat. You guys should really watch that stuff.

How bad is the grind? Or is it paced well?

Xenoblade games don't have grinding. Just sidequests to do :)

Does anyone know how to go online again ingame? Because earlier today the connection was lost for some reason and I spent the rest of the time in offline mode.
Yo how do I reconnect after dc without restarting the game?

You have to restart the game. (returning to title screen should suffice but don't forget to save!)

Can you ever edit your character once you start the game? Having trouble deciding between two hair styles.

OP has an FAQ for a reason :(

Do any of the dialogue choices matter or can I just pick whatever?

They can affect the outcome of a quest, cause your party members to approve/disapprove (affects affinity rating) and potentially have dire consequences for the people you talk to :)

Is there a way to have the game on the Gamepad and TV with audio coming from the TV (or TV and Gamepad)?

No. Only way is to enable Off-TV but then you have to disable it every time you need the map/UI.

Yes, finally. It is glorious and you were so right, it even has Mike Shinoda rapping! Been listening to the soundtrack these past two days and I really like it :) It's going to make the wait difficult, but I have a long Christmas break coming up and don't want to start the game before then. I watched the Survival Guide videos and they sealed the deal. This game is going to keep me sane during winter.

Well it's not actually Mike Shinoda though (it's Sawano's go-to rapper dude whose name I don't know). But he does sound a lot like him which is why I always have to think of Linkin Park :D

Are there like no audio options at all? Can't see any.

No.

Just entered NLA and I already want to tear my ears off. What the fuck is this music?

Hiroyuki Sawano, ladies and gentlemen. Love him or hate him.

(I choose the latter^^)

Sölf

Is there a way to change the text from german to english? Or does that not work witht he german version? Changing the console to english maybe?

Klyka

Banned
Sölf;188002826 said:
Is there a way to change the text from german to english? Or does that not work witht he german version? Changing the console to english maybe?

Console to english works for me

jb1234

The music is an atrocious fit at times. Like why is there vocals playing in the background for a random conversation?

Sawano isn't responsible for the way the music is mixed into the game or how it is utilized after he has written it.

(I'm not defending him as a composer, to be clear. I think the music is terrible and a very bad fit for the game.)

-shadow-

Sölf;188002826 said:
Setting your system to English will change it.

AGoodODST

Is there any way to get more info on where certain items are other than what continent they appear on?

Completely lost on some of the collectible normal missions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom