• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Playoffs |OT2| OKC VS LA: Black on Black Crime

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still like this current team. 2nd round was the ceiling before Sess came, and WCF was the ceiling after.

It's a tough position currently.

Kobe only has a few years left before he hangs it up. I'd rather he make a few deep playoff runs this, next season and maybe the season after that.

The other option is to blow it up and have Kobe struggle to make the playoffs with scrubs for the rest of his career.

The re-build shouldn't start til Kobe calls it a day.

This roster isn't competing for a chip, man.

Ever.

Pau is the reason those Laker teams could compete for a chip. Without a Kobe/Pau 1-2 punch, it's folly. And don't you dare mention Mr. Temperamental Bynum.

If this is what Kobe has for the rest of his career with a few tweaks, he may as well hang it up now.

I still like this current team. 2nd round was the ceiling before Sess came, and WCF was the ceiling after.

Kobe only has a few years left before he hangs it up. I'd rather he make a few deep playoff runs this, next season and maybe the season after that.

The other option is to blow it up and have Kobe struggle to make the playoffs with scrubs for the rest of his career.

Well apparently you already have Kobe throwing the entire team under the bus. HOw much longer do you think he sticks around before wanting to be traded (lol with that contract), especially if they get bounced the first round (not happening, but still)

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
What's the deal with Jordan Hill anyway? He seems like a decent backup. Or did the Rockets know about his legal trouble and thus wanted to get rid of him?

He got hurt, had a death in his family and Im pretty sure they knew about the legal stuff. I also heard he wasn't playing that well in practice and you get no playing time on this Rockets team if that happens. Then the chance to get a vet like Camby came so they traded him. Remember this was also when it looked like the Rockets were a lock for the playoffs before their choke job.

Rockets have always hated or gotten rid of players with legal issues. Actually most Houston sports teams have been like that. I was always shocked we got Artest or that they put up with Alston's shit for a couple of years. His ass would never have made it back on the team if he had done what he did to Harden in a Rockets uni.

linsivvi

Yeah, Kobe's and Pau's contracts expire on the same year, so that'd be the perfect time for rebuilding. If Kobe still wants to play by then he can re-sign with a much more moderate contract.

The sensible thing is to not extend Bynum and try to get rid of him. Too bad Jim Buss is not going to let his golden boy go away.

As for Pau, he's just Boozer before Boozer. There's a reason why he never won a single playoff game with the Grizzlies. As least you can depend on him during the regular season.

Rockets have always hated or gotten rid of players with legal issues. Actually most Houston sports teams have been like that. I was always shocked we got Artest or that they put up with Alston's shit for a couple of years. His ass would never have made it back on the team if he had done what he did to Harden in a Rockets uni.

I see. Well that's pretty understandable and so the Lakers knew what they were dealing with when they traded for him. Maybe I should cut Mike Brown some slack for not playing since he doesn't play well in practice and you just can't give minute to a new guy like that.

As for Pau, he's just Boozer before Boozer. There's a reason why he never won a single playoff game with the Grizzlies. As least you can depend on him during the regular season.

The weird thing is, in 2008-10, that fucker was balling in the playoffs too.

After he got his back to back, his desire fell off a fucking cliff.

This roster isn't competing for a chip, man.

Ever.

Pau is the reason those Laker teams could compete for a chip. Without a Kobe/Pau 1-2 punch, it's folly. And don't you dare mention Mr. Temperamental Bynum.

If this is what Kobe has for the rest of his career with a few tweaks, he may as well hang it up now.

I know that. But Kobe playing in the playoffs for a few more years is better than putting through a re-build he'll never reap the benefits of.

I agree. As long as Kobe is around and still a major factor the Lakers will never be able to attract a true star. The only way they can currently get one is via draft(bynum), a decent player who plays on a bad team that gets swept out of the first round every time they make the playoffs(gasol) or a player with so much baggage other teams are hesitant to get him(World Peace). No player wants to go and play second string behind Bryant.

Guess some players just don't have that fire.

Max Kellerman said it best:

"5 Championships isn't for everyone".

He was referring to Kobe and Jeter still being hungry after both winning 5 chips and how that drive/fire doesn't exist in everyone. You have to be hardwired for that shit.

I honestly think Pau would be just fine retiring if he never won another chip.

He is content.

linsivvi

A rebuild is for the benefit of the Lakers, not Kobe.

Most Laker fans still want to see Kobe play. It's for the benefit of the fans, and thus the finance of the Lakers.

There's also no guarantee a rebuilding effort will produce a better team than the current roster in the long term. Jerry West ain't walking through that door.

aznpxdd

Yeah, fuck, it sucks what has happened to Pau. He was an actual dominant presence on the offensive end a couple years back. :(((

A rebuild is for the benefit of the Lakers, not Kobe.

If Buss can turn the roster around in a couple seasons time (damn near impossible, CP trade probably would have done it.) then I could get behind a re-build. I'd rather Kobe walk off after beating a couple more teams in the playoffs rather than go out on a team that's Bobcats bad.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Adequately describes my Lakers championship hopes after watching this series...

fat-hawks-fan-dunk-fail.gif

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
But you know Lakers need somebody can score at least 15 a game. Wouldn't need to send much for him. Ebanks and a 3rd rounder? Or is he worth more?

3rd round picks go for a lot.

But Ebanks could probably give you similar meh stats on a rebuilding roster for a fraction of the cost (if Mike Brown played him).

3rd round picks go for a lot.

But Ebanks could probably give you similar meh stats on a rebuilding roster for a fraction of the cost (if Mike Brown played him).

Ok I see what you mean. Being a starter and only getting 15 mins? Kinda sad. Plus he won't prob get any PT the next game with Artest coming back

giri

I see lakers-age is completely shitting the bed tonight.

And the resolute Bynum defense force wasn't out in strength again, huh?

Even after his triple double.

DY_nasty

I see lakers-age is completely shitting the bed tonight.

And the resolute Bynum defense force wasn't out in strength again, huh?

Even after his triple double.

Most meaningless triple double of the year behind Kemba Walker's

masud

Banned
My worst nightmare. Seriously.

Idk man all those skip passes to the weak side aren't gonna work against the heat. They'll force a ton of turnovers. Plus the Spurs don't have the bigs to make things harder for Wade and Lebron. I'd be more afraid of the Thunder or Lakers(lol).

And the Lakers don't need to rebuild. They just need to make sure they're under the cap when Kobe retires and someone will gift them another title contending team.

giri

Idk man all those skip passes to the weak side aren't gonna work against the heat. They'll force a ton of turnovers. Plus the Spurs don't have the bigs to make things harder for Wade and Lebron. I'd be more afraid of the Thunder or Lakers(lol).

And the Lakers don't need to rebuild. They just need to make sure they're under the cap when Kobe retires and someone will gift them another title contending team.

iirc the heat 3pt defense has been atrocious all year, and thats exactly where the spurs CAN kill them, with shooters.

And they have 4 or 5 guys who are very good passers, not just 1.

And if they gamble and fail, the spurs have the ball movement to really make them pay.

I think the heat are favoruites but i'm not so sure it's easy. favourites in a 55/45 sort of split.

George Karl really is an amazing coach. Just watching him give his team more confidence with each game - wow. If only Mike Brown had 1/5th of that kind of inspiration to his players.

masud

Banned
iirc the heat 3pt defense has been atrocious all year, and thats exactly where the spurs CAN kill them, with shooters.

And they have 4 or 5 guys who are very good passers, not just 1.

And if they gamble and fail, the spurs have the ball movement to really make them pay.

I think the heat are favoruites but i'm not so sure it's easy. favourites in a 55/45 sort of split.

Lets not forget that the Heat slept though most of the season, their defensive rotations are on another level right now. Even still Miami's 3 point % against has no bearing on the amount of turnovers they would generate if SA was forced into cross court passes to find the open man all game. Wade and Bron would have a (track and) field day.

And I never said the Spurs would be easy for them, just easier than other match ups from the west.

The triangle isn't some magical spell that only certain coaches can cast to make teams better.

No, the triangle is magic. It's gonna save Amar'es career and turn melo into an efficient team oriented player. It just has to...

Darkman M

Lets not forget that the Heat slept though most of the season, their defensive rotations are on another level right now. Even still Miami's 3 point % against has no bearing on the amount of turnovers they would generate if SA was forced into cross court passes to find the open man all game. Wade and Bron would have a (track and) field day.

And I never said the Spurs would be easy for them, just easier than other match ups from the west.

No, the triangle is magic. It's gonna save Amar'es career and turn melo into an efficient team oriented player. It just has to...
What stage of grief are you on.

DY_nasty

Yeah right dy, you know that thing was like Knights of the Round linked with W-Summon materia.

I played some more XIII last night. :3
It didn't give you cancer did it? It didn't kill your parents?

btw, i'm digging through ffxii-2 again and its actually got some of the better dlc between rpgs.

but jeanne d'arc

omg

wifey

Was that in the off season? Yea? Oh, ok. Did he quit during the games? No? Ok.

except that i posted an example where he did and you chose to completely ignore it. not that it surprises me or anything.

by the way i challenge you to actually defend this game instead if trying to divert attention elsewherre for a change

h3ro

It didn't give you cancer did it? It didn't kill your parents?

btw, i'm digging through ffxii-2 again and its actually got some of the better dlc between rpgs.

but jeanne d'arc

omg

wifey
dy, I loved XIII! I've told you this multiple times. I feel like going back and playing more XII after I finish my XIII grinding/maxing.

I really hope we get HD PSN downloads of some of those PSP rpgs some day, I don't have the patience to play handheld games anymore.

(speaking of getting cancer and killing parents, my new avatar is again not of my own accord.)

hjQdD.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom