• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT| Don't Compare Refs to Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
The Frankman said:
Billups HAD to be reacquired. Really, have you people seen what's out there? CJ Watson? Sebastian Telfair? There's nothing close to a good starting PG out there, at least Billups is a expiring in the same way Felton's contract is. I already covered this in my post in the offseason thread.

Why are people even questioning the move? Dude can run a halfcourt offense with his eyes closed and has a great understanding of pace. With a full offseason/practice with the team things will be fine.

Now the interesting thing is can they somehow find a way to reacquire Wilson Chandler...
FOURTEEN POINT FIVE MILLION DOLLARS

Is there anyone available that is better than Billups?

Is there anyone that can be drafted with the 17th pick better than Billups?

Could Billups be traded for a player of equal or greater value at that position?

Yeah, no problem here. You wish it wasn't $14.2 million for Billups, but it's not like he was going to take a paycut or anything.

Besides, the league is rigged and will yield CP3 in 2012 anyway, so whatever.

reilo said:
FOURTEEN POINT FIVE MILLION DOLLARS
Sho_Nuff82 said:
So fucking dumb.
a) It's for 1 year, so it's a massive expiring for a player who's actually not Eddy Curry (aka GOOD).
b) Please tell me the PG they were going to get to replace him.
c) see b)
d) Hornets were going to rob Knicks of every draft pick in history if they traded Paul, and they still might anyway.

Bread

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
I'm not opposed to the Billups pick-up. Come on, the guy averaged 17.5 PPG when he was playing healthy. Yes, he had a few off games, but at least he's smart enough to know when the ball isn't jiving with him and he starts looking for plays to boost his assist game. He's also the #2 best free throw shooter in the NBA, playing for a team that is the 5th or 6th most fouled in the league.
Billups being smart enough to stop shooting when he's not on is lolworthy. He shot 40% and 32% from 3 for the Knicks, averaging 17.5 points. Wow!

And I don't understand what the team's foul rankings have to do with Billups, the team had 2 superstars who can get to the foul line at will.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
I agree with the Knicks fans on this one. Billups was owed a decent portion of that $14 million if they didn't pick up that option anyway and there is nobody that they could get this summer that's better for next year.

They can look for a more long term solution in 2012. Whatever.

diehard

Fleer
Dark FaZe said:
Hold up...did chris paul get an extension? wat?
um a long time ago, him , Dwight and Deron are all 2012 FA's. Some good restricted ones like Love, Rose, Westbrick, and lopez are restricted, no way Rose does not get matched for the max though.

Rodeo Clown said:
I agree with the Knicks fans on this one. Billups was owed a decent portion of that $14 million if they didn't pick up that option anyway and there is nobody that they could get this summer that's better for next year.

This.

And now he's an expiring contract if someone like CP3 forces his way out in summer.

Knicks had no other choice. Although, only about $4 million was guaranteed. But still, there's no one else out there they could have replaced him with. Memphis is matching for Marc Gasol.

Rodeo Clown said:

... wait, are you saying D'Antoni can't run the offense with a stud PGs like Jose Juan Barea or Goran Dragic? What about Mario Chalmers or Daequan Cook?

In fairness, there IS one guy I've had my eye on as a fan: Aaron Brooks. But that dude is a restricted FA, and he might be batshit crazy.

numble

If the Knicks are already over the cap (I don't know if they are), it's good. If there is a lockout, he's going to get paid either nothing or some pro-rated portion anyway.

Rodeo Clown

The Frankman said:
... wait, are you saying D'Antoni can't run the offense with a stud PGs like Jose Juan Barea or Goran Dragic? What about Mario Chalmers or Daequan Cook?

In fairness, there IS one guy I've had my eye on as a fan: Aaron Brooks. But that dude is a restricted FA, and he might be batshit crazy.
You don't want Aaron Brooks. He's not that good and was just awful last season. And, yeah, spent most of last season moping.

Anyway now what the Knicks need to do is evaluate who they can get with the 17th pick. I still say sign a guy like Earl Barron (who'll be happy with 1 yr and 900K) but what do I know?
dIEHARD said:
Run the offense with Toney Scrublous, that guy is awesome and not a scrub at all.
Knicks need him to put up 30 off the bench when Utah comes around.

Billups is a net negative on the court, he freezes out teammates constantly and especially in the playoffs. Can't get past the first-round with him as point guard.

Putting up 30 against Devin Harris and Raja Bell is the confirmation test for being an NBA player. Guards who can't do that should find a new profession.

dIEHARD said:
um a long time ago, him , Dwight and Deron are all 2012 FA's. Some good restricted ones like Love, Rose, Westbrick, and lopez are restricted, no way Rose does not get matched for the max though.

Rose should go team up with Dwight and Deron, too much pressure in his hometown of chicago to win a ring.

diehard

Fleer
The Frankman said:
Don't you mean 10 points a game against Utah?
cuevas said:
Rose should go team up with Dwight and Deron, too much pressure in his hometown of chicago to win a ring.
Nah Deron needs a PG that can pass if he is going to play the 2.

dIEHARD said:
Run the offense with Toney Scrublous, that guy is awesome and not a scrub at all.
Why you hating on Toney? He's a bench player not a starting PG. Never was and never will be. He is our smaller version of Jamal Crawford without the killer cross-over.

diehard

Fleer
AgentChris said:
Why you hating on Toney? He's a bench player not a starting PG. Never was and never will be. He is our smaller version of Jamal Crawford without the killer cross-over.
Just a little back and forth me and Frankman have going. He is your version of our CJ Miles. Pretty much a scrub, nothing wrong with that though.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Putting up 30 against Devin Harris and Raja Bell is the confirmation test for being an NBA player. Guards who can't do that should find a new profession.
But it was OFF THE BENCH! That proves his worth!

Seriously, Knicks need a young PG. Toney has always been a SG, the PG experiment is hindering him in this offense. He doesn't look to score at point and he can't run the point well enough. If Knicks can draft one that would help alot, I wonder if they'll buy another draft pick like they're been doing recently.

btw Toney is NOT a scrub. He's a nice young player off the bench. Don't insult him by comparing him to CJ Miles.

dIEHARD said:
Just a little back and forth me and Frankman have going. He is your version of our CJ Miles. Pretty much a scrub, nothing wrong with that though.
I like Toney because he actually plays hard but he can't the offense worth a shit.

Rodeo Clown said:
Knicks should draft Jimmer.
Even if they could, they'd have to release Andy Rautins 1st. Knicks can't go over the quota of white players.
Gabyskra said:
You don't get it, do you? Getting Billups back means they won't be able to play any role in free agency beyond the MLE if there's even one after the labor negociations. Chandler can not come back.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27436869&postcount=122

so roughly what I JUST posted 6 hours or so ago.

So now that we've sorted out the PG thing, I want to see if it's possible for a full offseason of training with STAT and Melo, and a full offseason of work with D'Antoni could result in Billups learning the intricacies of the pick and roll. If he could get any efficacy with that, the offense could be glorious.

We also still need to get a center by any means necessary. Bring the black Russian over from Europe and have him work with the big club now. Bring Mozgov back (since invariably Denver will waive him). Do whatever is necessary to NOT have Jared Jeffries doing anything on a basketball court here.

SamuraiX-

Syphon Filter said:
Why do people hate Toney? He is pretty good,just needs to stop doing fouls.

He can't run an offense or play defense. Sucks in the half court. He constantly takes idiotic shots which sometimes go in.

Another SG in a PG's body.

diehard

Fleer
SamuraiX- said:
He can't run an offense or play defense and he constantly takes idiotic shots which sometimes go in.

Another SG in a PG's body.
So he's like Westbrook and Rose? Damn i was wrong, franchise PG right there.

Too late to go back on it now. Easy way to improve the team:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=3dv6t5j

This trade makes the Knicks better defensively, gets more touches for Melo and Amare, gives them one guy KG is scared of, and another that Wade and Rose are scared of. Heinrich's career 3p% is equal to Billups so he can spread the floor just as well, and even if he doesn't work out he's an expiring as well. Forget lollinger's projections, the Knicks have to make a move like this.

The Hawks get the 3 point jacking PG of their dreams so they can finally run the ALL-ISO-ALL-DE-TIME offense.

captmcblack said:
So now that we've sorted out the PG thing, I want to see if it's possible for a full offseason of training with STAT and Melo, and a full offseason of work with D'Antoni could result in Billups learning the intricacies of the pick and roll. If he could get any efficacy with that, the offense could be glorious.

We also still need to get a center by any means necessary. Bring the black Russian over from Europe and have him work with the big club now. Bring Mozgov back (since invariably Denver will waive him). Do whatever is necessary to NOT have Jared Jeffries doing anything on a basketball court here.
a) Jerome Jordan ain't Russian, he's Jamacian. They just sent him to Serbia to play and grow hair on his chest playing in a rougher-style NBA game where players fuck your daughters and pillage your children or so Darko Millicic told me. But yeah he needs to come over now.
b) Mozgov had a 3-year deal. Can't waive that. :C EMBRACE EARL BARRON FUTURE!!!
c) Donnie needs to find another player off the scrap heap, he's good at that.

EDIT: I don't know WHY Atlanta would do that, but their management has been known to make weird deals before. But the problem is Knicks would still need to cut Rautins first.

Barrage

Hasn't Billups said he'll retire if traded to a team he doesn't want to go to? Isn't that what held up the NJ Trade?

You ain't gonna be able to send him anywhere but a true contender.

DCX

DCX
The Frankman said:
a) Jerome Jordan ain't Russian, he's Jamacian. They just sent him to Serbia to play and grow hair on his chest playing in a rougher-style NBA game where players fuck your daughters and pillage your children or so Darko Millicic told me. But yeah he needs to come over now.
b) Mozgov had a 3-year deal. Can't waive that. :C EMBRACE EARL BARRON FUTURE!!!
c) Donnie needs to find another player off the scrap heap, he's good at that.

EDIT: I don't know WHY Atlanta would do that, but their management has been known to make weird deals before. But the problem is Knicks would still need to cut Rautins first.
Billups is back, this move proves to me they are going after a PG in 2012 so that means we draft a big this year. Faried, Bizmacmaybo, maybe Justin Harper ( non Italian Gallo ) and we sign Earl Barron to fill the roster out.

Turiaf/Stat/Faried:Bisquick:Harper/Barron with Jerome Jordan will be the crew we roll with.

PG- Billups/Douglas/Carter
SG- Fields/Walker/Douglas
SF- Melo/Williams/Walker
PF- STAT/Turiaf/Faried:Bizmaq:Harper
C-Turiaf/Barron/Jordan

DCX

DCX said:
Jerome Jordan is back, this move proves to me they are going after a PG in 2012 so that means we draft a big this year. Faried, Bizmacmaybo, maybe Justin Harper ( non Italian Gallo ) and we sign Earl Barron to fill the roster out.

Turiaf/Stat/Faried:Bisquick:Harper/Barron with Jerome Jordan will be the crew we roll with.

PG- Billups/Douglas/Carter
SG- Fields/Walker/Douglas
SF- Melo/Williams/Walker
PF- STAT/Turiaf/Faried:Bizmaq:Harper
C-Turiaf/Barron/Jordan

DCX

this will not end well...dat roster. goddam.

DCX

DCX
Dark FaZe said:
this will not end well...dat roster. goddam.
Exactly...I would have rather rolled with:

PG-Douglas/Carter/Routins:mid level
SG- Fields/Walker/Mason JR
SF- Melo/Williams/Brown
PF- Amare/Turiaf/Faried:Bizmak:Harper
C- DeAndre Jordan/Turiaf/Barron:Jerome Jordan:bizmaq

DCX

Pkaz01

Has this been posted yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlZKL6OpB3g

55e99ecc659c0e3049453a4d05d7a516.gif

and I did not title that youtube video.

Barrage said:
Hasn't Billups said he'll retire if traded to a team he doesn't want to go to? Isn't that what held up the NJ Trade?

You ain't gonna be able to send him anywhere but a true contender.

The Hawks are up 3-2 in a playoff series without Billups.

The Knicks got swept without Billups.

I think the Spurs hold home court tonight, but fall on the road in game 6. I just can't see the Spurs going out at home like bitches.

OKC and Miami should hold serve tonight and close out at home.

... I'm waiting for Trax to defend that Bosh video. Does Chris Bosh seriously not give a fuck? Is he trying to become a YouTube sensation or something? He's no Zack Ryder, woo woo woo!

Rodeo Clown

Black Mamba said:
I think the Spurs hold home court tonight, but fall on the road in game 6. I just can't see the Spurs going out at home like bitches.

OKC and Miami should hold serve tonight and close out at home.
They let Goran Dragic run them off their floor last year in the playoffs on the way to a Suns sweep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom