• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squishy3

THAT'S IT

THAT'S FUCKING IT

How the hell do I reach Desdemona the FUCKING subterranean?!?!?!
People have defeated it, but I think that was just a weird prolonged battle of using solely ranged weapons. I'd honestly think it's intended to be fought with a Skell even though it's a lower level Tyrant.

Sölf

I repost this, as I would really like to get an answer.
Sölf;188135062 said:
Alright guys, question:
How good/important ae the crafted items? The first available weapons are level 20, I am currently 18 and thinking about farming the mats for one of them. I already have 2/4 items and have some from the other 2, I just need to find the mobs that drop those again. Are those things good enough for some time? Also, as that is called "Research", do I only have to farm the mats once and after that I can just buy them?

And swimming to Sylvalum is horrible. At least I found one of those stupid Acorn thingies in the water. Probably have to go back to get the other 2.

LProtag

People have defeated it, but I think that was just a weird prolonged battle of using solely ranged weapons. I'd honestly think it's intended to be fought with a Skell even though it's a lower level Tyrant.

I did exactly that. The weird ranged battle against it.

cocopuffs

Banned
Is there an Easy Mode or something for this game? Because I got half-way through Xenoblade on the 3DS, but all the grinding/side-quest stuff got so tedious that I just quit.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

It's the only way I could figure to kill it, I just assumed there was something I was missing. I had completely forgotten about the follow ball at that point for some reason as well.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I keep running in to issues with bosses and being forced to decrease their difficulty to win. I don't really understand a bunch of stuff about the combat system.

What heals me in combat?
What triggers those QTEs to pop on screen and what do they do, specifically?
When my actions start glowing at the bottom and I activate them, I assume I get some sort of bonus for that, what is it specifically?
Should I be waiting for the secondary/tertiary cooldowns to use abilities?

If anyone could help me out I'd really appreciate it.

Soul Voice, which is the QTE thing that pops up, is also what heals you. You can kind of customize them in menus. I found an entry in a Wiki that might be helpful to you:

http://xenoblade.wikia.com/wiki/Soul_Voice

When your abilities start glowing, you often get large bonuses to damage and such. It's honestly to such a degree that most abilities are not worth wasting unless they're flashing.

Venfayth

Soul Voice, which is the QTE thing that pops up, is also what heals you. You can kind of customize them in menus.

When your abilities start glowing, you often get large bonuses to damage and such. It's honestly to such a degree that most abilities are not worth wasting unless they're flashing.

Is that the only thing that the Soul Voice does? I'm also kind of curious how most people play during combat cause I just feel like I'm mashing on things to little effect.

Sölf

THAT'S IT

THAT'S FUCKING IT

How the hell do I reach Desdemona the FUCKING subterranean?!?!?!

Oh, that one. Okay, you can walljump on that mountain and then jump down upon it. I am not completely sure from where (where you can fall down in this small gulch). I am to stupid for screenshots, esle I would make one. :(

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Hahahaha you know I get why many complain about this soundtrack.... It is so...... Random I guess. Haha but in all seriousness I think the actual quality of the individual tracks is insane, and if you take the soundtrack for what it is and what it's going for, it's somehow ended up as one of my favorite jRPG soundtracks of the last 10 years or so hahahaha. So weird and random.

zroid

Banned
Just got my guide from Amazon. 511 pages to accidentally spoil myself with. I did not expect the screen cleaner to be that big. It's almost the same size as my mouse pad!
bDlVZCQ.png

I gotta pick this up at some point

bumpkin

Has the combat been changed at all or is it exactly the same as Chronicles 3D?

I really tried to like Chronicles 3D, gave it a good 4-6 hours, but the combat just drove me up the wall. I got sick of getting wasted in what were just regular routine battles, never mind the boss fights. What I didn't like:

- There was no way to actively evade attacks.
- Whether you're right next to an enemy or have some distance, their attack always can hit you.
- Attacking is practically automatic outside of selecting your current one.
- I never noticed any items (potions, etc.), just equipment.

Has any of this changed?

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
God, once your start delving into the deep gameplay loops present in this game, it just becomes impossibly addictive. I've been unable to tear myself away all weekend, and I know I am only now starting to scratch the surface.

MilkBeard

Is that the only thing that the Soul Voice does? I'm also kind of curious how most people play during combat cause I just feel like I'm mashing on things to little effect.

You should be trying to get to the sides or rear. Look at your artes and see which ones specialize on this. Also, there are artes that are mainly buffs, which you should do. Even though I'm not a tank character, if I know my allies are low on health, I will pop a defense arte and then use an arte that grabs the enemy's attention. This helps a lot, but you have to be careful because you might die.

I switch between guns and melee to see which is more effective. Then, I memorize which artes focus on staggering, and which on topple. There is a certain order that you do with your attacks. You want to stagger, topple, then do artes that do more damage during topple state. This process keeps the enemy from attacking and you do more damage. There are artes that heal HP, so make sure you keep an eye out for those.

The battle system is a little bit button mashy, and that was my big problem with the original Xenblade. It felt like I was just standing around and pressing buttons. This game has improved it a lot by giving more weapons, more prompts and special hits. It also lets you attack limbs, which cause damage in different ways. For example, you can sever the tale of those gator-like enemies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I really tried to like Chronicles 3D, gave it a good 4-6 hours, but the combat just drove me up the wall. I got sick of getting wasted in what were just regular routine battles, never mind the boss fights. What I didn't like:

- Whether you're right next to an enemy or have some distance, their attack always can hit you.

Has any of this changed?

No. But if you're getting your ass beat in regular fights I'm sorry to say but you're just bad at the game, it's not the game's fault.

MilkBeard

Has any of this changed?

It's very much the same in those points. However, for some reason, I like this iteration of the battle system much more than the original Xenoblade. There are more options, skills, and elements to the system that have been added that make it more engaging. See my post above.

Sölf;188136964 said:
Which one was that? At the waterfall in Noctilum or at the "entrance" (first probe) from Noctilum? Because I killed both a few hours ago.

Sölf;188137458 said:
Oh, that one. Okay, you can walljump on that mountain and then jump down upon it. I am not completely sure from where (where you can fall down in this small gulch). I am to stupid for screenshots, esle I would make one. :(

I tried looking everywhere I can't find a spot to get near her enough to even shoot her with ranged. And it's stressing me out yo lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

That was pretty much my complaint with the battle system.

Maybe I just didn't use my brain enough, but I played for over 40 hours and that feeling never really went away. Never felt like I was making important decisions in battle. Just switching between ranged/melee when prompted and using the abilities that flash while making sure to nail the QTEs. Maybe targeting body parts on certain enemies.

I'm sure that might be different for some people who really learn the mechanics, but I never quite felt the need.

desu

Just got my guide from Amazon. 511 pages to accidentally spoil myself with. I did not expect the screen cleaner to be that big. It's almost the same size as my mouse pad!
bDlVZCQ.png

Wait its 511 pages? Man it seems the left like 75% out of the eguide? Kinda bummed that I bought it and not the paper guide.

MilkBeard

Also, make sure you are leveling up your artes. This has made the difference between getting stuck at a boss and narrowly being able to defeat it. That, and assign class skills when they unlock. This stuff makes a big difference in whether you win or lose.

Sölf;188138590 said:
Give me a moment, I try to do a really bad miiverse screenshot. I definitly reached that one with wall jumping.

found a spot to shoot at her from the issue is I can't do any of my skills because I'm a melee-focused character (commando) so just shooting her is useless when my attacks are position based haha.

You can reach that one on foot, but it's level 5 mechanical. There are one or two spots per zone that require the flight pack to reach though.

Probes aren't 'consumed' after you set/remove them, they're completely interchangeable(for a fee) for as many times as you want. You only get them from quest rewards, treasure boxes and filling in the collectopedia.

Thanks, that helps a lot. I'll be less careful with my probes then so I can find the ideal setup.

Dad

Is there a level gap where low level aggressive monsters finally stop attacking you? I know the original game had one but I can't remember how many levels that was

Sölf;188138590 said:
Give me a moment, I try to do a really bad miiverse screenshot. I definitly reached that one with wall jumping.

lol you're gonna hate me but I did indeed find a spot to jump at her from and wrek her shit. Go ahead and post a screen though I'm sure I wasn't the only one stressed out trying to reach her.

bumpkin

It's very much the same in those points. However, for some reason, I like this iteration of the battle system much more than the original Xenoblade. There are more options, skills, and elements to the system that have been added that make it more engaging. See my post above.
The battle system is a little bit button mashy, and that was my big problem with the original Xenblade. It felt like I was just standing around and pressing buttons. This game has improved it a lot by giving more weapons, more prompts and special hits. It also lets you attack limbs, which cause damage in different ways. For example, you can sever the tale of those gator-like enemies.
That sums up exactly how I felt about the original. Maybe I'll give X a chance. The stuff you mentioned sound like things that'd make it a little more enjoyable.

Chaos17

Sölf;188138482 said:
Thanks. But: Is crafting actually worth it? The main difference in quality are the augment effects, are they really that good?

I also completely missed that all those drops can be aquiered with tickets.

Roomate said they were less good than the ones he unlocked with the shop :x

Man0warr

Question: I have the original Wii U HD. Can I fit this game on it (with data packs or whatever)?

You don't need data packs if you buy digitally. If you buy physical, the packs take up about 10-12 gb of space and speed up loading.

If you buy digitally, I'm sure the entire game fits on a Deluxe Wii U's 32gb.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Question: I have the original Wii U HD. Can I fit this game on it (with data packs or whatever)?
Basic? No but you can put some packs on with nothing else. Download is 15GB and post-install is still 10GB.

Deluxe? Yes you can fit all packs on. Takes up ~1/3 of the Deluxe's built in space.

Edit - and yeah data packs are only needed for the disc. EShop version can fit on Deluxe (2/3 of default space). EShop version will not fit on a basic. Basic needs an external drive.

Robin64

How am I meant to engage enemies that fly above water? Case in point, this lowly level 10 Tyrant a Biahno River. It's just way out of range for shooting from the shore.

WVW69iowlzA5OulxN1

You don't need data packs if you buy digitally. If you buy physical, the packs take up about 10-12 gb of space and speed up loading.

If you buy digitally, I'm sure the entire game fits on a Deluxe Wii U's 32gb.

I think I have Deluxe so I should be good. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom