• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Finals |OT| Good Job, Good Effort

They won the first 2 at home, then lost 2 on the road (including a blowout where Dirk shot 2-14). Game 5 was really close and yes, Wade shot a lot of free throws, but it's not like he got every call down the stretch, Dallas had plenty of chances to win. Game 6 was close and Miami won.

I don't know how you can look at free throw attempts and think that proves anything when Wade is clearly very good at driving and initiating contact and they had Shaq on their team who's a free throw magnet

The amount of phantom calls that the Heat were getting was ridiculous. The refs truly wanted the Heat to win and it was not called fair at all. If the 06 Finals was called like last year, Mavs would have two Final victories.

Damn right.

Down 0-2, 4 straight to win the Finals.

Down 2-3, 2 straight to win the ECF.

Last year was the only anomaly and that was because of the new guy.

When the last time your bitch ass lakers came back to to win anything? Probably when you were riding on shaq's dick.

Hmm, the Lakers have two more chips in the last 4 years than the Heat have in their entire franchise history. And from what I remember, Lakers came back in 2010 to win the chip =D

KingKong

The amount of phantom calls that the Heat were getting was ridiculous. The refs truly wanted the Heat to win and it was not called fair at all. If the 06 Finals was called like last year, Mavs would have two Final victories.

you mean if Dirk played like he did last year, they would have won. Wade was the best player in the league in 06 and when Jet is taking the most shots on your team, well...

I think he conveniently he forgot we were 2-3 down against boston and came back to win.

mind-blown.gif

Ugh, my PC sucks. Two questions.

1. Is now a good time to upgrade?
2. Is it possible to make a good build with only $800 while needing Windows 7 and a new monitor?

KingGondo

Banned
Hopefully no one has already posted this.
Seattle Plunder

It's a Nation article about the Seattle Plunder with a tinge of labor rights thrown in.
I saw that. It reeks of naiveté.

It's no secret that pro sports (especially in America) are a cold-blooded business, and that teams are not public trusts or pillars of the community like soccer clubs in Europe. Owners are necessarily mega-millionaires (if not billionaires), so why should we expect them to behave like pillars of virtue? You don't get that kind of money by worrying about "ethics" or "doing the right thing." You get it primarily by being a greedy fuck, leveraging every opportunity, and looking out for your own.

The #1 factor that led to the Sonics move was Schultz's willingness to sell the team for a quick buck once he realized that this whole NBA thing is harder than he thought it would be. Bennett and the other owners smelled a ripe opportunity and pounced. If you think Schultz expected an ownership group based out of OKC to keep the team in Seattle, I've got some ocean-front property in OKC to sell you.

I get where he the author is coming from, but he's completely ignoring a huge aspect of ownership of a pro sports team: how good the owner actually is at it. Does anyone actually think the Sonics would be anywhere near as good as the Thunder are now if Schultz had kept the team? Would NBA fans be enjoying this incredible core of young talent if Bennett hadn't come in and hired Presti? At the very least, they almost certainly wouldn't have Westbrook and Ibaka.

Hate Bennett for his business ethics all you want, but he's a damn good owner.

Grimm Fandango said:
Wasn't there a way to watch Sonicsgate on the internet (not pirated)? Can't seem to find it now and I've been meaning to watch it.

edit: nvm found it on YouTube.
It's a great documentary, and I think it's extremely fair. Every Thunder fan should watch it.

Ugh, my PC sucks. Two questions.

1. Is now a good time to upgrade?
2. Is it possible to make a good build with only $800 while needing Windows 7 and a new monitor?

1. I wouldn't know personally. These guys are a better resource than me: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455869
2. Good? Eh depends on that definition. Since W7 and a monitor is at least $250, you can only spend $550 on the build. Look at this picture and it may help: http://s1002.photobucket.com/albums...lPCBuyingGuide/?action=view&current=Guide.png

No prob. See if you know anyone who has an extra W7 license. Will save ya $100 or so. You can get a nice monitor for $150 so if you're willing to spend $850 you will get a very nice PC.

no such thing as a nice monitor for $150.
IPS LED 23" bare minimum.
cheapest one i know is this AOC I2353PH 23 - Inch Widescreen Ultra Slim IPS LED Monitor with Dual HDMI E-ips.

Cowherd is killing it right now. Showing how absurd and warped peoples view on lebron is.
cowherd has been on lebron's jockstrap for years. let's not act he has an unbiased take on the matter. or the very least, an apologist.

Branduil

They won the first 2 at home, then lost 2 on the road (including a blowout where Dirk shot 2-14). Game 5 was really close and yes, Wade shot a lot of free throws, but it's not like he got every call down the stretch, Dallas had plenty of chances to win. Game 6 was close and Miami won.

I don't know how you can look at free throw attempts and think that proves anything when Wade is clearly very good at driving and initiating contact and they had Shaq on their team who's a free throw magnet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lX_qMS9bRY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuukM40T974
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fydhtOSlfW0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZKGlHfukc4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y8nI1PPYOk

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

KingKong

1. yes, in slo mo and at a different angle, that's not a foul. in real time, it looks like a foul

2. he impeded his progress inside the circle, looks like a foul to me. contact like that is called all the time in the NBA

3. bad call, no foul

4. same as 1, looks bad in real time

5. Dirk is clearly turning and getting in his way

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
1. yes, in slo mo and at a different angle, that's not a foul. in real time, it looks like a foul

2. he impeded his progress inside the circle, looks like a foul to me. contact like that is called all the time in the NBA

3. bad call, no foul

4. same as 1, looks bad in real time

5. Dirk is clearly turning and getting in his way

hahahaa

KingKong

Is this one of those times Kobe fans pretend him shooting a low percentage (which is consistent throughout all his years with Shaq, on a bad team and with Gasol/Bynum) is something we should just ignore?

Emwitus

Is this one of those times Kobe fans pretend him shooting a low percentage (which is consistent throughout all his years with Shaq, on a bad team and with Gasol/Bynum) is something we should just ignore?

.45 vs .49 is something you'll try and hang your hat on? He had a worse supporting cast, took more shots, shot more three pointers while averaging a higher number of points than wade(has higher efg%) etc etc Are you kidding me?

KingKong

.45 vs .49 is something you'll try and hang your hat on? He had a worse supporting cast, took more shots, shot more three pointers while averaging a higher number of points than wade etc etc Are you kidding me?

The rest of his numbers are better too. I'm not saying Kobe's season wasn't great, but Wade played better by every metric other than points per game and he achieved more

I mean, do you want to compare Wade's numbers (on a worse team) against Boston in 2010 against Kobe's championship team vs Boston in 2010? I don't think you do

Emwitus

The rest of his numbers are better too. I'm not saying Kobe's season wasn't great, but Wade played better by every metric other than points per game and he achieved more

I mean, do you want to compare Wade's numbers (on a worse team) against Boston in 2010 against Kobe's championship team vs Boston in 2010? I don't think you do

You mean the no knees kobe who had his knees drained and was much older? Oh wait...That must be wade vs The celtics this year, sorry.

KingKong

fine, ignore 2010. look at 2006. by what metric is Kobe better than Wade that year?

edit: Also you're pretty clearly obsessed with Kobe and it's unhealthy

Top Bottom