• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT| Don't Compare Refs to Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

_woLf

Bulls in 4
Heat in 5
Celtics in 5
Magic in 6

Spurs in 6
Lakers in 5
Blazers in 6
Thunder in 7

I have faith the Blazers can finally make it out of the first round this year. Other than that, I don't really see any upsets. :/

I wanted the Lakers to win tonight just to see Portland vs Dallas, but I really feel for the Kings. Bring back my Sonics :(

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
ugh. Dallas/Port and OKC/Nugs get more TNT games than us. That's really fucking lame. :|

Well, at least we got them for the 4'th game when NO is going fishing.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Bulls versus Pacers : Bulls in 4
Heat versus Sixers : Heat in 4
Celtics versus Knicks : Celtics in 5
Magic versus Hawks : Magic in 4

Spurs versus Grizzlies : Spurs in 6
Lakers versus Hornets : Lakers in 4
Mavericks versus Blazers : Mavs in 6
Thunder versus Nuggets : Thunder in 6

Thunder is going all the way, beeeeeeeliieeeeve.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
LEAST

Bulls versus Pacers
Heat versus Sixers
Celtics versus Knicks
Magic versus Hawks

WEST

Spurs versus Grizzlies
Lakers versus Hornets
Mavericks versus Blazers
Thunder versus Nuggets

Those are my picks, but I hope the Heat and Celtics get upset.

snack

siddx said:
Bulls versus Pacers : Bulls in 4
Heat versus Sixers : Heat in 4
Celtics versus Knicks : Celtics in 5
Magic versus Hawks : Magic in 4

Spurs versus Grizzlies : Spurs in 6
Lakers versus Hornets : Lakers in 4
Mavericks versus Blazers : Mavs in 6
Thunder versus Nuggets : Thunder in 6

Thunder is going all the way, beeeeeeeliieeeeve.
Your picks are really similar to mine. I have SA winning in 4 though.

Branduil

Black Mamba said:
p4d6r.jpg
Not true. He had Robert Horry.

Plus no Jordan.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
snack said:
Your picks are really similar to mine. I have SA winning in 4 though.

I'd like to see SA win in 4, but something tells me this will be another year of playoff disappointment for them, with a second round exit after a shaky first round.

Branduil said:
Not true. He had Robert Horry.

Plus no Jordan.

Are you really calling rookie Robert Horry a superstar?

Vernon Maxwell is pretty much the Jason Terry of '94. Horry and Marion. Kidd and Kenny. Otis and Chandler. Ellie and Roddy. Bullard and Barrea. All matches up well.

Except Dream >>>>>>>>>>>> Dirk.

Branduil

Black Mamba said:
Are you really calling rookie Robert Horry a superstar?

Vernon Maxwell is pretty much the Jason Terry of '94. Horry and Marion. Kidd and Kenny. Otis and Chandler. Ellie and Roddy. Bullard and Barrea. All matches up well.

Except Dream >>>>>>>>>>>> Dirk.
That's not saying a lot, there are probably not 5 players ever better than Dream. In today's NBA, there's not a single player of that level who can basically win on their own. And even Dream couldn't win until Jordan was gone.

cacophony

San Antonio over Memphis in 6
OKC over Denver in 6
Dallas over Portland in 6
LA over NO in 5

LA over Dallas in 5
San Antonio over OKC in 7

LA over San Antonio in 6
---------

Chicago over Indiana in 4
Orlando over ATL in 5
Boston over NY in 6
Miami over Philly in 4

Boston over Miami in 7 (this will be an amazing series)
Chicago over Orlando in 5

Boston over Chicago in 6
---------

LA over Boston in 6 (ew)

benjipwns

Banned
cacophony said:
When the Rockets went to the Finals in 1986, Michael Jordan only played 18 games that season and the Bulls lost to the Eastern Champion.

When the Rockets won the title in 1995, Michael Jordan only played 17 games that season and the Bulls lost to the Eastern Champion.

Bulletproof.

Branduil

wiid said:
nah, they gonna win it all. :)
At this point, if they don't win it all, they should all just retire. They have the easiest first-round opponent in history, and an easy path after that. They have no excuses for not effortlessly winning a title.

Branduil said:
At this point, if they don't win it all, they should all just retire. They have the easiest first-round opponent in history, and an easy path after that. They have no excuses for not effortlessly winning a title.

I wouldn't say easy, although our best punch beats every team.

Even last year, we only lost 4 games out West.

You can blame Memphis.

benjipwns

Banned
Black Mamba said:
It would have been more interesting if Ariza's game didn't fucking fall off a cliff.
Live by the fluke three point bombing, die by thinking taking more shots at a lower percentage will make up for it.

benjipwns said:
Live by the fluke three point bombing, die by thinking taking more shots at a lower percentage will make up for it.

yeah, that playoff run looks like such a fluke right now. Lakers sure got lucky to cash in at the right time!

benjipwns

Banned
Black Mamba said:
yeah, that playoff run looks like such a fluke right now.
You can count on one hand the number of guys who have shot at around that percentage (47+%) that many times a game (3.5+) in at least one season. And have your thumb left over. And two of them did it at the shorter line.

Guy got hot in the playoffs for a contender, everyone ignored he took only 43 threes before that season in his entire career, only shot 32% that season, etc. We could call it the Mike Bibby or Austin Croshere Award and hand it out at the end of the year.

If it was during the regular season, it'd be the Dana Barros Award.

benjipwns said:
You can count on one hand the number of guys who have shot at around that percentage (47+%) that many times a game (3.5+) in at least one season. And have your thumb left over. And two of them did it at the shorter line.

Guy got hot in the playoffs for a contender, everyone ignored he took only 43 threes before that season in his entire career, only shot 32% that season, etc. We could call it the Mike Bibby or Austin Croshere Award and hand it out at the end of the year.

If it was during the regular season, it'd be the Dana Barros Award.

heh, yeah. At the time I was wondering if he learned how to shoot or if it was a fluke. He was still young enough that it could have been real improvement. Obviously 47% is always above average, but if he developed into a 38% 3pt shooter it's not that unlikely to have a 40/84 stretch at some point.

But including those 84 attempts, he's a career 33% guy now, making that run look very improbable. And he's basically 32% in the 2 seasons since.

But the most startling thing about him is that the other stuff disappeared. Particularly his 2 point scoring. His long 2 shooting % is down quite a bit and he gets way less shots at the rim (per minute) these days. In Houston it made sense, but i thought being around Cp3 and West would help that.

Maybe he's just a system player. He needs the slashing lanes the triangle provides (or another type of motion offense like Sloan's).

benjipwns

Banned
Black Mamba said:
heh, yeah. At the time I was wondering if he learned how to shoot or if it was a fluke. He was still young enough that it could have been real improvement.

Maybe he's just a system player. He needs the slashing lanes the triangle provides (or another type of motion offense like Sloan's).
Yeah, the youth thing is really hard with players who actually put in the work to change their games. Look at Frye! Or even Troy Murphy after his disastrous rookie year.

There's also the fair point that he's been in two situations now where there aren't really any high-usage other perimeter scorers. Ariza did play and shoot better once the Rockets got Martin. (41% from three after the All-Star Break that year for example. And his overall FG% went up significantly too.) Paul is a superstar but he's not entirely comparable being a point guard and with his scoring profile. If your defense is on Kobe or Martin that opens up some perimeter options for the "weak" player.

He may indeed be a situation/system player offensively. I think his athleticism can deceive in that respect, might be one of those guys who becomes more valuable as teams stop trying to fit him into roles he can't handle. I remember some absurd Pippen talk post-title, for example.

Unfortunate for the Hornets, despite how good Landry is, regarding the Thornton situation possibly then.

benjipwns said:
Yeah, the youth thing is really hard with players who actually put in the work to change their games. Look at Frye! Or even Troy Murphy after his disastrous rookie year.

There's also the fair point that he's been in two situations now where there aren't really any high-usage other perimeter scorers. Ariza did play and shoot better once the Rockets got Martin. (41% from three after the All-Star Break that year for example. And his overall FG% went up significantly too.) Paul is a superstar but he's not entirely comparable being a point guard and with his scoring profile. If your defense is on Kobe or Martin that opens up some perimeter options for the "weak" player.

He may indeed be a situation/system player offensively. I think his athleticism can deceive in that respect, might be one of those guys who becomes more valuable as teams stop trying to fit him into roles he can't handle. I remember some absurd Pippen talk post-title, for example.

Unfortunate for the Hornets, despite how good Landry is, regarding the Thornton situation possibly then.

I think it would be fair to call him a system player, he's a 4th option, not #2. I watch some of the older games, and basically, he was wide open for a lot of those. I mean like no one within 5 feet of him because they were running to Kobe or Pau. Also, if you're hitting shots like that, your confidence grows, and especially when the best player of the generation is pumping you up, giving you his shooting manual, etc.

G4 against Orlando, he pretty much went into Demigod Mode, he also got inside Turk's head at times, especially in G5--right after they got T'd up, 16-0 run, game over.

And then his agent attempted to play hardball. :lol

Not gonna lie, I still love him, dude just needs a system. Might as well head to PHX.

benjipwns

Banned
Boombloxer said:
Might as well head to PHX.
I almost put this in the post. :lol

His Houston stint may have been different with Yao healthy and Martin full-time however because of those factors we've mentioned.

i usually don't think coaches affect a player's performance that much, but Phil seems to squeeze the last drops out of players. Shit has an experation date on it, though. I'm thinking around 2 years. After that point, they go dry and they're done.

Kwame, Devean George, Smush, Vujacic, Luke, Brian Cook, Ariza, Turiaf. Some of these players couldn't even do anything once they left LA. Mitch fucked up on Luke real bad though, cashed in right as his talents expired. lol.

Sometimes I look back and wonder how a team whose rotation heavily consisted of Kwame, Cook, Smush, George, Walton, Vujacic ended up with the 6th best record out West. Sure, Kobe was at his peak, but there's no way him and Lamar do that with another coach except maybe Pop. I watched all of it, but it still confuses me when I look back.

Also makes me smile seeing Von Wafer incapable of cracking that rotation but being the Celtics best wingman off the bench.
KuGsj.gif

I'll miss Phil.

overcast

LEAST

Bulls versus Pacers
Heat versus Sixers
Celtics versus Knicks- This is going to be hilarious.
Magic versus Hawks

WEST

Spurs versus Grizzlies
Lakers versus Hornets
Mavericks versus Blazers
Thunder versus Nuggets

Pretty typical picks overall. But the real fun starts in the second round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom