• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

royox

For god's sake. I'm Lvl12, reached Ch.4 and the f*cking tracking ball tells me to go to a zone full of lvl40 insects to reach another lvl12 zone.

PD: LIGHTSABERU!!!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
For god's sake. I'm Lvl12, reached Ch.4 and the f*cking tracking ball tells me to go to a zone full of lvl40 insects to reach another lvl12 zone.

PD: LIGHTSABERU!!!

Yeah, you need to make your way through brutal zones to get to quests a lot in the game. There is always a way, though.

Kinsei

Banned
People are having problems with the "A New Rival?" quest? All it takes is one research probe that you can get by accepting the sidequest from Kirsty (which you can do while on the affinity quest) and a couple of regular probes.

I'm killing random Tyrants, I hope it's not like Xenoblade where you had to wait to pick up the mission or else you risked to lose the monster!

I've seen tyrants respawn so don't worry.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Really enjoying the game.

It's very different from Xenoblade feel wise.

Xenoblade always had this very sad, bittersweet, pessimistic yet hopeful feeling due to the story. You are exploring this world, but there is a backdrop of war and loss and tragedy.

So far in X, it feels much more like a colony with a hostile environment and a pure sense of adventure. It feels more like YOU are exploring the world, rather than seeing the world through the characters' eyes.

It's interesting just how different they feel from a 'role playing' perspective due to small design differences.

Zafir

Gotta go back to title menu and reload save.

Stupid, I know.

Well, most of the 20-ish hours I've been playing have really felt like I've been playing a single player MMO. I've been doing mostly optional content, though, so if you're planning on doing mainly main missions and affinity missions, it'll probably feel a bit more like a traditional JRPG. Hard to say.

But yeah, so far totally like an MMO.

Problem is it feels like you have to do some optional content to do the main story as there's requirements to start them. I imagine you'll end up under-levelled without doing some too.

mAcOdIn

Did check the manual ?
A lot of basic things are explained over there.
For that? No. I said I felt it was needlessly complex not too complex to get. Just frustrating to go out to a probe location and find you don't have a high enough skill to actually plant the damn probe because you got the wrong skill or same with treasure. Wouldn't be as bad if the map was then updated with those locations with a marker of which skill you need leveled. I'd rather the type of probe you plant being limited by a field skill than just planting a basic data probe.

The Art and Skill levels however, I doubt the manual would go into enough detail because my issue's not so much what a level does, that's straight forward enough, it's this fear that why the fuck should you even level a art or skill for one class when you plan on switching once you can to another and may lose access to that skill? Or a skill that's similar but better but now you don't have the points to level that skill up.
Except for the jump button, I think the controls are basic to grasp...
It's not that they're hard to grasp it's that they're fucking clunky.
... This game was designed to be played with the gamepad... Just like Splatton is and Mario Maker...
/facepalm
I don't really give two shits about intent here. Personal opinion of the gamepad being a flaming pile of shit aside I'm all for giving players options and the gamepad is unfortunately the pack in controller. It of course then should support the gamepad. That said, unlike Splatoon it does support the Pro Controller and there are things you should be able to do with the Pro Controller that you can't and I don't think people should give a pass to Nintendo because of stupid reasons like that. And from a UI design is it really an issue for something like naming your character to put a prompt on the screen telling you to use the gamepad? Nintendo's usually good about basic usability shit like that in their games. But still, I find it silly that you can't bring up an onscreen keyboard or map with the Pro Controller.
The heck ?
You only have to report certain quests to npc.
Squad quests are automatically completed.
For as stupid as your intent on making me look can you read what you respond to? On the top left you get Squad reports and sometimes notifications pertaining to yourself. On the bottom left now that I've been looking for them you get random messages explaining the region you're in and also apparently small talk from travel companions like Tatsu. Tatsu's the one telling me to report shit and I just found that odd because, well, I can't report shit. But it's hard to tell with the short amount of time a message is up if it's a character making bland small talk, or a social message meant for miiverse functionality or what.
Seriously, I advice to pause your game and go read the manual a bit and even the npcs. Both of them give advice. Like How Eleanor intriduce your to division more in deapth and anoter npcs.

This game need you to take your time and READ.
I'm figuring it all out, the main point of my rant was to explain why I felt the shit was so clunky and needlessly unintuitive. It's not rocket science. Needlessly unintuitive doesn't mean too hard to grasp though.

Further evidence to what I feel is clunky is the online, when it buggers out I still haven't found a way back online besides saving my game exiting the game and reloading. That's fucking silly.

The game's not bad but it's seriously lacking in polish.

Evilkazz

Banned
What am I doing wrong?

I'm doing an affinity quest that requires me to earn 3,000 credits through frontierNav in a single sitting. I've comboed like 5 probes together but I've been sitting here an hour and nothing has happened.

Do I have to click something to earn the credits or does it happen automatically.

Kinsei

Banned
What am I doing wrong?

I'm doing an affinity quest that requires me to earn 3,000 credits through frontierNav in a single sitting. I've comboed like 5 probes together but I've been sitting here an hour and nothing has happened.

Do I have to click something to earn the credits or does it happen automatically.

Replace one of the probes with a research probe. They generate credits faster.

Gattsu25

Banned
People are having problems with the "A New Rival?" quest? All it takes is one research probe that you can get by accepting the sidequest from Kirsty (which you can do while on the affinity quest) and a couple of regular probes.
A five link mining chain + research probe get you about 60% of what you need for that mission.

That's not even the problem really, the problem is the complete lack of information you have going in.

The only thing the affinity quest tells you is that it caps your party to 3', requires level 13, and cannot be abandoned.

My expectation going in was that Mc Douchelord was going to join my party, we would fight some enemies, and he would (based on my dialog options) become a potential party member. No expectations that the quest would have fuck over so many players (glad you went by with just a handful of the standard probes though, natch). All from an affinity quest that will be one of the first that players even see since it's right next to the mission board. Hell, it IS my first affinity mission and with how frustrated I am at the moment it will also be the last.

Hey, I get it, though. The affinity mission system is great. The game is great.

Shame that the last 2 hours of my playtime have been filled with nothing but anger and frustration.
Shame that it appears this affinity mission has gotten so many people stuck before and, exactly like I mentioned in my original post, gotten nothing but "well, that was easy for me, did you try [x that doesn't work]?"

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is there a way to fix the when the camera gets super sluggish to pan around? I have it set So I can whip it all over the place, but if I'm in some indoor areas or near a wall it loses like 90% of its sensitivity.

Can you only have one save file at a time in this? Also what happens if you start a new game? Does it create a new save file or overwrite the one you have?

Also are there missables in this?

Is there a way to fix the when the camera gets super sluggish to pan around? I have it set So I can whip it all over the place, but if I'm in some indoor areas or near a wall it loses like 90% of its sensitivity.

I noticed that too, i guess it just does it for in doors area's and goes back to normal outside.

Side note, the music in this game is a 10 already and i havent left the first area yet.

Freeman76

Caved in and bought it, have no space on the Wii U to install the data packs, but I'll have to stomach that and get on with it, the base game seems the same so I can deal with a few secs loading time and pop in. Havent played the Wii U much apart from a month of MH3U addiction and the odd Mario session with my daughter, this looks like something to really get my teeth into.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is there a better way to target appendages other than running around a mob and adjusting the camera hoping it selects the right one?

I already know how to lock them once the right one is highlighted...

Kinsei

Banned
A five link mining chain + research probe get you about 60% of what you need for that mission.

That's not even the problem really, the problem is the complete lack of information you have going in.

The only thing the affinity quest tells you is that it caps your party to 3', requires level 13, and cannot be abandoned.

My expectation going in was that Mc Douchelord was going to join my party, we would fight some enemies, and he would (based on my dialog options) become a potential party member. No expectations that the quest would have fuck over so many players (glad you went by with just a handful of the standard probes though, natch). All from an affinity quest that will be one of the first that players even see since it's right next to the mission board. Hell, it IS my first affinity mission and with how frustrated I am at the moment it will also be the last.

Hey, I get it, though. The affinity mission system is great. The game is great.

Shame that the last 2 hours of my playtime have been filled with nothing but anger and frustration.
Shame that it appears this affinity mission has gotten so many people stuck before and, exactly like I mentioned in my original post, gotten nothing but "well, that was easy for me, did you try [x that doesn't work]?"

[x that doesn't work] worked perfectly for me. This quest is basically a glorified tutorial for managing your probes in order to get what you need.

How many probes do you have set up?

Is there a better way to target appendages other than running around a mob and adjusting the camera hoping it selects the right one?

I already know how to lock them once the right one is highlighted...
If toggling targets just switches to different monsters the manual implies it is like you say due to the phrase "Get close to the appendage you want to attack," under the Appendage Lock section :(

Zafir

Caved in and bought it, have no space on the Wii U to install the data packs, but I'll have to stomach that and get on with it, the base game seems the same so I can deal with a few secs loading time and pop in. Havent played the Wii U much apart from a month of MH3U addiction and the odd Mario session with my daughter, this looks like something to really get my teeth into.

Honestly, I've not installed any data packs, and it's been mostly fine for me. You get a bit of loading going into scenes, and if you teleport anywhere you'll be hit with a bit of loading, but it's nothing crazy imo. It's only really when you first boot it up you really notice it.

royox

Who else got his ass kicked by Sirene the Lost? (lvl13) That god damn monster destroyed me in 5 seconds and I'm lvl12 xD

TheMoon

Can you only have one save file at a time in this? Also what happens if you start a new game? Does it create a new save file or overwrite the one you have?

Want a new save file, make a new user account.

no missable quests.

Does the Follow Ball not work with quests that ask you to get items or kill monsters?

it can't possibly lead you to items and monsters you could find in multiple spots.

Pretty sure chain bonuses for mining probes doesn't affect their money output, just miranium. But tourist spots give 1000G each at a probe spot if you have a research probe set there. They scale with the probe's effectiveness, too, so a single G1(200%) should be nearly enough. FN Spot 117 would be perfect for that, as there's an easy to reach cave under the larger rockdome that should count for its tourist spot.

beanman25

Liked the prologue, but a tad overwhelmed. I'm sure the game points out everything though, yeah? Like when I'm able to select a class or what have you. Also, where do the items I pick up go? How to I access the glowing things I picked up?

Kinsei

Banned
7 mining (in a chain), 2 research, 1 storage

Change some of your mining probes back to the default (or research if you have them). Is one of your research probes up by the cave Kirsty asks you to check out in her second quest? If not put one there as it gets a boost because people will want to check out pictures of the cave.

Want a new save file, make a new user account.

no missable quests.

it can't possibly lead you to items and monsters you could find in multiple spots.

Lol wot? So you can never start a new game because you will always only have one save file unless you make a new account?

TheMoon

Liked the prologue, but a tad overwhelmed. I'm sure the game points out everything though, yeah? Like when I'm able to select a class or what have you. Also, where do the items I pick up go? How to I access the glowing things I picked up?

just sit back and check out all the menus. something you should do in every game, really. learning by doing.

Cool, next time I know that trying to help you isn't worth it.

Zafir

Who else got his ass kicked by Sirene the Lost? (lvl13) That god damn monster destroyed me in 5 seconds and I'm lvl12 xD

Yep, though the main reason was because the AI seems pretty useless. Just kept standing under it and taking the slam damage. :D

Wagram

im wondering how the fuck FFXV's road trip landscapes will possibly compare to this lol

It'll reuse assets the same as this does. Let's not pretend they aren't reusing assets all over the place here. Looks great, but it's not as hand crafted as people have been letting on.

Lol wot? So you can never start a new game because you will always only have one save file unless you make a new account?
There is one little trick you can do. The data on an external drive takes priority so by having an external drive you disconnect and Xenoblade X data on both you can effectively run two save files. Bit of a pain though. I'm please I'm one of those people who is fine to start over no looking back when it comes to RPGs.

rhandino

Banned
It'll reuse assets the same as this does. Let's not pretend they aren't reusing assets all over the place here. Looks great, but it's not as hand crafted as people have been letting on.
It is even viable to make open worlds as big as those without heavy asset reuse? Xenoblade on the Wii U had crazy different areas but even between them they shared assets like textures, monsters designs, etc...

Chaos17

You need to create a new account if you want a new save file.

Read the manual.

202dca16a6.jpg

Should be a semi-common drop around the circled area

Thanks. Wish they would at least tell you where to search because just saying it's in Primordia is too vague given the size.

How do I access this glowing quest tracker ball thingy that shows me where to go

Press R + X. It won't guide in every quest though, like gathering some stuff it won't tell you where to go.

Btw, people, don't focus too much on these gathering quests if they bother you too much, even in the original Xenoblade a lot of people got burned out because of this. Just play and you will eventually gather a lot of stuff without focusing on it.

Seik

Banned
Did you guys try to make your Avatar look like someone specific? :)

I tried to make mine look like Bastion from Vanguard Bandits on PS1. (Except I thought he had green eyes at first. -_-)

wiiu_screenshot_tv_016ksmo.jpg

6344466569_6d531a44cb_m.jpg

And I'll try my best to have a Skell that will have similarities to the Ultragunner.

ultra.jpg

I just followed a side quest storyline about a coffee barista that breaks every machine she touches. If every Named NPC sidequest has that amount of depth than this game will be amazing. So far I feel like the NPC are much more fleshed out in here than in Xenoblade.

rhandino

Banned
Did you guys tried to make your Avatar like someone specific? :)

I tried to make mine look like Bastion from Vanguard Bandits on PS1. (Except I thought he had green eyes at first. -_-)

wiiu_screenshot_tv_016ksmo.jpg

6344466569_6d531a44cb_m.jpg

And I'll try my best to have a Skell that will have similarities to the Ultragunner.

ultra.jpg
The Mastema or Amdusias models with a paint job could look very similar to the Ultragunner =D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom