• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinsei

Banned
Here's my pink ranger.

WVW69ioiknoMCdjiEl

Squishy3

I'm also not looking for a game with a steep learning curve and a lot of stat/item management which (correct me if I'm wrong) this game has.
There is that but it hasn't really come into play so far for me, outside of just buying new equipment. Your effectiveness in combat is really determined by how you take advantage of the Soul Voice system (Think of it like The FFXII gambit system, where certain things happen at specific triggers, but instead of it being things like attacks and item using, it's strictly buffs and healing, as well as TP generation for the more advanced arts) and not so much the sheer numbers. Later in the game, obviously, you'll probably need to be more prepared for fights with resistances and taking advantage of enemy weaknesses, but it's probably not a big issue in the early game. And the early game lasts for quite awhile.

There is a lot here, and it can be super daunting, but I already feel more in control of the combat system than I ever did in the original Xenoblade and this one doesn't even let me see the future! It throws a lot at you, but outside of some very specific instances (that don't even really have to do with complexity of the combat system, more so figuring out how to navigate around all these monsters that are significantly higher leveled than you to get to the objective) the game doesn't feel terribly overwhelming yet. It's just very daunting first looking in.

BashNasty

If you prefer WRPGs then Xenoblade and Xenoblade X are exactly right for you.

You'll note that he doesn't want a bunch of confusing stat and inventory management, nor a steep learning curve. From the sound of it, X has that in spades.

It may well not be right for him.

Ah x brings up a submenu! Got it.

Is there a way to remove augments from the equip screen? Or do I need to unequip it, then go into "Intel/inventory" and find the equipment there and remove the augment?
Just hit Y on the one you want to remove when you're in the submenu where you pick which slot to place one in.

TheMoon

You'll note that he doesn't want a bunch of confusing stat and inventory management, nor a steep learning curve. From the sound of it, X has that in spades.

It may well not be right for him.

It certainly has lots of systems but it's not throwing everything at you right out the gate. There's no crazy stat management, though. I'd still say go for it.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
There is that but it hasn't really come into play so far for me, outside of just buying new equipment. Your effectiveness in combat is really determined by how you take advantage of the Soul Voice system (Think of it like The FFXII gambit system, where certain things happen at specific triggers, but instead of it being things like attacks and item using, it's strictly buffs and healing, as well as TP generation for the more advanced arts) and not so much the sheer numbers. Later in the game, obviously, you'll probably need to be more prepared for fights with resistances and taking advantage of enemy weaknesses, but it's probably not a big issue in the early game.

There is a lot here, and it can be super daunting, but I already feel more in control of the combat system than I ever did in the original Xenoblade and this one doesn't even let me see the future!

I'm honestly going to play this game like Chronicles and keep it simple. In Chronicles I pretty much ONLY ever used equipment found in loot and never bothered with optimal setup from shopping for items and forging gems, etc. This game is really about making the right choices in battle and having the right Arts. I feel like the "stat management" part of the game only comes when you're trying to fight enemies way above your level. With the right equipment and stat bonuses you can take them down. But if you want to play "simple" you can really get by just fine without always managing your gear.

So yeah, this game really isn't about "stat management" unless you want it to be. You can get around pretty well without messing with all that shit constantly.

My play style is to pretty much change gear every couple of hours of game time, maybe longer. Usually it doesn't matter and if you wait hours before messing with gear, it doesn't bog the game down. Unless, you're trying to take down high(er) level monsters - you can really have a good time with Chronicles/X without spending hours messing with shit in menus.

It's weird. I WANT to play this game but I haven't played a JRPG since FF13, and before that I played them on the PSX.

I just can't get into JRPGs, I much prefer WRPGs. But I acknowledge this game is probably really good.

I'm also not looking for a game with a steep learning curve and a lot of stat/item management which (correct me if I'm wrong) this game has.

This game honestly plays much closer to a WRPG.

granted, this game also does have a lot of item/equipment management so idk

TheMoon

added a bunch of the actually frequently asked questions here to the OP's FAQ btw. (how to screenshot, audio through gamepad, how to reconnect)

more reasons for me to yell at those who don't CTRL+F their way through it at least once ;)

aravuus

It certainly has lots of systems but it's not throwing everything at you right out the gate. There's no crazy stat management, though. I'd still say go for it.

I dunno, so far I'd say it definitely has more than your average WRPG and faaaar more than your average JRPG. Have to consider the augments etc.

Uh, a heart popped up on top of Lin's head in a cutscene, but her actual reaction to my reply was very negative??? I don't get it, aren't the hearts supposed to mean the affinity went up

jmizzal

Is there a quick way to find affinity missions?

I have to compete the "Renewed Will" affinity mission to move to story mission chapter 5

I dont know where its at

Jims

Ugh, Tatsu is too adorable to handle. I know the Nopon had their fair of detractors in the first Xenoblade, but there is something about them that is amazing. They're like overly self-centered and enthusiastic Moogles.

Although now the game is making me miss having Riki in the battle party. Human characters only is blah.

Leiru

is there a way turn off the messages on the lower left corner of the screen the green ones that the game pops out every now and then?

Risev1

So the prologue chapter is called "Prologue: Awakening"

I immediately thought: "Wait, am I playing Phantom Pain right now?"

Anyways, the environments in this game are gorgeous.

Does anybody know where the outfitters test hangar is exactly? I finished Chapter 4 and the wiki says that I can do the Alexa stuff now and recruit her, even with the help of the wiki I just can't find the place.

I just switched to it and it already seems amazing. The attack values on the snipers and javelins are way higher than the other stuff too.

That one Javelin attack you get for the next class is so good, Overwhelm or something, it's overwhelming at least :D

Is there any way to choose what type of squad you want your squad to be?

I joined a squad via a GAF friend but it's a Lifehold squad. Is there much of a difference between them?

Squishy3

How can I fast travel to Nla? Don't see the probe
Open the whole map (the thing at the top left) and then you can select the district you want to travel to. In addition, the quest icon will appear on the district your tracked quest is on.

yami4ct

Anyone getting error codes when trying to download the loading packs on the eShop right now? I noticed over on Reddit some were also having the issue, but no solution. Trying to download it here and keep getting 108-0150 errors. I assume it's on Nintendo's end, but seeing if anyone else has ideas.

So I'm doing Yardley's quest and they ask me to find a California.... Evening? Twilight? Don't know the exact translation as I'm playing it in Spanish.

I guess that's something you can find around NLA as it's the only "californean" place in Mira, but I have no clue where to start.

Squishy3

So I'm doing Yardley's quest and they ask me to find a California.... Evening? Twilight? Don't know the exact translation as I'm playing it in Spanish.

I guess that's something you can find around NLA as it's the only "californean" place in Mira, but I have no clue where to start.
It'll be out in the world, as one of the random blue collectibles.

R.D.Blax

They are mostly in cave, and it's translated sunset in english

California Sunset is a rarity 2 collectible found in cave areas of Primordia

Edit: Looks like I was beaten. Having the eguide to look this stuff up is so nice, btw.

gogogow

Today I turned on my Wii U using the quick menu to play Xenoblade. At the title screen I can't click on "continue" (savegame is on my external HDD). I got out of the game and saw there was no external USB drive icon on my gamepad screen. I turned it off and on again and got a warning "Please only connect or disconnect USB storage devices while the console is powered off". I of course never did anything like that. Now every time I turn on my Wii U, there's no USB external drive icon (though the hdd light is on, but it's quiet, it's not reading, so the Wii U isn't recognizing it) and then I get that error message "please only connect or disconnect..." and then the OS restarts, which takes a while. It happens every time. Anyone knows what's wrong? External HDD Sleep mode is disabled. I never had this problem before, only happened recently.

Is there a quick way to find affinity missions?

I have to compete the "Renewed Will" affinity mission to move to story mission chapter 5

I dont know where its at

It's in the commercial district. I had to google it myself earlier today when it came up. I was actually wondering how id find anything in this game without the internet, so many requirements for moving on seen so scattered and random.

thats achievements tho, thats upper left im talking about lower left the ones tatsu appears in

(no game here but I can try, should probably leave it to someone else...)

Do you want to turn off BLADE report displaying completely or just the Tatsu nag every time you do something worthy of one*? In the screenshot shown there is a BLADE reports section in the settings and the manual says there is an icon to turn BLADE Report display on/off on the gamepad as well (the icon below the keyboard which is yep...write a BLADE report).

*-These will allow you to post Special topics. So try to find if there is a way for those prompts to be turned off.

Leiru

(no game here but I can try, should probably leave it to someone else...)

Do you want to turn off BLADE report displaying completely or just the Tatsu nag every time you do something worthy of one*? In the screenshot shown there is a BLADE reports section in the settings and the manual says there is an icon to turn BLADE Report display on/off on the gamepad as well (the icon below the keyboard which is yep...write a BLADE report).

*-These will allow you to post Special topics. So try to find if there is a way for those prompts to be turned off.

yeah i just want to turn off the tatsu prompt, ill try and see if that works i just wanted to make sure if i would still be able to chat with people

ugoo18

5 and a half hours in, joined Blade as a Harrier and i haven't gone to the Chapter 3 story mission yet...... So much to see, do and explore. I'm going to rack up a ridiculous play time at this rate lol.

So what division did everyone end up joining? Currently at the point where they ask what division I want to join and was curious what everyone else decided.

QuarkMann

Neo Member
It shows whether you have all of their stats recorded. Engaging something adds it to the bestiary with an empty circle, killing it once adds HP and EXP, twice adds the rest of the stats, and a third time adds the time/weather it appears during/fills in the dot. I think Tyrants only need to be killed once to have all their info recorded.

That makes sense. Thank you.

It's great to learn all the mechanics and funcionalities of such a complex game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom