• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thud

I got attacked by a Grex, ran into the water, saw a few rocks in the distance and swam for it.

Apparently it's a small island with no name, with those crabs and a treasure which requires a mechanical skill of lvl 5. There's also Sven the Sturdy, a quest monster I think.

WVW69ioweXgYPSQcNi

In the distance you can see Primordia with the ceiling. Lucky find I guess haha.

Skyrimming mountains is so satisfying in this game

Also when I checked this morning nobody had beaten the level 81 tyrant monkey yet, probably because the game just came out but it was cool to see nevertheless.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The battle system is a little bit button mashy, and that was my big problem with the original Xenblade. It felt like I was just standing around and pressing buttons. This game has improved it a lot by giving more weapons, more prompts and special hits. It also lets you attack limbs, which cause damage in different ways. For example, you can sever the tale of those gator-like enemies.

Xenoblade's combat was button mashy in the MMORPG hotbar sense, but at least you had much more active control over how the battle progressed. You could make a lot of active tactical decisions to respond to the situation. I feel like X replaced all of that with a Simon Says system that takes a lot of the control out of the player's hands.

MilkBeard

That sums up exactly how I felt about the original. Maybe I'll give X a chance. The stuff you mentioned sound like things that'd make it a little more enjoyable.

This game is just much more gameplay oriented. Xenoblade Chronicles introduced some cool ideas, but they were incomplete in my opinion. This game adds a bit more depth to many of those systems, and gives you more reason to run around the world exploring other than 'that place looks cool.' Unfortunately the story sequences haven't been as good, but there is so much content to get involved with that I end up forgetting about it.

Chaos17

Today, I did a bunch of normal and affinity quests to level up my low level characters on them. They ain't catching up fast though. I didn't had any trouble with any quests in particular at the moment, most of the time I had already the materials.

So I kinda spend my day in Primodia and will continue to level up those characters while doing Blade quests now.

tumblr_nyxym7SZue1s55i8ao1_1280.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
and gives you more reason to run around the world exploring other than 'that place looks cool.'

I didn't really feel like it did, personally (unless you're talking about NLA specifically). Curious why you feel this way.

MilkBeard

Xenoblade's combat was button mashy in the MMORPG hotbar sense, but at least you had much more active control over how the battle progressed. You could make a lot of active tactical decisions to respond to the situation. I feel like X replaced all of that with a Simon Says system that takes a lot of the control out of the player's hands.

I don't really agree, as you don't have to listen to what your teammates say. And I find that I end up causing stagger and topple more or equally as much as them. I think maybe with XCX I just understand the battle system more than I did in XC. That and having more customization options makes it a more personal experience.

I really didn't like the original battle system though, so any changes made would be for the better in my opinion. For those that really liked the original system, I can see why this might not be as good.

Honestly, in the next iteration, I wish they would just do away with auto attacking and make it more akin to Tales or Star Ocean. I think it would be much more engaging. You could still have the tactical parts intact, it would just be more manually engaging to have to physically attack and do your skills. Also, if they just gave you MP and allowed items it would give more depth to the system. But then again, perhaps some people like the fact that this system isn't like the usual JRPG combat system.

Hahahaha you know I get why many complain about this soundtrack.... It is so...... Random I guess. Haha but in all seriousness I think the actual quality of the individual tracks is insane, and if you take the soundtrack for what it is and what it's going for, it's somehow ended up as one of my favorite jRPG soundtracks of the last 10 years or so hahahaha. So weird and random.

I feel exactly the same way. The soundtrack is so outrageous and weird, I can't help but love it. I know after 100 hours of game time, some of these tracks are going to be burned into my memory for the rest of my life.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really agree, as you don't have to listen to what your teammates say. And I find that I end up causing stagger and topple more or equally as much as them. I think maybe with XCX I just understand the battle system more than I did in XC. That and having more customization options makes it a more personal experience.

I really didn't like the original battle system though, so any changes made would be for the better in my opinion. For those that really liked the original system, I can see why this might not be as good.

Honestly, in the next iteration, I wish they would just do away with auto attacking and make it more akin to Tales or Star Ocean. I think it would be much more engaging. You could still have the tactical parts intact, it would just be more manually engaging to have to physically attack and do your skills. Also, if they just gave you MP and allowed items it would give more depth to the system. But then again, perhaps some people like the fact that this system isn't like the usual JRPG combat system.

If you don't listen to your teammates and hit the flashy icons or nail the QTEs, then battles will often go very poorly for you in XCX.

I'm not going to argue that you like one system over the other, since that's very subjective, but I just wanted to explain why I felt it was a bit of a downgrade.

jorgejjvr

So like, which probe is the one that gives money?

Any explanation somewhere as to what they all do?

There's so much to this game

R.D.Blax

Skyrimming mountains is so satisfying in this game

Also when I checked this morning nobody had beaten the level 81 tyrant monkey yet, probably because the game just came out but it was cool to see nevertheless.

I don't think any of the high level Tyrant have been beat yet. Their body count are just going up every hour tough

MilkBeard

I didn't really feel like it did, personally (unless you're talking about NLA specifically). Curious why you feel this way.

Reason one for me: Affinities felt like a waste of time in the original. They have you going about the world in XCX and they feel like substantial events that take place, and you can access many of them early on. These help ground the characters in the world in my opinion.

Reason two: Tyrants. Having these wild cards out in the world helps give you a reason to roam and fight monsters. Really, in XC, the monsters just inhabited the world, but there was no reason to engage with higher monsters, I felt. Now it has a bigger effect on you (slaying them helps your probe stats.)

Reason three: Probes. You explore, unlock fast travel, and get money and materials from probes. Side quests involve them too, so it gives you an active reason to go back out and change them up.

Characters will be spotted more often out in the world than XC. This was one of the flaws of the previous game: You have this big world, but it felt static, and simply big just to be big. Little changes like this help out a lot in making the world feel more real.

In XC, you would open up new areas simply to access new parts of the story. It's not the primary motivation in XCX. You do gradually unlock new areas, but you always go back to the hub. Different side quests and story missions have you gradually going out to explore. In this sense, the gameplay is centered around exploring, instead of getting to point B to see the rest of the story unfold.

Then there is the whole Skell thing. It adds a new dimension to the world that didn't exist before.

Again, if the world isn't engaging you I can see why these things don't matter. But even small things like this help make exploring more interesting.

So quick question.

For those arms dealer missions where they want you to equip a weapon and do testing.

Does it HAVE to be you or can you get the mission done if a teammate has that weapon equipped?

So do you eventually get a good healer or can one of your current teammates become a good healer or are you supposed to take care of healing? Died to an easy boss because no one was healing.

MilkBeard

If you don't listen to your teammates and hit the flashy icons or nail the QTEs, then battles will often go very poorly for you in XCX.

That's not really the case; I always use my own instinct instead of what they say. I have not had any trouble with enemies in that sense. You can always level up your skills and use your own tactics. The character dialogue is merely there to help direct people to a successful path.

There might be other reasons why I like it more. I didn't really like the characters that much in the original Xenoblade, and the fact that I was stuck with the Monado with Shulk just felt like there was no room for my own choice or creativity. You can play as other characters, for sure, but it's just not the same.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
People have defeated it, but I think that was just a weird prolonged battle of using solely ranged weapons. I'd honestly think it's intended to be fought with a Skell even though it's a lower level Tyrant.
Yeah. I saw her and literally just auto-attacked from a ledge as she murdered my teammates with projectiles who fell into the pit trying to attack her. Was pretty hilarious.

Primordia trailblazing 3 is bugged for me

Obtain the data unit FN093 in primoridas green threshold

It takes me to FN 103

That's just great.. :/

Not sure if you figured this out - the thing you're looking for isn't that node, it's a collectable that's in that area. It'll be in the yellow circle area on your minimap - I found it on a little plateau.

Holy crap... I got 245506$ in game. It enough to buy the cheapest or second to cheapest Skell but they're still red. So I can't buy them until I unlock them in the story?

I'm in chapter 4 still.

Holy crap... I got 245506$ in game. It enough to buy the cheapest or second to cheapest Skell but they're still red. So I can't buy them until I unlock them ingame?

I'm in chapter 4 still.

Yeah Lin and Elma mentioned that you need a license and that you can't apply for it, they pick you. So you unlock it at some point(I'm not there yet).

R0ckman

Why are the options to bait enemies from groups so poor in this? It's arguably more needed in this than in Xenoblade.

Yeah Lin and Elma mentioned that you need a license and that you can't apply for it, they pick you. So you unlock it at some point(I'm not there yet).

It's 30 something hours in because it changes exploration drastically.

ViciousDS

Banned
Had to drive a good distance to get the strategy guide.....Gamestop was the only store with them and amazon doesn't get stock till like the 13th

So if anyone wants my digital code I'll on it to us when I get home. Ok back to driving lol

Mupod

So like, which probe is the one that gives money?

Any explanation somewhere as to what they all do?

There's so much to this game

Drop a research probe somewhere you've found a scenic location.

I'm level 20 and I'm sitting on like 800k because of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom