• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

Vibed

Sigma's such a perv, hahaha,
The dialogue before you enter the Archives is gold, but he also makes a great comment in the Archives itself if you click on the desk again.

"O-Oh my God! Clover, don't move!"

"Huh? Is there something wrong?"

"I thought girls only did this pose in magazines! To see it in real life, and from behind no less-!"

"What's going on? I'm coming back out."

"Okay, man that was good."

jiggles

Banned
So, I got my first TO BE CONTINUED just now. (Going along the far right path)

Phi betrayed and ran off, ending the game. I assume the TBCs in this work like the one in 999 did where I have to know something in another play through to progress, but the difference being that they don't necessarily lead to the "True" ending this time.

Do people recommend exploring differences at the lowest branches (ie, just change the last decision you made), or going all the way back to the start?

LiK

Sigma's such a perv, hahaha,
The dialogue before you enter the Archives is gold, but he also makes a great comment in the Archives itself if you click on the desk again.

"O-Oh my God! Clover, don't move!"

"Huh? Is there something wrong?"

"I thought girls only did this pose in magazines! To see it in real life, and from behind no less-!"

"What's going on? I'm coming back out."

"Okay, man that was good."

yea, i wish that was shown on screen haha

Phi betrayed and ran off, ending the game. I assume the TBCs in this work like the one in 999 did where I have to know something in another play through to progress, but the difference being that they don't necessarily lead to the "True" ending this time.

Do people recommend exploring differences at the lowest branches (ie, just change the last decision you made), or going all the way back to the start?

feel free to explore the lowest branch. this game is very flexible.

Honestly I just worked from left to right, and bottom to top (changing of last decision). But anything works in this game.

Eusis

That one's one of the quickest to get past. There's already hints in that scene for what you should do.

Anyways, I mainly explored one branch as fully as I could, then jumped to another. Mainly did the Right first, then the Left, then messed with the Center. And if I unlocked a point I usually did it ASAP, unless I knew I needed more IE
bomb passwords

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
#startquote
GUUUAAAAARGH. I just solved the SHIT out of this puzzle.
#endquote

lol

jiggles

Banned
Cheers for the advice. I'll fill out the branch I'm on, then eventually work my way back to the top of the tree. I figure that way, the "reality" I'm playing will be fresher in my mind and I'm not jumping all over the place.

LiK

Cheers for the advice. I'll fill out the branch I'm on, then eventually work my way back to the top of the tree. I figure that way, the "reality" I'm playing will be fresher in my mind and I'm not jumping all over the place.

protip, if you highlight the flowchart boxes, they will give you info on what happened in there. very useful on figuring out what you did before and important for completing the game without a guide.

Vibed

I need help, I've come to a bit of a road block concerning Plot locks.
I've completed every ending but Phi's, Sigma's, Luna's and Quark's. Phi I never learned the No. 2 bomb code for. Quark is just a "to be continued" screen when Sigma has five minutes, as is Sigma when he needs to figure out where Alice went. Was I supposed to know the username for Luna? Where did I learn it...?

EDIT: Wait, I think I just needed to redo
______Sigma's ending._______
That was a weird design choice. Made me think I hit a glitch or something.

LiK

I need help, I've come to a bit of a road block concerning Plot locks.
I've completed every ending but Phi's, Sigma's, Luna's and Quark's. Phi I never learned the No. 2 bomb code for. Quark is just a "to be continued" screen when Sigma has five minutes, as is Sigma when he needs to figure out where Alice went. Was I supposed to know the username for Luna? Where did I learn it...?

EDIT: Wait, I think I just needed to redo
______Sigma's ending._______
That was a weird design choice. Made me think I hit a glitch or something.

if you feel stuck, play any other unplayed events and just keep going. impossible to get stuck.

Damn, crazy stuff is going down! This game is nothing short of a miracle when it comes to storytelling. It's so good!

The game simply won't let me put it down. Zero Escape series = the best thing to happen to gaming in a long time!

LiK

Damn, crazy stuff is going down! This game is nothing short of a miracle when it comes to storytelling. It's so good!

The game simply won't let me put it down. Zero Escape series = the best thing to happen to gaming in a long time!

waiting for you to finish and join the Spoilers thread. like old times.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Yep. Puts most big budget games to shame.

Gambit61

Dear Sandy,

tumblr_mc4ji65orN1qbd4sio1_400.gif

Still waiting for my copy to come in but delivery keeps getting delayed because of the storm. :(

LiK

Eh..... I feel hard pressed to call this a game.

Though I'm one of the crazies that doesn't consider visual novels to be the same as video games.

got puzzles. still a game. :)

Jake Hunter would be 100% Visual Novel since that had no real puzzles at all.

hatchx

Banned
Can someone catch me up on the status of the 3DS version and the bugs? I don't have a Vita and I really want this. I'm wondering if they usually patch these things of fix them in re-releases.

Jake Hunter would be 100% Visual Novel since that had no real puzzles at all.

But its a very small amount of puzzles :(

Also I'll be honest, I think it would have been better without the puzzles. The puzzles in my mind only existed to help set the pacing and give me a break from the story to piece things together.

Can someone catch me up on the status of the 3DS version and the bugs? I don't have a Vita and I really want this. I'm wondering if they usually patch these things of fix them in re-releases.

If you save in the PEC room (and maybe other puzzle rooms) the game can crash, and the save will be corrupted and you will be forced to delete the save. Only happened to me in the PEC room. The PEC room in general just crashes a lot. Not sure if exclusive to 3DS.

Some text on one of the files is cut off.

Those are the only bugs I know of.

Midou

Basically this. I don't consider visual novels games, but 999 and VLR are certainly games. About as much as Professor Layton at least.

16 puzzle rooms, some with multiple puzzles and a bonus solution for each is pretty good.

LiK

Also I'll be honest, I think it would have been better without the puzzles. The puzzles in my mind only existed to help set the pacing and give me a break from the story to piece things together.

i would say it's comparable to the Ace Attorney games except way less backtracking or to Layton but way less focus on the amount of puzzles.

i guess we can call it an interactive experience of mega epic awesome proportions category.

SmithnCo

I actually think there are a lot of puzzles, 16 with maybe an hour for each is pretty good.

i would say it's comparable to the Ace Attorney games except way less backtracking or to Layton but way less focus on the amount of puzzles.

i guess we can call it an interactive experience of mega epic awesome proportions category.

It is certainly awesome. But lets be honest, gameplay is not the main focus of it. The story takes precedence, and it focuses on using the medium in a unique way. Flowcharts and branching story paths don't work well with a non-interactive visual medium. The closest things were those crappy Choose Your Own Adventure Books.

Other games choose to use the medium differently, put gameplay first, and let storytelling take a back seat. I don't really find that to be a problem. Interactive visual mediums aren't the best for storytelling. Video games will never replace books, because books are almost always infinitely better for telling a story.

I love VLR, but I don't think it puts "big blockbuster titles" to shame when those titles are trying to do something far different with the medium.

L00P

Hey guys I'm gonna open this door. Are you ready?! I'm doing it!!!! I'm seriously opening this door! It's gonna be open in just a moment!

IMACOMPUTA

Man this thread is a minefield. Can somebody explain what is going on to me? To be continued? Now what? I'm on the rightmost path and forked left. First play through. Why can't I progress? What's it mean by "locked"?

Busaiku

Man this thread is a minefield. Can somebody explain what is going on to me? To be continued? Now what? I'm on the rightmost path and forked left. First play through. Why can't I progress? What's it mean by "locked"?

You gotta keep playing the other routes.

Leeness

BOOO.

Crew Quarters, what the heck. If you do the passcode for the keys and stuff, it boots you out before you can open the safe again, and you can't go back.

If you don't want to do Crew Quarters again, get the gold file first, before the keys -_-

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
BOOO.

Crew Quarters, what the heck. If you do the passcode for the keys and stuff, it boots you out before you can open the safe again, and you can't go back.

If you don't want to do Crew Quarters again, get the gold file first, before the keys -_-

I've always done that just incase something like that happened. D: I guess my cautiousness paid off.

Roto13

But... I want to continue this play through...
I don't get why this is happening. I'd like to play through the entire game with my decisions and then replay. Why is it forcing me to change my decisions?

Because that's the entire point of the game. Like, the whole, entire point of the game.

IMACOMPUTA

Yes, it will all make sense by the end, but it must be this way for it to.. exist.
So is nothing canon (not even in my own mind) then? I will see all possible outcomes/twists and variations? That seems really weird and is kind of bumming me out right now.. Of course ill continue playing.. But I hope this makes sense.

Roto13

OK these door opening and map sequences are getting fucking annoying right now.

Yes, for me, those are the absolute worst thing about the game. They never stop being annoying. If anything, they get worse the farther away you get from Warehouse A.

So is nothing canon (not even in my own mind) then? I will see all possible outcomes/twists and variations? That seems really weird and is kind of bumming me out right now.. Of course ill continue playing.. But I hope this makes sense.

Answering this question would spoil the game. It may or may not be canon. You'll find out.

Yes, for me, those are the absolute worst thing about the game. They never stop being annoying. If anything, they get worse the farther away you get from Warehouse A.

I must be the one person who doesn't mind them.

Pharros

Same here my friend. Accidentally stayed up until 4:30am last night playing and will probably do the same tonight. So freaking amazing... :D

Omikaru

But... I want to continue this play through...
I don't get why this is happening. I'd like to play through the entire game with my decisions and then replay. Why is it forcing me to change my decisions?

Edit: I think I'm being too spoilery, so I'll just edit most of this out. It doesn't help I haven't finished the game yet.

Just don't think of this being like a traditional "choice game", where you have a complete playthrough and can then go on to make different choices again on a repeat. I won't say any more, but if you're like me then you should cotton on as to roughly what's happening after about 10-15 hours of play. Just have faith that it will all make sense at the end and soldier on. :)

Top Bottom