• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pity the poor souls that play this game without subtitles. In some scenes you can barely hear what theh are saying because of those loud vocal tracks in the background. Seriously, who thought that was a good idea?

Every once and a while this game decides you're having too much fun and it throws progression-blocking fetch/farm/whatever-boring quests at you until you can continue. It seriously hurts an otherwise solid experience. The first Xenoblade had the same problem with filler content, but at least in that game you could mostly choose to ignore the boring stuff.
but doing the sidequests were the best part of xenoblade

Zafir

What's a reliable way to gain more research probes?

I'm inundated with Mining probes, but totally lacking in research ones, which is kind of annoying as I think I need to get my revenue up for the Skell license chain?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Ok. So I looked in the customization screen for Soul Songs... So if I understand this correctly, the first part is what I have to do to initiate the challenge (the prompt)?
Anyone?

WarAdept

Down the line, do party members stay on the reserve list at all times? Or do I have to talk to them in NLA every time I need to switch out?

Because it's these little niggly bits that hamper an otherwise fantastic experience.

TheJoRu

Had to restart my Wii U to get my internet connection back.

original.jpg

Doesn't matter that much to me if I'm online or not for this game, but I don't like it disconnecting like that.

Damaniel

Banned
The small text is really bothering my nephew...he says after about an hour of looking at the gamepad and the TV back and forth also,he has to stop,his eyes hurt...

Is it really that bad...?

It absolutely is - it's the smallest text I think I've seen in a modern game, and it's nigh unreadable when you play it on the tablet screen. That said, there's a lot of information to convey so I'm not sure how much larger they could have made most of the text.

One (unrelated) thing I've noticed is that my character seems to do significantly less damage than Lin or Elma (they're doing at least 5 times as much by my estimates). Is that by design, or am I doing something fundamentally wrong?

Salbug

So for those of you who aren't disconnecting often in the game, what set-up do you have? Wireless or ethernet connection?

I'm on wi-fi, and haven't had any disconnects at all besides when the game JUST launched. After that though I only had one disconnect in the 22 hours I've been playing so far. I'm surprised I don't experience any disconnects when I pause the game via the HOME menu.

MihowZa

Banned
you can also purchase the part you need in the barracks - each one costs 22 squad points. If your Wii U is connected you should have the points you need to just buy them. That affinity quest is ridiculous in comparison to the others and I regret picking it up first.

Thanks!

I ended up doing that. Now to grind the rare farmer items.

Blues1990

I couldn't find the thread where you share your user created characters, so here's mine. Her name is Brianna. She's half Caucasian/half Indian, loves testing weapons in her spare time, and she hates bananas:

K5dBhAd.jpg

Wgh5oFa.jpg

gZXpEk8.jpg

El Odio

Banned
Noctilum, where the flower is going to kill you, that tree is going to kill you, and that patch of bushes is going to kill you @.@

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Okay so this has probably been asked before but is there an easy way to raise the survey rate? I'm blocked from the next story mission until I get this up to 15% or something and a lot of the probe locations are around high level enemies.

I really dislike this content gating, at least in the first Xenoblade you could ignore most of the side stuff with not too much consequence.

Zafir

Okay so this has probably been asked before but is there an easy way to raise the survey rate? I'm blocked from the next story mission until I get this up to 15% or something and a lot of the probe locations are around high level enemies.

I really dislike this content gating, at least in the first Xenoblade you could ignore most of the side stuff with not too much consequence.

Honestly, just sneak past or suicide run through the high level enemies to get the probes. You can recon the areas around probes to get survey up, but it's not always apparent what you have to do.

You'll be running past high level enemies a lot, so you'll probably want to get used to it. :p

MilkBeard

Every once and a while this game decides you're having too much fun and it throws progression-blocking fetch/farm/whatever-boring quests at you until you can continue. It seriously hurts an otherwise solid experience. The first Xenoblade had the same problem with filler content, but at least in that game you could mostly choose to ignore the boring stuff.

You're right about the tech being behind in a lot of places (lighting especially), but I'm actually really impressed by how well they've budgeted their resources to support the game they wanted to make on this hardware. Even on the design side there's some smart decision making going on behind simple things, like when NPCs LOD in and out based on threat level.
The reason it works is because every quality and limitation was carefully chosen to showcase the game in the way they wanted it to be experienced. In that sense there are some limitations but they kind of blend in and the strengths outshine the weaknesses. Honestly if we are going to compare tech to last gen, this game is on a different scale. Only a few games come close to this size, and if they did, the frame rate was god aweful. The one game i can think of that competes is GTAV, but if i recall, had worse frame rate, but an incredibly massive budget. My memory fails on finer details, and i do rememberbeing impressed by how GTAV ran on PS3.

I think i like DF's article on this game.

Rewind

Anyone know a good places to find Puges around lvl 10-16? Need a drop for an affinity quest but I can only find one. Luckily he's right next to a fast travel point but I've done this 10 times now and no drop.

Make sure you break the appendages, they drop items when they break.

Blues1990

Delivery update: the wait is still killing me.

Right here.

Really nice character.

Thank you for the link, man.

Yeah, I wanted to go and create a female character that had an athletic body type, but I hated that I couldn't readjust her bust size accordingly (B-C cup is what I originally wanted).

I was glad that I could scale her, as she's the tallest female character in my party. I couldn't find a cyborg arm, but I guess I haven't unlocked a set of armour that emulates that look.

Koeta

Anyone who got the guide selling or giving away the eguide code? I'm having a hard time with some quests and would like to have the guide but don't want to buy a $20 book really
:(

They have a very good art style (except characters) and they are clever in their design but the tech itself does not impress me at all because it is lacking far too much even by PS360 standards in terms of shaders, lighting and shadowing but it does have the scale and it uses it well with a very stable framerate.

Stable framerate and vsync (no tearing) are "tech" too and a tech that needs and eats lots of power, unfortunately a tech most PS360 and even many PS4/XOne open world games are lacking.

If the developers of monolith had decided to make sacrifices regarding gameplay and smooth visuals, they could have made a game with better shadowing/lightning and a 12-25 framerate with tearing, like most other open worlds games. Luckily monolith preferred the quality of visuals and fluid gameplay.

I tried to plug in the SE USB drive today. Only to find out through reddit that the .exe file inside it is broken and fucks with your drive group policy. How does this even happen?

mileS

Seeing lots of really BAD spoiler tags for this "twist" Not cool. Take a second and think about it before you post it, a warning goes a long way. I'm sure I'll get quoted with "a spoiler tag is warning enough" but whatever

TheJoRu

Anyone who got the guide selling or giving away the eguide code? I'm having a hard time with some quests and would like to have the guide but don't want to buy a $20 book really
:(

I don't have the guide, but it looks like Prima Games (who made it) are selling eguide-codes for $10: http://www.primagames.com/games/xenoblade-chronicles-x/guides/xenoblade-chronicles-x-eguide

Should be the same one as the physical buyers are getting, but as I said, I don't have the book so I can't confirm it.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I just love love looooovvveee the tyrant battle theme!
I was so pumped fighting that first tyrant!

Varg

Banned
Enjoying my time so far with the game. Question about the Gathering quests though. Is their anyway to know which area of the region drops the specific items you need or you just have to explore and randomly grab the crystals and hope for the best?

Kinda disapponinted at the end of chapter 3
the game just randomly decides those 3 minor characters are now full party members :|

Not_Mario

Neo Member
Chapter 5 spoilers:
Once you complete chapter 5 where can you go to edit your character? The Mim Maintenance building doesn't let me enter it. Is there something I have to do?

jwhit28

Still can't find my friends scout sitting around or through the search system. He sees mine outside his barracks every time he starts the game. It's amazing how long the game has been out in Japan but how little info there is on the internet. It almost feels like playing a game from the pre-internet coverage era. The strategy guide looks great but doesn't help much with the more obscure problems.

Sadist

Well, at lvl 18 now, started chapter 5 now; time for me to stop.

It's so easy to get sidetracked in this game..., hehe.

megalowho

Finished up Chapter 3 and it feels a good time to check the manual and clear up some of the concepts I'm still grey on. Really dense game but satisfyingly so, haven't felt too overwhelmed or forced to interact with systems before I wanted to.

Didn't know much about the story going in but it's an intriguing premise that lends itself well to the open nature of the game. Ended up playing for most of the day and will put more time in later tonight, definitely has its hooks in me. Scratching a dormant MMO itch and giving me flashbacks to FFXII and PSO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom