• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

The puzzles in this one seem much harder than the one’s in 999. By brain is about to explode...

By the way guys, if you have headphones, use them for this game! Everything sounds so good!

Yeah the puzzles are way harder. Kind of sad about that to be honest. I play the game for the story, not so much for the puzzles. I do like figuring out the solutions and that "aha!" moment, but some of the puzzles were really annoying.

Agreed with the headphones.

I'm on what I assume is the final-final puzzle room of 999... please tell me that VLR lets you "fast foward" through content you've seen faster than 999 does.

These last couple playthroughs have been kind of frustrating, since I have everything memorized at this point but it still forces you to spend damn near an entire hour fast forwarding (and going-through-the-motions-puzzle-ing) just to get to the different path towards the end. I'd much rather just skip directly to the new pieces of dialogue (or even better, skip to a few moments before the new dialogue to give you proper context).

Not only does it allow you to skip old text faster, you don't need to start at the beginning of the game each time, nor do you have to repeat puzzle rooms. You can flash jump to any point of the story you have already done.

edit: As for proper context, there's a Log button that lets you review all the text spoken during a scene. So you can always get the proper context even if you skip over the old text.

LiK

VLR lets you skip anything you read already and you don't even need to hold the button to do it this time. And yes, it will NOT let you skip anything you haven't read.

L00P

I just played through the route where you pair up with Alice and Phi in the beginning, higher up in the flow chart. The story is like, hell of a lot different from the other two paths. You know, because of those...things. It also didn't have that...incident the other two main routes had, but maybe it'll happen later? I don't know yet, I've only played a couple of the branching paths so far.

And finally! A little bit of Phi's back story. And praise be to God that her conversation with Sigma about the important stuff happened! I've been waiting for that! Man, I should have taken this path earlier. But I'm kinda glad I didn't.

I just played through the route where you pair up with Alice and Phi in the beginning, higher up in the flow chart. The story is like, hell of a lot different from the other two paths. You know, because of those...things. It also didn't have that...incident the other two main routes had, but maybe it'll happen later? I don't know yet, I've only played a couple of the branching paths so far.

And finally! A little bit of Phi's back story. And praise be to God that her conversation with Sigma about the important stuff happened! I've been waiting for that! Man, I should have taken this path earlier. But I'm kinda glad I didn't.

Yeah I'm really glad I took that path last.

Ridley327

True Ending help needed:
What am I missing as far as what I need to do after going through the bit as Kyle? Where do I need to leap to?

Lusankya

True Ending help needed:
What am I missing as far as what I need to do after going through the bit as Kyle? Where do I need to leap to?

It's right under
Phi's ----------
ending, you have to beat all escape rooms on hard and find all golden files to unlock it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Tonight I found a guy who loved 999, and had no idea Virtue's Last Reward even existed.

I just made his fucking year.
You're doing god's work, Feep.

Just finished Tenmyouji's ending.

So...yeah.

I had my suspicions of 'could Tenmyouji be Junpei' (mostly due to Clover's route), but then I thought that I was probably over thinking things, but then I looked at that picture in the Director's Office...and holy shit. Crazy, but in the best way. Now, I just have even more questions. But...wow.

This fucking game, man.

LiK

Just finished Tenmyouji's ending.

So...yeah.

I had my suspicions of 'could Tenmyouji be Junpei' (mostly due to Clover's route), but then I thought that I was probably over thinking things, but then I looked at that picture in the Director's Office...and holy shit. Crazy, but in the best way. Now, I just have even more questions. But...wow.

This fucking game, man.

just the beginning man, expect more punches to the gut.

sooo I got to
dir room after like everybody dies beside Phi, sigma and quark and it goes to the computer saying "I remember the login/pw" but I obviously have no idea what its referring to. Do I just skip and do other branches? Its not a "to be continued"

deep spoiler for 1st branch

Just got Dio ending ( my first one )

i don't know what to think.. i have so many questions ...

but i've deduced that the best course of action is to do another route ...

FSLink

Banned
sooo I got to
dir room after like everybody dies beside Phi, sigma and quark and it goes to the computer saying "I remember the login/pw" but I obviously have no idea what its referring to. Do I just skip and do other branches? Its not a "to be continued"

deep spoiler for 1st branch

I exited out of that screen and I got a To be Continued.

LiK

Just got Dio ending ( my first one )

i don't know what to think.. i have so many questions ...

but i've deduced that the best course of action is to do another route ...

all shall be answered. just make sure your jaw doesn't drop too much ;)

I'm playing this really weirdly. Like I feel like going too deep is a spoiler if I don't go work all the other paths up to that point. I dont know.

I got Dio and Clover's endings and its just... wow

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
how do u get the gold file in the infirmary?

Scan the letter thing with the letters FOUND

As far as I know its a random solution and there arent any ingame hints.

Edit: I finished about 7/9 of the game. Phew. Quite a long game! And I like it that way! :) Cant wait to finally unravel everything. My latest revelation was Sigmas ending. Jeesh.

Ridley327

Edit: I finished about 7/9 of the game. Phew. Quite a long game! And I like it that way! :) Cant wait to finally unravel everything. My latest revelation was Sigmas ending. Jeesh.

There is an in-game hint to doing it, although the game itself never calls attention to it:

You may have noticed that the bedsheet and the grid puzzle share two things in common: the symbols and the fact that they're on grids. What you're supposed to do is count the number of symbols that reside on the icons on the bedsheet, including whatever is resting on the 4 and 5 icons. You get a password out of your counts to plug into the medicine drawer, which opens up the locked drawer that gives you the item needed to figure out the solution to the gold file puzzle.

Hope that helps!

thanks, did i miss something?
how did u get the word found? i musta missed a clue in the room somewhere

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
There is an in-game hint to doing it, although the game itself never calls attention to it:

You may have noticed that the bedsheet and the grid puzzle share two things in common: the symbols and the fact that they're on grids. What you're supposed to do is count the number of symbols that reside on the icons on the bedsheet, including whatever is resting on the 4 and 5 icons. You get a password out of your counts to plug into the medicine drawer, which opens up the locked drawer that gives you the item needed to figure out the solution to the gold file puzzle.

Hope that helps!

Ah thanks! The more you know.

Omikaru

Man, the fucking
Laboratory
room. Jesus fucking christ I hated that puzzle. I got it, but god fucking damn, I hated it. It was a combination of the things I hated the most. Probably the worst one for me to wrap my head around, if I'm quite honest.

LiK

Man, the fucking
Laboratory
room. Jesus fucking christ I hated that puzzle. I got it, but god fucking damn, I hated it. Probably the worst one for me to wrap my head around, if I'm quite honest.

i really enjoyed it. was easy for me tbh. there's a few other rooms which annoyed me cuz i they involved math.

I'm really interested in this game since I'm going on a couple long flights this month and reviews and word of mouth seem pretty good.

Sorry about asking this (I'm sure it's the 100th time it's been answered in this thread), is the game going to be fine without playing 999? I just don't have my ds right now, I really like a strong story above all else in games, but I'm concerned that the story is going to be just ok unless I play 999 first, thanks!

LiK

I'm really interested in this game since I'm going on a couple long flights this month and reviews and word of mouth seem pretty good.

Sorry about asking this (I'm sure it's the 100th time it's been answered in this thread), is the game going to be fine without playing 999? I just don't have my ds right now, I really like a strong story above all else in games, but I'm concerned that the story is going to be just ok unless I play 999 first, thanks!

NO. play 999 first. i don't wanna spoil why but just trust me on this.

Toma

NO. play 999 first. i don't wanna spoil why but just trust me on this.

Well, its still a good game without having played 999 first, but 999 before definitely enhances the experience and you, by all means, should play it if possible before playing VLR.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Interesting bit on why they went with 3D models:
Originally, we were anticipating that we will be using 2D for VLR’s characters, but we wanted it to work with the 3DS’s 3D feature. We now know that as long as you present it in the right way you can have awesome 2D characters on the 3DS, but at the time the 3DS hadn’t been released so we hadn’t seen evidence of that.

We were working under the assumption that 3D on the 3DS would require 3D models. Since our original idea used 2D character art, however, I don’t think we were really thinking of 3D models while we were developing the game at first.

For example, when we changed route to 3D characters, we were just thinking all we had to do was to portray the EVCG in real time rendering. (EVCG is the still shot you see when a special event occurs.) Unfortunately, the way the game was programmed wouldn’t allow us to do that, so we had to use pre-rendered images for the EVCG parts.

So to be quite honest, even though we used 3D models for the characters, it didn’t end up being that different from what it would have been like with 2D sprites. We couldn’t use the 3D to its full potential. That is one of the things we learned from this project.

But I think the people who made our 3D models did a really great job, especially considering the short amount of time they had. I’m satisfied with the quality. I would like to stress that fact.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Hm not sure how I feel about going forward on mobile, but regarding the 3D it's kind of unfortunate they made VLR a launch title in that case. I would've been willing to wait if it meant we could have sprites (and nice HD ones on the vita).

Does VLR scroll text faster than 999? Not when you're skipping stuff you already read, but the first time.

Buying a 3DS this week, and picking up VLR once the save corruption thing is clear.

LiK

Does VLR scroll text faster than 999? Not when you're skipping stuff you already read, but the first time.

Buying a 3DS this week, and picking up VLR once the save corruption thing is clear.

since there's voice acting, they don't need to have pauses or stuff like that with the text like in 999. you'll only notice that it's slower with Sigma since he's not voiced.

Midou

I wish ;-; I hope the next game goes back to 2D.

In general I'm a bit disappointed that titles like this, professor layton and phoenix wright went 3D models on the 3DS. Now that they have the capabilities of a higher resolution screen with beautiful 2D sprites, it all switches to 3D..

I know they try to look 2D and some of them do a good job, but 2D would have been awesome.

Roto13

That does make sense. I know I thought we'd be seeing a bigger shift to 3D models with the 3DS for the sake of the 3D effect. As it turns out, 2D sprites look awesome in 3D, though. Hopefully this means a return to sprites in Zero Escape 3.

So I decided to check out the English voice acting, and while most of it is the typical stuff I'd expect from an English dub, the VA for Zero Jr. certainly lives up to all the praise. Creative use of pitch modulation, speed, accents, and the like to create the sound of a utterly wacked-out AI. Quite impressive.

Top Bottom