• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

Jintor

I really miss my sprites :(

Got my first "To be continued" last night. Also, fuck the Ambidex game. At least I understood half the random bullshit that was being spouted in this Nonary Game.

Sigma is dumber than Junpei.

By the way, these 'hidden archive' passwords... are there, like, additional hidden puzzles in rooms that I need to find and solve?

Eusis

I kind of expect we will see a mix of 2D and 3D for the next one that is 3D environments (since they allow more gameplay-wise and were pre-rendered in 999 anyway), especially since they kind of blew off fully using the 3D in the 3DS anyway. I'm sure they could've made the still images 3D similar to 3D movies and pictures on the 3DS, and the models seemed unusually flat when they were talking anyway, basically the same as if they were a piece of 2D art over the background. And unlike other games that make the shift from 2D to 3D I doubt there even IS a significant budget savings for 3D over 2D, they only create a few animations and recycle them, it's not like a very fluid fighting game or anything.

Something else that comes to mind (don't read if you haven't beaten it):
it'd be kind of fitting to make the 3rd game have 2D art given how almost everything from the "present" time period IS drawn in 2D, whereas most everything the "future" period is in 3D. Unintentionally I guess they have a "3D is the future" thing going on, even though the games are 20+ years into our future anyway.

LiK

So I decided and check out the English voice acting, and while most of it is the typical stuff I'd expect from an English dub, the VA for Zero Jr. certainly lives up to all the praise. Creative use of pitch modulation, speed, accents, and the like to create the sound of a utterly wacked-out AI. Quite impressive.

man, it's just gets awesomer and awesomer. outstanding performance.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Got my first "To be continued" last night. Also, fuck the Ambidex game. At least I understood half the random bullshit that was being spouted in this Nonary Game.

By the way, these 'hidden archive' passwords... are there, like, additional hidden puzzles in rooms that I need to find and solve?
Wat. No...

Jintor

Only done one path so far so that'll probably change.

But so far: "what's the prisoner's dilemma?" "Explain this simple concept to me" "Goddamnit I can't stop making cat puns"

Get it together Siggy you're doing a phD and shit

Kazerei

Banned

In most rooms, there's a second solution to same puzzle that gives the safe password. In a few rooms, there's a second puzzle altogether.

UberTag

Wat. No...
It's fair to see how someone just approaching their first of many To Be Continueds could have that opinion.
Clearly it doesn't hold throughout the duration of the game (although, Sigma DOES remain a pervy hornball all the way until the end).

Jintor

In most rooms, there's a second solution to same puzzle that gives the safe password. In a few rooms, there's a second puzzle altogether.

In the crew quarters, for instance
I noticed another number on the screen when I dialed into the answering machine in Room 3
, was that something I could've used? I forgot to write it down.

Also, is there some kind of stylus I can buy that will work with the vita? Controlling this with my fingers is a drag.

I am about 10+hours in the game. I have yet to get any endings, I got to be continued twice. I feel a little guilty because i got stuck twice and had to get help from online message boards.

1st time:
in the room with the robots I couldnt figure out the second part of the password

2nd time:
in the security room, I couldn't figure out how to erase the words on the big monitor

LiK

I am about 10+hours in the game. I have yet to get any endings, I got to be continued twice. I feel a little guilty because i got stuck twice and had to get help from online message boards.

1st time:
in the room with the robots I couldnt figure out the second part of the password

2nd time:
in the security room, I couldn't figure out how to erase the words on the big monitor

feel free to use a guide if you want. no shame. i used it for some of the harder to find Gold Files.

LProtag

What system is this better on for graphics and sound quality? I'm split between getting a Vita and 3DS. I'm going to look for one during Black Friday sales and this will be a deciding factor.

Only done one path so far so that'll probably change.

But so far: "what's the prisoner's dilemma?" "Explain this simple concept to me" "Goddamnit I can't stop making cat puns"

Get it together Siggy you're doing a phD and shit

It's the curse of a game like this, that they need the main character to not be familiar with all of these concepts, because there has to be someone for everything to be explained to.

LiK

It's the curse of a game like this, that they need the main character to not be familiar with all of these concepts, because there has to be someone for everything to be explained to.

yea, sometimes Sigma does act pretty dumb for basic info that he should know but it's for gamers who are unfamiliar with some of the concepts in the game.

Jintor

This game fucking keeps you awake at night though.

"Oh, I'll just play a half-hour before I go to bed"

2 HOURS LATER: "OH FUCK, OH FUCK, WHAT THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED"

Jintor

tumblr_mccyrvE6Fy1qgdj69.gif

Yes there are but try involve the main puzzle you need to solve .

Jintor

Also probably the only game where i actually make use of the inbuilt memo function

even though trying to write with your finger is a fool's errand

Omikaru

So did anyone find the
treatment
room really easy? I breezed through it in about ten minutes or so. The only relatively tricky part was
getting the door to the treatment pods to open
, but even that just required patience, rather than any real thought.

About 24 hours in now. I'm on the last of my original forks before I have to go back to all my locks and so on. I'm kinda hoping to just rush through this bit so that the story gets moving again. At this point I think I've unlocked all the story and revelations I'm going to until I start progressing past locks, so I kind of just want to get past this stage now and start unlocking endings.

Vita's battery is dead, but I think I may just unplug the cradle and play some more in bed before I go to sleep. I think I can hold out until 2.30am playing (it's 00.30 now) before I'm really knackered.

SmithnCo

So did anyone find the
treatment
room really easy? I breezed through it in about ten minutes or so. The only relatively tricky part was
getting the door to the treatment pods to open
, but even that just required patience, rather than any real thought.

About 24 hours in now. I'm on the last of my original forks before I have to go back to all my locks and so on. I'm kinda hoping to just rush through this bit so that the story gets moving again. At this point I think I've unlocked all the story and revelations I'm going to until I start progressing past locks, so I kind of just want to get past this stage now and start unlocking endings.

Vita's battery is dead, but I think I may just unplug the cradle and play some more in bed before I go to sleep. I think I can hold out until 2.30am playing (it's 00.30 now) before I'm really knackered.

Yeah, that room was probably the easiest.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So as far as I can see no one from Aksys or Chunsoft give a damn about the crash/save corrupting problem in the 3DS version? I bought the game full price, and this problem of mine, who have decided to give my money to support those two companies, is not even getting taken care of or even acknowledged?

What, so as long as the Vita owners give all the holy praise to the game then it doesn't even matter what the 3DS owners of this game thinks?

Sorry if I sound rude, because I just got hit by the save corruption problem, and to be frank I am ticked off by the lack of response when I voiced my concerns earlier in this thread.

Volcynika

So as far as I can see no one from Aksys or Chunsoft give a damn about the crash/save corrupting problem in the 3DS version? I bought the game full price, and this problem of mine, who have decided to give my money to support those two companies, is not even getting taken care of or even acknowledged?

What, so as long as the Vita owners give all the holy praise to the game then it doesn't even matter what the 3DS owners of this game thinks?

Sorry if I sound rude, because I just got hit by the save corruption problem, and to be frank I am ticked off by the lack of response when I voiced my concerns earlier in this thread.

They've already said they're looking into it.

Omikaru

So I just got Clover's ending. What the fucking fuck?!

How fucking depressing is that? I thought all the character-based endings resulted in a successful escape with said character. That was miserable as fuck!

Though oh-so-totally worth it for the revelations. Things are starting to piece together now...

Ridley327

So I just got Clover's ending. What the fucking fuck?!

How fucking depressing is that? I thought all the character-based endings resulted in a successful escape with said character. That was miserable as fuck!

Though oh-so-totally worth it for the revelations. Things are starting to piece together now...

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It's kind of crazy how much more involved and complex the story to this game is compared to 999, and that's even with 999 being such an involving game. The further along I get, it seems like more and more concepts are constantly getting added in.

Jintor

I'm guessing tit for tat is the way to play Ambidex right?

Because fuck, unbridled optimism is not getting me passing grades right now

perorist

Unconfirmed Member

Well you have to go down every path on the flowchart anyways to hit the true ending. It sort of just becomes what you want to see first. I just did a straight up left-to-right sweep until I could get past the TBCs

UberTag

You need to start looking beyond getting bracelet points in the Nonary Game.
It's merely a means-to-an-end storytelling device.
If anything, the more compelling developments happen when you have LESS points.
Getting up to 9 is usually a one-way trip to bad end city.

Jintor

You need to start looking beyond getting bracelet points in the Nonary Game.
It's merely a means-to-an-end storytelling device.
If anything, the more compelling developments happen when you have LESS points.
Getting up to 9 is usually a one-way trip to bad end city.

I know you're supposed to, but I don't really like playing VLR (or 999) as 'oh well I guess I'll take this path instead now, oh videogames'

Omikaru

Oh my god. OMG. HOLY FUCK!

I just worked something out.

Potentially major spoiler. I'm doing the
Director's
Room right now.

Tenmyoji is Junpei! Why? Well...

1) There's talk of using the chryostasis to freeze 3 people (probably Alice, Clover and Sigma), so they could be in any time. Junpei has aged significantly, it seems.
2) Tenmyoji said he trusted Clover for some reason. Obviously he knew her from 999.
3) I was beginning to suspect this was the case, but then he revealed the photo of Akane during the puzzle. Oh. My. God. I'm sure they wanted the cat to be out of the bag by this point, so I don't feel super smart, but man. Makes me wonder what other holy shit moments are up ahead...

Another side theory, which is just a hunch, but I think K is another clone like Dio, and shares the same face as him.

UberTag

Oh my god. OMG. HOLY FUCK!

I just worked something out.

Potentially major spoiler. I'm doing the
Director's
Room right now.

Tenmyoji is Junpei! Why? Well...

3) I was beginning to suspect this was the case, but then he revealed the photo of Akane during the puzzle. Oh. My. God. I'm sure they wanted the cat to be out of the bag by this point, so I don't feel super smart, but man. Makes me wonder what other holy shit moments are up ahead...
That's one of the big mindblowing revelations in the game but you'll be happy to know there are still plenty more to follow. This one is probably the one that forces you to reprocess everything you've known up until that point and puts the entire game into a new perspective.

And yeah, Tenmyouji is Jumpy's last name. ;)

Just got Dio's ending.

What on Earth is going on? Dio's a clone? Phi is jumping around timelines casually? Earth is in ruins? I guess some of that ties in with my own theories, but a lot of it is also completely unexpected. Really not sure exactly how all of Dio's story ties in with anything yet, or even what time period he's from.

Every time I feel like I have an answer, ten more questions pop up at the same time.

Now that game over is some straight up bullshit.

(Left side of the right path)
So...Alice somehow regained consciousness and managed to make it all the way to the AB room and pick betray? But...how? I'm as confused as Sigma right now.

Top Bottom