• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Finals |OT| Good Job, Good Effort

Ok, did somebody from GAF call in the morning drive by show to tell a Knicks fan to buzz off?

Sounds like someone here...

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
fine, ignore 2010. look at 2006. by what metric is Kobe better than Wade that year?

Do you understand the concept of usage and how goddamn exponentially more difficult it gets to score 35PPG versus 27PPG?

h3ro

Do you understand the concept of usage and how goddamn exponentially more difficult it gets to score 35PPG versus 27PPG?
Do you have any idea how hard it is to score 27PPG while nursing a chronic skin injury under your eye?

KingKong

Do you think Wade couldn't score 35+ on .45%?

Do you think Kobe scoring more points per game means he was the better player in 2006?

but, that's only 8 more points per game.
that's 4 more made baskets.
in wade's equivalent, that's 4 flops that lead to 8 made freethrows.

he could've if he wanted to!
but obviously, wade took the high road and scored less points.

Do you think Kobe scoring more points per game means he was the better player in 2006?

No. No way Wade can keep that up without getting hurt, either.

Kobe's main teammates were Luke Walton, brian Cook, Devean George, Kwame Brown, Chris Mihm, and Lamar Odom that season.

We saw what Wade did in about the same spot. He won 15 games and played mediocre, comparatively.

KingKong

Gosh I guess it's just too bad Kobe didn't want to score those points in game 7 against Phoenix. It's a good thing he's not a quitter like LeBron

reilo

No, because he hasn't. His chance to do it was in 2009 when he averaged 30PPG on 49FG%. That was Wade's ceiling.

No, Kobe was a better player that year for various reasons, one of them being that he scored more points per game.

Gosh I guess it's just too bad Kobe didn't want to score those points in game 7 against Phoenix. It's a good thing he's not a quitter like LeBron

lol. are you honestly telling me that Lebron tried in the boston series and kobe didn't vs Boston? lolz Kobe actually helped in other ways while LeBron simply said 'Check my $tat$'

reilo

Also, I would like to point out that this is the T-Mac versus Kobe between 2000-2002 argument in reverse.

So all of you Lakers-age taking Kobe's side right now in this debate: ead.

He had over 20 points at halftime and his team was down big. They lost the game he scored 50 in, as well.

He knew the team had to get going collectively. He didn't quit in a winnable game like Lebron. He didn't quit in a season like Wade.

I like that this cat keeps meantioning Kobe's FG% versus Wade's ignoring how Kobe shot over 400 more 3s that season.

Their eFG% was about the same. Kobe's FT% was better with about the same amount.

KingKong

I like that this cat keeps meantioning Kobe's FG% versus Wade's ignoring how Kobe shot over 400 more 3s that season.

Their eFG% was about the same. Kobe's FT% was better with about the same amount.

It's still higher for Wade (eFG and TS), so why was Kobe the better player in 2006?

PBY

Banned
And for Kobe, it wasn't the entire game, it was a half. LeBron gave up on the series vs Boston before game 6 even began. Nevertheless, why did you even bring up Lebron and Kobe when the discussion was about Kobe and Wade?
Okay- I didn't even like Lebron then, and youre changing the narrative there w that series

KingKong

This is very simple. I hope you don't think I'm trolling (except the game 7 comment hehe).

I said that Wade was the best player in 2006.
People in this thread freaked out
I pointed out the stats that show this
So far all I've seen is that Kobe scored more points per game

Okay- I didn't even like Lebron then, and youre changing the narrative there w that series

Oh really, now. Go back and watch games 5 and 6 vs Boston. Game 6 wasn't the beginning of LeBron going 'fuck ya'll, Im out' mode.

Cloving defending Kobe quitting, too :lol

True Lakers Fans.

Defending? No. I am simply pointing out that unlike LeBron, Kobe didn't quit on his team for the entire game(s). If you're an NBA player, its ridiculous to ever quit during the playoffs. Kobe will forever have the game 7 brought up and LeBron will have the Boston SERIES brought up.

reilo

Mamba defending Kobe's blatant Game 7 quit :lol

So good.

Not only that, but as I pointed out above, they went on a rampage when it was suggested that T-Mac was better than Kobe from 2000-2002.

Their reasoning why Kobe was better? "Rings, shooting percentage, efficiency" and so on.

So predictable.

reilo

This is very simple. I hope you don't think I'm trolling (except the game 7 comment hehe).

I said that Wade was the best player in 2006.
People in this thread freaked out
I pointed out the stats that show this
So far all I've seen is that Kobe scored more points per game

Answer me this...

Person A shoots 100 times at a target and hits it 50% of the time.

Person B shoots 25 times at a target and hits it 55% of the time.

Is Person B a better sharpshooter?

It's still higher for Wade (eFG and TS), so why was Kobe the better player in 2006?

It was under 1 percentage point higher. On 700 more shots. You think Wade could have shot that season 700 more shots and only lost ONE percentage point? LOL

Kobe played all 80 games he could (suspended for 2) at 41mpg. When did Wade ever average 40? Kobe was the team's entire offense. He was a better defender, scored more, etc.

Wade got to pick his shots a lot more seeing as how he was on a good team. Kobe had to hoist 6 3s a game just for the Lakers to be in games.

The only reason Wade had a higher TS% is because his teams won more games which meant he got intentionally fouled more. If he shot less FTs being on a worse team that season, his TS% would have been below Kobe's.

Wade was amazing in the Finals. But for all of 2006, Kobe was FAR AND AWAY the best player in the league. Wade would never have gotten that team to 40+ wins. Like I said, we saw Wade in the same spot and he couldn't handle it.

KingKong

Answer me this...

Person A shoots 100 times at a target and hits it 50% of the time.

Person B shoots 25 times at a target and hits it 55% of the time.

Is Person B a better sharpshooter?

1) Would Person B shoot at 50% if he shot it 100 times? This set up doesn't prove or disprove anything

2) Being scoring leader has nothing to do with being the better player (unless you think Durant was the best player the last 3 years, Wade was the best in 09 and AI was the best in the 2000s)

No. No way Wade can keep that up without getting hurt, either.

Kobe's main teammates were Luke Walton, brian Cook, Devean George, Kwame Brown, Chris Mihm, and Lamar Odom that season.

We saw what Wade did in about the same spot. He won 15 games and played mediocre, comparatively.

Why did you pick the worst and most unusual season to say "We saw what Wade did in about the same spot"

He did the same thing 2006 Kobe did in in 2009 and 2010

KingKong

It was under 1 percentage point higher. On 700 more shots. You think Wade could have shot that season 700 more shots and only lost ONE percentage point? LOL

Kobe played all 80 games he could (suspended for 2) at 41mpg. When did Wade ever average 40? Kobe was the team's entire offense. He was a better defender, scored more, etc.

Wade got to pick his shots a lot more seeing as how he was on a good team. Kobe had to hoist 6 3s a game just for the Lakers to be in games.

The only reason Wade had a higher TS% is because his teams won more games which meant he got intentionally fouled more. If he shot less FTs being on a worse team that season, his TS% would have been below Kobe's.

Wade was amazing in the Finals. But for all of 2006, Kobe was FAR AND AWAY the best player in the league. Wade would never have gotten that team to 40+ wins. Like I said, we saw Wade in the same spot and he couldn't handle it.

We did see Wade in the same spot multiple years (he was playing injured in 08 just like Kobe in 05) and he had about as much success as Kobe (kinda competitive first round loss). He took teams just as bad to 40+ wins.

Secondly, this shows that maybe they're around the same in scoring. Wade still has better stats. Talking about team quality doesn't mean anything because we're talking about who the better player is, not who had the better/more valuable season. Kobe wasn't a better defender. They're both about the same quality defenders.

Kobe was certainly not far and away the best player like, say, LeBron or Shaq or Jordan are, even if he did have the amazing 81 point and 60+ point games

We did see Wade in the same spot multiple years (he was playing injured in 08 just like Kobe in 05) and he had about as much success as Kobe (kinda competitive first round) loss. He took teams just as bad to 40+ wins.

The Lakers still own over 35 games that season with Kobe. And he missed a bunch of games. They had a winning record with him and Odom playing. But both got hurt. Wade won FIFTEEN games out of like 50. Oh, and Lakers coach had to quit mid-season.

Secondly, this shows that maybe they're around the same in scoring. Wade still has better stats. Talking about team quality doesn't mean anything because we're talking about who the better player is, not who had the better/more valuable season. Kobe wasn't a better defender. They're both about the same quality defenders.

Tyson Chandler is the best player in the NBA. I mean, he shoots almost 70%! Imagine if he shot more.

Amazing logic is amazing.

Kobe was the better player. The fact that he scored on the same efficiency taking 700 more shots proves it. And Wade is not that good of a defender. Kobe was at one time a lock down defender. Wade never has been. Wade is a gambler, nothing more.

Kobe was certainly not far and away the best player like, say, LeBron or Shaq or Jordan are, even if he did have the amazing 81 point and 60+ point games

In '06 he was. If you take Wade, you are a fool.

... and yet Wade never averaged 35PPG.

Wade has averaged over 28ppg ONCE in his career. 35ppg is so ridiculous in the current NBA, too. smh

Kobe was a better volume scorer than Wade.

Now you guys can move on to the rest of basketball.

So did anyone see that article where someone mentioned they should trade Pau for Amare?*

It was an instant "NNNNNNOOOO!!!!" from me

*Not sure if the writer was credible

Top Bottom