• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

desu

Thanks!

Another question, when can I make it flyable?

After chapter 9.

Also, it just turned night, loving it.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01v7set.jpg

imBask

Banned
Vistas are amazing to look at. Town and character models are pretty brutal.

Choreography of cutscenes is pretty painful too. So I understand where you guys are coming from.

Luckily most of your time should be spent out wandering in the good parts!

exactly, wandering is fun, the game is not about graphics and stuff but still... having characters basically stand is something resembling a t-pose during cutscenes is borderline unacceptable

Got my game today.

So I've been pretty blacked out on all the gameplay from start to finish. Is there ANYTHING I should know before I start so that I don't have to feel like I'm missing something later on?

Norhing comes to mind, have fun. Explore a lot! Also, no autosaves so make sure you save frequently.

SalvaPot

Got my game today.

So I've been pretty blacked out on all the gameplay from start to finish. Is there ANYTHING I should know before I start so that I don't have to feel like I'm missing something later on?

Check the Manual whenever you feel stuck or feel the game is not telling you everything. It saves lives.

Vinland

Banned
Lvl 9 here. Been playing 6 hours now. Working on chapter 4. Game looks great but could be better. Having a blast with the combat system
pun intended

exactly, wandering is fun, the game is not about graphics and stuff but still... having characters basically stand is something resembling a t-pose during cutscenes is borderline unacceptable
My pet peeve is the pause while characters look to the person they're interacting with AFTER they finish talking.

"Are you sure, Elma?" *puppeteer pulls string and slowly rotates puppet head towards Elma*

finalflame

Liking the game so far, but I'm still in the tutorial. One thing that has stood out is that it feels nothing like the original Xenoblade to me, universe-wise, other than the beautiful planet. The city having proper house-looking houses and cars + the dull grey buildings just makes me sad. Xenoblade's Colony 9 had way more charm off the bat.

With that out of the way, I'm having an issue. I keep randomly getting "Disconnected from server", but don't have any internet issues. Has anyone else gotten this? Is there a way to reconnect without restarting the game? I haven't found one.

Also, my GamePad battery is getting low and it seems the only way to dismiss the message is on the gamepad screen (pro controller doesn't work there). Do I really need to keep getting up to go to my pro controller to dismiss the message if this continues to be an issue? Its been pretty annoying :/

Got my game today.

90% of the game is not explained at all. You might want to look through the manual, especially if you find yourself confused.

Dad

Vague Chapter 5 spoilers

That "twist" was phenomenally dumb. Everyone just forgot to mention it to me? Are they serious?

So I have a question, this game hasn't been to hard until this boss fight in chapter 4, I kept losing so it asked to lower the difficulty, I clicked cancel but I have some nagging thing that I wabt to know for sure it didn't change, how can you tell?

Kyne

6 mins in.. what do I do during combat when that ( B ) circle appears and then shrinks? I thought I had to press B.. but nothing happened?

"I've been working on some Skell fan fiction..." lmfao just started the game today. This is definitely a read the manual before you play kind of game.

6 mins in.. what do I do during combat when that ( B ) circle appears and then shrinks? I thought I had to press B.. but nothing happened?

Hit B as the yellow line goes over the wider white line to get stat bonuses, soul voice, etc.

Come someone help me please?

At what point/story mission does the game talk about selecting a class (I'm pretty sure I can do it already but one story tutorial), raising skills like mechanical and archeological and doing online squads.

Also can you ever lose access to side missions on the Mission Board or talking to NPC's by moving to forward in the story.

I'm currently holding off on doing mission 3 but feel like I'm wasting the opportunity to gain experience in other things.

Choreography of cutscenes is pretty painful too. So I understand where you guys are coming from.

The poor choreography is really weird given how well executed the cutscenes in Xenoblade were. I wonder if different people worked on the two?

Considering the sacrifices they've made in tech it's not so surprising. Have you noticed the amount of pop in inside the city and how close they happen ? Literally everything pops in 10 meters ahead of you including prominent objects like large vehicles and Skells. It's not noticeable as much outside the city since the outside lacks complex geometry like the city so they can use the budget to show the large beasts from afar but except for that everything gets culled. All the alpha also gets culled completely the moment it's near the camera so particles, bushes etc disappear completely the moment they are around the camera. The shadows in this game are pretty much as basic as they can get, the main character often uses blob shadows for instance..that is some sixth gen stuff there.

They have a very good art style (except characters) and they are clever in their design but the tech itself does not impress me at all because it is lacking far too much even by PS360 standards in terms of shaders, lighting and shadowing but it does have the scale and it uses it well with a very stable framerate.

Huge/scale landscapes are not impressive at all when they are made of primitive geometry and little to no dynamic objects with the same primitive geometry. Huge landscapes can be done by both lastgen platforms, that's a no brainer. Ever heard of assets streaming? Streaming system allows you to make the world pretty much of any size, you're limited only by disk space. Problems occur when you want to make it alive - add croud simulation, traffic, weather, night/day cycle, physics. That's when a simple student level project becomes AAA title in a technical sense. And on top of that GTA 5 and RDR have a top notch render system - dynamic HDR lighting, dynamic shadows, better AA, weather simulation with proper rain implementation, atmospheric effects (it's not a day night cycle when you don't even simulate atmosperic scattering), post-effects, complex animation system etc. And with all of that GTA/RDR 5 has huge landscapes - just stand on a mountain and you will see huge draw distance even on last-gen consoles. Xenoblade just doesn't hold a candle in any possible category. let's be honest though, they did good for the budget and hardware they had, obviously it wasn't gonna touch Rockstar games technically, but they made the right sacrifices considering there budget and the hardware.

I decided to put aside affinity and side missions until I get my Skell license an can buy Skells because fuck running on this huge ass planet.

Diablos54

QeeaqN5.jpg

22 hours in and that's chapter 4 done! Was pretty tough sneaking/running past some of the enemies in order to get where I needed too, but fun! Still totally absorbed and I've got a long while to go yet, hardly explored the other 4 regions yet! TBH I'm not even thinking about getting a Skell yet, I sorta want to explore every region by foot before I take to the air.

Also what characters are everyone using? I'm trying my best to keep them all equal, but it's kinda hard when new characters are 7/8 levels behind!

VillageBC

Got my game today.

Read the manual. There are so many systems at play that aren't really explained. Play a bit, read the manual, play a bit more, read more. :)

HiroTSK5

So just that you know, the probe spot on that platform is level 5, so you can't even activate it xD.

I wasn't even going for that one, but that is useful information. I was going after the one south-west of that one but fell off fighting one of the mechs.

El Odio

Banned
You guys had to talk about the graphics. You may as well have sacrificed a goat to bring forth the demon graphics masters known as ninjablade.

I agree some stuff up close looks messy and the character animations are a bit eh at times but still.

What's impressive is that the town is actually fully part of the world. I.e. There's no load going in or out from the overworld.

I wonder if it would have been better to make it like the barracks and have it be and enterable are where a cutscene of a door opening plays and the area is loaded in.

It isn't like monsters can follow you inside (As far as I know?).

The poor choreography is really weird given how well executed the cutscenes in Xenoblade were. I wonder if different people worked on the two?
That's a good point. Just as one example, the Riki introduction/volleyball scene was fantastic. For that matter, Alvis's proper introduction. It's hard to imagine the same guys worked on this.

I'm wondering if maybe they did, but the amount of content just meant they had to cut some corners.

Whizkid7

Come someone help me please?

At what point/story mission does the game talk about selecting a class (I'm pretty sure I can do it already but one story tutorial), raising skills like mechanical and archeological and doing online squads.

Also can you ever lose access to side missions on the Mission Board or talking to NPC's by moving to forward in the story.

I'm currently holding off on doing mission 3 but feel like I'm wasting the opportunity to gain experience in other things.

Dunno about side missions, but if you open the menu and select "Party" you'll see an option for "Class" there. Once you max out your starting class you can switch between the unlocked classes at any time. Mechanical skill and the like you can raise when your BLADE level goes up which, along with online squads, gets explained as you progress the story.

Guys for the quest to be able to recustomize your character, I need to (post chapter 5 side quest)
talk to yardley below Admin. section
at late night, and I can't find the fucker. I'm pretty sure I'm in the part below what gives?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Also what characters are everyone using? I'm trying my best to keep them all equal, but it's kinda hard when new characters are 7/8 levels behind!
Oh yeah, I was wondering about that. In my case the guy was 10 levels behind! I don't like it when they force us to use other characters. I already have a dream team damnit!

Malus

That's a good point. Just as one example, the Riki introduction/volleyball scene was fantastic. For that matter, Alvis's proper introduction. It's hard to imagine the same guys worked on this.

I'm wondering if maybe they did, but the amount of content just meant they had to cut some corners.

Xenoblade 1 had a bunch of cutscenes of similarly low quality. I think the cutscene work just got stretched out more with the addition of affinity quests.

rhandino

Banned

Not every cutscene in Xenoblade was like that, lol, and a LOT of them are very similar to the ones on XenoX (from what I saw)...

XenoX also has a lot of good choreographed scenes going by the trailers and the first hours (like the introduction to Primordia, NLA and the one where they show Lin and Doug) but I'm going to guess that since the game is more open and big it's more likely that you would spend more time in between them?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Ok, this is amazing, idk if its because the battle system is different in general in X or I just understand the system that much more, but I got into a fight with a level 11 alien thing, and it was like the captain or something, he was a tyrant, you know, the ones that say they must kill all earthlings or whatever, I was in pause menu when I got spotted by him, I recognized the music so I was like "uh oh" and then turn around to see that he was level 11, while elma which I believe she leveled up afterwards was like level 8 at most, so my uh oh turned to "oh shit" but I was like fuck it and fought it anyways, and it was a rush, everything was flowing, lin unfortunately died because I accidentally used my defense art on myself instead of her during soul voice.

If this was the original xenoblade, I would have gotten destroyed.

foxuzamaki

btw, does your party member still level up/earn EXP if they died during the battle and didn't get revived but the team won the battle? or do they lose out on the experience?

foxuzamaki

The same people did work on this as you can tell from the opening cutscene, I mean, look at the mech battles, its just that since this game is bigger and therefore longer, aswell as affinity quests getting more attention, they have to spread it out more, xenoblade had a plethora of cutscenes of characters just standing around with lips that didn't sync even in the Japanese version, with probably even worse animation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom