• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

brinstar

I just followed a side quest storyline about a coffee barista that breaks every machine she touches. If every Named NPC sidequest has that amount of depth than this game will be amazing. So far I feel like the NPC are much more fleshed out in here than in Xenoblade.
Hahaha, I loved that quest. The NPC writing is much better this time around.

Chaos17

Press R + X. It won't guide in every quest though, like gathering some stuff it won't tell you where to go.

Btw, people, don't focus too much on these gathering quests if they bother you too much, even in the original Xenoblade a lot of people got burned out because of this. Just play and you will eventually gather a lot of stuff without focusing on it.

I agree, fetch quests are just there to make money and get some sub items but not obligatory.
Instead Affinity quests are more interesting to do.

WVW69iod3O0RjfqtRR

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYIHAAAEAABEVRTtda4IMw

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Damnit I wish you could lower the music volume. The mixing is so bad that it drowns out dialog in half the cutscenes.

R.D.Blax

I just followed a side quest storyline about a coffee barista that breaks every machine she touches. If every Named NPC sidequest has that amount of depth than this game will be amazing. So far I feel like the NPC are much more fleshed out in here than in Xenoblade.

And the choice you make in some of these quest are not for show either, so be careful or you can end up with dead NPC or worst

Played the prologue, the game is hooking me much more than the previous game. Will be streaming tonight.
Seems the 15 GB packs make the game smooth. Had no issues.

BriGuy

I'm stoked to be playing a new JRPG at all in 2015, but Jesus do I wish there were less "systems" in place. Crafting, investing, augmenting, affinities... it's too much.

MilkBeard

Warning for those who haven't accepted it yet.

DO NOT accept an affinity quest called "A New Rival?" unless you enjoy capping your max party size to 3 until you can generate fucking 3,000 credits PER cycle from your probes.

Fuck this quest. Fuck the inability to abandon it. Fuck everything about this.

So fucking frustrating.

Googling around has shown me that a bunch of other people are stuck in the exact same situation I am in. Responses range from "maybe you can sell items?" to "I dunno, have you tried using probes" which is cute.
It took me all of five minutes. It's literally just having enough probes out, and then waiting for the accrual of credits. I already had like 4 or so probes out so it came in no time flat for me. If you were paying attention, you can change your probes, and there are ones that maximize the amount of credits you get. Once you have it all set, it comes quickly.

Also, you might want to spend that time leveling up because the battle that follows is a bit tough.

jmizzal

Pretty cool that they will lower the level of story bosses if you die too much, this game is gonna be long enough then to be forced to grind to level up just to go through the story

It'll reuse assets the same as this does. Let's not pretend they aren't reusing assets all over the place here. Looks great, but it's not as hand crafted as people have been letting on.

But the degree to which the reuse is noticeable is what's important. The assets in XCX feel about as reused as 'assets' in the real world. Just because you see the same object or texture more than once, it doesn't make it any less handcrafted.

You can tell how handcrafted this game is just by how organically placed or modified everything is. The landscapes look natural, not systematically put together. Every rock, every tree, every cliff feels unique simply because of how they're placed or how they've been tweaked.

To be honest, the handcrafted nature of world surprised me. I expected to notice a lot more things copied/pasted and sprinkled throughout the world, and even if that is the case, it doesn't feel that way at all, which is all that matters.

Kinsei

Banned
I just realized that after playing all day yesterday I never even set foot in the commercial or residential districts if NLA. I should do that the next time I play.

Dr Dogg

This game is flipping huge and by this game I just mean the continent of Primordia. In my 25ish hours so far with the game I'm only just wrapping up Chapter 4 and have mostly been doing BLADE missions, exploring and probe planting. Granted getting one shotted by some crazy level 50 enemies no matter how wide and fast you try to run around them takes a bit of figuring out but by the time you've traversed 200 foot up some precarious rock formation and then looking down on the speck that is New LA it was worth it for the jaw dropping moment when you realised you were there an hour ago. A lot of open world games give the old 'You see that mountain over there? Well you can go there' talk but X might just be that game where honestly there's very, very little set dressing.

Raide

I am not really set on NLA. I would have much preferred to appear in the early days and actually help see NLA develop from some random tents to the massive BLADE building etc. I like games that make me care about a place because of my connection to it but I really don't care about NLA. The rest of the world is so open and crafted that NLA feels lifeless and a chore to get around.

Maybe its just early days but the game certainly has some great highs' surrounded by some lows that drag me down a bit. Still love just wandering the world seeing whats out there!

Rewind

Warning for those who haven't accepted it yet.

DO NOT accept an affinity quest called "A New Rival?" unless you enjoy capping your max party size to 3 until you can generate fucking 3,000 credits PER cycle from your probes.

Fuck this quest. Fuck the inability to abandon it. Fuck everything about this.

So fucking frustrating.

Googling around has shown me that a bunch of other people are stuck in the exact same situation I am in. Responses range from "maybe you can sell items?" to "I dunno, have you tried using probes" which is cute.

I did it with one research probe and a booster probe next to it. I get like 7k credits from it, you just have to pick a spot that has decent income.

Beats

I've played 8 hours and so far it's cool. I'm finding the battle system engaging and traversing the world is pretty fun thanks to the movement options and quick loading times when fast traveling. The organic environments also look great along with the creature designs.

The characters feel a bit dull and lifeless though. Everything from their body language to their mouth movements in cutscenes feels robotic and makes them not very interesting to watch. There was also one scene so far where a vocal song was overpowering the dialogue. Not really sure what was up with that tbh.

aravuus

It was a pretty fun side quest, yeah.

So far the longest one I've done too, though. Not sure how many named NPC missions I've done, and even if I did, I can't remember what the quests were about since they were so basic compared to the barista quest.

Well, I do remember helping Joshua or Jason or something like that who sees me as pretty much a superhero right now. That was pretty funny.

Anteo

lol at the chapter 4 boss
They giv you Leo with negative electrical defense, the boss does tons of electric damage.
Didnt help I had Elma and Lin with negative defense too.

Qurupeke

Reached the twist in the story. Not something too surprising, it wasn't bad either.

Anyway, I unlocked overdrive but I have no idea how to accumulate TP points. Do I just not use attacks that consume it? And how do I regain it?

Raide

Reached the twist in the story. Not something too surprising, it wasn't bad either.

Anyway, I unlocked overdrive but I have no idea how to accumulate TP points. Do I just not use attacks that consume it? And how do I regain it?

Auto Attacks or Auto Attacks plus Skills if you happen to be a certain Division.

aravuus

Turned wifi off on my phone and Wii U hasn't disconnected once in 4 hours

Uhhhh... Well, as long as it works, I guess. Squad missions seem like fun so far.

For the City Saviours sidequest I chose
to spare the piglets.

Did I mess up by making that choice?

I know that your choices in sidequests can have drastic consequences so I'm just wondering if anyone has seen the effects of the choice in this sidequest.

aravuus

Has anyone been running around with Irina? Does the AI actually use the brainjack arts?

She's the only outside character that has a clearly different role than my other party, so she should be an obvious choice as the fourth one, especially with those HP regain arts, but she seems worthless so far. Keeps dying all the time.

Has anyone found a mission, locaiton or way to get a regular looking eyepatch? All I've found is the gauze eye patch. I'm only level 10 so still fairly low level, just curious if there was a way.

R0ckman

Game is VERY poor on explaining data probe deal, read a topic on gamefaqs, where people were being lazy as hell with explaining as well. So I'm looking at the map trying to improve my survey rate I'm in a hexagon or segment with no installation or red beam. Around this area are dark hexagons that activate when I install the probe, apparently I have to do something in these areas to activate the beam, but I am not informed of what. Clicking on each hexagon does absolutely nothing outside of just a quick highlight animation of the segment, on the gamepad or screen, I get no info, yet that's what people are telling others to do.

I think you have to switch it back to the TV mode to access the map - I don't think there's any way to use it while still in off-TV mode.

Tap the screen anywhere and then tap the gamepad icon that appears on the right of the screen.

Yeah. That sucks it's weird not having sound at all during that because my TV is off. Weird oversite. As alerts still pop up on the TV when doing frontier net actions.

Anteo

Game is VERY poor on explaining data probe deal, read a topic on gamefaqs, where people were being lazy as hell with explaining as well. So I'm looking at the map trying to improve my survey rate I'm in a hexagon or segment with no installation or red beam. Around this area are dark hexagons that activate when I install the probe, apparently I have to do something in these areas to activate the beam, but I am not informed of what. Clicking on each hexagon does absolutely nothing outside of just a quick highlight animation of the segment, on the gamepad or screen, I get no info, yet that's what people are telling others to do.

There is a whole (optional) quest that works as a tutorial on data probes, it even gives you some extra probes and teaches you about the different kind of probes and linking many probes for increased production.

Edit: You need to instal a data probe, there is a tutorial for this in the early game. After that you can click on the hexagon of a data probe to get some info about it, and change which kind of probe is used. Depending on the probe used you will get different amount of resources every cicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom