• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mupod

Scenic location?

think 'secret area' from the first one. It pops up with a different colour text when you find it.

Basically high up, hard to get to places. If you look at a segment from the probe placement screen it actually shows if there's one in the area and will also show if you found it.

Anyone else enjoying this more than Xenoblade? I was skeptical of all the design changes at first as Xenoblade is easily one of my favourite RPGs but i'm 20 hours into X and I can hardly put this thing down. It's not getting stale and i'm having an absolute blast. Love my Skell so much and I also kind of like how they throw you into the deep end and let you figure mechanics out on your own via exploration. It's without a doubt the best open world i've ever been in and one of the most fun RPGs i've ever played. I do pine for a Xenoblade-esque story but I hardly miss it when i'm actually playing the game. 20 hours in and there's still so much to do.

Mupod

After 17 hours I'm done with chapter 5 now. This game gets better the longer you play it.

I can't believe how long I went before I fully understood how important breaking enemy parts is. And I'm a Monster Hunter player. Combat makes way more sense now.

I'm about to craft my first weapon, not a huge upgrade but I wanted to do it just to understand how it works. Haven't messed around with gear slots much yet but the enhancement gem crafting is a lot more straightforward than the first game (unlike everything else about X).

Aeana

I can't believe how long I went before I fully understood how important breaking enemy parts is. And I'm a Monster Hunter player. Combat makes way more sense now.

I'm about to craft my first weapon, not a huge upgrade but I wanted to do it just to understand how it works. Haven't messed around with gear slots much yet but the enhancement gem crafting is a lot more straightforward than the first game (unlike everything else about X).

As far as that goes, is there an easier way to target enemy parts than walking around them and hoping the reticle changes to the one I want before I press R3 to lock it in?

Malus

Anyone else enjoying this more than Xenoblade? I was skeptical of all the design changes at first as Xenoblade is easily one of my favourite RPGs but i'm 20 hours into X and I can hardly put this thing down. It's not getting stale and i'm having an absolute blast. Love my Skell so much and I also kind of like how they throw you into the deep end and let you figure mechanics out on your own via exploration. It's without a doubt the best open world i've ever been in and one of the most fun RPGs i've ever played. I do pine for a Xenoblade-esque story but I hardly miss it when i'm actually playing the game. 20 hours in and there's still so much to do.

I think the gameplay, level design, and art direction have all taken massive leaps forward. The story isn't as gripping but I've only done 1 affinity mission, which gave a nice little bit of backstory.

It also improved some of the smaller issues with the original (slow menus, ugly armor with good stats, inability to prioritize sidequests, framerate during battles, etc.) though it's brought a few new problems of its own like dem faces and the party switching.

Mupod

As far as that goes, is there an easier way to target enemy parts than walking around them and hoping the reticle changes to the one I want before I press R3 to lock it in?

not as far as I can tell. Generally, toppling something will get you free access to whatever part you want. But yeah I didn't even know about the R3 thing at first and I was going INSANE trying to destroy the helicopter wings of a Mortifole (plant monster). There's a quest that requires you to fully break that part for a rare drop...it sucked, but I learned something from it so it was worth it.

One interesting thing is I have this Distinguished Uniform with a bunch of part-breaking bonus skills. Good defense too. No clue where I got it.

This is what I want to know, it's really annoying having to wait for it to magically change while I'm wasting precious time essentially doing nothing.

Grampasso

Only clocked 5 hours in the game so far but I like it a lot.
Currently in pathfinders, but I wonder how do you possibly rank up in the other divisions if you stick with the same one until the endgame? Are there any other ways to accumulate Division Points beside "the bonuses" you explicitly get for the activities enlisted in the division description? (Like completing missions, planting probes etc...)

Vena

Far as I can tell, aim the camera at the part and then "lock on" to it.

Only clocked 5 hours in the game so far but I like it a lot.
Currently in pathfinders, but I wonder how do you possibly rank up in the other divisions if you stick with the same one until the endgame? Are there any other ways to accumulate Division Points beside "the bonuses" you explicitly get for the activities enlisted in the division description? (Like completing missions, planting probes etc...)
You don't rank up the other divisions. Division points go into your BLADE rank/level.

You'll get some points for doing things other than the recommended activities (which give a bonus based on division). Picking up collectibles is an example. Curators will get 5 points while other divisions will get 1 point. What is sad is I can't find any tables of this info despite the game clearing telling you. Just do various things and notice when a number appears on the large division icon below the minimap.

I'm kinda confused when it comes to questing in this, is there anything that says the recommended level for quests? I'll wander out into areas only to find the surrounding enemies are too tough.

Matchew

This game is fantastic. X does a really good job of making you think you really are new to this planet and have to figure it out. From the story down to the way they don't explain everything. Here is this planet now go survive, love it.

Where do you get your Division Spoils?

MilkBeard

The hell is Doug. Guess I'll have to try and find him.

I think I'm connected wired via ethernet, but would it matter? Is it a common problem for Wii U because the speed is there.

Just in case people are wondering, there are certain 'hangout' spots that the map will show you on the gamepad. It shows me where Doug 'usually hangs out' and also Lao. It will show up as a check mark I believe. Just toggle what map icons show up on the gamepad map and it will eventually show you. touch it and it will tell you.

MilkBeard

I'm really impressed with the frame rate. Usually with big worlds, it means shitty frame rates. Rarely does this game drop, that I have found myself not noticing frame rate issues for almost the entirety of the time I've played. How they did this on the WiiU with the gimped CPU, I don't know. MonolithSoft are wizards. They should share their tech with other companies.

I can only imagine what this game would look like if they could take advantage of the PS4's power. It would top most games out today for sure.

cyba89

I think I enjoy it about equally. Some things are improved but other are worse (oh god, that music!).
I haven't got a Skell yet and I'm still not too deep into the story so my opinion might change.

But I think the story starts to get more interesting now (after ch5). And the story in the first game also took a while to pick up pace.

So I got to the very early part where my party splits up and I have to find them around the city which is dumb but whatever since at least it shows me checkmarks of where they should be on the map

Except Lin

I have no damn idea where she is supposed to be

ivysaur12

Banned
6 hours in now, just finished Chapter 3 and I'm taking some time just to explore and quest.

Even as someone who played the first Xenoblade religiously, I'm super overwhelmed with a lot of the new systems. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but there's just so much here that it's going to take some time to get used to it all and all of the options available to me.

Also, I'm not feeling New LA? It just feels like because everything's all in one place (and the art direction of NLA is so much worse than the rest of the game) that it all sort of jumbles together and feels simultaneously overwhelming but also not as interesting as Colony 9.

But this game is beautiful. Some screenshots I took:

WVW69ioww5cJkPUh7o

WVW69ioxS4sqmc0G5K

Also, the quest design is already so much better than it was in XCX.

MilkBeard

So I got to the very early part where my party splits up and I have to find them around the city which is dumb but whatever since at least it shows me checkmarks of where they should be on the map

Except Lin

I have no damn idea where she is supposed to be
She is usually hanging out in the kitchen of the barracks, at least for me. She is the first one I saw.

Jims

Starting to get the hang of the aura and the team combos and stuff... The flashing icons are really helpful. I think Monolithsoft discovered that you can bruteforce the first Xenoblade by Arts mashing + healing, so they really built this system to make players more patient and strategic with them. I'm noticing that my current class seems to activate them a lot on my melee arts in particular. I'm tempted to start building a team with Soul Voices and abilities with a heavy focus on melee strings, but am suspecting that such an unbalanced approach is going to penalize me.

Anybody know how to get my division spoils?

Where do you get your Division Spoils?

Should be in that computer station in the BLADE barracks where you manage the squad stuff. Next to that giant door where you can enter squad missions or whatever.

Aeana

Okay, I'm at my wit's end trying to increase my survey rate so I can accept the chapter 4 mission. I understand that completing a task in a particular segment raises the segment rate, but how do I know what task needs to be done in a particular segment, or even if I've already done it in that segment? I don't understand why tapping on a segment in the view with the icons SOMETIMES gives a little info window but usually nothing happens at all when I tap it.

LProtag

So I know that the gamepad shows what kind of things you need to do in order to increase your survey rate, but is there a way to figure out exactly what it is you need to do? Like which tyrant to defeat or what treasure to find?

MilkBeard

Okay, I'm at my wit's end trying to increase my survey rate so I can accept the chapter 4 mission. I understand that completing a task in a particular segment raises the segment rate, but how do I know what task needs to be done in a particular segment, or even if I've already done it in that segment? I don't understand why tapping on a segment in the view with the icons SOMETIMES gives a little info window but usually nothing happens at all when I tap it.

Try doing some side quests, I ended up getting it after fooling around and finding more probe locations. Try to go to all the hexagons on the map that show there can be a probe.

Also, are you sure you have competed the other tasks that are required for chapter 4? There are two side quests that must be completed.

Zeroneo

Planting probes is probably the fastest way to raise survey rate.

jrush64

Banned
Is there anywhere I can go to get help on this game. I'm having difficulties with the battle system so far and I just left the barracks at the beginning.

Sakura

The easiest way to increase it is to just plant probes every where you can.
If you've already done a task in a segment it should look different.

Ulysses 31

You can get enough survey % by planting them probes.

Vena

This helped someone earlier in the thread with this problem. Completed Segments have a Shield+Star sort of thing on them.

The symbols on your map show you what you need to do to survey that area. The probes mean you need to install a probe, the wolf heads mean you need to kill a tyrant there, the paper means it will become surveyed as part of a quest, and the diamonds mean you need to scavenge a certain treasure.

I didn't spend much time in the world but I was at 20% for Primordia from just scavenging and setting probes. Only the probes give you info, but if you get a Research Probe up it will also fill in more information to the surrounding area. (You should have had a mandatory quest for probes and stuff before Chapter 4.)

Grampasso

You don't rank up the other divisions. Division points go into your BLADE rank/level.

You'll get some points for doing things other than the recommended activities (which give a bonus based on division). Picking up collectibles is an example. Curators will get 5 points while other divisions will get 1 point. What is sad is I can't find any tables of this info despite the game clearing telling you. Just do various things and notice when a number appears on the large division icon below the minimap.

Yes, I meant if I change Division only at the end of the game (I know I won't be doing this, it's just an example), will I be able to max its rank even if the reccomended activities have already been completed with different divisions? Seems like it, it will just be longer to achieve. So I don't have to worry about "losing" bonuses for specific divisions

See the icons in segments around data probes you've planted? They indicate the type of thing you need to do in that region. Sparkles is treasure, monster is beat a tyrant, note is relevant mission, and the last is relevant affinity mission. When you do the right thing, the icon will change noticeably

You can find more specific info by overhearing stuff from npcs with yellow speech bubbles

Jims

You can find more specific info by overhearing stuff from npcs with yellow speech bubbles

Oh, wow, so this explains it. I was just about to remark that it randomly says "New" on the hexes and I couldn't explain when or why. Like, one that highlighted a little blue circle for a mechanical field action, and that finished the hex. But now that you said that, I remember the little yellow smiley face icons in NLA and it saying it had updated my recon.

That makes so much more sense.

Some of the music is brilliant, and some of it (the tracks with lyrics) can be weird and distracting.

I'm pleasantly surprised by how much voice acting the first few hours have though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom